This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Since my last comment wasn't well made and didn't really explain it that well, I think having a high actionspd for the drop dash would make it more fun to do. I think if you feel like you're gaining speed, if you can use this for like speedrunning, etc.
I think that's probably all I wanted to say.

The actionspd is basically the lowest possible speed that the drop dash will travel. It's where it's at so that players can drop dash in place without careening at 100 mph. You should be able to build up some speed by continuously drop dashing, it's just that the speed boost won't be especially noticeable since you're just converting some of your z momentum into additional horizontal momentum (assuming you're already above 40 fracunits per frame).

Depending on further feedback, I could look into tweaking the numbers.

Seeing that Metal also got the thok reminds me that SADX and SA2B's Metal was just a glorified Sonic reskin rather than being a unique character.

That's not entirely true. It's was pretty much the case in SADX, but in SA2B Metal was different from Sonic in that he had a high jump, and a unique shield ability instead of spindash. He also didn't get the bounce bracelet. He ended up feeling rather like a different character.

Unless I'm mistaken, SA2B is actually the only official mainline title in which Metal is playable and isn't basically just a Sonic skin.

That's not entirely true. It's was pretty much the case in SADX, but in SA2B Metal was different from Sonic in that he had a high jump, and a unique shield ability instead of spindash. He also didn't get the bounce bracelet. He ended up feeling rather like a different character.

Unless I'm mistaken, SA2B is actually the only official mainline title in which Metal is playable and isn't basically just a Sonic skin.
I have no idea why I put SA2B in my comment.

Too bad he isn't actually playable in the main campaign after finishing the game (it would've been a neat feature to get Battle exclusive characters in the main levels). At least we have a PC mod for that.

Back to SRB2 the Metal Sonic is probably the best use of the character with unique abilities (because in the official main games he wasn't used well by Sega after Sonic CD). Thanks a lot STJ

I think unfortunately the drop dash just isn't working for me, like literally it just doesn't work... although the double jump does.

If I hold dash from a jump, I will roll on the ground but it's just rolling. If I double jump and hold dash, I land in a running-upright position. So I think maybe somehow it's not cooperating with 2.2.0/Mac OS possibly? I keep hoping it's me not doing it correctly. I can take video if you'd like.

I'm sorry, I just now saw your comment about how you're running 2.2.0. Yeah, this script runs some code that will only be readable by 2.2.2, so you will definitely run into some issues until you're able to update.

Last edited:
This is a really great idea and when it's at its best it feels a lot better than the thok. My one concern is that the thok isn't just good for speed, it's useful for changing Sonic's direction mid-air in an emergency, which neither the double-jump nor the drop-dash do. Would it be possible for the double-jump to cancel his horizontal speed or redirect it in a new direction somehow? I'm thinking like how the Scout's works in TF2.

E: It also stops Super Sonic from flying. Maybe that could be Super's double-jump action, since he's already jumping higher.

E2: The drop dash startup delay could probably do with reducing too, there's a lot of places on reasonably flat ground where you can't get one going.

Last edited:
I've actually found it's much easier to dropdash from a standstill since you can hold spin as you are rising with the jump key.

I intentionally kept the double jump simple as a contrast to Pointy's double jump. While Pointy's is certainly useful, I found it makes the character harder to control, and I wanted to keep the mechanics relatively simple. I feel that the simpler double jump is also more effective at teaching the player good fundamentals.

Super Sonic's float feels like a byproduct of Super Sonic otherwise having less vertical mobility, and I think the double jump fulfills Sonic's needs in this regard. Theoretically Metal Sonic with thok should allow him to float... unfortunately it turns out I forgot to allow Super when thok is enabled for him. oops

Last edited:
I just found out that you gave Super infinite double jumps, so, uh, that's neat.
E: Or not? Must have been some kind of bug.

I don't think the dropdash really gives you enough speed to justify breaking flow to stop before you use it - why not just spindash if you're not moving? What it is good at is changing your direction sharply when you hit the ground, but with the current starting delay it's tricky to get it to do that if you're landing on even a slightly higher surface. Shortening it by a fraction of a second would make it a lot easier to execute. It also doesn't feel right for a double jump action to be intended to be activated on the way up from a standing jump, when the rest are typically best used at the peak of your jump and while moving.

Last edited:
Version 1.3
  • Lowered drop dash rev time (15t -> 10t)
  • Adjusted the drop dash formula to make it easier to gain speed from high drops and successive dashes
  • Fixed Super Sonic being able to charge dropdash while transforming
  • Fixed Super Sonic having infinite jumps with a shield equipped
  • Increased Super Sonic's minimum drop dash speed by 50% (40fu -> 60fu)
  • Fixed Metal Sonic w/ thok not being able to go super

That is so much better, the timing on the dropdash fits the game's rhythm really well now. Thanks!

I've been getting a warning when I load into levels occcasionally.

"WARNING: ...ons\VL_DropDash&DoubleJump-v1.3.pk3|Lua/DropDash.lua:73: bad argument #2 to 'min' (number expected, got nil)"

I've been getting a warning when I load into levels occcasionally.

"WARNING: ...ons\VL_DropDash&DoubleJump-v1.3.pk3|Lua/DropDash.lua:73: bad argument #2 to 'min' (number expected, got nil)"
Are you loading any other mods with this? Which version of SRB2 are you using?

Very impressive, I must say, although the "double" jump seems a bit overpowered, in my opinion.

Also, I need your help. You see, I like to modify other people's mods for personal use sometimes, and I want to remove the double jump from this mod, or at least replace it with the homing thok. However, replacing CA_DOUBLEJUMP with CA_HOMINGTHOK in DropDash.lua (via SLADE) didn't do anything, and I can't find any other traces of the double jump being mentioned. How would I remove or replace the double jump? Could you help me out please?

This is probably my favorite moveset for Sonic. The drop dash is a tool for building up horizontal speed upon hitting the ground, it's a lot easier to control, beginner friendly, and more fitting for classic sonic's momentum based platforming gameplay. It also keeps the high skill ceiling and the horizontal speed oriented playstyle Sonic had before, but feels a lot more satisfying and fun to play in my opinion. The double jump is a simple yet essential tool for Sonic in a 3D environment, very helpful for platforming and synergizes with the speed buildup of the drop dash well (especially when combined with the whirlwind shields triple jump!), making him somewhat of a jack-of-all trades out of the character roster. The drop dash also plays very well with the momentum mod especially. I've been speedrunning levels in record attack with this and the momentum mod and it's such a blast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS4zjHP9HTE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wyGgXeImc4

Last edited:
This mod feels so satisfying to use! Great job! Although, I do have a few nits I have to pick.

First of all, the Drop Dash should be mentioned in the player select screen, like this:

5ee7c5bed606e.jpg

Secondly, it disrupts Sonic's super transformation. He just turns into a ball!

giphy.gif

Thirdly, you should remove the feature to give Metal Sonic the speed thok, as mentioned above, because the mod your trying to present seems like it's centered around Sonic only, and should not be stated otherwise.
Finally, I'm not sure about this, but I think I'd remember Super Sonic creating an earthquake with his Drop Dash and playing sound effect DSCDFM01 on impact.

giphy.gif

Sorry if I came off as too critical. Everything else about this mod is amazing! Keep up the good work!

Last edited:
I agree with the other post. Putting Metal's thok in this wad makes it overshadowed because the main thing here is Sonic's Drop Dash.

If this actually becomes Sonic and Metal's actual movesets I really wouldn't mind. This perfectly fits Sonic, just that I would prefer Metal to at least keep his Dash Mode, since that's what makes him really unique. And maybe keeping the float but on Spin? Though I wouldn't really mind if the float is removed.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back