SRB2: Chaotic Edition

[Open Assets] SRB2: Chaotic Edition 5.0

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Another progress update! Things are starting to slow down a bit on my end, as... yeah this has been a gigantic undertaking. I'm impressed with what I've been able to do, but I'm starting to get to the point where I'm a lil worried this might not live up to my initial ambitions. But, it's better to just get this done and hope people will like this regardless!

srb20585.gif

Anywho, new thing on the board here! For Metal's Mayhem specifically, the Pong arcade machine will have a random chance to spawn rings in the arena! Collecting them will net you a buncha rings for you to get upgrades with! Specifically, the starting rings will give you 5 per ring, then for every defeat on the bot you get, the rings will respawn, with the initial respawned batch awarding 3 rings, and any after that giving you 1. So, the best strategy is to clear out the board first, then win against the bot!

srb20586.gif

You'll know this is available when the arcade machine has a flashing exclamation mark! Doing this faciliated making a whole system for that, so, maybe other NPCs will have special events available to them, I'll have to contemplate that.

Another thing I've gotten done is adding the boss levels! I've settled on beating 3 levels yields a boss level, in which beating it will earn you a "Boss Token"! What do you do with said boss tokens? Well...

srb20548.png

You get permanent upgrades, in the form of badges! You can equip one of these badges to help you throughout the run! The sash upgrade, of course, will allow you to equip up to 3 instead! As you may notice, a couple of the badges also say that you can not unequip them, since they award you something upon equipping. I'm honestly struggling a bit to think of other badges to slap into here, I've actually removed one just today since I wasn't liking how it changed the behavior of the chaos effects!

I do want a bunch of badges in here, to help facilitate replay value. So, I'll have to brainstorm a buncha more badges to vary up the gameplay.

For more technical stuff, I've moved all of the global mobj hooks off into their own separate thing, which means this mod should be more optimized. I know things like the "Time Stop" global effect caused lag, so, hopefully this will alleviate that! This'll also make this work for future SRB2 versions... or at least, lessen the load needed to port this to that :P And I've also been working a lot on finding and squashing bugs, just today I've been documenting quite a few nasty bugs that'll need special attention to fix.

As for future plans, I might plan on releasing a playtest version of this update! I can't find all the bugs on my own, and I'm sure a lot of people on here would be eager to try this out a bit early, so... I might release a playtest sometime early April. No guarantees though, I might change my mind on this! Though it's more likely than not to happen, especially as I'll want feedback on how the gameplay loop is, since that's extremely critical... and being the developer who playtests my own mod a lot, I'm obviously biased as to how this plays. Game design is tough!

And I do foresee the April deadline being achievable, though that said I might want to move some planned features to a future update to this. An update to this update, if you will. I hope I can get most of everything done, but some priorities on features will have to start going into effect very soon if I want this released in a playable state!

That's it for now, I hope to get this in y'alls grubby hands soon, since this has been really fun to work on, and I'm really proud of the work I've put into all of this. Many years of work have accumulated into this update, making a whole game mode that is pretty unique, I'd say.
 
EeveeEuphoria updated SRB2: Chaotic Edition with a new update entry:

(PUBLIC PLAYTEST BUILD) Version 5.0 - Metal's Mayhem

Hey YOU! Yeah YOU! Did you want to test out the upcoming update to SRB2: Chaotic Edition? Well guess what? You can now! This contains all the changes I've been describing thus far, and more!

You may be wondering why I've posted on this date in particular. Is it an April Fools joke? Is this the real deal? Well, you'll just have to find out yourself! Check it out here: https://codeberg.org/EeveeEuphoria/srb2-ce/releases/tag/5.0-PLAYTEST1

...okay but actually, this isn't an...

Read the rest of this update entry...
 
i can't talk with knuckles, tails and metal sonic also some parts of the progress doesn't save (my version of srb2 is 2.2.13 and i play in phone) but i understand thats is only a playtest
...well there's your problem, this doesn't work on 2.2.13. I've only tested this in the latest SRB2 version, v2.2.15, which I assume is not on Android yet. Although I previously made SRB2:CE work on more than just the latest version, I haven't been aiming for that on this yet, however, I'll throw up an issue for it any ways on my git repo to see if I can work on it some time. No guarantees this update will launch with support for older versions, I use a lot of the modern features like alpha transparency in mobjs and whatnot.
 
Update time! In case you missed it, or you did believe it to be an April Fools joke, I did release a playtest of this! ...haven't gotten much feedback on it like I anticipated, but oh well. I can only hope that means "no news is good news" or whatever :P

srb20595.gif


Anyways, I've been working on tying this all up! The clock tower's room is now finally accessible after all this time, for the special stages that you can do in Metal's Mayhem!

srb20592.gif

And as you may have noticed from that GIF, doors are now animated! Just felt right to have, after all this time.

For other changes, you can now press the spin button to exit all NPC dialogue! In fact, that's the only way to end conversations now, since the dialogue system has seen an entire revamp. You're now able to view all of their dialogue without it skipping around, and you can continuously talk to them if you just wanna view all their dialogue.

Outside of all of that... it's just been a lot of bug-squashin' and polishing happening here, I've been focused really hard on getting this all wrapped up neatly. Still need to work on quite a few graphics that are still currently placeholders, but I'd say this mod is 95% done functionality-wise, and 80% done polish-wise. We're getting close to the finish line here, and I'm very proud of the work I've done on this.

I'm now also planning for minor stuff to include in 5.1 too, it won't be anything huge since... frankly this update has taken up a lot of my time, and I've been wanting to move on to other projects for quite a bit. But, once 5.0's out, 5.1 will come some time after to throw in some nice stuff. I did previously say I'd like 2.2.13 to be supported, so, I'll try to aim for that in 5.1... but considering how many features I use from 2.2.14/15, that might be tough.

Anyways, I still don't have an exact date down for this, but I am most definitely releasing all of this sometime this month, so keep your eyes peeled! This is a gigantic update, and might be the last major update this mod receives for a good long while, unless I think of something new. This encompasses basically everything I've wanted from the start of working on the Chaos City update. I mean heck, the changelog itself is a little over 100 lines! That's a lotta stuff I've changed!
 
Discovered issues:
"CRITICAL ERROR" is a selectable permanent effect, even though the effect can be easily removed.
"Fake Death" shows the permanent effect timer after "dying".
 
Just a lil update, I'm very, very close to finally wrapping this up! I expect this to be released either over the weekend, or some time next week! Been working on the trailer for this on-and-off, but I'll focus on wrapping that up to set up a YouTube premiere :p

I'll probably be on another hiatus from SRB2 modding for awhile after this, assuming no hideously game-breaking bug pops up that I haven't found myself. Or v2.2.16 comes out and ruins everything, I think I might have to update this mod to account for 2.2.16 in some way anyways, but that's a future me problem.

Regardless! It's been very fun working on this, and I'm very eager to get this finished and in y'alls hands real soon.
 
Hey, so... this has actually been done for a lil while now, but I've just been waiting for approval from the judges in the SRB2 discord to have my trailer get posted! Yeaaaah.

srb20602.gif
srb20600.gif

...but because of that wait, I've decided to work a bit more on stuff! There's now new modes in pong! Not only that, but the bot's behaviors have changed! First one is "Hockey", where the ball bounces off the walls, and you gotta get it in the goal! The second one is "Soccer", where each player has a paddle on each side now! And not shown is the 3rd variant of pong, "Handball", where you have to bounce a fast moving ball against the left wall. These will have a small chance of appearing in the chaos effect, and you can unlock them for the arcade, as clearly shown by the GIFs :p

The random junk you see on the bot paddles are actually just debug stuff, so, ignore them lol. It's the things that I've changed up in the bot's behaviors, just visualized for me to tweak the values.

I've also had more time to polish up things before the main release, so, less bug fixes needed for the upcoming v5.1! And speaking of, there are indeed plans for that, mainly to support earlier versions than SRB2 v2.2.15 (14 might work?), since that's what this mod was made on. I also had plans for even more chaos effects, but I shelved them temporarily to focus on polishing.

So... yeah! Just waiting on the SRB2 discord to approve my trailer, and then I'll set the trailer up as a premiere to the next day! I'd have more to show that I haven't actually posted about here, but I'd rather y'all see that in-game :p
 
Okay I'll be real, I don't want to bother the judges too much (I don't like pushing people who do thankless jobs lol), but I'm also out of patience for waiting for them to get back on the trailer, so... I'm dropping the update this Thursday!

Check out the trailer here, it'll be a premeire:

Eager for this to get in y'alls hands, as I've said before! ...and eager to find all the problems wrong with this, since there's doubtless a lot of bugs I've missed.
 
EeveeEuphoria updated SRB2: Chaotic Edition with a new update entry:

Version 5.0 - Metal's Mayhem

SRB2: CE v5 is now here, and this is the biggest update by far to the mod! A brand new game mode has been added, everything's been rewritten from scratch (again), and there's a bunch of changes, new effects/cards, and much, much more!

This changelog is very huge, and consists of quite a few months worth of work.

This may be the last major update I make for SRB2:CE, but they've said that about Terraria a dozen times, so time will tell.


GENERAL...

Read the rest of this update entry...
 
You should try playing the mod with the Super Sonic mod, the one made by GreenKnight9000. It's so great, that if you run out of rings, you'll continuously die until you run out of lives and hit a game over. Combo that up with the 6 to 9 different ways your rings can be taken away that the game will conveniently throw at you and it'll be a very fun experience as Super Sonic.
 

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back
Top