SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Releases > Characters

Alternative Sonic (v4) Details »»
Alternative Sonic (v4)
Developer Last Online: Jul 2020

Version: SRB2 Rating: (4 votes - 3.40 average)
Released: 01-20-2020 Last Update: 07-11-2020 Installs: 5
Characters SOCs Scripts Re-Useable Content Sprites/Graphics

Hey there everyone!
Recently I was playing as Metal Sonic and then switched to Sonic since I play him instead sometimes, and instantly thought: What if Sonic had Metal Sonic's boost mode?

After some work, I have now given Sonic a new ability. The Super Dash.

To use the Super Dash, keep your dash mode going for a bit. Once you break the speed threshold, you'll start glowing and be invincible (along with being able to break spikes and item boxes.)

Along with the super dash, Sonic now has:
- Capability to charge spindash any time while grounded
- Homing Attack
- Slightly different stats than base Sonic

This is also it's own character, so no worries about vanilla Sonic getting overwritten!

I hope you enjoy!

Let's get right to the point.

Alt Sonic started as Sonic with Dash Mode, but has evolved into a completely unique experience.

Abilities:

Super Dash Mode
Spoiler:
Alt Sonic has Dash Mode, minus the badnik busting and spike breaking. This is where Super Dash Mode comes in. This is represented by a sound cue, colorization, sparkles in the color of the player, and a unique running animation. If the player builds enough speed within Dash Mode, they will enter a state where they are not only at peak speed, but can also break spikes and can't be harmed. The exception to this rule is Metal Robotnik, where getting hit by the lock-on attack while in SDM causes a damage trade to occur.

Atom Dash
Spoiler:
Instead of a regular thok, Alt Sonic has the Atom Dash. The Atom Dash is basically a chargeable thok with special properties. Upon pressing and holding a double jump, the player will be completely halted in the air, and will enter Atom Charge. Atom Charge has 3 levels, along with an under/overcharge. Each level is represented by a paraloop surrounding the player, along with a sound cue. With each level, the paraloops increase in number. Once at least 1 paraloop triggers, release the jump button to shoot forward. This also changes with Dash Mode, gaining an instant level 1 charge and higher power. If held for too long or too little, Atom Charge will instead become the Atom Cancel, which puts the player into a falling state. The player can also hold spin while they let go of jump to enter Atom Cancel.

Spindrift
Spoiler:
Replacing the Spindash there is the Spindrift, a Spindash that can be initiated anywhere on the ground. This is mainly useful for preserving Dash Mode and making sharp turns.

Miscellaneous changes
Spoiler:
- If the player presses spin while in the spring state, they will enter jump state.
- Super Sonic has all upsides of Dash Mode/Super Dash Mode, breaking spikes upon contact and having an instant level 1 Atom Charge. There is a tradeoff of having no Dash Mode, however.
- Super Sonic also has golden sparkles that are similar to those of Super Dash Mode.

This project took an astounding 4 months to fully complete, and it went through many revisions.

With all that said, Enjoy.

(Legacy Alt Sonic is also included.)

CHANGELOG:
Spoiler:

v3 - Added some flair to the super transformation. Fixed the checks made upon Atom Cancelling. Made all custom sound effects built into Alt Sonic rather than pulling from the game. Fixed a bug where landing onto a moving platform during the Atom Charge glitched the animation. Added sound cues to Springspin and Atom Cancel. Changed the Spindash SFX.
v3.1 - Fixed a bug related to the super transformation.
v3.2 - Changed the style of the Super Transformation flair, and fixed a bug within it.
v3.3 - Fixed a bug related to Nights stages. Also changed Alt Sonic's color to Sapphire. (Incidentally, Legacy's color was changed to Cornflower.)
v3.4 - Fixed a bug where spring spin would no longer function. All prior update logs behind v3 have been axed.
v3.5 - Proper super color support has been added.
v3.6 - Dash Mode was reworked to have higher risk and higher reward. Jumping/ using a spring now retains Dash mode regardless of how slow you go, but losing dash mode means you lose all of it, not just a bit of it. Also gave the Super Dash (and Super Sonic) the ability to break bustable walls (even knuckles exclusive ones.)
v3.7 - Found and fixed a sneaky bug that made it so Alt Sonic could always break walls upon touching them even after leaving Super Dash Mode.
v3.8 - Fixed a bug with transforming while in dash mode and updated naming conventions. Also added an easter egg.
v4 - Fixed up Alt Sonic for 2.2.5+. Also, Legacy was removed (seriously it's so bad)

Download Now

File Type: pk3 CL_AltSonic-v4.pk3 (868.9 KB, 112 views)

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20017.gif
Views:	745
Size:	7.22 MB
ID:	32522   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20006.gif
Views:	641
Size:	5.32 MB
ID:	32523   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20002.gif
Views:	448
Size:	5.70 MB
ID:	32524   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20004.gif
Views:	356
Size:	3.06 MB
ID:	32525   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20003.gif
Views:	338
Size:	4.17 MB
ID:	32526  

Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20000.gif
Views:	412
Size:	7.79 MB
ID:	32527   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20000.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	32528  

Supporters / CoAuthors

Show Your Support

• The author of this addon has given explicit permission for its content to be re-used and/or reproduced.

Comments
Old 01-20-2020   #2
MellowJacket
The unreliable judge
Judge

This looks good to me, get dash boosted into releases.
Old 01-20-2020   #3
Frostiikin
Insert funny hahas here

Seems fun! I like how sonic's base movement speed is higher then the rest of the cast, that always bugs me how in the classic games everyone shares sonic's speed.
Frostiikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020   #4
xxsegaxx

This makes me wish all characters had a boost mode like in Sonic Advance 2 :o
xxsegaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020   #5
Zanda_Sama

It's kinda annoying just going full speed after .5 seconds of holding the up button. He's a bit harder to control now that his acceleration is so fast. I mean sometimes I want to just move a little bit you know? You could just change his max speed, instead of having him accelerate so quickly if you want him to be faster. It's *extremely* odd and noticeable. Which is kind of disappointing because I like the idea of Sonic with boost mode, as it rewards you for keeping your speed up... i don't think he should be invincible during it, as it makes keeping boost mode much easier than it should be, but i digress. You can't use the Super Peelout to initiate dash mode, which is completely fair as that's an ENTIRELY different addon, and that'd probably be hard to get to work. This also probably makes getting some time emblems easier, so that's a plus. This is completely unnecessary but if you want you can keep sonic breaking the ice walls in boost mode.
Again, just nitpicking. Great mod otherwise.
Zanda_Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020   #6
Icezer

I forgot to post about it for v1.1, but I have updated AltSonic! I have adjusted his run speed after 1.1 to be slightly less, and gave him a new ability (along with overhauling his boost mode.) As always, Have fun!
Old 02-01-2020   #7
Sinny33
Yes. Sonic and Gun exists

This is just FSonic but in 2.2 and overhauled.
Sinny33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020   #8
Xstatic
Smiley Trashbag

Default some issues

There are Some Issues For Me With The Dash Mode. For Some Reason, It Doesn't Make You Invincible At Top Speeds Anymore. I Hope You Fix That Little Bug, Have A Nice Day!
Xstatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020   #9
Icezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xstatic View Post
There are Some Issues For Me With The Dash Mode. For Some Reason, It Doesn't Make You Invincible At Top Speeds Anymore. I Hope You Fix That Little Bug, Have A Nice Day!
That's not a bug, it's a feature; You can now only gain invincibility while using the Super Dash with Custom 1. Thank you for your concern, though!
Old 02-08-2020   #10
Xstatic
Smiley Trashbag

Thats A Nifty Way To Seperate Sonic From Metal. You Have My Respect!
Xstatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020   #11
carlrev
The living revolution

How do you hide the player name in the HUD and change the small numbers to the big ones like in Sonic CD?
Old 02-18-2020   #12
Icezer

Hey there, everyone! I just fixed AltSonic for 2.2.1, and now the Super Dash breaks spikes while regular Dash Mode does not (In other words, I've made another balance change.) I hope you guys enjoy!
Old 02-19-2020   #13
CyberKnux
Knuckles Chuckles
Extended Ban (Strike 3)

Love it!!!
CyberKnux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020   #14
Zanda_Sama

Can you make Sonic not invincible during his Super Peelout *charge*.
Zanda_Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020   #15
Icezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanda_Sama View Post
Can you make Sonic not invincible during his Super Peelout *charge*.
I considered this, but I couldn't get the scripting to cooperate. So I stuck with what worked.
Old 05-14-2020   #16
Icezer

Version 1.4 has been released! This marks a major overhaul of this mod and I recommend reading the new main post for details!
Old 05-14-2020   #17
Icezer

Download is temporarily pulled for badly needed tweaks and nerfs.
Old 05-15-2020   #18
Icezer

The 1.4 rework is live. Spindash was HEAVILY nerfed, Super Dash was reworked, and the peelout was scrapped.

EDIT: Fixed FPS crippling coding bugs.

EDIT 2: Fixed A coding error and SOC issues.

EDIT 3: Fixed a spindash bug.

Last edited by Icezer; 05-15-2020 at 04:46 AM.
Icezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020   #19
Zipper
Killda
Judge

Moved to Characters subforum due to the character having its own CSS slot.
Old 05-15-2020   #20
Icezer

1.4 was FINALLY fixed. If anyone grabbed 1.4 already, get it again since the spindash bug I thought I fixed is actually fixed now.

---------- Post added at 03:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 PM ----------

1.5 released. The adventure style spindash is now fully implemented.

---------- Post added at 05:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 PM ----------

Fixed a bug where springs didn't function when rolling into them.