Legacy Palettes - A Robo Blast From the Past!

[Open Assets] Legacy Palettes - A Robo Blast From the Past! v2

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

EveDoesStuff

Big ol Dingus
DISCLAIMER: This by no means is not a perfect mod, so do not expect the skincolors to be 100% accurate. And, just to get this out of the way, this does not change 2.2's palette to previous versions.
Got it? Good.

As time goes on, skincolors are dropped and lost, trapped forever in the previous versions of SRB2. Though they have been archived on websites (well, most of them at least), why not bring them back?
So, I took it upon myself to recreate each and every palette from previous versions of SRB2. (Excluding greens, sorry. They're mostly the same.) This includes versions:
  • Kart (As of 1.3)
  • Legacy (As of 2.1.25)
  • "Ancient" (As of 1.09.4)
WlfSioG.gif

While some of these colors might look the same, taking a moment to study them will reveal that they are not the exact same thing. It really goes to show how much time has passed since the original 1.0 version of the game, as the colors have grown to be increasingly more vibrant and brilliant. Here's a demonstration of it, with the classic Sonic picture we all know and love.
This is with the purple palette, going left from right with 2.2, Kart, Legacy and Ancient.
jzuJ6ej.png

These skincolors are completely free to use for those developing character mods and whatnot. Considering that there are over 100 palettes for you to choose from, you're sure to find one that would satisfy your needs. I even prepared a bit of a cheat sheet for this, each color lined up with it's corresponding green value. It's best to refer to this since the original sheets for each of the colors will no longer work; The sheets that came before that used older versions of the SRB2 palette.
gvoZKzT.png

This took a long while to make, and I'm glad that I finally finished it. These are nowhere near perfect, so if anyone wants to toss their hat into the ring, go for it. The ancient palettes especially will need adjustments as well; Skincolors before 2.0 are completely undocumented and require diving into the hardcode in order to actually get their true colors. Feel free to message me on Discord if you have anything to chip in. (I... Barely check the MB, so yeah.)
To set a specific skincolor via commands, surround the desired palette around quotations. EX: "Kart White"
Check out the palettes here in action!
Ancient White:
DDkD78Z.gif

Kart Royal:
G3ll9Fr.gif

I hope you have as much fun using these as I did making them!
h7iMnAy.gif

BIG THANKS TO:
  • The Kart Krew - Responsible for making the Kart palettes.
  • The archives on srb2.org - This helped me actually be able to see the v1.09.4 colors for the first time. Albeit crusty, this was charming and I'm glad they archived the history of this game.
  • SuperJustinBros - I originally used his Kart skincolors sheet for making this mod! It was super useful. Not only that, but he did hint to me about the older versions of SRB2 having the original Doom palette...
  • Aluigi - For yelling at me for getting palettes wrong. It helped me to be real accurate.
  • Lightdasher, DirkTheHusky, others - I may or may have not used their mods in a netgame testing this out. Oopsie.
  • Wardogthelasthero - For hosting said netgame! Eventually I'll be able to host my own.
  • Finally, YOU - For checking this post out!

Changelog:
v1.0
  • Was supposed to be the intended release.
  • Kart palettes are finished!
v1.1
  • Legacy palettes are finished!
v1.2
  • Aluigi yelled at me for getting Kart Byzantium wrong. It helped.
v1.09.4
  • Get the reference?
  • Ancient palettes were added! Though, they admittedly still need more work.
Known Issues:
  • In SRB2Persona, the colors are not added on the Player Setup page. Use commands to set your color. Scroll up for an example.
Planned Updates:
  • Add in super colors both from Kart and Legacy SRB2.
  • Include colors from old versions of KartZ, "Fool" colors.

Attachments

• L_LegacyPalettes-v1.09.4.lua
    43.1 KB · Views: 429
Last edited:
Steel Blue just brings back so much nostalgia, I'm so glad all these colors are back in their full glory. Thanks for your hard work!

Oh man that's too many colors for me, it's enough colors for the entire family.

Well we're one step closer towards recreating SRB2 version 2.1 on SRB2 version 2.2 y'all so keep it up.

EveDoesStuff updated Legacy Palettes - A Robo Blast From the Past! with a new update entry:

Legacy Palettes - A Blast from the Past!

Alright, V2's available for the MB. An update will be made in the coming days that includes older super colors in Kart 1.3 and SRB2 2.0.
This version actually took way longer to make, since I had to figure out how to mod KartZ and V1. Luckily, there were some wads of older mods floating around, and I was able to change the files to, well, see the palettes in full detail. While this wouldn't have been necessary, I HAD to do it because the colors were not documented by any sources. (Well...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back