Custom Dashmode

[Open Assets] Custom Dashmode 1.0.3

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

Bluetorch

Bluetorch submitted a new resource:

Custom Dashmode - Gotta Go Fast!

Ever needed a custom dashmode for your character? Or just wanted to break SRB2 with one?
If yes, then you have come to the right place.

This is a simple yet customizable dashmode script for your characters to use.

Here are the basic settings for the dashmode.
Settings:
local TOPSPEED = 100*FRACUNIT -- Cap speed for dashmode.
local RUNTIME = 20*FRACUNIT -- How long do you have to run for to activate dashmode.
local DEFNORMALSPEED = 39*FRACUNIT -- Put your default...

Read more about this resource...

Everything checks out from here. Welcome to releases! I feel like this has some room from improvement. When ever you thok with Sonic, you instantly get the dash mode. The original relies on a tic timer from what I found out tonight. Still pretty cool though and good effort.

Bluetorch updated Custom Dashmode with a new update entry:

Fixes and New Custom Dashmode

Hello everyone!

Thank you to the 94 people who downloaded the original file. I hope this lua helps make your character better!

Now that that's out of the way, let us get into the changelog.

• Changed the default override speed due to sonic's thok instantly activating dashmode.
  • Added more comments to the original file explaining what things do.
  • Added a new version of the dashmode directly from Pizza Tower! (Original Afterimage Creator...

Read the rest of this update entry...

I tried out the Peppino one, and... i may not be activating it enough to really see the later speeds, but I thought it had the actual sounds. All I hear for it is base SRB2 sounds. (though at least in vanilla, no level really accommodates it well enough.) In the off chance I'm right though (or, y'know, if you wanna try and fix the choppiness you mentioned), I suggest looking up a YouTuber by the name of Gallant Goon. He made a vid showcasing pretty much all of Peppino's sound effects, along with other vids for the OST, etc. Pretty certain in the SFX vids, he linked the files he grabs? I dunno, it's either in the comment section or description. Still, might help.

I tried out the Peppino one, and... i may not be activating it enough to really see the later speeds, but I thought it had the actual sounds. All I hear for it is base SRB2 sounds. (though at least in vanilla, no level really accommodates it well enough.) In the off chance I'm right though (or, y'know, if you wanna try and fix the choppiness you mentioned), I suggest looking up a YouTuber by the name of Gallant Goon. He made a vid showcasing pretty much all of Peppino's sound effects, along with other vids for the OST, etc. Pretty certain in the SFX vids, he linked the files he grabs? I dunno, it's either in the comment section or description. Still, might help.
I never had this problem when I was playing with the peppino Lua. I look into it though. Also when said the sounds were choppy, I meant when the sounds transitioned, it left a small gap of silence.

I never had this problem when I was playing with the peppino Lua. I look into it though.
I think what I noticed was the problem is that the actual speed requirements are so far apart that you need to be running for far longer than you should to even reach mach 2, where the actual mach audio starts playing. Around like 30 full seconds. I think you said you increased the initial limit because it could be activated by a spindash, but I think in this case allowing a spindash to charge it automatically might be warranted.

Edit: sorry, reread; it was a thok that activates it, not a spindash. For me, I don't usually play with the thok, so it wouldn't have been an issue. NVM.

I meant when the sounds transitioned, it left a small gap of silence.
Also, Audacity might help if you have access to it. Pretty certain you could zoom it in and trim it  right on the edge of the waveform.

Last edited:
I am trying to combine the customdash with the superpeeelout and paperpeelout but it doesn't work
Post automatically merged:

i tried to combine the customdash with the paperpeelout by using
if player.speed > TOPSPEED
player.mo.state = S_PLAY_DASH
else
player.mo.state = S_PLAY_RUN
end
but it doesn't work

Last edited:
Bluetorch updated Custom Dashmode with a new update entry:

New Dashmode Pack!

Hello Again! For a while now I have been thinking about what should I add to this lineup of add-ons. And now I have an idea. And a useful one at that.

I N T R O D U C I N G !

A combination of the Super Peelout and the Paper Peelout with my custom dashmode.
Imgur because of...

Read the rest of this update entry...

I am trying to combine the customdash with the superpeeelout and paperpeelout but it doesn't work

i tried to combine the customdash with the paperpeelout by using
if player.speed > TOPSPEED
player.mo.state = S_PLAY_DASH
else
player.mo.state = S_PLAY_RUN
end
but it doesn't work
I made a version of the resource that includes it. Use that one.

Last edited:
I've been wondering, why is the addon coded to only work with sonic?
I've also tried to edit it to at least make a copy for a different character, but that seems to mess something up even if I just extract the contents, change the skin name in the lua file, and zip it again, causing SRB2 to simply not load it (and not even show a message) when I try to load it.
edit: and when using slade, it suddenly has an error of an unexpected symbol near "then", and proceeds to not work.
Maybe there's a way to just... remove the requirement to be using a specific skin?

also, it isn't me sending it to myself through discord that's corrupting it either.
at least it's not just discord, but sending it to myself in general between devices.

Last edited:
it seems somehow editing the dash.lua at all, or sending it to myself through... anything somehow corrupts something in the addon and makes the game throw up an error on line 43 iirc, with an unexpected symbol near 'then', despite there being no symbols near any instance of "then", even if I simply opened the pk3 in slade, changed the name specified in said lua, saved it (or did save as, set to pk3), and sent it to myself through literally any method.
It does make me wonder, though, why does it require the player to be sonic at all?
why can't it use a command to set which characters (including mod characters) can and can't use the dash?
by the way, this was all for the peppino variation, as previously I was under the impression that it would have a higher speed cap or something, but then still wanted to use it because pizza tower.

Last edited:
it seems somehow editing the dash.lua at all, or sending it to myself through... anything somehow corrupts something in the addon and makes the game throw up an error on line 43 iirc, with an unexpected symbol near 'then', despite there being no symbols near any instance of "then", even if I simply opened the pk3 in slade, changed the name specified in said lua, saved it (or did save as, set to pk3), and sent it to myself through literally any method.
It does make me wonder, though, why does it require the player to be sonic at all?
why can't it use a command to set which characters (including mod characters) can and can't use the dash?
by the way, this was all for the peppino variation, as previously I was under the impression that it would have a higher speed cap or something, but then still wanted to use it because pizza tower.
Sorry! It was a problem on my part. I left an "and not" on line 43. The fixed version should be up in a little bit.

I don't know if this has already been reported, but it seems that in the paper peelout version, any models (assigned to PEEL in model.dat) also show when the dashmode is active when super.

make a pepino dash mode with the peelout and you got snick from the pizza tower sage build.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back