Othius

[A person in a place]
Sonic Team Junior
Judge
[Update 5] Mystic Realm v6 (one week belated) Halloween Demo - & Mystic Realm v5.1

It's such a relief to finally get this over with.
Happy Halloween!... one week late. Yeaaahhhh this one's a bit overdue.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mystic Realm v6 development and Mystic Realm 5.1 development started at roughly the same time.
I had originally pitched a retextured Verdant Forest to Prime 2.0 back in late June or so, asking if would work for a potential Mystic Realm v5.1

His response went beyond what I was hoping for. He said it was too much for a v5.1, but that he'd work directly with me for a v6. Unfortunately I had to leave for a two week vacation around that time. But that didn't stop me. I decided to bring a shitty laptop with me.

I got a dev team set up of respected artists, mappers, and coders. Dave, Zipper, Krabs, So2ro, Zolton. At the same time we were all working on v6. We were also going back to v5 to do some polish work for a v5.1

It was by far the most productive I've ever seen a project in the span of 2 weeks. We had managed to make new enemies, new sprites for enemies, a revamp of Jade Coast 1, 2, 3, and Tempest Valley 1 to match the quality standard of 2.2. We had gotten full redesign of Mystic Shrines, new textures for stages. New emerald gathering system for v5.1. We had big plans to rework movement and abilities.

And it all fell apart in a day.
Some drama went down. People didn't want to work with Prime out of fear of their reputation. Most of the dev server left. Prime got banned.

Almost symbolically this was the day I left home from vacation.

Months later after development stopped, with anticipation still high. I decided I would release everything we had made for it. I figured Halloween would be a good date. I could give it a festive twist for its campaign and package all the normal stages as unlockables. I ran into quite a few hurdles, which was why it wasn't released on Halloween. But oh my god this is better than I could ever hope it would be.
Setting the Halloween demo up brought some new faces to the dev team, as well as some new contributions from original members. Seaballer helped finish and polish the Jade Coast revamp. RalphJeremy65 contributed these really clean HUD elements. Dave contributed new title cards and helped me with the Halloween conversion process. Apollyon contributed new recolored GFZ textures for Jade Coast.

Mystic Realm v6 Demo features:
* -Slopes!
* -Halloween Versions of Jade Coast Zone and Tempest Valley 1 and 3.
* -An all emerald final boss! (The emeralds are scattered around the Halloween stages, Master System style)
* -Every updated non-Halloween stage as emblem unlockables
* -Jade Coast (4)
* -Tempest Valley (8)
* -Verdant Forest (12)
* -Flame Rift (16)
* -New Title Cards by Dave Lite
* -New HUD by RalphJeremy65
* -New custom enemies by Zolton and Dave
* -Most of the SOC by Zolton
* -Final Demo homage voiced by CrystalCore

I also figured I'd attach a near complete version of Mystic Realm v5.1. A few quality of life changes over Mystic Realm v5.

Mystic Realm v5.1 Beta features:
* -You have to get the emeralds in the Emerald Stages now. No longer accidentally skipping them
* -New texture patches for Tempest Valley.
* -Too many minor changes to count.

Also attached with this is a short mishmash of reusable mods that I tested with titled Styles. I figured I'd put it because this is how I tested and designed the maps for. It includes
* -Rebound Dash and Uncurl, by Krabs,
* -Spring Frontflip by Crum,
* -Sloperollangle by Golden,
* -Classic physics by Rumia (I had set it up when Classic was reusable. Don't worry, I've gotten her permission.).
I made this pk3 initially because I was tired of having to go to the addons menu and load all of them at once during dev. It also served as a guiding prototype because we had wanted to make reworked physics and abilities. I had set up something that worked and was fun to play.
Just a fun tidbit, Styles at its core was one of the reasons for XMomentum, which also happens to be made for use in level packs.

I can't believe I finally get this over with. I've been stressing over this for a long time. It's a lot to get off my chest finally getting it out to the public.

I will do small bugfix updates. Please report bugs to me. I will probably not add new features, sorry. I'm done with this for now.

I hope you all enjoy this!

And a shout out to all of my playtesters!
* Slow
* Sylve
* DaJumpJump
* Inazuma
* Logan8r
* Frostiikin
* PencilVoid
* Tatsuru
* Appleblurt
* RalphJeremy65
* Starlight

MRv6HalloweenDemo-v1:
* -Release

MRv6HalloweenDemo-v2:
* -Amy now playable (lol)
* -Fixed a typo in the emblem unlockables
* -Fixed brightness issues in Jade Coast
* -Fixed a missing texture in JCZ1
* -Ending credit now works in green resolutions

MRv6HalloweenDemo-v3:
* -New capsule at the end of Tempest Valley 3
* -Knuckles can beat Mystic Realm Zone
* -Updated the unlockables list to reflect the actual emblem unlock amount
* -Raised the brightness in Jade Coast again

MRv6HalloweenDemo-v4:
* -Fang now playable (lol)
* -Fixed credits flowing off the screen in green resolutions
* -Fixed some untextured walls
* -

MRv6HalloweenDemo-v5:
* -All emblems are now collectible (lol)
* -Fixed line overflow in Extras Checklist
* -Blue Emerald is now more easily accessible
* -New ending artwork by DaJumpJump
* -Loads of polish and bugfixing
-Emerald Key when starting the campaign
-Edits to the custom capsule at the end of TVZ3
-Inner Sanctum is accessible through Record Attack and Level Select

Supporters/Co-Authors:

Attachments

• srb20963.gif
    srb20963.gif
    2.8 MB · Views: 40,127
  • srb20209.jpg
    srb20209.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 36,999
  • srb20210.jpg
    srb20210.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 37,653
  • srb20211.jpg
    srb20211.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 37,211
  • S_MysticRealm-v5.1beta2.pk3
    3.4 MB · Views: 4,992
  • VL_Styles-v1.pk3
    409.7 KB · Views: 2,491
  • V_MysticRealmHUD-v1.pk3
    34.7 KB · Views: 2,779
  • VSL_MRv6HalloweenDemo-v5.pk3
    4.6 MB · Views: 3,900
Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to FINALLY be done with this thing, time to get my priorities straight again. You really didn't need to re-texture all the maps, but you did it anyway... Makes good way for the normal stages and then some being extras though. But, I absolutely DIG this demo handling Chaos Emeralds differently, it encourages exploration and still allows players to legitimately get them all in this condensed package. The last-minute additions were nice, such as Coconuts actually getting a projectile, even if unfinished...

Back