Super Mario Bros.

Super Mario Bros. Version 2.3

That "little trick" of running against a wall and fireballing just doesn't look like its a good fix to the problem the other people have mentioned so i was under the impression that there's not really a reason to remove it

i found a problem .. strange on mini mario ???????
srb20032.gif

DirkTheHusky updated Super Mario with a new update entry:

Version 1.2 - Persona/BattleMod Balances and Powerup tweaks

A new update for you all, this one addresses some balance concerns in Persona and BattleMod, while also tweaking a couple powerup abilities.

In vanilla, you can now damage enemies while Metal or Gold by simply running into them! Use that weight to your advantage.
View attachment 57699

You can now break walls and spikes using Mario's fireballs. This should hopefully be more obvious and easier to use than simply brushing up against them while throwing.
[ATTACH...

Read the rest of this update entry...

DIVE FIX! WOOHOO!!!
Metal Mario is now more Metal than ever. Love it! Just running into an army of small fry and destroying them all by slamming into them is great!
Making the fireballs destroy walls makes sense.
...I don't really have too much to add here, actually. Maybe I should discuss Mini Mario? I did a whole playthrough trying to get thoughts for that.

I kinda expected Mini to have slightly lower gravity, like a reverse Milne, but thinking about it for even a moment, I realized wouldn't like that. Last thing we need is a low-gravity character in a low-gravity area like Egg Rock Zone.
Mini Mario is VERY much a sidegrade from regular Mario due to the 1-hit kill thing, which is very notable considering having any other powerup can let you take FOUR hits in a row from full health. This might not come into play much when you're just platforming, but in boss battles? Yeah, keeping the Mini Mushroom past THEM is tough.
Deep Sea Zone's boss in particular is MUCH trickier with Mini Mario than others. If you run on the water, then slow down, you spend a moment unable to either jump or change directions. What advantage do you get? Eh, you can duck beneath the electric attack, I guess. Oh, and if you go outside the boss room, uh, don't. You'll die.
I was somewhat surprised when I noticed that only the hammer and the ground-pound dealt any damage. Those two. No dives, no jumps, no rolls. It took me a bit to notice, honestly, with how much I use the hammer; Being Mini didn't change how I fought against bosses like Metal Sonic. I wondered for a moment WHY ground-pounding wasn't the only way to deal damage as Mini Mario for a bit, and then Castle Eggman's boss appeared. Dives don't work, ground pounds are blocked... Yeah, hammer makes sense.
Honestly? Mini Mario is fine enough for me.

Oh, also grabbing the ledge here (not as Mini) killed me. Did the stalactite squish me or something?

The spot.png

Speaking of Mini Mario, would it be possible for crumbling FoFs to be unaffected while mini unless he ground pounds them? (Crumbling FoFs meaning platforms that fall after being stepped on, not breakable blocks)

Speaking of Mini Mario, would it be possible for crumbling FoFs to be unaffected while mini unless he ground pounds them? (Crumbling FoFs meaning platforms that fall after being stepped on, not breakable blocks)
What do you say ?????

may i ask why jump is a skill in srb2p in the first place? if it's identical to your standard attack its just taking up a slot doing nothing

I don't see the Mario music in SRB2P. I've put the music file in both the main SRB2 Folder and in addons. Is the something I'm missing?

I don't see the Mario music in SRB2P. I've put the music file in both the main SRB2 Folder and in addons. Is the something I'm missing?
Since SRB2P has no dedicated Addon menu, you have to manually add mods via the Console menu. Of course, if you never added the music into the game once you opened it, it won't show up; they're not files the game is looking for right from the get-go anyway, unlike the base-game music!

EDIT: So I was just informed 1.3 added an Addon Menu, so if it doesn't pop up there, it definitely is a weird problem. Hopefully it does pop up there though!

Last edited:
Since SRB2P has no dedicated Addon menu, you have to manually add mods via the Console menu. Of course, if you never added the music into the game once you opened it, it won't show up; they're not files the game is looking for right from the get-go anyway, unlike the base-game music!
it actually does have an addon menu now. Just add the music addon and go into the music settings to change battle themes. the dungeon themes will be changed automatically

it actually does have an addon menu now. Just add the music addon and go into the music settings to change battle themes. the dungeon themes will be changed automatically
Oh, it does? My bad!
I'm currently stuck with 1.2 since I use a Mac OS and have very little coding knowledge, so I didn't realize that part had changed. Thanks for letting me know though!

I kinda expected Mini to have slightly lower gravity, like a reverse Milne, but thinking about it for even a moment, I realized wouldn't like that. Last thing we need is a low-gravity character in a low-gravity area like Egg Rock Zone.
It actually does! Or rather, it reverts Mario back to normal gravity. Because, you see, Mario actually normally has slightly higher gravity than your average SRB2 character. When you're Mini, this code gets disabled to make you have lower gravity, which is actually just the default SRB2 gravity. And aside from Mini, Metal/Gold Mario actually do the reverse and increase Mario's higher gravity further.

Oh, also grabbing the ledge here (not as Mini) killed me. Did the stalactite squish me or something?
Not sure, I can't seem to recreate it. But if I had to guess it's probably the gargoyle since they have the ability to crush players.

I don't know, but it sounds like it'd get pretty hacky if it was possible, so I think I'd rather not.

may i ask why jump is a skill in srb2p in the first place? if it's identical to your standard attack its just taking up a slot doing nothing
It's to let you know "Hey, you have both Jump and Hammer attacks, and this is how they work". It'd be kinda odd for Hammer to be all by its lone-some and for Jump to never get explained. And ultimately it doesn't take up a skill slot since you can just replace it leveling up, which is exactly what happens in the later blocks of Tartarus.

It actually does! Or rather, it reverts Mario back to normal gravity. Because, you see, Mario actually normally has slightly higher gravity than your average SRB2 character. When you're Mini, this code gets disabled to make you have lower gravity, which is actually just the default SRB2 gravity. And aside from Mini, Metal/Gold Mario actually do the reverse and increase Mario's higher gravity further.
...huh. Thought I imagined that. Neat!
Not sure, I can't seem to recreate it. But if I had to guess it's probably the gargoyle since they have the ability to crush players.
I don't think it's that? I just tested again now, and I grabbed the ledge quite far from that and still died when I tried to get up.
...Oh, I may have worded it wrong the first time. Yeah, I didn't die when I just grabbed the ledge, and I'm pretty sure I could drop down just fine, I died when I tried climbing up from the ledge.
Here.png

I just find it odd because this is (so far) the only spot I noticed that could kill me like that.

So, when the ice flower walking on water reference from mario galaxy?
srb20093.gif

And i also found a bug lets p-ballon mario squashed into a item box:
srb20011.gif

Attachments

• srb20093.gif
    srb20093.gif
    4.2 MB · Views: 70

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back