SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Releases > Characters

Jet the Hawk - V1.1 - now slightly less broken Details »»
Jet the Hawk - V1.1 - now slightly less broken
Version: 1.1, by Princess Draykon (Plush Princess) Princess Draykon is offline
Developer Last Online: Aug 2020

Version: SRB2 Rating: (2 votes - 3.20 average)
Released: 04-29-2020 Last Update: Never Favourites: 7
Characters SOCs Scripts Re-Useable Content

Jet the Hawk is here and he's ready to Race!

Unfortunately Circuit is dead and SRB2 is more of a precision platformer, so he's not really equipped for the right job.

As long as Jet has air he'll ride his Extreme Gear. In this state he's incredibly fast and hovers over some obstacles, but he's also incredibly slippery. Extreme Gear is especially good at gaining height from slopes. Always be on the look out for ramps to jump off of for insane amounts of airtime.

To make up for his lack of control, by pressing and holding the spin button, Jet can drift. Drifting will temporarily slow you down, then redirect all of your momentum in your new facing direction when you let go. If mastered, this allows you to smoothly take corners while barely losing any speed. Drifting into enemies will also damage them.

Tapping the spin key instead of holding it will allow Jet to boost. Boosting gives you a quick burst of speed as you'd expect, in exchange for a chunk of your Air gauge. Boosting into enemies will also damage them. You can even boost in the air!

The main way to recover Air is by doing tricks. Any time Jet is in the air on his board, tap the movement keys to do a trick. Just make sure to stick the landing- if you're in the middle of a trick when you hit the ground, you'll lose most of the air you just gained. Tricks are also your main form of midair control. Doing backflips will even allow you to gain some height. Tricking into enemies will damage them.
You will be rated on the quality of your trick chains. This doesn't actually do anything mechanically, but will hopefully make you feel good about yourself. <3

If Jet runs out of air, he'll be forced to walk. Jet is incredibly slow on foot- although he does have a simple double jump. In this state, you can recover air by quickly mashing the spin key.

Mysteriously, Jet's furious footpumping is also strong enough to break bustable floors. (This and the double jump exist solely to make DSZ2 and ACZ1 beatable >.>)

If you need the extra control, you can always use the custom1 key to temporarily disable your gear and force Jet to proceed on foot. Just tap the button again to re-enable it.

Known issues:
Spoiler:

• Controller support is wonky. I don't have a working controller of my own to test at the moment, but I suspect at the very least that tricks are harder to do. The lua expects the control stick to return to the dead zone before it will let you input any tricks.
  • Jet's Extreme Gear will be forcibly disabled in reversed gravity. His special physics weren't really written with it in mind, and this is just easier than trying to make it work. I might come back to this some time in the future.
  • I've tested most major stage gimmicks and confirmed that they work, but it's always possible that I've missed something. At the very least Jet can turn back into a normal character whenever he needs to with custom1.
  • He's still missing a few small animations here and there for things like the emerald victory screen, or teeter frames.
  • His sprites are prerendered and kind of jarring. I'm bad at art ;U

Special thanks to Inazuma, Flame, Ruberjig and DylanDude on Discord for giving me good feedback during testing.

Download Now

File Type: pk3 VCL_Jet-v1.1.pk3 (1.06 MB, 2178 views)

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jet1.gif
Views:	6733
Size:	4.72 MB
ID:	30404   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jet02.gif
Views:	6593
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	30405   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20030.png
Views:	342
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	30406   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20029.png
Views:	1119
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	30407  

Show Your Support

• The author of this addon has given explicit permission for its content to be re-used and/or reproduced.

Comments
Old 05-01-2020   #22
Princess Draykon
Plush Princess

I've uploaded a v1.1 patch to fix a few of the low hanging fruit bugs. Should be slightly less jank.
Princess Draykon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020   #23
Icarus
Warrior from Algol

While I'm not a fan of Sonic Riders (sorry I prefer the Drift and Sega All-Star series) I like that this character is using his actual home game controls. I may try him just because of that.
Old 05-03-2020   #24
Turret 49

...Well uh, oops.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20050.gif
Views:	85
Size:	3.21 MB
ID:	30623  
Turret 49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020   #25
crazybark

i love this character, his lack of offense sometimes hurts when i want to hit an enemy or an item box but you get used to it. also i think if the trick was mapped to pressing jump while holding a direction instead of just holding he would feel easier to control
crazybark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020   #26
softchassis
Call me Nadia

I love these complex characters that are hard to master but offer great reward for doing so (like Nasya for example).

What I find most interesting are the sprites though. They're very fluid and there seems to be more than 8 angles. He certainly looks good and unique.
softchassis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020   #27
Xmax311

Just Sayin': I'm New To These Forums,But About The Mod,It's Pretty Neat! I Like It!
Xmax311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020   #28
Daviroll_Limit
SEIBAAA!

uh... this character should be updated, this should't happen
https://imgur.com/bCogn1A

---------- Post added at 04:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daviroll_Limit View Post
uh... this character should be updated, this should't happen
https://imgur.com/bCogn1A
nevermind, i forgot to remove some characters, pls delete the precendent message
my discord name: 「デビッド~」|PC-98|#4594 (i know, very original)
My Twitter Account (fixed the link, plus the account is no more on hiatus)
Daviroll_Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020   #29
JonnyTheRookie

Tried it out and was pretty interesting, though if I could make some suggestions, make his stomp able to break monitors and have spin let you board your gear in midair.
JonnyTheRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #30
BlueZero4

Hi! Dedicated controller player here. I play strafe/legacy normally, and I haven't tried Jet in any other movement modes.

I normally use the move inputs during jumps for air strafing. I usually keep holding the control stick during and through jumps.

With Jet, I end up doing tricks during all of my jumps even if it's a bad time. (I've learned to let off my stick during jumps now, but that's not an intuitive behavior for me.)

I would have an easier time controlling Jet if the trick input was mapped to Jump + Direction as a midair action. I'd also prefer a backflip being the default midair action when no direction is held.

I have no idea if these changes would harm the quality of life for keyboard players, though.

(Also, I feel like I'm not getting enough air off of slopes, but maybe the general slope behavior will change in vanilla at some point in the future. In other words, that's probably not your fault.)

[edit] The pump frames also broke for me during my playthrough. If I remember, I'll try to reproduce it and report back why.
BlueZero4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #31
Icy Dragon

This character is really fun, however... please map tricks to jump + move!