This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Stay on topic. Try saying hi to people over private messages instead if you don't have anything else to contribute.
hey nookels!

i installed it using W.I.N.E. on ubuntu LTS 20.04 and it crashes on startup
I can't offer much help beyond linking the instructions again:

This passage seems relevant to your problem: "Note that the Wine package provided with many distributions, such as Ubuntu and it's derivatives, WILL NOT WORK. You MUST use the one provided by WineHQ's repository. Otherwise Zone Builder will install but will crash on launch."

Just a small suggestion after creating large levels with ZB.

Do you think it would be useful to just remove the button that turns on the visplane explorer? The reason I ask is that with today's level building in SRB2, that button quite often could just be labeled "Crash Zone Builder" (because the only thing it does after a point is crash the application and make you lose work). I have had that happen to me after clicking it by accident, which is possible because it is just above the node viewer button.

There does not seem to be any utility for users to check the visplanes these days to begin with, considering just how far removed SRB 2.2 is from the original 2.5D code.

Just a small suggestion after creating large levels with ZB.

Do you think it would be useful to just remove the button that turns on the visplane explorer? The reason I ask is that with today's level building in SRB2, that button quite often could just be labeled "Crash Zone Builder" (because the only thing it does after a point is crash the application and make you lose work). I have had that happen to me after clicking it by accident, which is possible because it is just above the node viewer button.

There does not seem to be any utility for users to check the visplanes these days to begin with, considering just how far removed SRB 2.2 is from the original 2.5D code.
New installations of ZB should already have the Visplane Explorer disabled by default, but existing installations can use the Modes tab of the Game Configurations menu (F6):
1636328757019.png

Ok,I have no idea what's going on here, and it's ticking me off. I have done nothing to my computer's graphics settings or to Zone Builder to facilitate this, but for some reason the program decided not to let me know where tagged liendefs are. It used to be that if I hovered over a Sector affected by a linedef, it would trace a line to where the sector is, but now I have to have the sector exactly near the effected sector just to see the tiny yellow line thats highlighted.

Also I have no clue how to make like like srb2 doom builder where linedefs with tags were bright colors you could see even when zoomed out. No matter what I try, it's some mix of red and whatever color you set the regular lines to.

Ok,I have no idea what's going on here, and it's ticking me off. I have done nothing to my computer's graphics settings or to Zone Builder to facilitate this, but for some reason the program decided not to let me know where tagged liendefs are. It used to be that if I hovered over a Sector affected by a linedef, it would trace a line to where the sector is, but now I have to have the sector exactly near the effected sector just to see the tiny yellow line thats highlighted.

Also I have no clue how to make like like srb2 doom builder where linedefs with tags were bright colors you could see even when zoomed out. No matter what I try, it's some mix of red and whatever color you set the regular lines to.
You might have pressed I by accident, which toggles event lines between tagged linedefs and sectors.

For linedef colors, go to View > Configure Linedef Colors..., where you can set any color for linedefs with actions, or even set multiple different colors for different actions. Aside from linedef actions, you can also customize various colors in Preferences > Appearance, although I assume you've found those already.

You might have pressed I by accident, which toggles event lines between tagged linedefs and sectors.

For linedef colors, go to View > Configure Linedef Colors..., where you can set any color for linedefs with actions, or even set multiple different colors for different actions. Aside from linedef actions, you can also customize various colors in Preferences > Appearance, although I assume you've found those already.
Thank you!
Post automatically merged:

1638162250307.png

This doesn't bother me and doesn't hamper my experience, but it does make me curious: why does this program randomly decide to load in the skybox in the 3D viewer? I have done nothing to the settings, not even an accidental button click, I started the program up, and bam! There it is! then I clicked out of the 3D viewer, clicked back in, and its this again.

1638162332831.png

Last edited:
This doesn't bother me and doesn't hamper my experience, but it does make me curious: why does this program randomly decide to load in the skybox in the 3D viewer? I have done nothing to the settings, not even an accidental button click, I started the program up, and bam! There it is! then I clicked out of the 3D viewer, clicked back in, and its this again.
Caps Lock and Tab toggle the rendering of certain features in Visual Mode, which you might be pressing by accident.

I want to try Zone Builder out so bad, but there's no portable version of it. It seems like an easy way to get into SRB2 modding (easier then making a character at least) but there's one barrier to entry that I can't break through.

Question: is it possible to enable the middle mouse button to pan view? Tried to set it in Preferences > Controls.

EDIT: Ah.... found it, it's in special input drop-down menu. ;>

Last edited:
WOAH! The Zone Builder is like you can build the srb2 levels or something as finally srb2 doom builder 1 (Lucky Doom Builder 1!) you can build it if u want :D

sphere updated Zone Builder with a new update entry:

Zone Builder v2.14

Zone Builder v2.14 has just been released. A small update this time, mostly focused on supporting some of 2.2.10's new features.

Full changelog:
  • Added feature: Updated the configuration file with 2.2.10's new additions.
  • Added feature: Visual Mode support for new 2.2.10 features:
    • Blending modes for FOFs & midtextures now display.
      • Known bugs: Modulative displays as translucent, and subtractive midtextures render invisible areas as...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Feature suggestion: add a "Delete" or "Clean MAINCFG" so that it properly removes the MAINCFG from the map. I usually do that to move the MAINCFG to a separate file (for pk3 packaging) and a resource file.

The issue is, once I delete the content from MAINCFG on ZoneBuilder, the editor starts showing a warning "SOC warning... Include file wadfile.wad\MAINCFG is empty". Or, if you start the game, it throws a warning "There is no word in MAINCFG" or something.

Last edited:
Any chance that the find/serach and replace function can look for exact matches for sector effect numbers? At the moment it's only a little better than a youtube search rersult in that it does get the exact matches, and several others that don't match. (recommendations)

A minor unintended behavior in 3D view: Fog Blocks (LD202) are rendered with the wall textures and opaque, differing from the behavior expected in game. The wiki says this linedef type doesn't render the wall textures, only changes "the light level of the control sector, or any colormap applied to the control sector, is made visible in the target sector".

This can be dismissed by pressing TAB.

Attachments

• 1647120718229.png
    1647120718229.png
    821.4 KB · Views: 103

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back