I dunno about y'all, but I think SRB2 needs more bosses. Sunset Over Chaos was my project to finally get as many of these boss ideas out of my system as possible.
Moreover, I decided to challenge myself by making all of them without using Lua. Why? Because I'm a weirdo who finds SOC fun. I even got to use A_UseCusValMemo. I NEVER get to use A_UseCusValMemo.
This mod is available in 2 versions. S_SunsetOverChaos-V1.1.pk3 is the intended experience, and features cutscenes to connect everything together. I assure you these seemed clever at 3am when I wrote them. S_SunsetOverChaos-nolore-V1.1.pk3 features all of the same gameplay, but no cutscenes.
This mod is reusable, and as such you are welcome to grab any bosses you like for your own levels- especially if you were just planning on throwing an Eggmobile over a lava pit or something. There may be some oddness with what any given boss needs for its stage though.
Special thanks to everyone who joined the public test netgames!
Also, I should probably mention somewhere that at least one sprite in there is stolen from Megaman 2.
- Appropriate to a first boss, The Sunset Fae will spend far less time invulnerable. Try not to bully her too hard. She's still invulnerable during her desperation attack- and don't even THINK about hiding in any safe spots!
- Sunset Kero keeps the rule of making you wait out a full attack cycle of iframes, but will now never jump more than twice in a row- effectively ending his iframes sooner.
- Sunset Vermin adds no longer give you any points when killed, so you can't use the level to farm lives. Thanks to Kays and Logan8r for bringing how to do this to my attention!
- Sunset Thunderbird has a bit less health than before. No one actually complained about this, but I felt the fight went a bit too long before.
- Ultimate Eggmobile's danmaku attack now ends a bit sooner, so it doesn't quite reach Touhou levels.
- Tweaked the numbers for the Ultimate Eggmobile's bumblebore attack, so it gets more attacks in before hitting the self-imposed bee cap.
- Also added a block monsters flags to Arid Crossroads death pit, to keep Eggman from getting stuck out of reach during certain attacks.
- Fixed a spot in Red Meltdown Zone where Sunset Ryu had eaten a wall texture.
- Made the final boss's desperation attack go faster, so you spend a bit less time running around in circles. Makes it feel more threatening too for some reason despite being objectively easier than before??
- Fixed a small color bug in the final boss's desperation attack that no one else seemed to notice but was bugging the crap outta me.
- Changed the implementation on a small WAD-on easter egg to flow better in the cutscene version.