SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Releases > Mods

SRB2 Battle! Multiplayer Gameplay Mod (V6.1) Details »»
SRB2 Battle! Multiplayer Gameplay Mod (V6.1)
Developer Last Online: Jun 2020

Version: SRB2 Rating: (7 votes - 3.86 average)
Released: 02-11-2020 Last Update: 04-06-2020 Installs: 10
SOCs Scripts Re-Useable Content Sprites/Graphics

SRB2 Battle!
Also known as "BattleMod"

SRB2 Battle is a gameplay modification which radically transforms multiplayer versus into an all-out brawl!

Featuring:
  • New mechanics for PvP game modes
  • Ring-consuming special abilities for each character
  • Battle Mode, where players can duke it out in close combat!
  • Control Point, where players compete for dominance on one of several capture zones on the stage
  • Battle CTF, a version of CTF that utilizes the new battle mechanics
  • Egg Robo Tag, a twist on the hunter vs hunted game mode.
  • Modder accessibility, allowing scripters to create their own special abilities and interact with Battle's melee system
  • Bonus: MAPB0, Indigo Park Zone, is a Battle/Control Point exclusive map that demonstrates the different ways in which Control Points can be utilized in maps.

Download V6.1 (4/9/2020)

How to Play

Spoiler: For character modders

Below I've attached example lua scripts (with ample amounts of commenting) to demonstration and explain how characters can be scripted to interact with the Battle system. These scripts can be freely modified and re-used.

Custom Battle Actions

Melee Collision Priority

Additional variables:
CharShieldMax[skin] -- Sets the maximum of shields a character can have in reserve.

For more ambitious lua endeavors, please refer to the functions contained in BattleMod's Lua/Library folder.

Spoiler: For mappers

The following is an explanation of how to add Control Points to your maps:
Code:
Control Points are Thing 3640 in the map editor. The attributes of the control point can be modified as follows:

Angle: Sets the radius of the control point.
	A value of 0 will default to 384 fracunits.
	Minimum radius is 95 fracunits, maximum is 720 fracunits.
Settings: Sets the height and orientation of the control point. Starting height is 192 fracunits.
	Extra flag: Increases the height by an additional 192 fracunits.
	Flip flag: Flips the control point upside down (zone will be oriented toward the ceiling)
	Special flag: Automatically adjusts the height to match that of the sector's floor/ceiling. (overrides Extra/Ambush flags)
	Ambush flag: Decreases the height by 96 fracunits.
Parameters: Sets the control point meter, i.e. the amount of time needed to capture the point.
	0 will default to a moderate capture rate.
	1 = least time necessary, 15 = most time necessary.

There are several console commands that can be used to test out various CP functionality:

cp_create - Creates a control point at the console player's current location.
	Required arguments:
	radius (0 to 359) sets the radius of the control point. 0 uses default radius.
	height (-1 to 4) sets the height of the control point. -1 adjusts to sector floor/ceiling, 0 uses default height.
	meter (0 to 15) sets the meter of the control point. 0 uses default meter amount.
	flip (0 or 1) sets the vertical orientation of the control point. 0 is normal, 1 is reverse gravity.
cp_next - Activates the next CP in the current rotation.
cp_shuffle - Re-shuffles the order in which all CPs activate on the map.
cp_radius - Sets all CPs to the specified radius. 0 uses the amount defined by spawn placement.
cp_height - Sets all CPs to the specified height. 0 uses the amount defined by spawn placement.
cp_meter - Sets all CPs to the specified meter amount. 0 uses the amount defined by spawn placement.
The following TypeOfLevels are available:
  • Battle
  • EggRoboTag
  • BattleCTF
  • CP

Spoiler: Special Thanks

Toaster and DrTapeworm, for creating the EggRobo sprites
SuperPhanto, for creating EggRobo's gun and laser sprites
Krabs, for drafting gameplay tweaks and mechanics for Knuckles' special moves.
Additional credits to ChrisHedge, whose Chaos maps port was used for a couple of the previews.

Many of the folks in SRB2 Discord #scripting for advice and troubleshooting support
Everyone on the Master Server who helped to test this and provide feedback while it was in beta

Download Now

File Type: pk3 VL_BattleMod-v1.1.pk3 (103.7 KB, 460 views)
File Type: pk3 VL_BattleMod-v2.pk3 (112.9 KB, 217 views)
File Type: pk3 VL_BattleMod-v3.4.pk3 (115.4 KB, 255 views)
File Type: pk3 VL_BattleMod-v4.1.pk3 (117.8 KB, 255 views)
File Type: lua ExampleActionScript.lua (8.5 KB, 282 views)
File Type: lua ExamplePriorityScript.lua (4.1 KB, 145 views)
File Type: pk3 ZBa_BattleMod-v5.7.pk3 (186.9 KB, 240 views)
File Type: pk3 ZBa_BattleMod-v6.1.pk3 (192.8 KB, 958 views)

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	eggrobotag1.gif
Views:	11941
Size:	5.26 MB
ID:	26453   Click image for larger version

Name:	sonic.gif
Views:	6842
Size:	7.72 MB
ID:	28222   Click image for larger version

Name:	mapb0_2.png
Views:	94
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	28223   Click image for larger version

Name:	mapb0.png
Views:	6380
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	28224  

Supporters / CoAuthors

Show Your Support

• The author of this addon has given explicit permission for its content to be re-used and/or reproduced.

Comments
Old 04-18-2020   #82
Pyrakid Wolfo

Uhm what is happening?

So if pressing tossflag just removes your shield, this seems like a really big deal something that will effect gameplay and stuff.
I dont understand why this is happening.
pls fix

Edit: Nevermind, this bug doesn't happen, I broke something. I fixed it now
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	srb20467.gif
Views:	45
Size:	6.51 MB
ID:	29773  

Last edited by Pyrakid Wolfo; 04-18-2020 at 03:40 AM.
Pyrakid Wolfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020   #83
Pyrakid Wolfo

So i'm gonna put out a suggestion. Have Tails sentries cost more rings with every new sentry.
If mo.player.sentry.count < 1 actionrings = 10
if mo.player.sentry.count > 1 and mo.playersentry.count < 2 actionrings = 12
if mo.player.sentry.count > 2 actionrings = 14

or something, idk

For an actual buff, perhaps the charge time for Tails' buzzes to attack would be faster to make attacking easier.
Old 04-20-2020   #84
CobaltBW
Community Noise Maker
Developer

Tails doesn't seem to be strong enough to warrant any price nerfs atm. I also prefer not to change price values mid-ability if I can help it, as it helps keep the character's "ruleset" as easy to understand as possible if the price remains constant at all times.

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff
CobaltBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020   #85
Pyrakid Wolfo

I am *thinking* of Tails being buffed in the future, but I don't exactly know what way you would do that or whatever. Anyway, i've been SNOOPING *as usual* in your mod and have sucessfully(?) made some... changes. Multiglide allows Knuckles to glide out of dig, he can't without it (DIG, not Rock Blast), DIG costs 6 rings now, and puts him in JUMP state instead of FALL, and thrusts him 9 FRACUNITS (barely higher than Knuckles jump height.)
Without the multiglide wad he cant do anything out of Dig+Tossflag/WaitForTimer

Stuffs aside uh. I kinda wanted to see how Egg Robo Tag would work if running into people didn't tag them, and if Laser wasn't a shitty move. But I don't know how to do that either.

Also the charge for Metal Sonic is weird, you need 8 rings to initiate the charge. But you only lose 8 rings when you do the energy blast, which I guess makes sense for the current situation, but I've made Dash Burst now cost 0 rings, since the ring drain is enough tbh and it's not as useful as the energy blast imo, I think that makes it a better situational tool. But that on its own might not really be much, but I think Metal Sonic with the Comet Dash (Fuck you Float noone likes you), and you cannot go into dash mode unless you use Dash Burst *might* be good. Again, i'm hosting a server to see if these changes actually do anything bad or good.

I basically buffed everyone in Battle, and have started hosting a server to see if they are broken or not. [sorry if this counts as advertising netplay mods]

I've made some random changes in 6.1 Edit, I don't really know how to list them all. I'm not trying to tell you to make the changes I am making.

---------- Post added at 05:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:47 PM ----------

I also feel like the Ring Loss Half may be a good alternative to the Shield Stacking mechanic.

THIS Ring Loss Mechanic
- If the player has 20 Rings or more, they will lose half of their rings, if they have less than 20 rings, they lose all of their rings.

Why I think it'd be a good alternative
- If you hurt someone, you know you've done something about their ring count and they can no longer use as many abilities, but aren't completely useless.
- Shield Placement is inconsistent, I know you want to make your own maps, but making maps is very difficult, especially to keep interesting and fun. I would certainly hope that these "arenas" aren't smaller than Secluded Island. It has one Weak Random Monitor, it's simple, but not very interesting.
- If you have a lot of rings, you aren't given a huuuuge "fuck you", while you do get punished greatly, it's not AS bad.

What the ring loss mechanic is based off of
- Sonic Unleashed's Ring Loss mechanic, where I believe if you had 40 rings or more, you lost half of your rings. I suggested 20 rings or more because... well I don't think it'd make that much of an impact otherwise maybe, I don't know.

Last edited by Pyrakid Wolfo; 04-20-2020 at 03:57 PM. Reason: *clarifications*
Old 04-20-2020   #86
CobaltBW
Community Noise Maker
Developer

The issue with changing how SRB2's core mechanics work is that it creates a disconnect for players coming in, since their intuition expects that mechanic to work as it does everywhere else. In the case of ring loss, it's a bit jarring to not lose all of your rings on hit, if you are already conditioned to the ring loss mechanic from playing non-battle modes.

The shield stacking mechanic is a bit more graceful in this regard, because it doesn't change how rings or shields work at their core -- it just adds another layer of protection on top of that.

I have other issues with the fractional ring loss mechanic that are more balance related -- for instance, I think it makes it too easy for players to just... stay alive forever, but I also think it makes it more difficult to topple someone who has rings in the triple digits. With shields, you know that a fully stacked character will be exposed after 2-4 hits, and in the next hit you can potentially take all rings. It's a much more concrete way of defining a character's survivability, and it forces ring horders to also keep their shields up if they want to keep their offensive advantage.

The only disadvantage to this system is something you have already mentioned -- a system like this relies on balanced shield distribution, and the current maps do not make it very easy for players to obtain shields. I do have a solution to this, it's just something that will have to wait until my finals are over before I attempt to implement it.

Old 04-20-2020   #87
Seaball
NiGHTS addict

Also, fractional ring loss doesn't really make much of a difference since the abilities for the vanilla cast aren't very costly individually. Sonic, for example, can just snoop straight into a ring box and he's ready to defend himself again (granted he picks at least 1 other ring).
<seaballer> god DAMNIT pencil
<PencilVoid> JINX
Seaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020   #88
Greeneyedpsycho

Man this mod looks cool and really well made. Too bad I don't have friends with this game
Greeneyedpsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020   #89
TheLeopardDragon
Jeck Should make an SMS.md3

Whenever the Buzzes Defeat brak the cutscene where the alarms sound while everything is exploding and you're able to escape does not happen/play
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	srb20073.png
Views:	342
Size:	311.3 KB
ID:	30130  
TheLeopardDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #90
Apollyon Woman
Homestuck Trash

Hey, I know there hasn't been an update in a while, but I was playing the mod with some of my friends and we ran into some issues with ERT: namely, that whenever a custom character was tagged by Egg Robo and turned into one, they were turn into Sonic during the hurt animation and would remain that way until they changed their character manually. I don't know if this is a conflict with another mod I was using or if this just a general bug with the mod though
Apollyon Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #91
CobaltBW
Community Noise Maker
Developer

Custom characters tend to have certain scripting which conflicts with the Egg Robo mechanics, so I had to forceskin the player to a default character as a sort of failsafe. In the next version I will be looking into restoring the player's skin when the level is finished.