What you see is what you get. Just a guy that loves adventure.
attachment.php

"Wait, Neo Sonic? Who and/or what's that?"

Character Trailer (Youtube)

Neo Sonic is a character that lifts several different elements and mechanics from various Sonic games; although his look is lifted straight from the Adventure/Advance/Modern era to help differentiate him from the both vanilla and add-on iterations of Classic Sonic.

He's heavier, and has incredibly poor traction in comparison to standard SRB2 Sonic, but he more than makes up for it in speed alone.

As of V2, he includes a few additional palettes that reference his appearance/colors in other games, alongside a few bonus ones I've thrown in just for fun.

attachment.php

ABILITIES & OVERVIEW:

Boost Mode
attachment.php

Lifted straight from Sonic Advance 2, boost mode will allow Neo Sonic to break the speed cap and begin running faster than standard Sonic ever could alone. In this state, Neo Sonic can destroy spikes, and he also gains a 75% jump boost from maintaining speed above the Boost Mode threshold.

Homing Thok
attachment.php

Essentially a momentum-friendly take on the homing attack from the 3d titles. Neo Sonic locks on to the nearest target and bounces off when he lands -- you can even hold down jump button to give yourself an added vertical boost at the cost of less speed.
Drop Dash [NEW!]
attachment.php

If you've played Sonic Mania, this ability needs no introduction.

Hold spin while jumping to charge an instantaneous spindash. The dash itself scales with your speed, so it can be used to extend your horizontal momentum, but also to transfer that into added vertical momentum on slopes and half-pipes.

Keep in mind that this is takes priority over shield abilities, but shield abilities can still be activated by pressing jump and spin at the same time.​
attachment.php

However, if you hold jump while charging a drop dash with certain shields...
attachment.php

...their effects will stack! Try out every shield with the drop dash to perform all kinds of neat tricks.

OTHER MISC GAMEPLAY TIPS:

• Neo Sonic is able to regain control out of a mid-air spin at any time by pressing jump again. Use this to correct your trajectory if you roll off a cliff.
  • Holding jump while launching into a spring will keep you in the spin state, allowing you to chain homing attacks as much as you want.

CURRENT BUGS/ISSUES:
  • Homing Thok doesn't cooperate well with shielded Egg Guards and Fake Sea Eggs. As of right now I'm trying to fix this, but for now the timer to reset your state afterwards should work as a failsafe and allow you to break free.

CREDITS/MISC:

TESTERS:
  • Chromatian
  • CrappyBlue
  • Gunla
  • Mad
  • Jeck Jims
  • TAG

SPECIAL THANKS:

• Clay - For being my personal calculator
  • Dimpsuu - Megamix Themes
  • james - For digging into the code and finding out stuff about the attraction shield homing attack, and also for fixing the spike break for 2.2.1
  • Lach - Original Toei Sonic homing attack script
  • Lat - For telling me how to do those sweet sweet sa2-style afterimages
  • TehRealSalt - Additional afterimage/fx stuff
  • Virt - For originally helping me with the facelift for my SRB2Kart Modern Sonic (which would eventually become the basis for Neo Sonic)
  • Wolfy - ditto @James
  • CobaltBW - Original drop dash script
  • VelocitOni - Original speed lines sprites

CHANGELOG:

[2.11 (hotfix) Changelog]

• Fixed a bug that caused thok trails to render for too long.

[2.1 Changelog]

• Fixed Neo Sonic's friction change from thrusting the player forward uncontrollably when braking on slippery surfaces/conveyor belts.
  • The camera now zooms out when in boost mode to accommodate for the speed change.
  • Particle visuals have been improved.
    • Added a Sonic 4-esque smoke ring when doing a thok.
    • Improved thok trails when doing a homing attack.
    • Improved boost mode particles.

[V2 Changelog]

• NEW ABILITY: Drop Dash
attachment.php
Charge spin mid-air to perform an instantaneous spindash.​

• OTHER GAMEPLAY CHANGES:
    • Neo Sonic can now cancel the control lock when spinning off of a cliff or in the air by pressing jump again.
    • Homing attack animation cooldown has been drastically reduced.
    • Neo Sonic can now properly stand on spikes and get hurt now. Oops.

• VISUAL CHANGES:
    • The strong homing attack, dashmode buildup, and spinning have all been given fancy new effects/sprites to designate when they're active.
    • Added new skincolors:
      • Adventurous
      • Advanced
      • Petit
      • Twilight
      • Laser
      • Cosmic

[V1.14 hotfix notes]

• Fixed collision behavior for objects containing the MF_SOLID flag.

[V1.13 hotfix notes]

• Falling animation state improvements/fixes, RVZ Rollout rock state fix.

[V1.12 hotfix notes]

• Added the proper VCL prefix.
  • Removed a conflicting function name that would break the thok if certain characters were loaded in.

[V1.11 patch notes]
  • Homing Thok tweaks
    • Now has two strengths! Holding down the button as you land a homing thok results in a stronger bounce, at the cost of less speed.
    • Checks now rely on a more netplay-safe variable rather than clientside variables (oops I wasn't aware of this, this is what was probably causing the syncbombs)
    • Improved overall reliability/accuracy
  • Animation/Spritework tweaks
    • Added a set of diagonal running frames to help improve visual feedback to indicate the direction the player is moving.
    • Tilt running frames have been repurposed and only show if the player is moving slightly to the right/left.
    • Reduced the stiffness of the jump/homing attack by adding additional states to help improve overall animation flow.
    • Improved the look of the Boostmode particle, making it visible from multiple angles.

Supporters / CoAuthors

This is modern sonic and T sonic This is vibe, this is Great!

Yes! an Update! *sees there is no Super Neo in this 2.2 Update of the Mod* bruh but still pretty cool

Yeah I think if he could turn super there would have to be a full set of super neo sprites so thats probably he cant turn super. there's also like maybe he wants to give super neo a special ability, but the main thing may be sprites.

Yeah I think if he could turn super there would have to be a full set of super neo sprites so thats probably he cant turn super. there's also like maybe he wants to give super neo a special ability, but the main thing may be sprites.
There are still several factors. Needing to make the sprites is the biggest one. But I've also determined over time that he just... kinda doesn't need it at this point.

He's gotten so many buffs and abilities to the point where a super form feels like it's overkill. The character has an ability that can destroy all but two bosses in the game in under a minute, three different mobility tools, and a passive co-op ability that makes other characters as fast as he is. I feel like with how much he already has at his disposal it's not necessary to have a super form.

...also like, there's no way I can create a name for it that doesn't sound awkwardly long. Something about "Super Neo Sonic" just... does not roll off the tongue...

There are still several factors. Needing to make the sprites is the biggest one. But I've also determined over time that he just... kinda doesn't need it at this point.

He's gotten so many buffs and abilities to the point where a super form feels like it's overkill. The character has an ability that can destroy all but two bosses in the game in under a minute, three different mobility tools, and a passive co-op ability that makes other characters as fast as he is. I feel like with how much he already has at his disposal it's not necessary to have a super form.

...also like, there's no way I can create a name for it that doesn't sound awkwardly long. Something about "Super Neo Sonic" just... does not roll off the tongue...
I absolutely see where you’re coming from with this, but allow me to shoot some ideas your way. Rather than making an explicitly Super Form, make it a Neon Form. His name would be Neon Sonic and basically require no new sprites and just upgrade the current abilities. Minimal work done for a new “Super” form

I mean, everyone thinks every character should have super, and for me I think the non-sonic characters were good enough without super forms, i.e. not necesarry, but Knuckles got super and so did Metal.
Super Neo Sonic doesn't sound wrong, and he is Sonic after all, so theoretically he can turn super.

I mean, everyone thinks every character should have super, and for me I think the non-sonic characters were good enough without super forms, i.e. not necesarry, but Knuckles got super and so did Metal.
Super Neo Sonic doesn't sound wrong, and he is Sonic after all, so theoretically he can turn super.
Not every character should have a Super form, especially if it’s meant to replicate a certain gameplay style (Meta Knight for example). You also kinda ignored the other statements that Chengi made about why they don’t want to give Neo a super form

Not every character should have a Super form, especially if it’s meant to replicate a certain gameplay style (Meta Knight for example). You also kinda ignored the other statements that Chengi made about why they don’t want to give Neo a super form
I didn't ignore anything. And I was referring to many people saying everyone should have a super form in vanilla, and I was also saying judging by how Neo Sonic is a Sonic, he could turn super if he *wanted* to.

Neo Sonic can't blow up the enemies near the first Armageddon monitor, homing attack often doesn't work even though the arrow shows up, i know you hold A to go high, but it does go really high.
Oh and the squash and stretch effect is a bit too noticeable, he becomes a pancake when landing for a noticible amount of time, but i dunno maybe you did that on purpose to make him like a loony toons character or more cartoony.

Last edited:
Maybe his "super form" could just give him a lighter, or glowing color scheme, and only unlock new abilities, or just one or two... Without further boosting his stats? Maybe one idea could be a higher control when rolling, maybe his homing attack would reach its target faster, without boosting his momentum after hitting the target...
Idk, The idea just came out of nowhere.

A few bugs:

Neo Sonic doesn't account for FOFs at all with his dust spawning, so if you're running on an FOF the dust will spawn beneath it.

dustvsbridge.gif

The dust also doesn't account for reverse gravity, resulting in it spawning upside down and falling upwards.

flipped.gif

If your homing attack contacts the ground before reaching the enemy, you wind up in a bugged floor roll state which doesn't do damage.

sloped.gif

Silly interaction when homing attack hits a spring shell's spring.

wide.gif

Lastly, the attraction shield's target arrows conflict and overlap with Neo's homing attack arrows. This one is very easy to fix - just give Neo Sonic the SF_NOSHIELDABILITY character flag instead of using a lua hack to disable shield abilities. That flag will automatically disable the attraction arrows in addition to preventing use of shield abilities.

attract.gif

A few bugs:

Neo Sonic doesn't account for FOFs at all with his dust spawning, so if you're running on an FOF the dust will spawn beneath it.

View attachment 45350

The dust also doesn't account for reverse gravity, resulting in it spawning upside down and falling upwards.

View attachment 45353

If your homing attack contacts the ground before reaching the enemy, you wind up in a bugged floor roll state which doesn't do damage.

View attachment 45351

Silly interaction when homing attack hits a spring shell's spring.

View attachment 45352

Lastly, the attraction shield's target arrows conflict and overlap with Neo's homing attack arrows. This one is very easy to fix - just give Neo Sonic the SF_NOSHIELDABILITY character flag instead of using a lua hack to disable shield abilities. That flag will automatically disable the attraction arrows in addition to preventing use of shield abilities.

View attachment 45354
Your awesome, you collect lots of glitch of neo sonic

attachment.php

Neo Sonic is a character that lifts several different elements and mechanics from various Sonic games; although his look is lifted straight from the Adventure/Advance/Modern era to help differentiate him from the both vanilla and add-on iterations of Classic Sonic.

He's heavier, and has incredibly poor traction in comparison to standard SRB2 Sonic, but he more than makes up for it in speed alone.

As of V2, he includes a few additional palettes that reference his appearance/colors in other games, alongside a few bonus ones I've thrown in just for fun.

attachment.php

ABILITIES & OVERVIEW:

Boost Mode
attachment.php

Lifted straight from Sonic Advance 2, boost mode will allow Neo Sonic to break the speed cap and begin running faster than standard Sonic ever could alone. In this state, Neo Sonic can destroy spikes, and he also gains a 75% jump boost from maintaining speed above the Boost Mode threshold.

Homing Thok
attachment.php

Essentially a momentum-friendly take on the homing attack from the 3d titles. Neo Sonic locks on to the nearest target and bounces off when he lands -- you can even hold down jump button to give yourself an added vertical boost at the cost of less speed.
Drop Dash [NEW!]
attachment.php

Hold spin while jumping to charge an instantaneous spindash. The dash itself scales with your speed, so it can be used to extend your horizontal momentum, but also to transfer that into added vertical momentum on slopes and half-pipes.

Keep in mind that this is takes priority over shield abilities, but shield abilities can still be activated by pressing jump and spin at the same time.​
attachment.php

attachment.php

...their effects will stack! Try out every shield with the drop dash to perform all kinds of neat tricks.

• Neo Sonic is able to regain control out of a mid-air spin at any time by pressing jump again. Use this to correct your trajectory if you roll off a cliff.
  • Holding jump while launching into a spring will keep you in the spin state, allowing you to chain homing attacks as much as you want.

CURRENT BUGS/ISSUES:
  • Homing Thok doesn't cooperate well with shielded Egg Guards and Fake Sea Eggs. As of right now I'm trying to fix this, but for now the timer to reset your state afterwards should work as a failsafe and allow you to break free.

CREDITS/MISC:

TESTERS:
  • Chromatian
  • CrappyBlue
  • Gunla
  • Mad
  • Jeck Jims
  • TAG

SPECIAL THANKS:

• james - For digging into the code and finding out stuff about the attraction shield homing attack, and also for fixing the spike break for 2.2.1
  • Virt - For originally helping me with the facelift for my SRB2Kart Modern Sonic (which would eventually become the basis for Neo Sonic)
  • Wolfy - ditto @James

CHANGELOG:

[2.1 Changelog]

• Fixed Neo Sonic's friction change from thrusting the player forward uncontrollably when braking on slippery surfaces/conveyor belts.
  • The camera now zooms out when in boost mode to accommodate for the speed change.

[V2 Changelog]

attachment.php

• Neo Sonic can now cancel the control lock when spinning off of a cliff or in the air by pressing jump again.

• VISUAL CHANGES:
    • The strong homing attack, dashmode buildup, and spinning have all been given fancy new effects/sprites to designate when they're active.
    • Added new skincolors:
      • Adventurous
      • Advanced
      • Petit
      • Twilight
      • Laser
      • Cosmic

[V1.14 hotfix notes]

[V1.13 hotfix notes]

[V1.12 hotfix notes]

• Removed a conflicting function name that would break the thok if certain characters were loaded in.

[V1.11 patch notes]
  • Homing Thok tweaks
    • Now has two strengths! Holding down the button as you land a homing thok results in a stronger bounce, at the cost of less speed.
    • Checks now rely on a more netplay-safe variable rather than clientside variables (oops I wasn't aware of this, this is what was probably causing the syncbombs)
    • Added a set of diagonal running frames to help improve visual feedback to indicate the direction the player is moving.
    • Tilt running frames have been repurposed and only show if the player is moving slightly to the right/left.
    • Reduced the stiffness of the jump/homing attack by adding additional states to help improve overall animation flow.
    • Improved the look of the Boostmode particle, making it visible from multiple angles.

Supporters / CoAuthors

I have
attachment.php

attachment.php

ABILITIES & OVERVIEW:

Boost Mode
attachment.php

Homing Thok
attachment.php

Drop Dash [NEW!]
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

CURRENT BUGS/ISSUES:

CREDITS/MISC:

TESTERS:
  • Chromatian
  • CrappyBlue
  • Gunla
  • Mad
  • Jeck Jims
  • TAG

SPECIAL THANKS:

• Wolfy - ditto @James

CHANGELOG:

[2.1 Changelog]

[V2 Changelog]

attachment.php

• VISUAL CHANGES:
    • Added new skincolors:
      • Adventurous
      • Advanced
      • Petit
      • Twilight
      • Laser
      • Cosmic

[V1.14 hotfix notes]

[V1.13 hotfix notes]

[V1.12 hotfix notes]

[V1.11 patch notes]
  • Homing Thok tweaks

Supporters / CoAuthors

I think the bounce would be cool if you added it

I found this bug ages ago but forgot to report on it here, oops.

If Neo holds spin to do a dropdash and mashes jump, the animation behaves a little strangely and the dropdash charge gets reset.

Attachments

• srb20003.gif
    srb20003.gif
    3.7 MB · Views: 202

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back