SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Releases > Characters

Alternative Sonic (v5.0.1) Details »»
Alternative Sonic (v5.0.1)
Developer Last Online: Aug 2020

Version: SRB2 Rating: (4 votes - 3.40 average)
Released: 01-20-2020 Last Update: 08-02-2020 Favourites: 6
Characters SOCs Scripts Re-Useable Content Sprites/Graphics

Hey there everyone!
Recently I was playing as Metal Sonic and then switched to Sonic since I play him instead sometimes, and instantly thought: What if Sonic had Metal Sonic's boost mode?

After some work, I have now given Sonic a new ability. The Super Dash.

To use the Super Dash, keep your dash mode going for a bit. Once you break the speed threshold, you'll start glowing and be invincible (along with being able to break spikes and item boxes.)

Along with the super dash, Sonic now has:
- Capability to charge spindash any time while grounded
- Homing Attack
- Slightly different stats than base Sonic

This is also it's own character, so no worries about vanilla Sonic getting overwritten!

I hope you enjoy!

Let's get right to the point.

Alt Sonic started as Sonic with Dash Mode, but has evolved into a completely unique experience.

Abilities:

Super Dash Mode
Spoiler:
Alt Sonic has Dash Mode, minus the badnik busting and spike breaking. This is where Super Dash Mode comes in. This is represented by a sound cue, colorization, afterimages, sparkles in the color of the player, and a unique running animation. If the player builds enough speed within Dash Mode, they will enter a state where they are not only at peak speed, but can also break spikes and can't be harmed by anything (other than Eggman monitors and Metal Robotnik stuff).

Atom Dash
Spoiler:
Instead of a regular thok, Alt Sonic has the Atom Dash. The Atom Dash is basically a chargeable thok with special properties. Upon pressing and holding a double jump, the player will be suspended in the air, and will enter Atom Charge. Atom Charge has 3 levels, along with an overcharge. Each level is represented by a paraloop surrounding the player, along with a sound cue. With each level, the paraloops increase in number. You can either tap the button for a weaker dash, or hold it for a stronger one. This also changes with Dash Mode, gaining an instant level 1 charge and higher power. If held for too long, you'll overcharge it and fall helplessly.

Spindrift
Spoiler:
Replacing the Spindash there is the Spindrift, a Spindash that can be initiated anywhere on the ground. This is mainly useful for preserving Dash Mode and making sharp turns.

Miscellaneous changes
Spoiler:
- If the player presses spin while in the spring state, they will enter jump state.
- Super Sonic has all upsides of Dash Mode/Super Dash Mode and more, breaking spikes upon contact as well as having the strongest possible Atom Dash. There is a tradeoff of having no Dash Mode, however.
- Super Sonic has afterimages like Super Dash Mode.
- Alt Sonic comes with his own color of AltBlue. He also has a custom Super Color.

This project took an astounding 4+ months to fully complete, and it went through many revisions.

With all that said, Enjoy.

CHANGELOG:
Spoiler:

v3 - Added some flair to the super transformation. Fixed the checks made upon Atom Cancelling. Made all custom sound effects built into Alt Sonic rather than pulling from the game. Fixed a bug where landing onto a moving platform during the Atom Charge glitched the animation. Added sound cues to Springspin and Atom Cancel. Changed the Spindash SFX.
v3.1 - Fixed a bug related to the super transformation.
v3.2 - Changed the style of the Super Transformation flair, and fixed a bug within it.
v3.3 - Fixed a bug related to Nights stages. Also changed Alt Sonic's color to Sapphire. (Incidentally, Legacy's color was changed to Cornflower.)
v3.4 - Fixed a bug where spring spin would no longer function. All prior update logs behind v3 have been axed.
v3.5 - Proper super color support has been added.
v3.6 - Dash Mode was reworked to have higher risk and higher reward. Jumping/ using a spring now retains Dash mode regardless of how slow you go, but losing dash mode means you lose all of it, not just a bit of it. Also gave the Super Dash (and Super Sonic) the ability to break bustable walls (even knuckles exclusive ones.)
v3.7 - Found and fixed a sneaky bug that made it so Alt Sonic could always break walls upon touching them even after leaving Super Dash Mode.
v3.8 - Fixed a bug with transforming while in dash mode and updated naming conventions. Also added an easter egg.
v4 - Fixed up Alt Sonic for 2.2.5+. Also, Legacy was removed (seriously it's so bad).
v5 - The QoL update. Fixed quite a bit of bugs and did some stuff for visuals. Also made the following balance changes;
Atom Dash charge time significantly shortened.
Made charge time even shorter if in dash mode/super form.
Also buffed Spindash power if in Super Dash Mode/super form.
Made Dash Mode/Super Dash Mode a lot easier to lose (it was way too easy to keep before.)
Made it so the Atom Dash doesn't completely kill your momentum.
Scrapped the Atom Cancel. Even though I wanted to keep it, it caused many coding issues.
The hidden easter egg was removed.
v5.0.1 - The Day 1 patch for v5. Fixed a bug that slipped by where jumping in a specific way made the atom dash visual/sound cues stop working. Slightly nerfed the "level 0" atom dash.

Download Now

File Type: pk3 CL_AltSonic-v5.0.1.pk3 (517.9 KB, 462 views)

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20019.png
Views:	120
Size:	2.94 MB
ID:	36173   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20020.png
Views:	187
Size:	2.94 MB
ID:	36174   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20000.gif
Views:	160
Size:	3.44 MB
ID:	36175   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20001.gif
Views:	114
Size:	4.60 MB
ID:	36176   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20002.gif
Views:	107
Size:	5.88 MB
ID:	36177  

Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20003.gif
Views:	113
Size:	2.97 MB
ID:	36178   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20005.gif
Views:	136
Size:	3.06 MB
ID:	36179  

Supporters / CoAuthors

Show Your Support

• The author of this addon has given explicit permission for its content to be re-used and/or reproduced.

Comments
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #62
Snowy
PersistantRubine

On one hand, the 'Easter Egg' made me laugh. On the other, I grew to hate hearing it over and over fast. Easily makes any stage with fire damage or pits annoying to me- I'd suggest that you add an option to disable it because playing Alt v4 again I stopped on any level that had fire damage or frequent pits. It's annoying as hell and piercing to the ears even with how low I usually have the sounds.

Last edited by Snowy; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:14 AM.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #63
Daviroll_Limit
SEIBAAA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
Easily makes any stage with fire damage or pits annoying to me-
uhm.... how to activate it?
i don't understand how to trigger this "easter egg"
my discord name: 「デビッド~」|PC-98|#4594 (i know, very original)
My Twitter Account (fixed the link, plus the account is no more on hiatus)
Daviroll_Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #64
Snowy
PersistantRubine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daviroll_Limit View Post
uhm.... how to activate it?
i don't understand how to trigger this "easter egg"
Jump in lava or pits. Anywhere that deals fire damage also works.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #65
Icezer

I will quickly mention; an update to give some more visual flair (and fix the frequency of the easter egg) is currently being worked on, but it may take a bit due to a few things currently out of my control.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #66
ClassicNC
Stand name: Sonic Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icezer View Post
I will quickly mention; an update to give some more visual flair (and fix the frequency of the easter egg) is currently being worked on, but it may take a bit due to a few things currently out of my control.
Could we toggle the easter egg on and off, so when it gets annoying, we could turn it off?
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #67
Icezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicNC View Post
Could we toggle the easter egg on and off, so when it gets annoying, we could turn it off?
With how rarely it occurs currently (not in the current public release) you'd have to actively try to get it for it to be annoying, thankfully.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #68
Su_per
INCOMING MISSLE

Fun fact: Metal Sonic actually has something you could call "Super Dash Mode."
It only adds new particles and higher speed, but it's there. Idk if you know this but I'm just putting it here because it's kinda hard to get outside levels like Greenflower.
Old 1 Week Ago   #69
GamerLuna2020
Default Please

Icezer, would you bring back the Legacy version of Alt Sonic? I know you think the legacy version is bad, but please! I love it!
GamerLuna2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #70
Icezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerLuna2020 View Post
Icezer, would you bring back the Legacy version of Alt Sonic? I know you think the legacy version is bad, but please! I love it!
Legacy will not be brought back regardless of how many people want it. I personally can not stand letting something with so much lack of cohesion (as well as bad design) exist alongside the present version. Please understand that due to personal reasons, Legacy will not be brought back. Ever.
Old 1 Week Ago   #71
ArleNadjaGUY
Arle Nadja Master

Quote:
Legacy will not be brought back. Ever.
I can kinda see why you wanted him gone. He's basically SA1 Sonic.
Old 3 Days Ago   #72
Icezer

v5 is out. That's all.
Old 3 Days Ago   #73
ClassicNC
Stand name: Sonic Plus

and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop comin-
Old 3 Days Ago   #74
GamerLuna2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicNC View Post
and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop comin-
"OOOOHH MYYYYYY TOOOOE!! SHREK!! PLEEEEASE STOOOOP COOOOMIIIIIING!!"

Don't worry, it's joke!

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 PM ----------

Quote:
Legacy will not be brought back regardless of how many people want it. I personally can not stand letting something with so much lack of cohesion (as well as bad design) exist alongside the present version. Please understand that due to personal reasons, Legacy will not be brought back. Ever.
Okay, I can understand your opinion on Legacy Alt Sonic being a bad version of Alt Sonic himself, and I can respect that. It's just a classic version of Sonic Adventure 1 Sonic.
GamerLuna2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #75
OofThe1
AKA DaVaporTails

Looks cool imma try it
OofThe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #76
ArleNadjaGUY
Arle Nadja Master

Go V5! go go go!
Old 3 Days Ago   #77
LuxisLand
Just vibing!

Quote:
v5 is out. That's all.
Lol, i didn't knew this would release now.
Old 3 Days Ago   #78
Icezer

5.0.1 has been pushed. Of course a bug slipped under the radar during testing, but it got found at least. Also made a balance change while i was at it.
Old 3 Days Ago   #79
Icezer

So it turns out the bug I thought I fixed related to the Atom Dash cues not working wasn't actually fixed. Until I figure out why it occurs, just know that entering dash mode will fix said bug.