This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

Krabs

he/him
Sonic Team Junior
This addon is no longer in development.

Thok is for nerds

I've been toying around with custom sonic and tails movesets for a while now. While they're unfinished and probably somewhat buggy, I thought I'd release this to explain what I think Sonic could look like without the thok. There's also a major tails rework / nerf, some knuckles adjustments, and some universal changes that affect all 6 characters. Amy, Fang, and Metal have not gotten changes yet. This is an unfinished proof of concept, and the code's messy as hell.

Code:
Sonic:
Ability is now the double jump. It's no ordinary double jump though - there's some momentum redirection allowed. He can also perform a drop dash, and by charging for longer he can use a super drop dash or an ultra drop dash, which have even more speed.

Tails:
Ability is now 3 bursts of flight that allow him to gain height quickly and hover for a short while. His mobility may be reduced, but he now has the ability to enter a ball while flying, and has unlimited swimming. Overall, Tails is more agile while having less freedom to skip entire levels with ease.

Knuckles:
Tweaked the landing animation after a glide to be shorter and to not cut momentum very much.
Nerfed the height you can gain from gliding after a bounce

Spin characters:
Can recurl into a ball in midair by pressing spin
Can uncurl out of a ball on the ground by pressing spin
Buffed minimum spindash to 20

All:
Regain control shortly after being hurt
Can use jump abilities after hitting a spring, getting hurt, or walking off an edge
Refresh jump abilities after hitting an enemy
Reduced rebound from hitting bosses

Console commands:
freeaim (on/off) - allows drop dash and double jump to be aimed in any direction instead of using the camera angle (default on)
uncurltoggle (on/off) - allows the player to press spin to uncurl instead of releasing spin to uncurl (default on)

Monitor bouncing & dust devils don't refresh abilities
This will probably break some/all custom characters, I'm not sure

Credits / Thanks:
- Drop dash sprites by DirkTH
- Loosely based off scripting by CobaltBW
- Sonic moveset inspired by the work of CobaltBW (Drop Dash and Double Jump) & Chrispy (Pointy Sonic)

All scripting is free to reuse. Please credit DirkTH if the drop dash sprites are reused.

Attachments

• srb20287.gif
    srb20287.gif
    1.8 MB · Views: 706
  • srb20289.gif
    srb20289.gif
    6.2 MB · Views: 542
  • srb20293.gif
    srb20293.gif
    2.3 MB · Views: 509
  • srb20294.gif
    srb20294.gif
    1.7 MB · Views: 521
  • srb20295.gif
    srb20295.gif
    2.1 MB · Views: 491
  • srb20301.gif
    srb20301.gif
    3.1 MB · Views: 484
  • srb20307.gif
    srb20307.gif
    2.9 MB · Views: 514
  • srb20308.gif
    srb20308.gif
    5.2 MB · Views: 468
  • srb20310.gif
    srb20310.gif
    4.9 MB · Views: 534
  • VL_KRework-v0.1.pk3
    257.8 KB · Views: 300
  • VL_KRework-v0.5.pk3
    218.4 KB · Views: 360
  • VL_KRework-v0.6.pk3
    218.4 KB · Views: 639
Last edited:
Waiting for the inevitable "But how was I supposed to know turning more than 50 degrees penalises the speed of my burst, causing me to fall into the thornets in CEZ2?"

That being said, welcome to Releases! This is now a no-thok zone.

It's cool. I hope this can end the completely out of control debate that was happening about this...

---------- Post added at 01:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

Sonic double jump is bugged, when he gets grabbed by the spinning chains in CEZX he performs a second jump instead of the intended jump.

It's cool. I hope this can end the completely out of control debate that was happening about this...

---------- Post added at 01:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

Sonic double jump is bugged, when he gets grabbed by the spinning chains in CEZX he performs a second jump instead of the intended jump.

Hmm... ok man there is lots of bugs in alot of characters in srb2 and stuff

I'd also say that if you are playing in standard/legacy mode the dropdash should always go facing forward, I don't like it going wherever it wants to.
The same for the double jump thingy, it seems like something from simple mode, which shouldn't because I prefer it going forward, it messes up with my inputs and intentions.

---------- Post added at 01:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 PM ----------

Hmm... ok man there is lots of bugs in alot of characters in srb2 and stuff

This bug is completely related to this mod, I'm just pointing it out :v.

I'm so dumb, didn't notice the freeaim command was there. Although I still think it should be toggled off when outside of simple mode.

Fixed the CEZ chain issue

---------- Post added at 03:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 PM ----------

I'm so dumb, didn't notice the freeaim command was there. Although I still think it should be toggled off when outside of simple mode.

Even as a KB/M player who doesn't use simple mode, I personally prefer freeaim - I'm not a big fan of swinging my mouse around 180 degrees to save myself. If lots of people disagree, I'll change the default value to off.

Suggestion: Tails could use a little time hovering while doing his flights.

---------- Post added at 03:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

Even as a KB/M player who doesn't use simple mode, I personally prefer freeaim - I'm not a big fan of swinging my mouse around 180 degrees to save myself. If lots of people disagree, I'll change the default value to off.

Well, that's fair.

v0.3 is out. Fixed analog mode issues, fixed boss rebound issues, tweaked some sfx, and added a few things I missed to the change list which were present from the beginning.

I dislike freeaim abilities (jump thrust, this, etc.) because they constantly screw me over by rocketing Sonic off to the side when I'm just trying to make minor adjustments to my trajectory. I'm glad you at least included a toggle to turn it off.

One issue I noticed is that the double jump doesn't respond very well to key press duration. Note the difference in two barely pressed jumps.
attachment.php

Tails's new ability is interesting but rough. I think he should should enter tired animations immediately after the third use of flight to signal that you're out of jumps. Having both a short timer and limited uses feels excessively restricted especially when Knuckles can still glide indefinitely.

Also, is this intentional? Recurling feels like it should be a commitment.
attachment.php

Attachments

• srb20002.gif
    srb20002.gif
    2.7 MB · Views: 2,946
  • srb20000.gif
    srb20000.gif
    4.5 MB · Views: 3,207
Last edited:
v0.4 is out. Fixed both issues described by katmint, and also fixed drop dash angles in Simple mode.

EDIT: 0.5 is out. Fixed default value for freeaim being wrong.

Last edited:
Oh dear god,

I'm not sure if this was intended for release- as you never mentioned it in release notes, but Amy has this god-awful hammer jump with your mod. It's way to high, far too unwieldy, it's inconsistent on whether you'll come to a dead stop when you hit the ground, or retain your momentum, and it really screws with paths made specifically for her. You can shoot far into the air from a standstill without moving. Overall it just doesn't feel right.

Attachments

• srb21052.gif
    srb21052.gif
    7.7 MB · Views: 367
Last edited:
That happened because Amy uses mindash to determine her upwards thrust when hammering. You'll want to add a check to ensure the character actually has CA2_SPINDASH before overriding their mindash.

Last edited:
Oh dear god,

I'm not sure if this was intended for release- as you never mentioned it in release notes, but Amy has this god-awful hammer jump with your mod. It's way to high, far too unwieldy, it's inconsistent on whether you'll come to a dead stop when you hit the ground, or retain your momentum, and it really screws with paths made specifically for her. You can shoot far into the air from a standstill without moving. Overall it just doesn't feel right.

Definitely not intended, lol. I'll see if I can get a fix up soon.

EDIT: fixed

Last edited:
Adding The Derp with this will screw up how the bounce works and give you unlimited bounces.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back