SRB2: Chaotic Edition

[Open Assets] SRB2: Chaotic Edition 5.0

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
hello, how can i access chaos city, when i am unable to switch from opengl to software? the game doesn't let me change. everytime i try so, the game doesn't react until i switch back with f10. i dont get it
 
Last edited:
hello, how can i access chaos city, when i am unable to switch from opengl to software? the game doesn't let me change. everytime i try so, the game doesn't react until i switch back with f10. i dont get it
thats an srb2 bug dw about it
 
Just letting everyone know...

srb20387.gif

I'm working on the next update. And yes, I've brought over the menu system from SRB2 Vanilla Achievements/MMT v6.4, since it's just good looking, and much easier to work on.

I'm rewriting the whole codebase from scratch, yet again, just to facilitate this update. I have some big plans in mind. For right now, the rewrite is roughly 40% done I'd reckon, and the code is so much cleaner now for me to work on.
 
Just letting everyone know...

View attachment 182329
I'm working on the next update. And yes, I've brought over the menu system from SRB2 Vanilla Achievements/MMT v6.4, since it's just good looking, and much easier to work on.

I'm rewriting the whole codebase from scratch, yet again, just to facilitate this update. I have some big plans in mind. For right now, the rewrite is roughly 40% done I'd reckon, and the code is so much cleaner now for me to work on.
its giving undertale lmao
-# (nice job it looks amazing so far!)
 
Reporting in with a week's worth of progress; I'd wager I'm 90% done with the re-writes now, on top of there being a couple new things I threw in while working on this.

Here's a sneaky preview of the changelog so far... most of it anyways ;p
texter.png


All I can say is, I don't plan on releasing this any time too soon from now. I want everything I have laid out in my plans for this to be realized; while I'm still happy how the last two updates were made and received, I ejected a lot of planned features due to me just wanting to put it out. This time I'm going to make sure everything I want gets put in here, no matter how long it takes.
 
Last edited:
Another week and a...bit of progress, things have advanced quite far; I'm now almost done with the rewrite, just a few loose ends that I kinda don't wanna do right now lol.

But, I've added many new effects, tweaked some more, and I'm starting work on the Big New Mode.

I won't show it directly just yet, but I'll give little snippets and tidbits, like... this!


The goalpost blows up sometimes. Just happens. You'll have to beat the level in reverse now!

srb20499.gif

Some levels will be tweaked a bit once you do this, having new objects placed down to help you get back. I'm also planning on reversing the checkpoint system, which I hope won't be a pain. I haven't done anything yet, I worry that when the level first loads back in after respawning, you'll immediately hit that checkpoint again, and that'll cause problems. I sure hope not!


srb20496.gif

I am also experimenting with a new camera system! There won't be many "cutscenes" in this, I don't think, but I still felt it pertinent to show this off when you unlock Metal's area. He'll play a big role in this update, after all...

srb20484.gif

This is what the camera system will mainly be used for; just to make talking to NPCs a bit more fun!

1770739193941.png

For now, I'll leave you with this; a list of the currently added new effects! Some of these are ideas I've had from the very beginning, but didn't really know how to implement. And others... well, they're more ambitious.

srb20500.gif

Oh and, the baseball minigame is real.
 
I think it's about time I reveal the conceit of the next update, now that I have enough visuals to show it off:

srb20519.gif


This is Metal's Mayhem. It's a combination of a randomizer, along with rogue-lite elements, on top of the pre-existing chaos systems!

The current plan is that you'll go through a series of levels, and once you beat enough levels, you will defeat a boss. Once enough bosses are beaten, you'll fight the final boss; at which point, you win! The shops will be randomized, and I'll hopefully try to include randomized events too.

In the previous post, you saw the goalpost exploding. That'll be one of the many "mutators" that levels will receive; they'll alter the levels you play in different ways. There can be more than 1 applied to a level, the further along you are, the more mutators get placed onto levels to hinder your progress.

srb20521.gif


I already have a few mutations in place; the one above is the Shadow Clones, which'll follow your every move! Touch them and you get hurt!

There'll be more to come; I've been spending a good chunk of time trying to get all the systems in place to facilitate this. I'll also need to brain storm a lot of ideas, I only have a few ideas for objectives, and some more for mutators.

Due to how this update will be, and SRB2's current limitations (maps take up individual "slots"), I'm also thinking of building a map pack of other people's levels to shove into this. Of course I'll be sure to ask permission and all that good stuff, but as it stands, there's not many vanilla levels, even with unlocks in mind. I might shove in the multiplayer maps as well, if only to expand variety. This'll be optional though, it won't be bundled in the main PK3!

I'll be damn sure to include a lot of good stuff here, but that takes time! So... I'm going to make damn sure I don't let anything slip through the cracks. There will be no promises, but I might throw a beta onto here some time down the line, just to make sure the fundamentals are working fine.
 
Last edited:
I think it's about time I reveal the conceit of the next update, now that I have enough visuals to show it off:

View attachment 183578

This is Metal's Mayhem. It's a combination of a randomizer, along with rogue-lite elements, on top of the pre-existing chaos systems!

The current plan is that you'll go through a series of levels, and once you beat enough levels, you will defeat a boss. Once enough bosses are beaten, you'll fight the final boss; at which point, you win! The shops will be randomized, and I'll hopefully try to include randomized events too.

In the previous post, you saw the goalpost exploding. That'll be one of the many "mutators" that levels will receive; they'll alter the levels you play in different ways. There can be more than 1 applied to a level, the further along you are, the more mutators get placed onto levels to hinder your progress.

View attachment 183579

I already have a few mutations in place; the one above is the Shadow Clones, which'll follow your every move! Touch them and you get hurt!

There'll be more to come; I've been spending a good chunk of time trying to get all the systems in place to facilitate this. I'll also need to brain storm a lot of ideas, I only have a few ideas for objectives, and some more for mutators.

Due to how this update will be, and SRB2's current limitations (maps take up individual "slots"), I'm also thinking of building a map pack of other people's levels to shove into this. Of course I'll be sure to ask permission and all that good stuff, but as it stands, there's not many vanilla levels, even with unlocks in mind. I might shove in the multiplayer maps as well, if only to expand variety. This'll be optional though, it won't be bundled in the main PK3!

I'll be damn sure to include a lot of good stuff here, but that takes time! So... I'm going to make damn sure I don't let anything slip through the cracks. There will be no promises, but I might throw a beta onto here some time down the line, just to make sure the fundamentals are working fine.
had me at boss fights 🔥
 
I should really be asleep by now, but I spent the past few hours refining this game over screen:

Yes, that is a complete knock-off of Daytona USA's game over screen (not my fault sega's arcade division made killer game over screens)

I've been mostly putting my work towards throwing all my work into a git repo, just to help manage my workflow. Haven't seen much results from that yet... since I've been busy making sure everything works in that! But, I was able to do this today, so, that's something. At the very least the issue tracker on there has been useful in making sure I know what things need working on.

So... yeah, not much tangible to show off, other than that :p
 
Trailer coming soon...
metallicmayhem_ntsc.png


I've made the trailer for this update; just trying to figure when's a good time to release it now!

I guess before the trailer's out, I've made a decent amount of progress. The git repo has done wonders in helping me organize all of this, it's a bit slower than just working on it without, but I can at least track what I'm doing, and consistently track things that I need to do.

I've added some new effects, improved existing ones, and started tightening up everything; I don't expect this to be done next month, unfortunately, but maaaaybe the month after. Who knows how this'll pan out though! I still have a lot of plans for this, I want this to be nice n jam-packed with everything I've wanted out of this, and I want to get it right too.
 

The teaser trailer's out now! It doesn't explain much I haven't already posted here, but, it's a nice visual representation of a lot of the work I've done thus far.

Right now I'm currently further integrating the rogue-like elements of this! At the start, you're given 30-ish chaos effects that'll apply to you when the Chaotic Engine is active for a level. And with Amy's shop, you can trade in effects with the currency used in this! You can buy good effects, or you can alternatively get more rings by obtaining bad effects. It's a fine balance here, you might not have enough rings to get a certain good effect you really desire, but will you be able to put up with the chance of getting any of the given bad effects? Or heck, maybe you'll get a few bad effects, just to get rid of a different really bad one!

I do also have plans to integrate this with the Chaos Cards system, it'll basically become more of a clone of the thing I took inspiration from, BAZR at that point. However, I don't think the cards will be "tangible", in the sense of there being a 1-to-1 card that gets added to your pile. It'll just be what cards can be randomly shuffled in your pile, there could be more than 1 of them in your pile. I might re-consider this later though, it's just not how my system is set up, and would require a lot of re-working to do that :P

The rings you get for Metal's Mayhem are "Volatile Rings"; they can only be used in this mode, and they immediately vanish once a run comes to it's end. I will try to plan for upgrades that are also exclusive to this mode, or at the very least shop items such as extra lives (since the life system in this is fixed; you can't earn them throughout levels anymore).

A good way to summarize all of this is that I wanted to add some sense of strategy to the chaos around you; there should be many options for you to be able to tackle whatever randomized challenges you face, in the midst of everything trying to destroy you. I think there's some fun that can be found there :P

It's a lot to undertake, and a lot to explain! But I hope this all comes together nicely, and y'all get to experience this soon. This whole mod has been in the works for quite a few years now, and I'm hoping this'll be the ultimate experience that I would've wanted to deliver from the very start!

EDIT: Oh how could I forget, I forgot the bonus gif I wanted to post here! Maxwell, my beloved...

srb20542.gif
 
Last edited:
srb2ce v5 metals mayhem.png

Work has been relatively steady on this, there's been a couple days where I haven't touched this due to... uh, stress! As you can see, I've now whipped up a logo for the update, I think I did a nice job with this! I heavily leaned into Y2K aesthetics for this logo, just because I thought that'd be neat! You can't see it in the MB's default theme, but there is also a nice lil drop shadow to the logo. And I think this turned out well, it even scales down to pixel art quite nicely. Now, onto the things I've put in thus far!


srb20556.gif


There's now a cheats menu, that can be accessed once you unlock Omochao! Inputting certain cheat codes will enable certain things that I didn't think would fit as regular options, but can be used to mess around with the chaos experience. The code I showed there is "Disable Incompatibility Checks", which does what it says on the tin. If you're unaware, a lot of effects are incompatible with each other, either because they write to the same variables and would conflict with each other, or it would just become an unplayable nightmare. ...but if you want more pain, you can enable this cheat.

So far there's 4 other cheat codes I've implemented, 3 of them are harmless and won't affect your ability to save, while the other 2 will affect your save, and have drastic effects. Have fun finding them!

srb20557.gif


I've also been hard at work getting Metal's Mayhem up to an acceptable state, and I think I'm getting close. The shops mostly function now, they'll give you a randomized selection of items to buy! This is where a lot of strategizing comes into play. What effects do you think you can tolerate enough to keep around? Which ones are a threat to your ability to play the next level? Can you tolerate adding more negative effects just to afford a really good one you saw in the shop? Or maybe you need an upgrade to increase the Ring Multiplier?

With this, you can see why I've wanted to make this update, this promotes some form of strategy amongst the chaos! The shop also functions for Chaos Cards, though it's currently incomplete at time of writing. Heck, the "Sell Back" option in Amy's Shop is also non-functional right now, I'll have to get to that!

srb20558.gif

Work's also been steady on adding mutators, like this! This is "Drunk Camera"... does what it says. It'll also affect your aiming a bit, so watch out with those thoks! There's other ones too, like "Blood Moon", where enemies have multiplied, and take 2 hits to take out now! And "Depleted Oxygen", where you need to keep collecting rings to keep up your air meter!

srb20559.gif

Oh, and how could I forget, I've also worked on the "Roll The Dice" interface a bit; now there's a lil coin to represent the Chaos mode you're going to play with! Additionally, there's a chance for the Chaotic Engine to be amplified; this is the same as the "Amplified Mode".

srb20560.gif

Finally, I've also implemented a better way to re-roll the dice: You can individually select which ones you can re-roll, if you don't like specific choices you're given. The strategy here is it's cheapest to re-roll everything, but if you think you'd do better with only one of the things getting re-rolled, you can choose to do so! The price will gradually climb higher the more levels you play, so keep some spare change if you encounter a hard challenge!

There's also other smaller changes, that includes stuff like "Bleeding" having it's effects get lessened when you have a shield (you can really tell I'm trying to add strategy to this update), you can jump off the frog when you use the "Frog" card now, and Tails' dialogue has been tweaked when you're playing as him! The changelog is nearly 80 lines long, and that's only scratching the surface.

Considering how steady progress has been going, I feel confident in my predicted release range of April! I don't want to rush myself to meet this deadline, so if I have to push it back to have absolutely everything I want, then so be it. But unless testing proves there's some fundamental flaws in this, I think we should be good to go for that.
 
Another progress update!


srb20569.gif



I've been working on adding match mode maps to this, if only to expand the maps pool from just vanilla maps! I do want to add support for modded maps, but I'm still rumenating on how I'd want to handle that; my current plan is to just give the player a script they modify to add the maps they want to include. It's a tough sell, I know, but I can't think of anything better while respecting MB's reasonable rules about redistribution of maps :p

Anyways, the pertinent part of the GIF is the "SKELETONIZATION" aspect, if you spend too long in these levels, a skull will appear to chase you down! If you don't exit before it gets you, it'll debuff your ring multiplier to 0.25x. This is to actually promote you to not spend all your time scooping up the rings in these levels, since there'd otherwise be infinite time to do so. I am unsure if 2 minutes is generous enough though, so I might think of either extending the timer, or re-thinking when and how this spawns to hinder you.

srb20570.gif

Of course I am working on more effects too, like this one! I thought of this literally as I woke up one day, so I decided to write down the idea, and got to work on it pretty quickly :p It's handy having a Windows XP VM to do this! Especially since I had to go with the beta "Watercolor" theme for this, the classic Luna theme we all know and love doesn't have a color palette that plays nicely with SRB2, while Watercolor looks... not as bad.

srb20561.gif

For a more relevant bigger change, I've changed the NPC's dialogue system! Now instead of running into an invisible trigger that automatically forces you to talk to them, a jump button prompt appears. I took this GIF before I solved the issue of the player jumping, but it doesn't make you jump when you do this now. I think this is a much cleaner system now! They'll also naturally try to spin and rotate towards you if you're in the radius!

srb20572.gif

And yes, that does include the arcade cabinet :p On that note, I am considering integrating this with Metal's Mayhem mode, I'd probably like to add exclusive upgrades you can win via this! You'd get one shot per level to get them, by beating score goals (like, 5 points or something).

As for general progress, I've been further tidying up and polishing all aspects of this, it's getting closer and closer to something I'd call "completable". Right now I'm using a specific save file with most things unlocked to develop this, because otherwise things are kinda broken. But more and more things are... becoming not broken! As for Metal's Mayhem in general, I just need to add boss levels, and an "end" state to this. I think I already mentioned it before, but the conceit will be that every few levels, you have to beat a boss, and once you do, you get a "boss token". Earn enough of them, and you get to tackle the final boss, which will just be SRB2's actual final boss.

Another objective I'm now heavily considering for this update is adding more Chaos Cards. This will actually be by necessity of Metal's Mayhem, since at the end of every level, you're given a new card, and the cards shop gives you a selection of cards to buy. ...but there's only like, 30 cards in total, so that pool will dry out quick. So, with that said, I need to whip up new abilities for these cards. I'm hoping that won't be a huge time sink into this project, but even if it is, I still have a month and a half 'til the end of April approaches!

srb20567.gif

Bonus GIF: The biblically accurate skull.
(this is a result of a cheat code I added... well, an unintended result anyways)

1773585978871.png

One final little teaser: A lot of you may have noclipped around the map before and seen what looked like an emerald inside the clock tower. I now am trying to plan for what to do with this... stay tuned :P
 
Last edited:
More weekly progress: Things have slowed down a bit in the past couple of days, but immediately after making the last post, I got some good work done on a lot more things!

srb20576.gif

Mainly, in that there's a whole lot of new Chaos Cards now! Previously the only new added one was "Weak Jump", but now there are 7 new cards on top of that! The one above is "Sticky Hands", it lets you climb walls in a strictly vertical way. ...it hijacks Knuckles' climb functions, but for some reason I can only make it work vertically. So, limitation is a feature, or something.

srb20578.gif

Another new one is the "Tackle" card! You dash forward (ignoring gravity while doing so), and if you latch onto an enemy while doing so, you catapult yourselves up into the air! This'll also have a laminated version, where slamming into the ground creates a small blast radius to kill other enemies nearby! (...though I might re-evaluate that)

srb20581.gif

And the final one I'll show off here is the "Sky Gem", another gem ability from Sonic '06! You charge it up to throw it, and wherever it lands, you quickly zoom to that location! Getting the laminated version increases the distance it goes! I am trying to figure out some way to indicate the charge progress, for now it just plays sounds when you start the charge, a sound when you're 50% there, and a sound when you're fully charged.

3 other cards are the Whirlwind shield ability, "Fire Charge" which is a kinda funny version of the fire shield's dash, and "Dust Devil" spawns a dust devil from Arid Canyon Zone to fling you up! All of the mentioned cards so far are in "Metal's Suite", a new suite to buy in Chaos City. And the "Weak Jump" card is now included in Fang's suite, so you'll get that when you have Fang's Suite! And then there's the "Shoryuken" card, which does a big upper-cut move with limited horizontal mobility, that's an individual card you can get.

The suites don't matter in the new Metal's Mayhem mode though, since what cards you get are completely random! ...in fact I'll be real, the big reason I'm including these new cards is I needed a bigger card pool to justify Metal's Mayhem! I would've still added cards regardless, but this was my main motivating factor in adding these cards.
srb20547.png

I've also been finally working on the area that Metal Sonic is at. ...though you can clearly see Knuckles is there, since I've made it so they now actually swap places correctly when your in Metal's Mayhem mode. In this screenshot you can also see that the ring counter shows how many rings you've actually banked! This is something that I honestly don't know why I didn't think of sooner, I just hijack the player's ring variable for this :p

Other than all of that, I've still been tightening up bugs, and polishing the presentation. At this point I think the presentation is nearly set in stone! I'm still not done gameplay-wise with Metal's Mayhem though, I have yet to do the bosses, and have an "end state" to all of this. And another thing I need to do is to give the player the ability to convert the rings earned here into permanent currency, to upgrade your abilities in Metal's Mayhem. I'm unsure how to go about this, since part of me is tempted to make... a third currency, though I know that'll be confusing as all heck. So I'm unsure what direction to take this, since I don't want players to cheese getting the upgrades by playing outside of Metal's Mayhem.

So, yeah! Progress has been going nicely, maybe a bit slower than I'd like since there's been a lot of stressors affecting my ability to work on this. I still think the April target is feasible, though I won't rush myself to release it before April ends, if I think I still need time to cook this up. I just can't wait to get this in y'alls hands, but I wanna make sure it's nice n ready.
 

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back
Top