SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Kart Releases & Mods > Levels

Kart Rev - A SRB2Kart V1.1 Base Game Maps Modification [v1.0.2] Details »»
Kart Rev - A SRB2Kart V1.1 Base Game Maps Modification [v1.0.2]
Developer Last Online: Feb 2020

Category: Version: SRB2 Kart Rating: (5 votes - 5.00 average)
Released: 02-11-2020 Last Update: Never Installs: 0
Multiplayer Levels

PLEASE READ THE DISCLAIMERS BEFORE YOU ASK ANYTHING, THIS IS NOT V2

Sonic Robo Blast 2 Kart Version 1.1 has been around for some time. Many maps have been ironed out in terms of paths by patches from Kart Krew, and have had lots of work go into polishing them from developers and strong routes from players.

At times, this has resulted in some unfortunate exploits and adverse elements being abused and some tracks seeing the short end of the stick in netgames, despite the work that has been put into them from their mapmakers and players. What you see here is Kart Rev (short for Kart Revision), the product of several individuals coming together to make a base maps modification that strives to improve the netgames experience for Kart Version 1.1 in as objective of a manner as possible.

This is a major modification to the base game maps of Sonic Robo Blast 2 Kart Version 1.1. A few disclaimers:
Spoiler: Disclaimers
  • This is not V2, nor is this a V1.2, V1.1.1, etc. While many individuals, including a handful of developers, have provided comments or assisted in feedback for this modification, this should not be viewed as the work of Kart Krew and only as the changes of the individuals listed below. All changes and modifications seen here were done without knowledge of V2 that is not available to the public (and in most cases were not considered as V2's ecosystem will be different from V1.1's), so any changes you see here may or may not (most likely the latter!) will be present in V2 as it runs on a different gameplay loop that this modification does not balance for. Feedback for this modification should not go to Kart Krew.
  • This does not move maps into Map Hell that are existing within the Normal Map rotation, or vice versa. However, maps in both pools have seen changes.
  • The primary purpose of this modification is to be run on Hard or Normal Speed netgames, with more elements being balanced towards Hard Speed. While changes were accounted for all speeds, please keep this in mind.
  • This is not RA-compatible, nor is it made with speedrunning in mind as several cuts that are utilized in “Any%” speedruns are removed.
  • No Luas, scripts or core game mechanics are changed. However, some modifications were considered with respect to changes made here (IE: KartMP, Haste).
  • All edited maps have updated subtitles that include “Rev” and feature a changed lap banner (if they had one prior) to make it clear to players.
  • This modification does not touch the Community or SMK cups. These maps were observed in a different sphere due to the nature of their origins.
  • Outside of a single new texture, utilized for map banners, no new music, gfx, or things were added. Changes were intended to fit in as well as possible within SRB2Kart’s basic canvas. Please do note that Rev does update some musicdefs, so you would want to load this before any music modifications.
  • 41 maps in total have been changed in the Version 1 series (v1.0.x): 34 from the Normal Map rotation, and 7 from the Hell Map rotation. No Battle maps have been changed.
  • If you are reporting a bug, please check Sonic Robo Blast 2 Kart Version 1.1 before posting. A texture that seems misaligned may be a base game element, or a tear in the sky that doesn’t look like a texture may just be a renderer quirk. Edge case elements, such as base game change suggestions, are welcome.

Spoiler: Authors & Testers

Authors
  • Gunla
  • ThatAwesomeGuy173
  • Runa
  • Barkley
  • Chromatian - Incorporated select fixes from KartMapFixesV1.1.wad with permission.
A special thank you to the testers who assisted in providing feedback for this as well; without their feedback and assistance, this would not have been possible.

Testers:
  • Tyron
  • InstableGriff
  • Maple
  • PorterOfGames
  • Julie Hikari
  • Dankies
  • wolfs
  • Siregulus
  • James
  • SteelT
  • Ibuki
  • Trailblazer1

As there is a plethora of changes, please refer to this document for the individual changes and explanations.

Download Now

File Type: pk3 KR_KartRev-v1.0.2.pk3 (13.16 MB, 128 views)

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	kart0007.gif
Views:	122
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	26408   Click image for larger version

Name:	kart0008.gif
Views:	116
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	26409   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumb.png
Views:	1008
Size:	1,004.5 KB
ID:	26419  

Supporters / CoAuthors

Show Your Support

• This addon may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without the author's permission.

Comments
Old 1 Week Ago   #2
SeventhSentinel
Social Media Manager
Developer

Welcome to Releases!
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
Alessand97

Nice

Thanks for all the effort put into this!
Alessand97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #4
MK.exe
The one and only!

Oooo an Unofficial vanilla map update?!. This looks really appetising and will test shortly

Good stuff!
Old 1 Week Ago   #5
GigaLem
DDR junkie

Something like this is something I'm most likely going to enjoy, but one thing I personally want done if it hasn't been done already. Have it so Crystal Abyss becomes OpenGL friendly, Personally I do not like the camera on Software mode but I can't play Crystal Abyss since it tanks the frame rate on OpenGL (I wanna say its like some sort partical effect or fog effect that lags it, I know because a friend had a map with a certain effect applied and it tanked the frame rate hard so he removed it) If something like that could be done, I'll be real happy.

But I'll enjoy playing through these touched up maps
GigaLem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6
SoupBowler

Copy and pasted from the Kart Krew Discord:

Ok so the Darkville ramp change felt rather unnecessary. Not only have I never seen people take this ramp in normal netgames for Vanilla, the removal of the split in the ramp so you can just ride through the middle isn't faster than just shoeing on the ground. In fact they take roughly the same amount of time.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...e_NewRamp1.gif

The only difference being if you go straight down the middle, you don't get another item...

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...e_NewRamp2.gif
If you aim for the floating item boxes with a shoe boost, that's also slower than just shoeing on the ground to grab them. So I really don't see how this encourages people to use the ramp more?

If you're wondering why the ramp is roughly the same as staying on the ground, it's the air time you get. Sure you captured the speed of a shoe boost going off of it, but the height of the slope slows you down regardless meaning you travel only slightly faster or about the same as your normal top speed when flying up. Maybe lowering the ramp's height and maybe having only one floating item set in the center instead of on each split path would make it more useful.

If I find any other critiques or bugs I'll post here again later. Still trying to collect my thoughts on the whole thing.
SoupBowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #7
TyroneSama
now "Tyron"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GigaLem View Post
Have it so Crystal Abyss becomes OpenGL friendly, Personally I do not like the camera on Software mode but I can't play Crystal Abyss since it tanks the frame rate on OpenGL
This is fixed in every major community build and the current "master" branch of Kart, was an issue with double thok barriers IIRC. If you can't compile for yourself, BIRD Mod includes the fix.
TyroneSama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #8
Gunla
Formerly Liberation

Kart Rev has been updated to Version 1.0.1, applying some hotfixes to 8 maps. In particular, a few significant changes have been made:
  • Fencing has been applied to the bridge in Chao Circuit 2.
  • The ramp in Special Stage 3 is surrounded by offroad now, but it is closer to the ramp to let low speed characters access it easier on Normal and Hard.

Detailed changes can be found in the Public Documentation Google Doc in the OP.
Gunla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #9
Gunla
Formerly Liberation

Kart Rev has been updated to Version 1.0.2, applying some hotfixes to 4 maps (Special Stage 3, Paradise Hill, Aurora Atoll, and Peach Gardens). Detailed changes can be found in the Public Documentation Google Doc in the OP.

From the seems of it, the most immediate updates and hotfixes should ideally be slowing down from here. There are some long-term goals that we'll be looking towards tackling and seeing what ways we can subvert some more under-the-hood issues, but for now, that'll remain under wraps; there are a few maps that will probably see some significantly more QOL-geared fixes down the line, however. I appreciate the immediate feedback with regards to everything, even if it has resulted in a more aggressive patch cycle than desired.
Old 4 Days Ago   #10
SeasideDoe
Rachel aka "SeasideDoe"

Hello, I've got something important to ask that can be patched soon-apparently it's possible to slide off of what I think is a death barrier in Egg Quarters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kart0441.gif
Views:	21
Size:	6.99 MB
ID:	26577  
SeasideDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #11
Gunla
Formerly Liberation

Hey Seaside,

Looking in, this appears to be an extremely rare occurrence of basically riding on a linedef that happens in Vanilla as well. From how it appears in the gif, you're landing on the linedef of a star post activator sector's ceiling and a death pit and thus the game is hanging you in the air until you are no longer riding the linedef and the game assumes you are in the star post activator sector, which is when you fall down in the other direction.

We're in the deliberation of how to handle our next minor and major updates, but this will likely be looked at in the near future, regardless of if the red spring panels are kept. Nonetheless, thank you for the report.

Vanilla repro: https://imgur.com/Z1KPBee