SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Releases > Lua

SRB2: Chaos Edition - v1.4 (March 4th) Details »»
SRB2: Chaos Edition - v1.4 (March 4th)
Developer Last Online: Mar 2020

Version: SRB2 Rating: (1 votes - 3.20 average)
Released: 02-24-2020 Last Update: 02-25-2020 Installs: 1
Scripts Re-Useable Content

Welcome to...
Sonic Robo Blast 2: Chaos Edition.

What is SRB2: Chaos Edition?
This is a mod that makes the game go entirely wild. Every 5-12 seconds, you have a chance of a gameplay modifying-effect being applied onto you. This can range from the ground turning into butter, to you being given rings, or to the game just rotating you and your viewing angle entirely. Each effect has its own chance rate of occuring, so it's not an even playing field for the more egregious ones.
You are given 4 slots for the effects to nestle into. If all are full, you can't be given any more effects, though generally speaking it's a rare occurance to see all 4 occupied.

List of Effects
  • giant - You turn into a giant for 10 seconds.
  • cement shoes - Your shoes are filled with cement for 8 seconds, making it much harder to move around.
  • tiny - You become reaaally tiny for 8 seconds.
  • no charability - You can't use your main or secondary ability for 15 seconds.
  • magnet - All enemies (and players) are attracted to you within a pretty hefty radius for 17 seconds. To prevent True Chaos, only one player at a time can have this effect.
  • flingback - You are flung back a considerable distance, it's especially noticeable if you're in the air when this occurs.
  • anti-superring - 10 rings are taken away.
  • superring - Given 10 rings!
  • i taketh - Pretty much any goodies you might have (such as shields, power-ups, invulnerability, etc.) is taken away from you. Also you have 3 rings taken away.
  • nuke - An Armageddon Shield explosion occurs where you are.
  • drifting left - Your angle is constantly shifting to the left, making it hard to aim where you're supposed to.
  • butter physics - The ground is made of butter, and you slide everywhere!
  • give good stuff - You are given some nice stuff. If you don't have a shield, you get a pity shield, and there's a small chance you can score some invincibility, super sneakers, and some rings.
  • change skin color - Scrambles the player's colors.
  • change skin - Scrambles the player's character.
  • super jump - Makes the player jump a lot higher for 12 seconds.
  • the ride never ends - Tilts the player's screen and sprite for 20 seconds.
  • the pizza is aggressive - You ordered a pizza, but it's too aggressive to handle. Lasts for 10 seconds.
  • remove random effect - Does what it says on the tin, removes a random effect that you have currently on you.
  • money bag - Gives you rings for 4 seconds, giving you a nice 28 rings in total!
  • ghost - Causes you to turn mostly invisible and to pass through every object for 8 seconds!
  • earthquake - An earthquake is happening, shaking your screen pretty hard! Lasts for 13 seconds.

Commands
Spoiler:
  • chaoshud <top/bottom/off>, <1-5>: Changes the position of the HUD, or disables it. Default is bottom, 2.
  • chaosprint <on/off>: Toggles the printing of effects to console. Default is on.
  • chaosdebugger <on/off>: Enables debugging printing. Default is off.

Changelog
Spoiler:

v1.4
  • Vastly rewritten the code used to handle applying the effects, should have a ton less lag potential.
  • Removed unused code in a lot of areas that might've hindered performance.
  • Added effect: earthquake, causes the whole screen to shake for 13 seconds.
  • "i taketh" no longer takes 3 blue spheres when in MP Special Stages.
  • "i taketh" now only takes away invunerability when the player is above 0 rings.
    It also now takes away a lot less blue spheres in NiGHTs, now taking away only 2.
  • Reduced length of cement shoes by a little bit, and made it a quite a bit less common.
    Also, reduced the amount of traction cement shoes has on the player.
    On the upside, cement shoes now causes a minor quaking effect when landing.
  • It's finally been done, instant death has just been outright removed.
  • "the pizza is aggressive" no longer occurs in MP Special Stages due to game crashes.
  • Fixed bug where if you died or respawned while having the ghost effect, you were still transparent.
  • Fixed bug with sound captions, now the correct one is displayed for the ghost and the pizza hitting the player.
v1.3
  • The fair and balanced update:
    the pizza no longer instantly kills the player, only hurting them (however it does go through shields), as a result it is now slightly more common now.
    anti-superring no longer happens in boss fights
    money bag works better in special stages, now awarding the player with blue spheres instead.
    but also i taketh works in multiplayer special stages now, taking away a few blue spheres
    new exceptions added to the minecarts, preventing certain effects from taking place
    Magnet has been changed, now it no longer takes away the ability to use your character abilities (e.g. flying and whatnot). It's range has sadly been reduced (plz giv us range option in P_LookForEnemies), and it no longer attracts players unfortunately, but it attracts monitors now, so uh, watch out.
    Character swap and color swap has had their chances increased by a significant amount.
  • New effect: ghost, causes the player to phase through any and all objects for 8 seconds. Not walls though, that'd be cheating!
  • Increased range for amount of time an effect can't be chosen again, now it goes from 20 to 30 seconds.
  • Made it so the effect chooser system works with a two tic delay, to help prevent lag.
  • Removed the reduced chance for bots to get affects applied on them, this might've been causing issues.
  • Fixed bug with the "prevent previous effect system", it didn't count for things that were in slot 2!
  • Fixed bug with "remove random effect", where it would not work after having it used once.
v1.2
  • Added new checks, now if you're in NiGHTs, the amount of effects has been reduced to prevent softlocks. This check also includes boss level just to remove a few ones that are either useless or make it impossible to complete.
  • Another new check is now in place: There is now 4 slots for previous effects to reside in. In a nutshell: When an effect has been removed, it can not be chosen again for 15-25 seconds.
  • New status effect: "remove random effect". This removes a random effect that you might have on you atm! Whether it be a good or bad one depends on the fate of the dice, as with everything in this mod.
  • New status effect: "money bag", gives you a steady stream of rings for 4 seconds, giving you a nice total of 28 rings!
  • New effect for the HUD: When it's cycling through effects to choose, it will now visualize what effects are being considered, like a roulette.
  • Gave the color swap effect a unique icon, to distinguish it from character swapping.
  • Cement shoes now affects your weight, you can't go up as much, and you fall down much faster.
  • Increased chances of "give good stuff" occuring.
  • Increased chances of "superring" occuring.
  • nocharability can no longer occur when cement shoes are happening, and vice versa.
  • Just remembered, there *IS* a feature that only 2.2.2 has. So...back to only being playable on 2.2.2 this mod goes! Just keep the game up to date nerd.
  • If player was about to have an effect applied to them but died, they will no longer have it apply immediately upon respawning.
  • Fixed bug where if you go giant once, you can't go tiny until respawning, and vice versa.
v1.1.1
  • Replaced sfx for when the aggressive pizza wears off.
  • Reduced the chance of giant and cement shoes by just a fraction.
  • Reduced timer on pizza from 12 seconds to 10.
  • Removed the following from occuring in NiGHTs:
    Giant
    The Pizza is Aggressive
    Instant Death
v1.1
  • Added new effect: "the pizza is aggressive".
  • Fixed "i taketh" bugging out when not in a NiGHTs stage.
  • Further reduced chances of Instant Death actually activating. You'll have had to do [INSERT SUPERSTITION HERE] to activate this now.
  • Script now detects 2.2.1 instead of 2.2.2, since it doesn't use any 2.2.2 specific features...for now. Still update the game you nerd.

Future Plans For Updates
Broad plans include stuff like a brand new title screen, with, well, Chaos happening in the background, along with a new logo to append to SRB2, ala S3&K.
New effects planned include stuff like darkened vision, the player sprite turning into something entirely different, and more!
Here's a full list of effects planned:
Spoiler:
  • Lose ability to change angle of player for 10 seconds
  • Black hole, *EVERYTHING* within a much larger radius starts coming towards the player, minus other players, in which they will forcibly noclip through the terrain too.
  • Player sprite turns into something else
  • Darkened vision
  • Mess with the fov
    use player.fovadd....which doesn't work in software. smh stjr >:(
  • Invert controls
    Probably not possible?
  • Earthquake

Download Now

File Type: pk3 VL_ChaosEdition-v1.4.pk3 (98.0 KB, 400 views)

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20902.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	27161   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20901.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	27162   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20900.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	27163   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20889.png
Views:	203
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	27164   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20782.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	27165  

Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20755.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	27166   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20774.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	27167   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20896.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	27168   Click image for larger version

Name:	ezgif-6-507af0d9ff8c.gif
Views:	178
Size:	7.77 MB
ID:	27170   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20211.gif
Views:	152
Size:	4.51 MB
ID:	27171  

Show Your Support

• The author of this addon has given explicit permission for its content to be re-used and/or reproduced.

Comments
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2
D00D64
Worst Ranked 'Kart Player

It can go into releases, though I have had an instance of softlocking in NiGHTS mode: I grew Giant as I entered the capsule, I was prevented from feeding spheres into opening the capsule and was stuck spinning, and then an aggressive pizza killed me and I just stopped existing, and the timer wouldn't tick down. I have a feeling a lot of these effects wouldn't work in NiGHTS mode, so perhaps disable Chaos stuff for NiGHTS mode, at least for now?

My awful Twitter account

My also awful YouTube channel
D00D64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3
birbhorse
local eevee petter

I did try to make this more compatible with NiGHTs, I'll try to further refine it so effects like that just don't occur in it first, if it doesn't go according to plan, I'll just disable it entirely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by D00D64 View Post
It can go into releases, though I have had an instance of softlocking in NiGHTS mode: I grew Giant as I entered the capsule, I was prevented from feeding spheres into opening the capsule and was stuck spinning, and then an aggressive pizza killed me and I just stopped existing, and the timer wouldn't tick down. I have a feeling a lot of these effects wouldn't work in NiGHTS mode, so perhaps disable Chaos stuff for NiGHTS mode, at least for now?
birbhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4
GreenKnight9000

I'm surprised that a "Turn Super" and "Exit Super" effect wasn't included, I thought that would open up chances for more hilarity, other than that, this is REALLY fun and gave me a good laugh as I played!
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5
birbhorse
local eevee petter

The ability to turn super was actually in the draft plans for this mod, but I didn't implement it in the end due to how the Choosening system works for this, I'll think about it for maybe v1.2. Incidentally, "i taketh" removes your super form iirc, so there's that at least :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKnight9000 View Post
I'm surprised that a "Turn Super" and "Exit Super" effect wasn't included, I thought that would open up chances for more hilarity, other than that, this is REALLY fun and gave me a good laugh as I played!
In other news...v1.1.1 is now out, it just tweaks some things and removes certain things from occurring in NiGHTs to prevent softlocks.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6
Skye
meowth dat's wrong

I really do love the concept behind this, it reminds me of the Reelism mod for base Doom.

Though if I were to offer any kind of suggestion for improvement, it would be to maybe look into expanding some more options for positive effects for the player as well. Chaos is fun and all, but there's nothing chaotic about being slammed with cement shoes and ability loss six times in a row, hah.

Regardless, I absolutely love what you've got going so far, and I only wish it the best.
Skye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #7
Cabelio
Edgy Trashbag

Magnet and Amy don't work well together...
Otherwise great concept and well executed!
Cabelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #8
birbhorse
local eevee petter

I'll be thinkin bout more positive effects, I do know I need more in there! Problem is I dunno of much tbh lol. My current progress on v1.2 includes a system that prevents an effect from happening multiple times in a row already, so that's something at least!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye View Post
I really do love the concept behind this, it reminds me of the Reelism mod for base Doom.

Though if I were to offer any kind of suggestion for improvement, it would be to maybe look into expanding some more options for positive effects for the player as well. Chaos is fun and all, but there's nothing chaotic about being slammed with cement shoes and ability loss six times in a row, hah.

Regardless, I absolutely love what you've got going so far, and I only wish it the best.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9
birbhorse
local eevee petter

New update out, v1.2! In it brings a whole bunch of changes, most notably there's now a new system to prevent the same effect from happening twice in a row! In shellnut: When effect is removed, it can not be chosen again for 15-25 seconds.

Two new effects have been added, money bag and remove random effect. Money bag gives ya rings on a gradual basis for 4 seconds, and you can guess what remove random effect does. On top of all of this, a couple of the good effects have had their chance rates increased.

Enjoy!
(p.s: between you and me, if you enable "chaosdebugger", custom1 is set to give the player an effect immediately, it's pretty broken due to how the script is set up, but knock yourself out)
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #10
CyberKnux
Knuckles Chuckles
Tempbanned (Strike 2)

this is the unofficial sequal to SM64 chaos edition
CyberKnux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #11
birbhorse
local eevee petter

New update time once more! v1.3 is here, and with it comes a whole bunch of rebalancing.
The aggressive pizza is no longer an insta-kill, instead just going right through shields (and invulnerability if you're above 0 rings), money bag gives blue spheres in special stages, and magnet has been changed to work significantly differently. It's unfourtunately not as chaotic, but this is the price one must pay to rewrite to use P_LookForEnemies (give us a range option plz), and finally a new effect was added, ghost, which makes you go right through everything for 8 seconds.

And of course there is much more, check the changelog for more details!

Last edited by birbhorse; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:33 PM.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #12
GXP3000
Alligator in the North

This is a really fun thing to play around with in a server, but came across two issues. I ended up coming across a sigsegv caused by a pizza spawning in the MP Special Stages and apparently we somehow didn't have enough blue spheres in the stage, even though we collected all of them. It might've been caused by anti-superring, but I'm not too sure.
GXP3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #13
birbhorse
local eevee petter

Oh yeahhh, I know what's up with that. MP Special Stages crash for no good reason when any damage is taken. Didn't use to be that way, it's now causing special stage maps that are on the forums from 2.2 to crash now.

And "i taketh" takes 3 blue spheres away from the player, sooo maybe I shouldn't have that happen.

Next update I'll disable these two things from happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXP3000 View Post
This is a really fun thing to play around with in a server, but came across two issues. I ended up coming across a sigsegv caused by a pizza spawning in the MP Special Stages and apparently we somehow didn't have enough blue spheres in the stage, even though we collected all of them. It might've been caused by anti-superring, but I'm not too sure.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #14
Icezer

It seems that dying while the ghost effect is active makes you stay invisible. Not a huge issue but kinda obnoxious in some areas.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #15
Goldenhog
Wandering Protagonist

Cement Shoes is fucking shit and needs to either have its duration cut down a lot, have its chance of occurring reduced significantly or be removed. I understand that the fun of playing with luck is that you're not going to always get something good but Cement Shoes is nothing but infuriating. It basically forces you to do absolute jack for its duration or to plain suffer a slow death if it happens to happen in a dangerous position, like in front of a boss or over a bramble pit. Or over a bottomless pit, why not!

It sucks because I do like the idea of Chaos Edition and I do have fun with it but then the Cement Shoes, man. Even dying from the Instant Death effect feels more fair.
Goldenhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #16
birbhorse
local eevee petter

Another update has just been released!

The code's been rewritten a lot, to hopefully reduce any chance of lag that might be caused by this. A new effect has been added, "earthquake", guess what that does.

And some more rebalancing has happened, cement shoes lasts for 8 seconds now, and you have a little bit more movement control than before with it. It's also a lot less common now.

Another thing, instant death is gone :crabrave:

Finally, ghost has been fixed, if you respawned while having the effect on, you're no longer transparent upon respawning.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #17
barkley

My only complaint is it feels a little tame compared to 64 chaos mode? I noticed magnet almost never happened and a lot of the effects seem to just not really have any impact (color change for one). I'd love to see stuff that affects enemies/items/rings, turning them into some dumb bullshit like brak eggman and more stuff that fucks with player movement that isnt just removing options, like maybe one that makes all jumps shoot you to the ceiling.
barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #18
Magnemania

Is it possible to have a middle ground between Tiny and standard size? I really like the idea of tiny, but it often makes platforming impossible. Tends to result in waiting it out rather than doing some wonky platforming.

Have you considered a gravity reduction effect? I'm not sure how feasible that would be to program, but it'd be quite fun.
Magnemania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #19
Skye
meowth dat's wrong

The new Earthquake effect you added is an interesting feature.

However, in netplay, it can be really quite annoying as the earthquake applies for everyone on the level no matter how far away they are, leading to continuous earthshaking depending how RNG swings in our favor.

Is there anyway you can fix it to say the effect having a radius, or maybe have it be an effect we can toggle for netplay? For some people it makes the game almost unplayable.
Skye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #20
birbhorse
local eevee petter

Yeahhh that's a problem I noticed in recent netplay testing sadly. The SRB2 Wiki is conflicting on whether an epicenter and radius exists or not, I'll give it a try, if not, the effect just won't happen in net games for the next update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye View Post
The new Earthquake effect you added is an interesting feature.

However, in netplay, it can be really quite annoying as the earthquake applies for everyone on the level no matter how far away they are, leading to continuous earthshaking depending how RNG swings in our favor.

Is there anyway you can fix it to say the effect having a radius, or maybe have it be an effect we can toggle for netplay? For some people it makes the game almost unplayable.