• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

SRB2: The Arcade Levels (W.I.P)

Nesmanx

Straight outta E1M1
srb20017.gif

This is the Arcade Levels, a set of tough levels that I've been working on for the past few months made to replicate the arcade experience.
I've already been showing this off in my SRB2 server, but I thought I might as well post a couple screenshots here to further spread the word.
So far I've got the first stage in progress, plus some miscellaneous stuff such as the title screen, SOCs, and lua. Rather than having acts and zones, the main campaign will feature 8 stages in total.

might as well show off stage 1 I guess.

This is stage 1: JAMMA City
Screenshot 2021-12-14 143935.png

A futuristic city run by a tech corporation which Eggman owns a controlling share of, giving him an influence over the citys legislation and law enforcement.
srb20044.png

Eggman uses this power to label Sonic and co. as criminals to get the cities police force to attack them and to just drag Sonics name and public image through the mud.

srb20048.png

srb20050.png

srb20051.png

srb20053.png

I wonder if anyone can get this reference?
srb20027.gif

Oh yea there's also going to loads of easter eggs and references to obscure arcade games that nobody but me will get. In fact the level name itself is a reference!

That's it for now. I'll maybe post updates as the project progresses. The Arcade Levels will most likely take a good few months to complete. But hopefully I'm able to get it done.
Post automatically merged:

Untextured car models strike your fancy?
Screenshot 2021-12-14 173941.png

Last edited:
This looks very interesting, I especially love how those cars look. If I may suggest two things, I think it'd fit the mood better to be at night time rather than daytime. That, and maybe the scrolling text should scroll from right to left rather than left to right. It makes reading the text way more natural, since you'd be able to read the phrase in the correct order.

This looks very interesting, I especially love how those cars look. If I may suggest two things, I think it'd fit the mood better to be at night time rather than daytime. That, and maybe the scrolling text should scroll from right to left rather than left to right. It makes reading the text way more natural, since you'd be able to read the phrase in the correct order.
Thanks! I like the idea of the level taking place at night, however I've actually gotten too far into development of the first level to really change course, I'm already working on the textures and models for the last segment (See the pic of the cars.)

sonic adventure 2 i think? maybe?
Nope! This is a reference to the Arcade game Battle Garegga, developed by Raizing (now known as Eighting,) and released into arcades in 1996.
1639598600332.png

What the scrolling text is referencing is the name of the track that plays during the first level, "Fly to the Leaden Sky."

I said the Arcade Levels would be full of references to obscure arcade games after all.

Last edited:
I think you should scroll your news ticker in the same direction it's meant to be read in. To the left.

Someone already beat you to the punch with that, and yes it has been fixed.

Oh and heres an updated title screen.
srb20028.gif

The color of the scrolling floor is randomized.

This looks very high quality! Can't wait to try this out when it comes out. Would it be possible for the signs with the characters on them to display the character you're playing as' wait/standing frames? Would be a neat detail

Thanks for the suggestion. While the idea sounds neat, but what the wanted signs are trying to convey is that Sonic and the freedom fighters have been labeled as criminals by the cities police force. Having the wanted signs change depending on the player character may make it appear as only THAT character was being targeted, instead of the entire group.

While it's doable, I think it might mess with the stages lore and the message the signs are trying to convey, neat idea tho!

Ka-chow.
Screenshot 2021-12-16 102309.png

More cars.

srb20030.gif

Imagine you're driving to work and then some 15 year-old twat/fugitive starts jumping on your car.

Last edited:
Man loved testing this out on first hand, the music was a banger and as much as i couldnt get very far into the stage it was awesome, i loved it hope you do more testing with the community or even with me!

hey thanks man! I'll definitely get back to hosting with this when I can. (or when I feel like it XD)

So I'm finally back modding for you! If you know the words you can join in too! Put your hands together, if you want to clap, as I take you through this mod update. HUH!

Heya folks, its been a couple minutes, hasn't it? I went out for the holidays but now I'm back and I'm ready to do the things.

So lets cut to the chase. If you've been reading the previous updates, you'll know that I'm working on stage 1, JAMMA City. Well I'm happy to say that JAMMA City is nearly complete! All thats left is to add in the last section, the boss, and to make general improvements. I would of been able to get the last segment done, if I didn't have some run-ins with SRB2/Doom's trademark modding bullshit.
srb20058.png

Oh yea I should probably mention the level structure. Instead of having 3 maps per zone: 2 regular levels, and 1 boss fight. I'm just going to have 1 act per zone, with the boss fight taking place at the end of the level. This is to have a smooth transition into the boss fight and to add a bit more challenge.

Now lets get into the story of the Arcade levels...the plot I mean.
Now I haven't really gotten it set in stone yet, but I'm thinking that maybe one of Eggmans creations goes rouge one day and attempts to eradicate all humans and mobians (including Eggman!) in an attempt to "save the planet." Yea that's just sort of a basic idea of what the story's gonna be, but I'll be sure to expand upon it later.

Now onto the character roster. I'm definitely gonna get some backlash for this but for the Arcade Levels, I'm basically going to be removing every other character except Sonic and Metal Sonic. Why? Well you know how every vanilla character (except Sonic) is downright OP and break the stages in two, such as Tails in Arid Canyon and Aerial Garden? Well since this mod is meant to replicate the challenge and feel of an arcade game, those game breaking abilities will have to go! Originally, I was just going to nerf their abilities, but while I was away for the J man's birthday, I thought to myself "You know what, fuck it. I'll just get rid of them entirely!" Well "remove" is kinda of a loose term here, I'll most likely just make them unobtainable through normal gameplay, and even then I'll add in a script that prevents progression if some smartass switches to them through devmode. And if you're wondering why I'm keeping Metal Sonic, well it's because he's going to be integral to the story. Maybe before that rouge robot turned against Eggman, it could have been comrades with Metal Sonic.

And as for what's after JAMMA City, I'm thinking that the 2nd stage could be a homage to the Clock Tower stage from Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (AKA one of the greatest video games known to man.)
409145-marvel-vs-capcom-2-xbox-360-screenshot-clock-tower-stage-at.jpg

/\
|
yea it's gonna look like that.

Sooo yea that's all I got for now. Stay tuned for more!

That's yashichi from megaman 9 & 10
Close! But no cigar! You did get the name right and yes it does show up in Megaman games, but that's not it's origin!

The Yashichi actually originates from the arcade game Vulgus, developed by Capcom and released in 1984, which also has the honor of being the first game Capcom ever developed.
vulgus.jpg

In Vulgus, the Yashichi was simply an enemy, but would later go on to make cameo appearances in future Capcom games.
yashichi origin.png

Close! But no cigar! You did get the name right and yes it does show up in Megaman games, but that's not it's origin!

The Yashichi actually originates from the arcade game Vulgus, developed by Capcom and released in 1984, which also has the honor of being the first game Capcom ever developed.
View attachment 58733
In Vulgus, the Yashichi was simply an enemy, but would later go on to make cameo appearances in future Capcom games.
View attachment 58734

Wooooooow
This is a serious "The More You Know" moment

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back