a pikachu irl
Welcome to...Shifting Seasons Zone!
This is the first level I've made, been working on it since February 2020! This is an entire level based around a weather-switching gimmick, where you press a button (or hit a monitor!) to change the seasons around! This is planned to be a 2-act level, but for now act 1 is complete, and act 2 is hidden away as a bonus unlockable, as a sneak peek to what it will look like.
This level features hidden emblems, time/ring-based emblems, and a few unlockables (including an unlockable in-development act 2!). Act 1's gimmick is switching from summer to winter, and vice versa. Utilize the seasons to your advantage to traverse the map by overcoming obstacles that get in your way via weather switching. There are quite a few hidden secrets in this level, see if you can find them all!
There are also unique objects to these maps, the most prominent being Seasonal Rings! These rings can only be collected when it is a certain season, otherwise you phase right through them!
Future plans include finishing off Act 2, potentially adding a couple more unlockables, and perhaps expanding a bit of Act 1 to include more secrets. Ideas currently in mind are getting brand new sprites for stuff like winter scenery, new sprites to help distinguish seasonal rings from each other, and other decorational stuff.
Personal Best Time
40.62 as Sonic in Act 1.
See if you can find the speedrun strat I used in my own level~
- When the 2P Tails Bot collects a seasonal ring, it does not play the sparkle jingle.
- Captions aren't set correctly.
- Ice Spring, Rock Shield, Mobj RingSpill: Me, since I made those.
- Ice Spring Sprites: PencilVoid
- Music: https://soundcloud.com/leila-wilson-woofle/312notaiz
Act 2: https://music.ubiktune.com/track/taiga
- Sonic the Hedgehog (Master System) - Sound and Sprites used for the broken ring monitor.
- Pokemon X/Y - The Pi(ka)chu.
- Fixed snow appearing in the 3D Skybox.
- Updated the final cave area just a lil bit, because I felt like it needed a bit of changing.
- Fixed a few errors in terms of object placement and sector heights, caused from the last update.
- Replaced the giant ice wall with melting icicles, makes it look a bit more natural.
- Fixed issue where snow either doesn't start or stop when it should.
- Added new skybox texture used when changing to winter!
- Seasonal Rings no longer get out of sync with regular rings when switching seasons, thanks to the power of FF_GLOBALANIM.
- Given the ice actual ice physics, because...people actually wanted that? It's only a slight amount, but it's noticeable.
- A new secret room has been added. Will you accept their offering?
Act 2 has been updated:
- Given a new skybox texture when in autumn!
- Extended the stage a little bit.
- The leaves on the Big Tree now fall when it's...fall. God there's so many linedefs to manage just to do this effect.
- Added new leaves on ground texture used for the tree objects.
- Season is now stored when hitting a checkpoint!
- The ring emblems are now no longer just out there to collect, you gotta collect all the rings this time around.
- Created new textures to change out the sand and walls to be more "icy" when it's winter time.
- Fixed the water not looking right at the starting cave of the level (still looks just a smige bit weird, dunno how to fix it)
- Added rails to the sides of bridges.
- Fixed bridges not having water under them.
- Added various subtle slopes to make the terrian a bit more varied.
- Added a lot more scenery to the level.
- Added signs to The Pit, indicating Amy and Fang can not enter there.
- Added ice spring to starting area to reach the ice rings on-top of the tiny lil waterfall thing.
- Created a slope to get into that tiny lil cave near the checkpoint.
- Fixed the unlockable Act 2's ring emblem being uncollectable, because it required 100 rings. The level had 99 rings. I've just set the requirement to 80 for now. You can get all the emblems now if you so desire!
- Fixed an issue where the summer rings emblem wasn't given properly, because....I commented out the code. Oops.
- Gave an actual description to an emblem found in Act 2.
IMPORTANT NOTICES, READ BEFORE USING
This will create new data used to store stuff such as emblems and whatnot, do keep that in mind! The 3 unlockable characters SRB2 has will be unlocked from the start for this reason. The files are labelled as "shiftingseason.*"
This will not work well in multiplayer. In netgames, it acts very weird, for local multiplayer it's not that bad, but it's very much not recommended due to the way the level gimmick plays out.
Act 2 will not work properly in OpenGL, due to various bugs related to rendering. It will also not render the custom monitors properly if you use models in either act.