N64 Mario

N64 Mario V3.3

We're not quite done with Mario just yet. V1.2 has been in development for about a week. We're working on fixing some of Mario's issues.
Here's a preview of what we've been doing for V1.2.
srb20058.gif

We're not quite done with Mario just yet. V1.2 has been in development for about a week. We're working on fixing some of Mario's issues.
Here's a preview of what we've been doing for V1.2.
srb20058.gif
Faster swimming? YES please!!!

Rueven updated N64 Mario with a new update entry:

Wall Kicks Will Work

• Wall Kicks are added.
  • Swimming is remapped back to Jump with the Swim Cancel left in Custom 1, so Mario can no longer Lunge Jump underwater.
  • Swimming speed is buffed and Drill now stacks.
  • Superman glitch was both fixed and made official. Instructions in Mod Overview.
  • Lunge Jump is now more steerable and is way less buggy overall.
  • Proper XMomentum and ChrispyTricks support is added.
  • Run and Ground Pound land animations are updated.
  • Mario can no longer roll...

Read the rest of this update entry...

can you change the s_skin name of mario to n64 mario? its going to be confusing when you add a bot.

This update is absolutely fantastic! Thank you for adding CrossMomentum Support! It's a small addition, but I like it a lot!
Speaking of which, I think Hyper Metal Mario's "Hyper Ability" should be perhaps a simple shockwave whenever he groundpounds (kinda like Super Knuckles' landing, but much stronger)

Hmmm would there be KH Blast support? It's because of I keep seeing certain image in my head that consists of Mario sitting on the stairs, face palming himself as the low hp emotion. Anyways this mod is very awesome! And If in another scenario you were to add a 64 HP bar(which I know you don't want to, I suggest having a command to turn it on and off.

Excellent update. I still wish he had the triple jump though, but that's probably my bias since I think almost every Mario game should have it in general. Again, if you do want to see how to implement it, Look at "Blario", or this specific character who is essentially the same thing but with different sprites.

Hope you can give your stance on the triple jump at least, I can understand the lack of the long jump and sideflip for sure. But I really don't see why the triple jump can't be added aside from LUA complications, I just know Blario also has a landing sound for every jump he performs, similar to N64 Mario.

Again, I can't force anything. It's your mod after all. I'd just like to hear a statement, because I'm quite tempted to cancel my plans for my own Mario considering the LUA coded abilities here being phenomenal. I just think it's a point off being perfect for the lack of his signature move for the 3D games. (barring 3D Land and 3D World, which are kind of the black sheeps)

Excellent update. I still wish he had the triple jump though, but that's probably my bias since I think almost every Mario game should have it in general. Again, if you do want to see how to implement it, Look at "Blario", or this specific character who is essentially the same thing but with different sprites.

Hope you can give your stance on the triple jump at least, I can understand the lack of the long jump and sideflip for sure. But I really don't see why the triple jump can't be added aside from LUA complications, I just know Blario also has a landing sound for every jump he performs, similar to N64 Mario.

Again, I can't force anything. It's your mod after all. I'd just like to hear a statement, because I'm quite tempted to cancel my plans for my own Mario considering the LUA coded abilities here being phenomenal. I just think it's a point off being perfect for the lack of his signature move for the 3D games. (barring 3D Land and 3D World, which are kind of the black sheeps)
The Triple Jump works in the 3D Mario games because of how slow Mario is in those games and the fact that their levels are designed around the Triple Jump. SRB2, however, isn't designed around it. In fact, SRB2 is designed around characters with an extremely low jump height in comparison to even 3D Land.

The Triple Jump's main purpose is already fulfilled by the Ground Pound Jump alone. Even if it isn't redundant, Mario jumps higher the faster he moves, so we either have to make the Triple Jump useless or overpowered.

Then there's the actual main reason why it hasn't been included: adding it would just not make a substantial enough change to Mario's gameplay. In fact, with the Wall Kick, Lunge Jump, and Ground Pound Jump, Mario has more than enough moves that aid his verticality. For horizontal movement, just look at the Super Roll. The Triple Jump would just look pretty. It's iconic, yes, but I didn't think it was worth the effort to make a move that wouldn't add much to Mario's gameplay, especially considering that Mario has way better options in SRB2 that make the Triple Jump look like Mario's normal jump in SM64.

It wasn't added not because it would be hard to implement, but because it would be game-breaking at worst and redundant at best.
Post automatically merged:

I have nothing against the Triple Jump at all. It's just that I don't think Mario needs it in a Sonic game with a completely different design philosophy from SM64. Since I want N64 Mario to follow that philosophy (which also includes making characters just another Sonic with their own unique spin when boiled down to their core), the Triple Jump was one of the first moves to hit the cutting room floor.

Last edited:
What if n64 mario had an entirely cosmetic triple jump? IIRC, in 3d land/world, Mario would actually have some minor "triple jump", where every third jump would have him change which fist/leg is up, for example. I remember seeing another game that had a cosmetic triple jump, but wasn't a Mario game. I can't remember much about it, except I see it in an intro for xbox game studios for another game that I play.

What if n64 mario had an entirely cosmetic triple jump? IIRC, in 3d land/world, Mario would actually have some minor "triple jump", where every third jump would have him change which fist/leg is up, for example. I remember seeing another game that had a cosmetic triple jump, but wasn't a Mario game. I can't remember much about it, except I see it in an intro for xbox game studios for another game that I play.
This could also double as an indicator as to whether your getting your consecutive jumps well enough to not lose speed when lunge jumping on long stretches.

I really appreciate the statement you gave, and I can respect it a ton. Though I don't remember if Mario gained height depending on his speed in the 3D games at all unless he was sliding down a slope, so I personally would have sacrificed the runjump for the Triple Jump, but again: This is your mod. And I'm happy to see an official reasoning behind it.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back