SRB2 Battle! Multiplayer Gameplay Mod

SRB2 Battle! Multiplayer Gameplay Mod 8.6

Iveary

The "Toxic" Person.
It's probably just me but... the BattleMod ZoneBuilder configuration file in the Mapper's Manual word doc is still broken, putting that file in the configuration folder still gives me an error that renders me unable to make a battle map.

Iveary

The "Toxic" Person.
this is the message i get; and yes, I put the config file in the configurations file where the manual says it should be. (PC username) is just a substitute name for what my laptop username actually is:

Unable to load the game configuration file "SRB2-Battle-70.cfg". Error in file "C:\Users\(PC USERNAME)\Desktop\SRB2 zone builder\Configurations\SRB2-Battle-70.cfg" near line 9: Unable to include file 'C:\Users\(PC USERNAME)\Desktop\SRB2 zone builder\Configurations\SRB2-22.cfg'. FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'C:\(PC USERNAME)\Desktop\SRB2 zone builder\Configurations\SRB2-22.cfg'.

Last edited:
Cobalt I have just figured out one thing that is wrong with your mod and always has been. It's the instant retaliation. You hit somebody, and they can just thok you and you're unable to do anything to not get hit, as most super moves will leave you vulnerable. Getting hit allows you to do a Energy Blast, (Fang was able to use Popgun, i dont know if he can still), and this is even more of an issue now as you dont even need rings to use special moves, you just have to wait very very very slightly longer.
Most may disagree with me on this but I do not like the arena maps, there are usually pits everywhere and even bouncing off an enemy with the bounce move will just bounce you into a pit, punishing the player for hitting the enemy. I do not know if the ring and shield system is good for this kind of battle game, as hitting enemies in survival feels like you aren't doing anything UNLESS you knock them into a pit. It overall doesn't feel fun to play. You're punished for attacking enemies like metal sonic, who can energy blast, and Sonic who can insta-thok. Maybe there's some way you could disable abilities while you have invincibility from being hurt? Maybe you've already done it and the code is broken because you have put enough work into the mod as is and you have a life outside of SRB2? I mean, it's a possibility. I've always been a fan of Battle, but I don't know what exactly changed in the newer updates, it seems kind of weird. Maybe it's just some sort of nostalgia thing and I remember it being better than it actually was. Or just personal preference. Anyway thanks for making this mod, I know I often say dumb shit or act like I don't know stuff, or am just annoying sometimes, so sorry.

Slade Salad

Battle Mod Salad
Cobalt I have just figured out one thing that is wrong with your mod and always has been...
Well there is a way you can prevent this instant retaliation from a player, that was necessary since 6.1 and that's the parry. The parry meta is kinda difficult to understand, but the shortest is that if you hit someone and then if you manage to parry them, they will lose their invincibility frames allowing you to hit them once again, giving the oportunity to do this until they die or stop falling in the parry. About the arena/survival maps, I kinda agree with you here since they have a ton of pits but this is necessary in order to have punishment for doing a bad move in these. In fact, survival would be only running from the enemies and... that's it? since there is no pits and no punishment for running everywhere. Yeah, survival may not feel like the most competitive gamemode but let me tell you, if the point of that match is a 1v1 (since arena is kind of unfair in this) and you and the other player are trying to fight eachother and not running. I like your point of view, but I think that battle mod has improved a lot in terms of playability and game modes and there's also a meta game since then. Also one last thing, if you didn't knew, parry is normal fire.

mayo

We just need Modern Versions of the Main Cast plus Gamma and An 2.2 Resprite of Cream + the Maps of the GBA Classic to make the Full Sonic Battle Experience
Post automatically merged:

and Emerl and Gemerl...

Last edited:
Well there is a way you can prevent this instant retaliation from a player, that was necessary since 6.1 and that's the parry. The parry meta is kinda difficult to understand, but the shortest is that if you hit someone and then if you manage to parry them, they will lose their invincibility frames allowing you to hit them once again, giving the oportunity to do this until they die or stop falling in the parry. About the arena/survival maps, I kinda agree with you here since they have a ton of pits but this is necessary in order to have punishment for doing a bad move in these. In fact, survival would be only running from the enemies and... that's it? since there is no pits and no punishment for running everywhere. Yeah, survival may not feel like the most competitive gamemode but let me tell you, if the point of that match is a 1v1 (since arena is kind of unfair in this) and you and the other player are trying to fight eachother and not running. I like your point of view, but I think that battle mod has improved a lot in terms of playability and game modes and there's also a meta game since then. Also one last thing, if you didn't knew, parry is normal fire.
I wouldn't call the parry mechanic "good" but either way, you obviously can't parry in the air, and guess where you'll be when performing alot of special moves? The air.
It's kind of hard to make a competitive game around SRB2's mechanics, as rings don't really work as a health system, having maps that you can explore encourages running away, which some special moves arent good at dealing with (you're not going to catch a sonic thats running away from you with amy's slow tornado move) but having maps with no room to run also feels restrictive (arena), said maps also have pits which combined with srb2's knockback stuff can lead to stuff like "why did me using my special move on top of someone make me bounce off into the abyss, man i guess i was outplayed. " Capture the Point works well, but it has it's weaknesses too, fighting for the small bit of space, and it can feel kind of spammy or something. CTF also has it's weakness of being campy, but every game that has had CTF had the same problem, and I dont think anybody can just fix CTF or anything.

Also there's not really a reason for spending rings to allow you perform special moves faster, as spamming moves for most characters leaves you open anyway, and its not like you have to wait that much longer. Though I suppose if they do have 0 rings, they will be easier to knock out if they don't have a shield. I remember when shield storage was a thing, I think it got removed or something.
I kind of liked the resource gathering. dunno what else to say

Last edited:

Slade Salad

Battle Mod Salad
I wouldn't call the parry mechanic "good" but either way, you obviously can't parry in the air, and guess where you'll be when performing alot of special moves? The air.
It's kind of hard to make a competitive game around SRB2's mechanics, as rings don't really work as a health system...
I gave you a solution to the problem of hitting someone and being hit at the next second because the Sonic can easily thok on you, but if you don't think parry is really good... then you just hit an run, its not impossible to hit a Sonic then run away next second lmao. About performing moves in the air, that's more of a risk than anything else, you're open in the air because you decided to attack like that, if parry was in the air it would make actually no sense (that, because parry just stops you down until you can move from it again).

About the Arena/Survival maps, I can't agree with you in this part because these maps are made like this for you to not run away or make a bad move, instead fighting other people constantly without them having too much room to run away and being punished because of stalling or making a bad move; stalling was really dumb in match maps, and survival required a new map concept because... im pretty sure nobody would die that easily on a normal match map. But here a good thing about being hit a lot by a tornado or a move in any gametype and then being about to fall into a pit: Remember that Krabs is working on a new version of battle (Battle Community Edition, im not sure if this is gonna be an official release at some point, like 9.0) that introduces the Stun Break, a move that allows you to recover by using 30 rings as cost of it if you got hit.

About your point of view of CP, that's kinda true but CP is a mode that has not been updated that much since 6.1, and also it lags like hell with a lot of players so I would not really give a lot of criticism about it (because it was good in 6.1, then became kinda bad in 8.0).

CTF is the most competitive game mode at the moment, it encourages you to perform one of three possible roles there, which are Capture the flag and bring it to your base, protect the team mate flagholder or protect your flag base/chase the enemy flagholder that stole your flag and it's pretty fun to play this gamemode, unless you have a bad team lol. Saying that CTF can't be fixed is saying that you can't fix a good house, it does not need any fix because it's good and the problem is what it's inside of it and it can be improved, in this case, the maps. The Community Battle pack adds maps replacements that tries to fix stall spots (where you can sit and nobody can really find you or hit you there) and cramped maps, where you can't really run in the map trying to avoid 5 sonics that want to take you down.

About the ring spending, yeah it's a big problem that rings are kinda useless in some modes but the punishment of not having rings and doing a battle ability is high, the cooldown feels like hell and you can't really defend yourself with a battle ability by using the rings you have left when you have no shield, you simply want to save them until you get a new shield. And also, shield storage is still there, the old system was just different (basically, if you got a shield, your shield storage filled at full).

I would like to agree on some things that you said in this post but simply some things are different from what you say, though your point of view is not bad.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)