N64 Mario

N64 Mario V3.3

I really love this mod a lot but I fell like things are lacking in abilities. So heres some suggestions

1. A health system similar to sm64

2. Wing cap in special stages

3.more moves ex. Long jump , wall jump , punches ext.

4. Maybe kinda like chrispy chars replace emeralds with power stars
( warning this idiot ( me ) is about to say something dumb as hell)
replace brak with bowser and this mod will be golden
Post automatically merged:

Almost forgot

5. Triple jump
yes

This is so much fun to play with! This really feels like the 64-bit paisano's gameplay style! Though there are are few oddities and ideas I figure I'd mention:
  1. Metal Mario doesn't seem to really move all that slower underwater - he still feels way too light when submerged
  2. Metal Mario also seems to be affected by water currents, which doesn't happen in SM64
  3. I noticed that when Mario gets the Fire Flower in Pipe Towers, his overalls don't turn red. I know this requires some Secondarycolour magic, but it was a bit of a shame to see that he looks more like Ice Mario, speaking of which, it'd have been a neat little touch if breaking Invincibility Monitors would instead use the Mario-Styled Invincibility instead, complete with his whole outfit changing colours.
  4. Mario's moves are fairly limited - with only being a dive and a groundpound, it leaves more to be desired (like speedrunning through the game with BLJs) but I say the groundwork has already been laid for these additions to come!
  5. I think a a way to incorporate the Wing Cap is by either having them be toggleable between Metal or Wing (but not while one effect is active, and perhaps cost a sum of Rings) or use them in an XMomentum Hyper Form that grants Metal Wing Mario (Wing Mario could play sorta like Ray the Flying Squirrel, just with much more focus on momentum
I think these are all the things I wanted to say there. All in all, this is a fantastically made mod with beautiful sprites, and I say this has the potential to be even greater! Definitely will be playing this pesky plumber for quite a while indeed!

Are you planning on making the fire flower Mario look more traditional?
srb20048.gif

I really love this mod a lot but I fell like things are lacking in abilities. So heres some suggestions

1. A health system similar to sm64

2. Wing cap in special stages

3.more moves ex. Long jump , wall jump , punches ext.

4. Maybe kinda like chrispy chars replace emeralds with power stars
( warning this idiot ( me ) is about to say something dumb as hell)
replace brak with bowser and this mod will be golden

Almost forgot

5. Triple jump
slower moves like the punching that wouldn't be useful in a linear sonic gameplay style weren't added, same thing with backflipping and diving which already have their purpose fulfilled with the lunge jump and ground pound jump.

adding all these moves would also generally bloat the controls and be extra lua coding for something that wouldn't be used in favor of their faster counterparts.

their unnecessary and wont be added

This is still a sonic game so we want to adhere to that, a health system isn't being added.

Wing Mario is planned for the next update.

Are you planning on making the fire flower Mario look more traditional?
View attachment 52701
we were, but we aren't sure if it's worth it anymore.

This is so much fun to play with! This really feels like the 64-bit paisano's gameplay style! Though there are are few oddities and ideas I figure I'd mention:
  1. Metal Mario doesn't seem to really move all that slower underwater - he still feels way too light when submerged
  2. Metal Mario also seems to be affected by water currents, which doesn't happen in SM64
  3. I noticed that when Mario gets the Fire Flower in Pipe Towers, his overalls don't turn red. I know this requires some Secondarycolour magic, but it was a bit of a shame to see that he looks more like Ice Mario, speaking of which, it'd have been a neat little touch if breaking Invincibility Monitors would instead use the Mario-Styled Invincibility instead, complete with his whole outfit changing colours.
  4. Mario's moves are fairly limited - with only being a dive and a groundpound, it leaves more to be desired (like speedrunning through the game with BLJs) but I say the groundwork has already been laid for these additions to come!
  5. I think a a way to incorporate the Wing Cap is by either having them be toggleable between Metal or Wing (but not while one effect is active, and perhaps cost a sum of Rings) or use them in an XMomentum Hyper Form that grants Metal Wing Mario (Wing Mario could play sorta like Ray the Flying Squirrel, just with much more focus on momentum
I think these are all the things I wanted to say there. All in all, this is a fantastically made mod with beautiful sprites, and I say this has the potential to be even greater! Definitely will be playing this pesky plumber for quite a while indeed!
We hope you enjoyed the mod!

to answer some questions:

1. Metal Mario is still a super form, he's affected by underwater gravity like any other character but he feels lighter due to being a super form.
Their was originally not going to be a super form, but we decided to make it Metal Mario due to the fact it makes the player invincible just like Super Sonic. It's essentially just a reference not a full on Metal Mario. Not being able to swim underwater is an extension of this.

2. Metal Mario being affected by Water Currents could potentially break deep sea zone or custom maps so we decided against this, we don't know how to achieve this either.

3. We aren't sure if it's worth it anymore, it was planned however.

4. This is still Srb2 so we decided not to bloat Mario with a bunch of unnecessary moves the player can use by accident, we wanted him to feel close to a Vanilla character; The Lunge Jump is a mix of the Dive and Long Jump anyways and fulfills the purpose both within one move.

5. Wing cap is relegated to the special stages as another reference next update, we are not looking to add mod support for things such as Xmomentum although it was discussed early in development.

Last edited:
slower moves like the punching that wouldn't be useful in a linear sonic gameplay style weren't added, same thing with backflipping and diving which already have their purpose fulfilled with the lunge jump and ground pound jump.

adding all these moves would also generally bloat the controls and be extra lua coding for something that wouldn't be used in favor of their faster counterparts.

their unnecessary and wont be added

This is still a sonic game so we want to adhere to that, a health system isn't being added.

Wing Mario is planned for the next update.
Then you may as well just call this Mario with some extra stuff with surprise appearances of wing cap and metal mario

What I'm trying to say is: it doesn't fell like playing as sm64 Mario
It feels like Mario but not 64 mario

Then you may as well just call this Mario with some extra stuff with surprise appearances of wing cap and metal mario

I agree with this, this feels more like regular Mario, not 64.

The gameplay itself is a conglomerate of Mario 64 with few nuances from other 3d Mario games condensed into what makes a srb2 character work.

The design is from Mario 64 Promotional Material, The Moveset is based on Mario 64 outside of 3 moves that were added out of necessity since the main campaign would have been impossible to beat without them, the character select logo is based on Mario 64, the Soundclips are from Mario 64 with only 2 or 3 from thousand year door. Metal Mario and the Wing cap are powerups exclusive to Mario 64.

it wouldn't make any sense to make it just a Generic Mario, its based on N64 era Mario through and through.

if you just wanted Sm64 Mario ported into srb2 with no changes, this mod probably isn't for you. the team didn't think a character like that would work within the game anyway considering that's what it was originally going to be.

Last edited:
Here WE GOOOOOOOO!:threat:

Yeah, I did just go back and test right as you posted. It was indeed the horizontal springs. As hilarious as this is, it's something that probably should be fixed lol.
Hey i found that bug too!

Its kinda funny ngl

Attachments

• srb20034.gif
    srb20034.gif
    1.9 MB · Views: 105
Last edited:
After the events of Super Mario 64
People, this is AFTER Super Mario 64, why do you guys keep bashing this mod bc its not faithful to SM64? I like it, i dont have any problems with the mod besides being broken in races lol. Seriously just because its N64 Mario does NOT mean its SM64 Mario

Last edited:
Actually the ability you're referring to is "Jump just as you land after ground pounding to jump higher"
Yes.

Also, I keep finding myself trying to triple jump like how you could with the "Blario" concept mod.
But if you wanted my feedback on what could be changed....
I guess possibly add a triple and walljump, and that's basically it, this mod is basically close to perfect as-is to me.

Rueven updated N64 Mario with a new update entry:

Winging it!

V1.1 - Winging it!
  • Fixed the horizontal spring bug causing Mario to Lunge Jump infinitely.
  • Mario's special stage sprites are now updated to depict Wing Mario.
  • Swimming has been remapped to Custom 1, so Mario can now Lunge Jump underwater. Mario also falls faster when swimming.
  • Mario's underwater damage state has been updated to behave like the vanilla pain state.
Anyways, here's a render made by the programmer, Cherry.
View attachment 52713

Read the rest of this update entry...

I can't say I entirely blame people for thinking this was meant to be derivative of SM64. It's Mario from N64, it's in a 3D platformer, and it has the metal cap and such in it. Connect the dots from there.
Really, it probably wasn't the best idea to use the n64 aesthetic to begin with.

Oh, right, the mod itself. It looks pretty fun! I should definitely try it out with a friend at some point. More Mario is always a good thing in my book.

Hey, i just noticed that, Mario can still use his abilities while carrying a flag in Capture The Flag mode, this is a problem as the vanilla cast cannot use their abilities (such as the Thok or Tails's flying i think) while carrying the flag because of balancing.

Hey, i just noticed that, Mario can still use his abilities while carrying a flag in Capture The Flag mode, this is a problem as the vanilla cast cannot use their abilities (such as the Thok or Tails's flying i think) while carrying the flag because of balancing.
I actually didn't know that. Then again, I never played Ringslinger that much in all honesty. We'll look into it.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back