Resource icon
This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
During December 2019, I was imagining what it would be like to include elements from the Kingdom Hearts games into SRB2. And now, seven months on, I have finally finished things to the point where I am content to publicly release this mod in its current Release Candidate state. This... is Kingdom Hearts Blast.

Current Version: RC1.5.5

Kingdom Hearts Blast, or KHBlast for short, is a modification for SRB2 which makes things more combat-focused.

Enemies which normally just take a single hit to defeat will (with a few exceptions) no longer take just one hit to be dealt with, but by gaining score (which is KHBlast's XP system) and levelling up, you can deal more damage with each hit. But this goes both ways, as Sonic and company now have their own health which allows them to take more hits than they'd otherwise be able to take.
View attachment 17582

There are 6 difficulties in KHBlast, of which you can choose one at the start of a new game through the Station of Awakening. Each one modifies the damage you take, the max HP you have and/or the HP of your foes. You start with just Beginner, Standard and Proud, but on clearing the game you can try out Critical or even the (in)famous EXP Zero difficulty. And using the Ultimate Mode cheat allows you to access the hidden Ultimate Difficulty.
View attachment 17581
View attachment 17583

You don't just gain stats by levelling up, however. By defeating bosses and collecting Chaos Emeralds, you can improve your HP and/or RP so that you can take more hits or use more Magic.

Speaking of Magic, KHBlast has a command menu system. You can use PageUp or PageDown to scroll up or down the command list, Custom 2 to switch between Magic and Items, and Custom 1 to use the selected Item or Magic spell.

As of RC1, KHBlast has the following spells:
  • Fire - Fires a fireball which deals decent magical damage
  • Thunder - Unleashes a lighting bolt which hits all targets within a given distance
  • Cure - Uses between 2 and 10 RP to heal you and nearby allies
  • Aero - Creates a Whirlwind Shield, or upgrades an Electric Shield to a Thundercoin Shield
  • Haste - Grants Super Sneakers to the user
  • Revive - Uses 6RP to revive nearby downed allies, or 20RP to grant an additional Auto-Life as well as reviving nearby allies

Special Stages remain the same in KHBlast, but you will be notified whenever you pick up a Special Stage Token (which becomes a Drive Token once you get all 7 emeralds) just like you would when getting an Item dropped from a foe.
View attachment 17584
View attachment 17585

Finally, if you manage to make it to the final battle with all 7 Emeralds, Black Eggman will be stronger than normal, taking more hits to defeat... but in return, you start off with 7 units of Drive Charge. And with Drive Charge and all the Emeralds, you can access the Drive Form - which is basically the Super Transformation, with a full unit of charge being equal to 50 Rings.
View attachment 17586

KHBlast also changes up the character select menu, giving details about the character's starting stats and their Drive Form, as well as a little tip. Due to this, if a custom character wants to have their starting stats shown in the character select screen, I would recommend an alternative version (with kh at the end of the prefix, so it would be like CLkh_Buttnick-v1.pk3) with the altered PlayerText. This would also allow them to add their profile sprite to the game, akin to the Sonic ones which I have attached as examples by adding them to the khheadpatch table, which will eventually allow for faces to be displayed based on the current state of the player: Normal, Low Health, KOed, Super or Special. (Right now, only Normal and Low Health are coded in to work)
View attachment 17587

Thanks to everyone who had helped out with it, both past and present. I might not remember everyone who did so, but if I do, I'll make sure to put you down as a contributor towards this.

Also, maybe consider joining the SonicD Discord server for future updates for KHBlast?

Kingdom Blast? Sonic Robo-hearts?

I wonder, does this have any compatability with character addons at all?
Technically, it can be, but some modification would need to be made. I will admit, I've yet to make it where a character could plug and play just yet.

Is there a list of the level up progressions and stat bonuses somewhere?

Each character has their own stats, but I can give the default values for a character that doesn't have their stats coded in naturally:

HP starts at 20, and increases by 10 per Chaos Emerald, 10 per boss defeated, and 5 for every level up of 60,000 points.
RP starts at 4, and increases by 1 per Chaos Emerald, 1 per boss defeated, and 1 for every 100,000 points to a cap of 20RP.
STR starts at 4, and will increase by 1 at Levels 10, 30, 50, 70 and 90, as well as by 2 at Levels 20, 40, 60, 80 and 99.
MAG also starts at 4, and will increase by 1 at Levels 10, 30, 50, 70 and 90, as well as by 2 at Levels 20, 40, 60, 80 and 99.

A few characters of note are as follows:
Super Mystic Sonic starts with 50HP, and gains 15HP for each boss defeated and 5HP for every 40k points collected to level up; 5RP, and gains RP solely from Chaos Emeralds and Bosses, gaining 1RP for each; 10STR, but only gaining an additional 1STR at levels 20, 40, 60 and 75... Only to get 6 more STR at Level 99; and 10MAG, with an extra 1MAG at Levels 10, 30, 50, 70 and 90, and 5MAG at Level 100
Werehog Sonic starts with 30HP, gains 10HP for each boss defeated and 2HP for each level up of 25k points; the max of 20RP right off the bat; 7STR with the default STR boosts; and has NO MAG at all, never gaining a single point of it at all
Flicky starts with only 5HP, gains 5HP per Chaos Emerald and boss defeated and 2HP per 22k points earned; 8RP, gaining 1 per Chaos Emerald collected or per 60k points earned; 2STR with the default STR boosts; and 2MAG with the default MAG boosts
Finally, Metal Sonic starts with 25HP, gaining 5HP per Emerald and 7HP per 44k Points for a level up; NO RP to begin with, instead only gaining 3RP per Chaos Emerald obtained; 4STR with the default STR boosts; and 2MAG with the default MAG boosts
Advance Cream and Eggman also have custom STR/MAG level up boosts - at least, as of the most recent 1.6 version.

h

Hey is there a way i can add custom images on the bottom right? or I can make images for other character addons?
Given I'm looking into the code to help with the above, I will mention this - I have a table, 'khheadpatch', which is intended to include said images. The planned idea is that the patches would be named as such: "KH_?????" for the normal, "KL_?????" for Low Health, "KO_?????" for when they're KOed, "KD_?????" for their Drive Form, and "KS_?????" for the 'special' one (although I forgot what that was meant for offhand, and had yet to include it in the code)

How would one make custom stats for a character?
Right now, it would require a Lua addon, because there are six tables that would need details added to:

"healthdata" contains all the stats for a character's HP - a line of which would read like so:
["sonic"] = {22, 12, 5, 4, 40000},
This line (for Sonic) gives him the starting 22HP, the increases of 12HP per Emerald earned and 5HP per Boss defeated, as well as 4HP gained for every level, with each one being 40k points.

"ringdata" does the same but for a character's RP - a line of which would read like so:
["sms"] = {5, 1, 1, -1},
This line (for Super Mystic Sonic) gives them 5RP to begin with, 1 RP per Chaos Emerald and 1 RP per boss defeated, but the -1 prevents them from getting RP from points.
["advancecream"] = {6, 1, 0, 60000},
This is an alternative one, this time for Advance Cream. Here, she starts with 6RP, gains 1RP per Chaos Emerald but 0RP per boss, and gets additional RP every 60k points until she hits the hard cap of 20RP

"khStartingStr" and "khStartingMag" are both the same in how they work - each of them is used to set the starting STR and MAG of a character. Meanwhile, their Level Up equivalents, "khStrIncreases" and "khMagIncreases", use a table like in this line to tell what levels give the boost, and how much that boost is:
["advancecream"] = {[2] = 1, [5] = 1, [10] = 1, [20] = 1, [25] = 1, [30] = 1, [40] = 1, [45] = 1, [50] = 1, [60] = 1, [65] = 1, [70] = 1, [80] = 1, [85] = 1, [90] = 1, [99] = 1},
That one in particular is Advance Cream's MAG boosts, which shows she gains MAG almost every 5 levels or so.
["werehog"] = {},
And that is the Werehog's MAG boosts - because they get none.

Thanks! I really like getting into the “nitty-gritty” of how RPG-style stuff works, and I might eventually make a character mod with KHBlast compatibility
Post automatically merged:

I’m looking at the Lua files, and it seems that many characters don’t have a STR or MAG increase table(such as Tails, Amy, or Fang). Do the characters that come with the game(Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Fang, Metal Sonic) default to Sonic’s STR/MAG increases, or the generic character STR/MAG increases?

Last edited:
Thanks! I really like getting into the “nitty-gritty” of how RPG-style stuff works, and I might eventually make a character mod with KHBlast compatibility
Post automatically merged:

I’m looking at the Lua files, and it seems that many characters don’t have a STR or MAG increase table(such as Tails, Amy, or Fang). Do the characters that come with the game(Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Fang, Metal Sonic) default to Sonic’s STR/MAG increases, or the generic character STR/MAG increases?
That would be the latter - the generic character STR/MAG increase.

I dunno if you can answer, how can i make Super Player HUD graphics work?? I tried like adding KS_SONIC and is not working. Is it not coded properly??

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back