SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Releases > Miscellaneous

Custom Sounds ~ SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive SFX Details »»
Custom Sounds ~ SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive SFX
Developer Last Online: Sep 2020

Version: SRB2 Rating: (1 votes - 3.00 average)
Released: 03-15-2020 Last Update: 08-13-2020 Favourites: 4
Characters SOCs

This mod is recommended to be enabled last (or right before custom gamedata), as it could be overridden by other mods with specific sound effects.

This mod adds new sound effects that either serve to have their own identities in SRB2, or replace those that seemed out of place in a game that mimics the classics. It also takes the advantage of replacing nearly the entirety of the only sound effects used in SRB2 with crisp, clean, and higher-quality sound effects ripped from several classic Sonic titles.

Spoiler: Changelog (v2.0):
Version 2
  • Added in missing Sonic 3&K sound effects.
  • Fixed certain sound volumes.
  • Removed useless CEZ sound effect.

Version 1
  • Tweaked character sound volumes.
  • Increased compatibility with mods.
  • Fixed sound assignments so that almost none play twice, except where necessary.
  • Almost all sounds used by SRB2 have been replaced with their own in higher quality (except its unique ones).
  • Specific sounds have been increased/decreased in volume, so that sounds no longer pierce the overall game volume or hide within it.
  • Sonic's thok sound uses the thok sound from the MegaMix ROM hack.
  • Tails's tails SFX use the sounds from Sonic 3 rather than Sonic Mania.
  • Amy, Fang, and Metal Sonic use CD SFX, respectively. (This includes jumping, rolling, spindashing, etc.)
  • Certain waterfall SFX use Sonic 1 2013's. Others use entirely new ones.
  • All environmental sounds have been replaced with more realistic ones.
  • Character action SFX have a variety of sounds rather than from Sonic 3 only.
  • The Attraction shield uses a FBZ sound rather than a water-skim sound.
  • Characters have individual sounds for different kinds of damage taking.
  • The vertically-spinning mace in CEZ makes a clasping sound when touched.
  • The THZ and DSZ bosses use custom sounds for different actions. These were made possible by a specific SOC.
  • Along with all of Brak Eggman's sounds, the laughter was cut in favor of an alarm sound.
  • Final boss rocket-fire sounds that couldn't be replaced by normal means, have been by another specific SOC.
  • Save select scroll SFX uses Mania's menu bleep.
  • Weapon change SFX uses Sonic 3's data select bleep.
  • Added sound from DSZ1.
  • All characters have victory sounds. This includes modded characters as well.
  • A portion of sounds are custom sounds as their originals replace other sounds; otherwise kept as default.

Whether this mod seems purposeful or ends up being a waste of time, I'll leave to you. (By the way, just pretend that the .gifs have sound. You can't really illustrate sound through .gifs and images.)

Download Now

File Type: pk3 CustomSounds-v2.pk3 (14.71 MB, 70 views)

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20001.gif
Views:	686
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	28177   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20002.gif
Views:	482
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	28178   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20000.gif
Views:	382
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	28179   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20000.png
Views:	572
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	28180  

Show Your Support

• This addon may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without the author's permission.

Comments
Old 03-18-2020   #2
Zipper
Killda
Judge

Welcome to Releases.ogg!
Old 03-19-2020   #3
Rumia1
Backseat Developer

There are few mods that I would consider essential to use in SRB2, but I believe this is one of them. I absolutely adore the sounds you've used here and the effort you've made is absolutely fantastic!

I will say that I feel a couple sounds do need some volume adjustments such as slightly raising the volume of the ERZ lasers and the DSZ3 boss's missile fire sound effect, and I do somewhat question the choice to use the Heavy Ninja freezing sound effect from Sonic Mania for losing a shield instead of the normal shield loss sound. I would also love to hear more custom sound effects instead of the more realistic water noises for the sake of consistency. Other than that I don't think there'll be a time when I don't boot up 2.2 without this mod loaded (except maybe when hosting but it's on the message board so it should be fine for people to download from here.)

This needs to be in 2.3.
Rumia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020   #4
PencilVoid
Circuit Enthusiast

These are some pretty cool sounds. Makes the game sounds much more Megadrive-y, and who doesn't love the Megadrive? The sound for bouncing on an Egg Guard's shield fits very well, and I like the transformation sound too.

I would say that the steam jets in THZ could be a bit louder, and the wood breaking sound could be a bit quieter. Also, I noticed a weird bug where the chains holding maces disappear if you touch them. See the attached gif. Also, I think it would be neat if the thok used the sound effect from Sonic Utopia, but the current one works fine.

Overall, this is a neat sound pack, and I wouldn't complain if it was used in 2.3.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20430.gif
Views:	98
Size:	4.84 MB
ID:	28360  
Discord: PencilVoid#4223; Twitter: @pencilvoid / @pencilvoid_art; Pillowfort: PencilVoid
PSO2 ID: 14909977; Username: PencilVoid

May I interest you in the Church of Audie?
PencilVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020   #5
carlrev
The living revolution

Version 2
I know it's been almost five months since its release and nobody cares about this lazy mod anymore, but I wanted to update it to reflect SRB2's current state.
  • Added in missing Sonic 3&K sound effects.
  • Fixed certain sound volumes.
  • Removed useless CEZ sound effect.

Last edited by carlrev; 08-13-2020 at 01:12 AM.
carlrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020   #6
Plume
Socially Awkward Artist

Pretty cool mod, honestly. Can't play SP without it anymore. ♪
Plume is offline   Reply With Quote