SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Releases > Levels

The ACZ2 Museum - old pre-2.2 content Details »»
The ACZ2 Museum - old pre-2.2 content
Developer Last Online: Feb 2020

Version: SRB2 Rating: (3 votes - 3.80 average)
Released: 12-22-2019 Last Update: Never Installs: 0
Single Player Levels Is in Beta Stage

Arid Canyon 2 went through a long development process before being complete. Back before the entire campaign was upgraded to a new standard, this addon documents what an ACZ2 by 2.1 standards was shaping up to be.

There are three distinct versions of the map available: the earliest barely-complete alpha (2014), the original pre-slope version of ACZ2 (2015), and the version that was updated with slopes before the remake that became 2.2's ACZ2 (2016). I feel that these three versions best describe this map's development process. (I did not keep any versions of the redesigned map betas around, nor would I want to include any of that content in here, as the dev team may choose to use that for future iterations.)

An early prototype version of mine carts is also presented as a separate map.

Please note that this version of the map was never completely finished, and as a result doesn't even represent what would have released. While I've updated some things that 2.2 broke of these levels, and marked some inescapable pits as death, any other issues with the maps are left as-is for the sake of preservation. All of these maps were in an alpha state at best.

Please enjoy this look into the map's history. Special thanks to Boinciel for helping me find these old alpha maps. Other marked co-authors are all of the other people involved, directly or indirectly, in creating these maps, out of the names I remembered.

I am aware of long loading times for most of these maps. This started when I converted the addon to PK3.
I am also aware that the info signs do not work in netgames. This is a vanilla game limitation.

Download Now

File Type: pk3 VSL_acz2museum-v1.pk3 (3.32 MB, 655 views)

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20056.png
Views:	890
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	24122   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20057.png
Views:	658
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	24123   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20058.png
Views:	507
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	24124   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20059.png
Views:	451
Size:	213.1 KB
ID:	24125   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20060.png
Views:	389
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	24126  

Supporters / CoAuthors

Show Your Support

• This addon may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without the author's permission.

Comments
Old 12-23-2019   #2
D00D64
Worst Ranked 'Kart Player

Welcome to releases! Glad we have quite a few addons relating to development history or concepts.

My awful Twitter account

My also awful YouTube channel
D00D64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019   #3
glaber
Emblem Radar Ready

Some of the inescapable pits are still inescapable in the mine cart map. Also you can get past the mine cart without riding it to explore more of the map.
Old 12-23-2019   #4
Jake

Development history add-ons bring me a ton of joy, so thanks for putting together this goldmine of ACZ2 concepts. The oil barrel section in the 2016 map is pretty brutal as Sonic, but I managed to finish it. Too bad it's (apparently) not possible to finish the minecart section; shortly after the part where you're going around in circles, I find myself riding into the horizon to my death lol. Really fascinating stuff all around though.

Last edited by Jake; 12-23-2019 at 07:39 AM.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019   #5
RomioTheBadass
PK3 Fetishist

Always interesting to see how development went for this kind of thing, Thank you for sharing these.

Sonic 3D Ass: Horrible camera island.
RomioTheBadass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019   #6
Goldenhog
Wandering Protagonist

Bahahaha oh man, it's the friggin' hang gliders again! That mechanic is just never going to find a home, is it? And what was up with that rain? Was that supposed to be something else? Like maybe oil drops coming from the ceiling. Or was someone in the dev team like "you know what ACZ2 really needs? Rain. And you'll never guess what kind of rain I have in mind...". It's so bizarre, haha. I'd also like to thank the person that decided NOT to bring back that section with the sloped columns covered in oil. That part tore through my lives like ERZ wishes it could.

Unfortunately that part made the loading times that much more unbearable. These loading times are just hideous. There's probably nothing that can be done but they sucked a lot of fun out of this pack for me.
Goldenhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019   #7
fickleheart
ms reflec beat stan

The starpost rain was meant to be a standard falling rock section, but I had them as starposts as a temporary in-dev joke. A lot of oil sections are also more difficult now than they used to be now that low friction actually reduces your acceleration.

The mine cart section needs a wall added to block players off from running out of the starting area, then the rest of the pits should resolve themselves since losing the mine cart is instant death. There was never a proper end to the mine carts, which is why I removed the mid-track checkpoints and added an exit on the other side of the hall.

And yeah, the load times in PK3 are pretty unbearable. I'm not sure if there's a way I could repack it to improve those, but zones.pk3 in 2.2 has maps that are at least as big without having the same problem... if nothing else, I can move back to the WAD copy and resolve all the loading time problems, and just have a bigger file.
Old 12-23-2019   #8
Frostav

Oh man, why did they get rid of the hang gliders, they're super fun! And I love the speed boosters they tried out for the minecarts, my bigger criticism of them in the release version is how they're locked to one speed always.
Frostav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019   #9
Shadon
Professional ass-merchant

I was kinda hoping this would include the version of ACZ2's theme from the 20th anniversary trailer. Is that still around somewhere? I love the one in 2.2 but I didn't mind the trailer version at all.
Satanism is just Atheism wearing a funny hat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltstorm
Go yiff yourself
Shadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019   #10
Unknownlight

Oh hey! That looks familiar!

Thanks for releasing this; it's fascinating stuff. I want the TNT set piece to come back.
Unknownlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019   #11
CobaltBW
Community Noise Maker
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadon View Post
I was kinda hoping this would include the version of ACZ2's theme from the 20th anniversary trailer. Is that still around somewhere? I love the one in 2.2 but I didn't mind the trailer version at all.
To my understanding, it was never finished.

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff
CobaltBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019   #12
Sting the Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobaltBW View Post
To my understanding, it was never finished.
I'm surprised you don't know. Was the trailer theme made by one of the others?
Sting the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019   #13
Lach
nanananananananananananan a
Developer

Thank you for putting this together, I love it! Pre-revamp 2.2 is very nostalgic to me as that was the kind of content we were being shown around the time I really got into SRB2. I very much appreciate all the dev lore details from the info signs and seeing how the level was expanded upon across several years.
Lach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019   #14
CobaltBW
Community Noise Maker
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting the Cat View Post
I'm surprised you don't know. Was the trailer theme made by one of the others?
From what Nev3r was telling me, it sounded like what was previewed in the trailer was literally all of the tune he had completed up to that point. It was never set up to be loopable.

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff
CobaltBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019   #15
CyberKnux
Knuckles Chuckles
Tempbanned (Strike 1)

This Is Kinda Cool
CyberKnux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020   #16
MascaraSnake
aka SpiritCrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostav View Post
Oh man, why did they get rid of the hang gliders, they're super fun!
Don't worry. This won't be the last you see of the hang gliders.
MascaraSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020   #17
fickleheart
ms reflec beat stan

Oh man, Dark City Zone for 2.3 here we come!

somehow necessary disclaimer: this is a joke