This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

Amethirst

Stuff.
THIS MOD IS OBSOLETE - FIND THE LATEST VERSION OF THIS MAP HERE!
https://mb.srb2.org/addons/gem-pack.4004/

My first map, being heavily inspired by the Hilltop Zone in the vanilla kart map, it's Hilltop Peaks.

I would like feedback and criticism so I can later improve on this stage and later ones I may make.

Thank you to the people that helped me test out this level and encouraged me to keep making it.

Attachments

• KR_HilltopPeaks_v2.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 315
  • kart0109.png
    kart0109.png
    3 MB · Views: 310
  • kart0110.png
    kart0110.png
    3 MB · Views: 353
  • kart0111.png
    kart0111.png
    3 MB · Views: 300
Last edited by a moderator:
I tested the track, some feedback:

- The starts seem to be reversed. Player 1 Start should be all the way in the back in order to give people in the back a slight advantage between races.

- The track itself is functional, but the waypoints starting from Checkpoint 4 are a bit messed up. The closer you get to a Star Post in gameplay, somehow it tells you that you're further away. Perhaps you missed something out there in terms of number?

- The layout is cozy and despite the amount of 90° turns, it doesn't feel monotone thanks to the sloping you added, which is a really cool touch and definitely not easy to do for a first map. There's also a lot of shortcuts that are quite good for game balance and the track feels rewarding to nail down.

- In terms of theming, the use of textures is cool - although I personally think you could make the underground section less cramped and claustrophobic. Perhaps open it up a little and turn it into a sort of lava cavern? Also, the shortcut in that section is quite hard to read, too, because of all the blue...

- If you update the track further, I'd also recommend that you try your hands at using an actual skybox. Perhaps it pushes you to make the area feel even more alive than before! Also, Sky88 will forever remain superior as the default blue sky, but that's just my opinion ;P

Overall you did a god job for a first map. I do hope the waypoints issue can be fixed eventually and that we see more from this track in terms of updates!

Amethirst updated Hilltop Peaks v1 with a new update entry:

Hilltop Peaks v2

MAJOR CHANGES:
  • Completely redone the cave section. It is significantly easier to read, more visually appealing, and open.
  • Redid the beginning section to have a better flow and it's much easier to react to than the previous version.
  • There's now a skybox!
  • There's also a new encore palette for this stage!
MINOR CHANGES:
  • Finally added a loop point to the music.
  • Added a better lava texture and added a better fence texture so it's easier to...

Read the rest of this update entry...

s1u8eq.gif
rrhsxq.gif
2kn3kq.gif

Unless you drive offroad and start your boost there, this cut will fall short for those < 3 speed. It's up to you if you want to edit this.

i4qnjy.gif

You also have some bleeding/slime here after the jump before the final turn.
Nothing too noticeable driving forwards along the track, but it can stick out.

Keep at it.

s1u8eq.gif
rrhsxq.gif
2kn3kq.gif

Unless you drive offroad and start your boost there, this cut will fall short for those < 3 speed. It's up to you if you want to edit this.

i4qnjy.gif

You also have some bleeding/slime here after the jump before the final turn.
Nothing too noticeable driving forwards along the track, but it can stick out.

Keep at it.
I'll go about fixing these issues, thank you for the feedback!

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back