This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

Princess Plushima

Princess of Dreams
Judge
Jet the Hawk is here and he's ready to Race!

attachment.php

Unfortunately Circuit is dead and SRB2 is more of a precision platformer, so he's not really equipped for the right job.

As long as Jet has air he'll ride his Extreme Gear. In this state he's incredibly fast and hovers over some obstacles, but he's also incredibly slippery. Extreme Gear is especially good at gaining height from slopes. Always be on the look out for ramps to jump off of for insane amounts of airtime.

To make up for his lack of control, by pressing and holding the spin button, Jet can drift. Drifting will temporarily slow you down, then redirect all of your momentum in your new facing direction when you let go. If mastered, this allows you to smoothly take corners while barely losing any speed. Drifting into enemies will also damage them.

Tapping the spin key instead of holding it will allow Jet to boost. Boosting gives you a quick burst of speed as you'd expect, in exchange for a chunk of your Air gauge. Boosting into enemies will also damage them. You can even boost in the air!

The main way to recover Air is by doing tricks. Any time Jet is in the air on his board, tap the movement keys to do a trick. Just make sure to stick the landing- if you're in the middle of a trick when you hit the ground, you'll lose most of the air you just gained. Tricks are also your main form of midair control. Doing backflips will even allow you to gain some height. Tricking into enemies will damage them.
You will be rated on the quality of your trick chains. This doesn't actually do anything mechanically, but will hopefully make you feel good about yourself. <3

If Jet runs out of air, he'll be forced to walk. Jet is incredibly slow on foot- although he does have a simple double jump. In this state, you can recover air by quickly mashing the spin key.

attachment.php

Mysteriously, Jet's furious footpumping is also strong enough to break bustable floors. (This and the double jump exist solely to make DSZ2 and ACZ1 beatable >.>)

If you need the extra control, you can always use the custom1 key to temporarily disable your gear and force Jet to proceed on foot. Just tap the button again to re-enable it.

Known issues:
  • Controller support is wonky. I don't have a working controller of my own to test at the moment, but I suspect at the very least that tricks are harder to do. The lua expects the control stick to return to the dead zone before it will let you input any tricks.
  • Jet's Extreme Gear will be forcibly disabled in reversed gravity. His special physics weren't really written with it in mind, and this is just easier than trying to make it work. I might come back to this some time in the future.
  • I've tested most major stage gimmicks and confirmed that they work, but it's always possible that I've missed something. At the very least Jet can turn back into a normal character whenever he needs to with custom1.
  • He's still missing a few small animations here and there for things like the emerald victory screen, or teeter frames.
  • His sprites are prerendered and kind of jarring. I'm bad at art ;U

Special thanks to Inazuma, Flame, Ruberjig and DylanDude on Discord for giving me good feedback during testing.

Attachments

• Jet1.gif
    Jet1.gif
    4.7 MB · Views: 40,596
  • Jet02.gif
    Jet02.gif
    1.4 MB · Views: 33,168
  • srb20030.png
    srb20030.png
    129.5 KB · Views: 1,277
  • srb20029.png
    srb20029.png
    22.3 KB · Views: 2,240
  • VCL_Jet-v1.1.pk3
    1.1 MB · Views: 5,329
Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to Releases!

Interesting concept - just outright having a Sonic Riders character playing the game as though it was riders is pretty silly, and I'm happy to see more content taking advantage of 16 angle support! However, I have three complaints: One, there's no easy way to destroy a monitor you're standing next to. If he maybe slammed his board down in front of him before beginning to pump air as an attack, that'd probably help out here.

Two, Jet struggles with quarterpipes, having no real way to transfer his momentum up the wall, which is pretty counter-intuitive considering the kinds of inclines you could fly up in the original game. I think there's probably a way to skillfully get up the first quarterpipe in ACZ1, but I didn't manage it myself while playing.

Lastly, you put Jet in the game bit didn't give him the riders intro art style for his character select portrait? For shame. =p

Last edited:
Circuit isn't dead! That dedicated server by JJK can get pretty populated...

As for the character, I like the usage of 16th angles, it gives the character a kind of fluidity that others don't, but some of the animations are really odd, such as walking without gear. And lastly about the sprites, assuming the sprites are pre-rendered from a model, the extra shading done isn't half bad. The character actually plays pretty fun on normal stages, but I feel that taking on a boss wasn't much of a priority. I might be missing something, but even Egg Mobile is pretty frustrating.

Overall, I like it. :)

So we have SSN styled Jet, and we now have "ugly" Jet (It's not ugly, I'm just saying it because it's pre-rendered and that reminds me of Ugly Knuckles) so in due time, we may see F Jet or FFSJet.

Jokes aside, the concept of the mod is fantastic. From being able to use a footpump to access breakable Fang/Amy paths never truly keeps the game from going sour as the animation itself is funny and it helps you beat the game :>

The only thing I would think of is when people are going to start taking this concept and applying it to other characters... SRB2 Riders 2.2 anyone?

Anyway, great mod!

"so you're supposed to be the fastest thing alive?,what a joke!"

- Jet 2009

Some bugs:
-If Jet walks off a ledge, he gains airspeed as if he was on his Extreme Gear.

-Locking the gear and then foot pumping at certain air meter values seems to break the air pump animation? In the attached gif I've found a specific spot at low air that seems to cause the bug, but that could be coincidence. Every so often the foot pump animation's first frame fails at other values, and I'm still not sure how to reproduce the bug, no idea if it's based on the Wait animation timer for being idle (since it's the wait animation sprites that are bugging out), or on what Jet was doing while on his gear, it's difficult to reproduce.

Attachments

• ezgif-6-92246a530485.gif
    ezgif-6-92246a530485.gif
    6.6 MB · Views: 341
  • srb20012.png
    srb20012.png
    131 KB · Views: 479
Some bugs:
-If Jet walks off a ledge, he gains airspeed as if he was on his Extreme Gear.

-Locking the gear and then foot pumping at certain air meter values seems to break the air pump animation? In the attached gif I've found a specific spot at low air that seems to cause the bug, but that could be coincidence. Every so often the foot pump animation's first frame fails at other values, and I'm still not sure how to reproduce the bug, no idea if it's based on the Wait animation timer for being idle (since it's the wait animation sprites that are bugging out), or on what Jet was doing while on his gear, it's difficult to reproduce.
had the same issue too

I'm struggling with the trick inputs on Jet; I can't seem to figure out what causes him to air-strafe normally and what causes him to do tricks. I'm under the impression that Jet can manage to get through a lot of the stages without resorting to disembarking/air pumping, but I can't manage to do any tricks reliably.

I think the issue with the trick system is the fact that it's mapped to the directional keys, and holding a directional key will just make Jet perform tricks constantly. I'm not familiar with the Riders games, so I've no idea if accelerate/perform trick were mapped to the same button there as well, but this means that you need to stop accelerating before you hit the ground lest you lose all the air you've recovered. That can come off as a bit unnatural at times.

I'm struggling with the trick inputs on Jet; I can't seem to figure out what causes him to air-strafe normally and what causes him to do tricks. I'm under the impression that Jet can manage to get through a lot of the stages without resorting to disembarking/air pumping, but I can't manage to do any tricks reliably.
Jet will do a trick if you let go of the movement keys (or return the control stick to the dead zone) and then tap them again. I did it that way because otherwise you'll end up doing a bunch of botched-landing frontflips every time you go over a small hill.

If anyone else runs into this, I'd appreciate you letting me know here or on discord what you were doing when it happened. I've only gotten it to happen once in completely different circumstances @.@

I think the issue with the trick system is the fact that it's mapped to the directional keys, and holding a directional key will just make Jet perform tricks constantly. I'm not familiar with the Riders games, so I've no idea if accelerate/perform trick were mapped to the same button there as well, but this means that you need to stop accelerating before you hit the ground lest you lose all the air you've recovered. That can come off as a bit unnatural at times.
Truth be told I went through a few different designs for trick inputs. This was the version that felt the best IMO, but I freely admit that this is one downside to it.

While this mod is quite fun, there is one major issue I have, that being the way tricks are done. Personally i'd remap it to jump+direction instead of just a direction, since you dont have any doublejump ability when on your board. I keep using directional inputs without thinking since im so used to how srb2 normally plays lmfao. Could also be a toggleable command like modern's actionswap, choosing if you want jump+dinput or just dinput.

Last edited:
Also, Jet doesn't play nice with large slopes.
attachment.php

Attachments

• srb20440.gif
    srb20440.gif
    2.9 MB · Views: 11,693
This mod is fun, but there's a few flaws with it that discourage a full playthrough with him. First, his offense, while the tricks to do attacks mid air are cool, I feel though I should be able to goomba enemies when on the board too. Second, the drift is a bit awkward seeing as it doesn't curve into the direction you're heading like in the Riders games themselves. Finally, the worst issue is that jumping on a board feels near useless, he doesn't get that much height off of it. Personally I'd have it charge up using air like in the Riders games since board less Jet can be left to precision platforming.

Jet will do a trick if you let go of the movement keys (or return the control stick to the dead zone) and then tap them again. I did it that way because otherwise you'll end up doing a bunch of botched-landing frontflips every time you go over a small hill.
For me Jet only performs tricks when Jump isn't held. Jet constantly doing tricks if movement is held down is frustrating though, tends to make him start another trick when I'm trying to control the landing, because I didn't re-hold jump to prevent more tricks from starting.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back