SRB2: Chaotic Edition

[Open Assets] SRB2: Chaotic Edition 2

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
It can go into releases, though I have had an instance of softlocking in NiGHTS mode: I grew Giant as I entered the capsule, I was prevented from feeding spheres into opening the capsule and was stuck spinning, and then an aggressive pizza killed me and I just stopped existing, and the timer wouldn't tick down. I have a feeling a lot of these effects wouldn't work in NiGHTS mode, so perhaps disable Chaos stuff for NiGHTS mode, at least for now?

I did try to make this more compatible with NiGHTs, I'll try to further refine it so effects like that just don't occur in it first, if it doesn't go according to plan, I'll just disable it entirely.
It can go into releases, though I have had an instance of softlocking in NiGHTS mode: I grew Giant as I entered the capsule, I was prevented from feeding spheres into opening the capsule and was stuck spinning, and then an aggressive pizza killed me and I just stopped existing, and the timer wouldn't tick down. I have a feeling a lot of these effects wouldn't work in NiGHTS mode, so perhaps disable Chaos stuff for NiGHTS mode, at least for now?

I'm surprised that a "Turn Super" and "Exit Super" effect wasn't included, I thought that would open up chances for more hilarity, other than that, this is REALLY fun and gave me a good laugh as I played!

The ability to turn super was actually in the draft plans for this mod, but I didn't implement it in the end due to how the Choosening system works for this, I'll think about it for maybe v1.2. Incidentally, "i taketh" removes your super form iirc, so there's that at least :p
I'm surprised that a "Turn Super" and "Exit Super" effect wasn't included, I thought that would open up chances for more hilarity, other than that, this is REALLY fun and gave me a good laugh as I played!

In other news...v1.1.1 is now out, it just tweaks some things and removes certain things from occurring in NiGHTs to prevent softlocks.

I really do love the concept behind this, it reminds me of the Reelism mod for base Doom.

Though if I were to offer any kind of suggestion for improvement, it would be to maybe look into expanding some more options for positive effects for the player as well. Chaos is fun and all, but there's nothing chaotic about being slammed with cement shoes and ability loss six times in a row, hah.

Regardless, I absolutely love what you've got going so far, and I only wish it the best.

I'll be thinkin bout more positive effects, I do know I need more in there! Problem is I dunno of much tbh lol. My current progress on v1.2 includes a system that prevents an effect from happening multiple times in a row already, so that's something at least!

I really do love the concept behind this, it reminds me of the Reelism mod for base Doom.

Though if I were to offer any kind of suggestion for improvement, it would be to maybe look into expanding some more options for positive effects for the player as well. Chaos is fun and all, but there's nothing chaotic about being slammed with cement shoes and ability loss six times in a row, hah.

Regardless, I absolutely love what you've got going so far, and I only wish it the best.

New update out, v1.2! In it brings a whole bunch of changes, most notably there's now a new system to prevent the same effect from happening twice in a row! In shellnut: When effect is removed, it can not be chosen again for 15-25 seconds.

Two new effects have been added, money bag and remove random effect. Money bag gives ya rings on a gradual basis for 4 seconds, and you can guess what remove random effect does. On top of all of this, a couple of the good effects have had their chance rates increased.

Enjoy!
(p.s: between you and me, if you enable "chaosdebugger", custom1 is set to give the player an effect immediately, it's pretty broken due to how the script is set up, but knock yourself out)

New update time once more! v1.3 is here, and with it comes a whole bunch of rebalancing.
The aggressive pizza is no longer an insta-kill, instead just going right through shields (and invulnerability if you're above 0 rings), money bag gives blue spheres in special stages, and magnet has been changed to work significantly differently. It's unfourtunately not as chaotic, but this is the price one must pay to rewrite to use P_LookForEnemies (give us a range option plz), and finally a new effect was added, ghost, which makes you go right through everything for 8 seconds.

And of course there is much more, check the changelog for more details!

Last edited:
This is a really fun thing to play around with in a server, but came across two issues. I ended up coming across a sigsegv caused by a pizza spawning in the MP Special Stages and apparently we somehow didn't have enough blue spheres in the stage, even though we collected all of them. It might've been caused by anti-superring, but I'm not too sure.

Oh yeahhh, I know what's up with that. MP Special Stages crash for no good reason when any damage is taken. Didn't use to be that way, it's now causing special stage maps that are on the forums from 2.2 to crash now.

And "i taketh" takes 3 blue spheres away from the player, sooo maybe I shouldn't have that happen.

Next update I'll disable these two things from happening.

This is a really fun thing to play around with in a server, but came across two issues. I ended up coming across a sigsegv caused by a pizza spawning in the MP Special Stages and apparently we somehow didn't have enough blue spheres in the stage, even though we collected all of them. It might've been caused by anti-superring, but I'm not too sure.

It seems that dying while the ghost effect is active makes you stay invisible. Not a huge issue but kinda obnoxious in some areas.

Cement Shoes is fucking shit and needs to either have its duration cut down a lot, have its chance of occurring reduced significantly or be removed. I understand that the fun of playing with luck is that you're not going to always get something good but Cement Shoes is nothing but infuriating. It basically forces you to do absolute jack for its duration or to plain suffer a slow death if it happens to happen in a dangerous position, like in front of a boss or over a bramble pit. Or over a bottomless pit, why not!

It sucks because I do like the idea of Chaos Edition and I do have fun with it but then the Cement Shoes, man. Even dying from the Instant Death effect feels more fair.

Another update has just been released!

The code's been rewritten a lot, to hopefully reduce any chance of lag that might be caused by this. A new effect has been added, "earthquake", guess what that does.

And some more rebalancing has happened, cement shoes lasts for 8 seconds now, and you have a little bit more movement control than before with it. It's also a lot less common now.

Another thing, instant death is gone :crabrave:

Finally, ghost has been fixed, if you respawned while having the effect on, you're no longer transparent upon respawning.

My only complaint is it feels a little tame compared to 64 chaos mode? I noticed magnet almost never happened and a lot of the effects seem to just not really have any impact (color change for one). I'd love to see stuff that affects enemies/items/rings, turning them into some dumb bullshit like brak eggman and more stuff that fucks with player movement that isnt just removing options, like maybe one that makes all jumps shoot you to the ceiling.

Is it possible to have a middle ground between Tiny and standard size? I really like the idea of tiny, but it often makes platforming impossible. Tends to result in waiting it out rather than doing some wonky platforming.

Have you considered a gravity reduction effect? I'm not sure how feasible that would be to program, but it'd be quite fun.

The new Earthquake effect you added is an interesting feature.

However, in netplay, it can be really quite annoying as the earthquake applies for everyone on the level no matter how far away they are, leading to continuous earthshaking depending how RNG swings in our favor.

Is there anyway you can fix it to say the effect having a radius, or maybe have it be an effect we can toggle for netplay? For some people it makes the game almost unplayable.

Yeahhh that's a problem I noticed in recent netplay testing sadly. The SRB2 Wiki is conflicting on whether an epicenter and radius exists or not, I'll give it a try, if not, the effect just won't happen in net games for the next update.

The new Earthquake effect you added is an interesting feature.

However, in netplay, it can be really quite annoying as the earthquake applies for everyone on the level no matter how far away they are, leading to continuous earthshaking depending how RNG swings in our favor.

Is there anyway you can fix it to say the effect having a radius, or maybe have it be an effect we can toggle for netplay? For some people it makes the game almost unplayable.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back