This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
How does the Sonic detection work?

It checks if your skin has "Sonic" in the name and not "metal" or "mecha". There's a few manual exceptions, and you can force it by giving yourself player.mo.smscompatibleskin!

I wonder if you are going to talk about HMS for one of your videos

I'll try and get to it! It'll happen after Samus, though, so it'll be a while, but feel free to just try the moves with the in-game controls aid. Use the HMScheat file to have infinite HMS to play around with.

wait but there's no download link

That's just a placeholder....sorry.

Yes, we all are excited for the Samus 2.2, but we need to be patient.

Also, you can download 2.1 and play with Samus on his original version.

srb20559.gif

It's taken a while, but we are definitely getting there, boys.

Uuuuh.. I was just predicting SMS Reborn 2.3’s version name. It’s not on Discord. Please don’t hate me..!

Hmm...what WOULD I call it? SMSReborn 3.0: "Smooth Sailing"? SMSreborn 3.0: "Running License"? SMSreborn 3.0: "Rated E for Everyone"? It's going to be a controls-focused update.

idk what butten it is to select stuff in its menu

Uhh, it's jump to confirm, spin to cancel. You running on Android or something?

Hmm...what WOULD I call it? SMSReborn 3.0: "Smooth Sailing"? SMSreborn 3.0: "Running License"? SMSreborn 3.0: "Rated E for Everyone"? It's going to be a controls-focused update.

How’s about calling it “SMSChallenges”. If you’re going to do an update for SMSReborn from Version 2.2 to Version 3.0, you should add in the SMSChallenges pack, along with the controls-focused update.

srb20559.gif

It's taken a while, but we are definitely getting there, boys.

I'm calling it now, Golden Shine is the god of modding SRB2.

You expect me to believe that this is SRB2, it's like an entirely different game at this point.

Great job Golden Shine for being a god damn good modder of SRB2.

I mean, maybe SMSReborn 3.0: "Not So Many Keys" could be the name. It sounds like a good update name, and I have so many ideas that I would've started listing it like you did.

Anyways, my main questions are:
What's your plan for the controls in the next update? Is it simplification of the controls or something else?

Last edited:
Unofficial SMSchallenges release

What's your plan for the controls in the next update? Is it simplification of the controls or something else?

It's a dedicated controls menu. Whatever's tangling up your fingers, you can simplify, or you can set everything so it plays exactly like the current SMS! So feel free to leave suggestions.

Some of the options in mind right now
Walljump with the basic speed thok, instantly homing thok/walljump upon tapping spin, charge up spindashes on the move by simply holding spin, airboost with a single tap of custom1, autostart an atomdive in dropdash mode, autofire the atomdive rather than going into aiming mode first, etc etc.

I'm calling it now, Golden Shine is the god of modding SRB2.

You expect me to believe that this is SRB2, it's like an entirely different game at this point.

Great job Golden Shine for being a god damn good modder of SRB2.

Thanks. My ego appreciates it!

It's... it's so fricking beautiful...

Only just recently got to the visual upgrades, actually. I usually save that stuff for last.
srb20580.gif

How’s about calling it “SMSChallenges”. If you’re going to do an update for SMSReborn from Version 2.2 to Version 3.0, you should add in the SMSChallenges pack, along with the controls-focused update.

This is awkward...I sorta forgot it existed. I'm not sure it works 100% in the current 2.2.8 like it did in 2.1, but here! I'll make this more official when SMSreborn 3.0 comes out and people can hopefully manage SMS a bit better.

SMSchallenges.wad:
4 different gamemodes I've whipped up, mainly designed as challenges for SMS! Access them from the console in-game. Restarting levels may be needed sometimes. You know it's old when it's a wad and not a pk3...

SMSchallenges for SRB2 2.2 download

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speedbomb :
A bomb that ticks down depending on your speed(Designed for SMS, but useable with all characters). Marathon it to the goal in 1 sitting before it blows up! This challenge requires a cool head and will test your overall control! Though bursts of speed are rewarded, it's all about keeping a steady flow in this mode. Crashing into walls at superspeed will be the end of you. Checkpoints will extend your timer.
http://gph.is/2EjRWXX

G2GFAST4LIFE : SMS+speedshoes! Make it to the goal before Sonic dies from adrenaline overdose. This gamemode's not for the faint of heart, and becomes the hardest of the 3 challenges as you progress. Hitting checkpoints resets the timer. You're highly recommended to learn Ring Bursting, and be adequate with walljumps and stomps for this.
http://gph.is/2EhUm5f

HMSrush: You are your own worst enemy! Run out of rings and the Hyper Mystic form will end you! Cause havoc and destroy enemies to gain even just a few more seconds to live. You'll have to beat the level in 1 fell swoop, and use powerful moves to slow your ringdrain. Know how to combine speed with rampages to beat this one! This gamemode's not normally available in multiplayer due to enemies not respawning. It's recommended to know the Teleport-Dash(Weapon Previous) to zoom past doors, glass walls, and scale mountains instantly.

http://gph.is/2EgLBsd

Skillstrip:
Strip SMS of his basic ability to jump, thok, or even pick up rings! If you're creative enough, it's entirely possible to still beat the game, but are you up to it? (ERZ2 is a special type of hell) Other characters are stripped of different powers.

All of the gamemodes have been tested and proven to let you beat both vanilla SRB2 2.2 and Mystic Realm on the hardest settings, but other than the recommended "hard, normal, easy" settings, you can create custom difficulties! For example, "speedbomb 350" sets your bomb's timer to 350(Basically mandatory for non-SMS players), and "HMSrush 500" would set your starting rings to 500. Also, "g2gfast4life easy" gives you a single freebie sneakers refresh per life.

This is awkward...I sorta forgot it existed. I'm not sure it works 100% in the current 2.2.8 like it did in 2.1, but here! I'll make this more official when SMSreborn 3.0 comes out and people can hopefully manage SMS a bit better.
Eh, it's fine. I can see you've been focusing a lot of
your power into Samus. The crazy coding you do is magnificent to most people so I can bet it takes quite a lot of time... so take yours.
And to be honest
SMSreborn 3.0: "Rated E for Everyone"
is kind of funny and fits so... upvoting that one lol

It's a dedicated controls menu. Whatever's tangling up your fingers, you can simplify, or you can set everything so it plays exactly like the current SMS! So feel free to leave suggestions.

Walljump with the basic speed thok, instantly homing thok/walljump upon tapping spin, charge up spindashes on the move by simply holding spin, airboost with a single tap of custom1, autostart an atomdive in dropdash mode, autofire the atomdive rather than going into aiming mode first, etc etc.

That's probably the only thing I wasn't expecting for 3.0's "Not so Many Keys" update, a lot of the options as of now are really helpful for someone who doesn't like to use different keys so constantly. The option to single tap airboost, and instantly homing thok/walljump on single tap spin are my favorites right now, and it just makes having to hold or spam keys just to make it feel fast enough for me. I deeply appericate you making something like that, it makes SMS just way less finger-tangly.

I really don't have a lot of suggestions right now. It's still really good to have this, and I love it a lot.

I've become addicted I can't stop playing with him send help-

Jokes aside, I REALLY like this mod, it makes sonic what is supposed to be, the real fastest thing alive, it feels you can do literally anything but at the same time, you can't do anything without skill and practice, good job man!

Attachments

• srb20025.gif
    srb20025.gif
    8 MB · Views: 125
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

This mod adds a new transformation to Sonic, significantly boosting his abilities far beyond what players would usually be expected to handle normally, pushing the limits of what you can do is the name of the game! But be careful, you're not invincible and will lose your form in 2 hits. While Super Mystic, it isn't the game, but your own limits as a player that will define how far you can push Sonic, unleashing him as that action superhero he's always shown off to be, but rarely let you actually play as. (...or you can just go Hyper Mystic and say screw everything. I ain't gonna police it)

VIDEO FOOTAGE

TRAILER

Features:

• The Ability to transform from practically any version of Sonic.
  • Special Balance for BattleMod 6.1, Match, CTF, and extra options for Race.
  • Many cooperative abilities allowing you to boost other players, including powershare, which grants characters a special superform with unique abilities not seen in normal superforms.
  • A humongous amount of abilities, options, and alt control schemes to let you play your own way.
  • Hyper Mystic Sonic, AKA HMS; An extra optional transformation on top of SMS, letting you become the most powerful character in SRB2 history for a limited time.
If you like playing the old way or want to practice, you can also select SMS as a skin, unless servers force this off. SMS is my most personal and long-running creation, and at the very least, I hope it'll show in the polish.

-Made 34 extra skincolors, mostly to add pulsing color options and a proper default palette that isn't just Super Sonic's. Other
characters may access these too.
-Added an admin option to turn pulsing colors off. This may ease RESYNC issues if you're getting those!
-SMS technically now supports Battlemod 8.3, though I'm dropping future Battlemod support, and recommend playing 6.1 from here on out for optimal games with SMS.
-Bandages(Sonic Boom Sonic) can now transform into SMS.
-Minor bugfixes for dedicated servers, some wad combinations, etc etc.

This version uses a different I/O file, so don't forget to save your favorite settings again.
-Fixed SMS' infinite attack & defense priority in Battle Mode that plagued SMSreborn-v2. Rejoice, Knuckles players.
-Fixed SMS being able to multi-homing attack after a homing attempt when he shouldn't (Battle Mode.)
-Removed a bug where SMS' stomp wouldn't work properly with combat shoes.
-SMS' lightspeed attack no longer breaks when wearing speedshoes.

-SMS now varies voice clips for Airboost and Blinddash. RIP "Go!!" spam
-SMSblast Mode is now called "Legend Mode" and has SMS' 2.0 walljump+1.09.4 multi-homing thok.
-The ringburst can now alternatively be done by double tapping custom1 on the ground.(boostmode-only) Practically necessary for the "Simple" control scheme.
-Afterimages when HMS' spindash AoE attack hits enemies.
-If you've never saved options, you'll now get assigned a random SMS color outside of coop modes when joining a game.

(Battle Mode)
-New critical combo mechanic! Any strong stun you afflict on SMS players will now become a critical stun. Hit SMS during this stun for a critical FINISHER, sending him flying and gaining you even more bonus points! This mechanic should allow non-SMS players to be much more aggressive, and also make it alot more fun to fight SMS in general. Aim to clash your attacks as hard as you can with SMS, as this will now give you the advantage and open opportunities!

-SMS' stomp now bounces a bit unless moving very fast to present clearer openings.

-If Fang is firmly grounded, neither shooting or sprinting, he can now resist SMS' spin-type attacks much like Knuckles.

-SMS is now refunded up to 10 rings when detransformed by a non-critical finish depending on ring count before getting hit. He also gets a pity or force shield depending on ring count. This should make it easier to get back into the game in busy netgames.

-SMS' flames inflict a more stun.
-Fixed methods to bypass SMS transformation restrictions
-You can no longer buy Golden Shoes in unintended gametypes
-Can no longer access HMS with 50 rings in gamemodes you need 300 rings.
-HMS can no longer hold onto flags.
-Fixed firestomping bug without elemental/fire shields
-Fixed issue with SMS transforming and instantly throwing a Diffusion Flame.
-Restores music properly for everyone after HMS panic in matches.
Weapon Previous input now also picks up items like intended.
-Atomdive&Stomp now properly detect all FOFs over deathpits.
-Analog footsweep setting now doesn't screw up the dodge.
-Fixed being unable to use the SMSmenu command when grabbed by -SMS(to make yourself ungrab-able during grieving)
-Kirby now gets different abilities from SMS depending on context.(fixes people getting kicked upon rejoining after sigsegvs when rejointimeout's active, messing up and lagging netgames like crazy)
-Fixed SMS's "freemode" and banned-mode being inaccessible for Battle Mode
-Many other minor things.
-Tap spin after launching the Atomic Dive for a Super Dropdash! More height = more speed!
-HMS is now even more powerful. Press Fire when charging a spindash for "Galaxy Storm".
-Your preferences can now be saved. Use "Save Config" in the SMSreborn menu. I suggest not doing this as a joiner, because it'll save the host's Admin settings from that game.
-SMS now autoloads SMSreborn.cfg. This acts like an autoexec.cfg, but specifically for SMS. Neat for automatically loading smsaltmusic(netgame safe), giving yourself a silly Super Mystic name or other commands. Not necessary at all.

-SMS graphics now automatically adjust upon server joins and HMS appearances. Turned off being messing with it manually.
-The lowest SMS graphics setting now removes even more visual effects.
-Added HMS limit option. Sets limit to how many HMS' can exist in a server. Default is 1.
-Removed rapid flashes from HMS' Novablast and Godbreaker on the highest graphics setting.
-When disabling the ability to turn into HMS, now immediately turns off already active HMS players.
-Added arrows to the SMS menus to convey the multiple pages.
SMS controls can be used during Match gametypes.
-Removed "SMSreborn is added, use blah for controls aid, etc" message
-Homing Momentum is now set to "key" by default since that seems to be the general preference over mine.
-New gfx/sfx for spamdash, ringburst, footsweep reflections(&timing) and HMS spindash AoE
-"HMS Themes" is now "Music Themes". Turns off HMS' theme, HMS' panic theme, and runshoes music for you.
-Added two new special SMS colors.(SMSreborn menu): Lapis Vapor and Azure Breaker
-Hold C3 for an "Explosion cam" after the highest grade atom dive.
Added hint if you get killed by an SMS who threw you.
-Players can now use "FIRE" to turn HMS in Battle.(C3 still works too) This caused some confusion.
-SMSblast SMS now has homing build into his multi-speed thok, like the original 1.09.4 SMS.
-An already ongoing ringburst will no longer be stopped by water
-Climbing Characters can now super-leap off walls if they're Mystic Super.
-You can now ringburst directly while spinning (still need boostmode), and canceling ringbursts grants some boostlvl
-If Tails(bot) is carrying you, you can now press custom3 to boost him yourself.
-The super hammerjump now can now also be performed from an airlanding.
-Kirby now gets Fire/Tornado/Wheel/Mike/Long Jump from SMS depending on context.(fixes people getting kicked upon rejoining after sigsevs when rejointimeout's active, messing up servers)
-Character mods can now set player.mo.smscompatibleskin to 2 to force compatibility with SMS.
(All)
-Diffusion Flames now lay firetraps a few frames later, and no longer do while detonating.
-The haymaker prompt extends if you've recently got hit by/dodged a haymaker to discourage spam.
-SMS' haymaker(HMS exempt) is now single-target on players. Players kept running into SMS' fist AoE wondering why they got no prompt.
-The haymaker now can't target flickering players and drains rings similar to sprinting.
-You can now leapfrog anyone, friend or foe.
-SMS' sprint powers now drain rings faster
-Atomdives now cost rings and whiff if you have none.

(CTF)
-SMS now has to touch the flag for half a second before being able to grab it. Should make capturing the flag in a game with tons of SMS players easier.

(Battle Mode)
-You're now invulnerable for 2 seconds when transforming. Should aleviate frustration of instantly losing SMS.
-Increased SMS' stun power on his regular flames
-Only non-SMS players now gain 25 bonus points when hitting SMS. (Untransformed SMS players still get this bonus)
-Homing Attack now has cooldown and consistent knockback when it fails, making spam harder, but also minimizing awkwardly flying skywards because of jank.
-Haymakers won't pierce shields in battle mode.(Still does in Match/CTF)
-HMS now drains 25 rings per second when a control point's being captured by anyone.
-HMS now captures control points MUCH slower
u have a problem when i do a wall jump it doesnt face an another direction

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-21 2.00.47 PM.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-21 2.00.47 PM.png
    304 KB · Views: 165
Unofficial SMSchallenges release

Thanks. My ego appreciates it!

Only just recently got to the visual upgrades, actually. I usually save that stuff for last.
srb20580.gif

SMSchallenges.wad:
4 different gamemodes I've whipped up, mainly designed as challenges for SMS! Access them from the console in-game. Restarting levels may be needed sometimes. You know it's old when it's a wad and not a pk3...

SMSchallenges for SRB2 2.2 download

Speedbomb :
A bomb that ticks down depending on your speed(Designed for SMS, but useable with all characters). Marathon it to the goal in 1 sitting before it blows up! This challenge requires a cool head and will test your overall control! Though bursts of speed are rewarded, it's all about keeping a steady flow in this mode. Crashing into walls at superspeed will be the end of you. Checkpoints will extend your timer.

G2GFAST4LIFE : SMS+speedshoes! Make it to the goal before Sonic dies from adrenaline overdose. This gamemode's not for the faint of heart, and becomes the hardest of the 3 challenges as you progress. Hitting checkpoints resets the timer. You're highly recommended to learn Ring Bursting, and be adequate with walljumps and stomps for this.

HMSrush: You are your own worst enemy! Run out of rings and the Hyper Mystic form will end you! Cause havoc and destroy enemies to gain even just a few more seconds to live. You'll have to beat the level in 1 fell swoop, and use powerful moves to slow your ringdrain. Know how to combine speed with rampages to beat this one! This gamemode's not normally available in multiplayer due to enemies not respawning. It's recommended to know the Teleport-Dash(Weapon Previous) to zoom past doors, glass walls, and scale mountains instantly.

Skillstrip:
Strip SMS of his basic ability to jump, thok, or even pick up rings! If you're creative enough, it's entirely possible to still beat the game, but are you up to it? (ERZ2 is a special type of hell) Other characters are stripped of different powers.

All of the gamemodes have been tested and proven to let you beat both vanilla SRB2 2.2 and Mystic Realm on the hardest settings, but other than the recommended "hard, normal, easy" settings, you can create custom difficulties! For example, "speedbomb 350" sets your bomb's timer to 350(Basically mandatory for non-SMS players), and "HMSrush 500" would set your starting rings to 500. Also, "g2gfast4life easy" gives you a single freebie sneakers refresh per life.
Samus is looking absolutely amazing, the fact you tackled one of my favorite character is a treat, even 2.1 one version looks amazing, it always nice to see updates for this.
Also enjoyed that History of sms video, nice to see some context as I'm newer to SRB2 community.
best of luck!

Ok this mod is cool and OP and all that jazz but i have a few problems with it.
(here we go) The amount of buttons this mod uses is ABSURD and it makes me really overwhelmed knowing that I can so so much.
the running animation looks a little jank when going at max speed because of the lack of the cartoony foot blur that Vanilla sonic has.
The colors on SMS are clashing and just don't mix well.
and that's.
I don't mean to sound like i hate the mod it's just some things i think are really distracting.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back