This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
With permission from both MotdSpork and HitCoder, I have polished up and ported this script to v2.2.x. Now you too can enjoy the full glory of the seizure-inducing Hypersonic Hedgehog and friends!

Hyper Sonic:

• Flashing colors
  • Sparkles circle around Sonic
  • Armageddon Speed Thok
  • Afterimages
  • Inability to suffocate
Super Tails: NEW! (Only possible with Modifications)

• Infinite flight
  • Inability to suffocate
Unfortunately, no Super Flickies... yet.

Hyper Knuckles: (Only possible with Modifications or Pandora's Box)

• Latching onto a wall kills nearby enemies
  • Afterimages
  • Inability to suffocate
  • NEW! Knuckles now curls back up into a ball when cancelling a glide, allowing you to damage enemies or glide multiple times.
Hyper Metal Sonic:
  • Flashing colors
  • Sparkles circle around Metal Sonic
  • Afterimages
  • Immunity to short-circuiting
BONUS:
For those looking to create custom characters that wish to use this script, I have included commented-out code that allows for Hyper Forms to be triggered upon pressing the Custom 1 button. Though I give blanket permission for you to use this code, you should also contact MotdSpork and HitCoder for permission as well. Most of the work was done by them. This also applies to porting.
attachment.php
Version 4.1.2

• With some assistance from original author MotdSpork, some additional bugs with characters that aren't Sonic have been patched out, as well as adding some coding optimizations.
Hopefully this is the last update I have to make tonight.

Version 4.1.1

• Reimplemented the Armageddon Thok code I accidentally overwrote. Oops.
Version 4.1.0

• Reimplemented Super Knuckles' Multiglide ability from 2.1.
  • Added Super Tails with Infinite Flight
    • Both of these changes are credited to Radicalicious and used with permission.
  • Given Super Tails infinite airtime underwater and in space.
Version 4.0.0

• Initial release.
  • Work-In-Progress Hyper Metal Sonic.
  • Review this page for details on previous versions.

Supporters / CoAuthors

Attachments

• srb20040.gif
    srb20040.gif
    6.4 MB · Views: 29,273
  • VL_HyperAbilities-v4.1.2.lua
    10.9 KB · Views: 9,782
Last edited by a moderator:
Just tried it out for a bit, really good mod! Glad it got ported over.

Just an FYI for others trying it out, it is compatible with the lua script that allows any character to go super, at least it worked for Tails without bugging out.

I've been waiting for this one.

Too bad the Hyper states aren't toggleable anymore, rather than forced. Buut, it's better than nothing at all.

Too bad the Hyper states aren't toggleable anymore, rather than forced. Buut, it's better than nothing at all.

I did this for polishing reasons. It simply feels better to me if Hyper forms replace Super forms. There is simply no advantage from a gameplay perspective for the vanilla characters to be able to swap between Super and Hyper at will. That said, code still exists to re-enable the toggle functionality. All you have to do is edit the script yourself and remove the comments dummy-ing out said code.
If you want it to be toggleable for more characters than just Sonic though you'll have to put in more effort but it should still be easy enough. Didn't want to bloat the script up with too much extraneous code.

Last edited:
I did this for polishing reasons. It simply feels better to me if Hyper forms replace Super forms. There is simply no advantage from a gameplay perspective for the vanilla characters to be able to swap between Super and Hyper at will. That said, code still exists to re-enable the toggle functionality. All you have to do is edit the script yourself and remove the comments dummy-ing out said code.
If you want it to be toggleable for more characters than just Sonic though you'll have to put in more effort but it should still be easy enough. Didn't want to bloat the script up with too much extraneous code.
Okay, but where?

With permission from Radicalicious, I have re-implemented Super/Hyper Knuckles' Multiglide and Super Tails' infinite flight. I have also given Super Tails the inability to drown. With these changes in place, it has given me an excuse to update Hyper Abilities to Version 4.1.0!

Version 4.1.0

• Reimplemented Super Knuckles' Multiglide ability from 2.1.
  • Added Super Tails with Infinite Flight
  • Given Super Tails infinite airtime underwater and in space.

Last edited:
Two gripes:

1st: What happened to Hyper Sonic's Nuke Thok? It's gone!

2nd: It's still hard to re-enable the Custom 1 toggle thing with the rather inconvinient lack of comments. Here's how commenting works in Lua: if blah.blah and blah.blah \\*Insert something interesting here*

What happened to Hyper Sonic's Nuke Thok? It's gone!
I accidentally overwrote the Nuke Thok code with the new abilities for Tails & Knuckles. I patched the script to v4.1.1 to compensate, sorry about that!

UPDATE: MotdSpork found another bug that I missed in testing: Critical variables are not initialized unless you play as Sonic first. How I missed that again I'm not quite sure. Either way, 4.1.2 will happen soon.
UPDATE 2: This is late, but the mod was updated to 4.1.2 and in addition to properly initializing the variables this time, it also features some under-the-hood optimization changes.

Last edited:
I think what would make this more interesting would be an option (disabled by default) to make the player revert back into their Super Form if they go under 50 Rings, though that's my own two cents.
Overall, this is a great lua script and I'm happy it has returned for 2.2!

Possibly interesting idea?

I know Hyper is supposed to be broken- It's the entire point of the form basically- Would it be possible to have it, or at least have a second version of it, where Hyper needs 100 rings to trigger and drains 2 rings a second, while if you transform under 100 rings you only get super? I dunno how SRB2 functions, so I'm not sure if that's even possible.

that one wasn't painful. Capitalizing Every Word Like This Just Makes Stuff Painful To Read. But just capitalizing the stuff that's needed like you did in that last post looks fine.

I know Hyper is supposed to be broken- It's the entire point of the form basically- Would it be possible to have it, or at least have a second version of it, where Hyper needs 100 rings to trigger and drains 2 rings a second, while if you transform under 100 rings you only get super? I dunno how SRB2 functions, so I'm not sure if that's even possible.
It's possible, but I'm not sure if you can expect it to come any time in the near future. The one thing I do know is that if I do try to come back to this, I'm going to overhaul it with several toggle-able settings, with this being one of them.

I know I'm late, but- thank you for bringing new life to my old ass code! Glad to see this in 2.2, will download :P

what's with the sparkling circle around hyper anyway... seems kinda distracting. Unless he had that in S3&k.
Sadly I dont know if its possible to have Hyper change colors in this game (meaning like, very light colors, and smoothly transitioning as well so it doesnt look bad. But it would be cool, as in S3&k i think the colors were lighter or brighter so that they wouldnt cause seizures... could be wrong tho)

To the "hyper states being forced" thing or whatever. I think it'd just make more sense that when you have all 7 chaos emeralds you have to get the 8th chaos emerald in Black Hole.
The 8th chaos emerald has always lead to Hyper Sonic, like in final demo 1.09.4 i think

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back