Halfpipe Utilities

[Open Assets] Halfpipe Utilities v1.2.2

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

kaldrum

kaldrum submitted a new resource:

Halfpipe Utilities - Wall running and Ceiling running!

Halfpipes are already cool, but what if we made them cooler?
Introducing...

Wall Run and Ceiling Run!
View attachment 71448

These two scripts, which can be downloaded either together or separately, add various new functionality relating to slopes and halfpipes to SRB2; namely wall running and ceiling running! Together, these two scripts can allow mapmakers to create functioning physics based loops!

To wall run, simply run up a halfpipe and hold forward...

Read more about this resource...

Strangely, I can't seem to get ceiling running working at all. I tried using utiities, I tried loading both wads separately, but neither function. Wall running works, but ceiling running just will not happen. Am I missing something here?

srb20272.gif

Strangely, I can't seem to get ceiling running working at all. I tried using utiities, I tried loading both wads separately, but neither function. Wall running works, but ceiling running just will not happen. Am I missing something here?

View attachment 71597
Ok, so I should have made this more clear, but the test map already comes with the scripts loaded, the wads are separate if you want to attach them to your level. I can change the post a bit to reflect that. I'm pretty sure that's why it's not working, because the wall running should not give you that much momentum and only does if wallrun is loaded twice. Also side note but while this was being reviewed, I worked a bit more on the mod and fixed some of the bugs with both the map and the script itself, so if I could send in that, it could probably fix some other issues that I mentioned in the post.

kaldrum updated Halfpipe Utilities with a new update entry:

Version 1.0.1 hotfix

Fixes various bugs with both the script as well as the test map geometry.

Wall Run:
  • Both manual and automatic playstyles no longer have issues with falling out of loops, the same direction can be held throughout and the player will not fall off or suddenly change direction.
  • Wall running now reverses inputs with the camera; if running towards the camera, you can continue running that direction to climb the wall instead of instantly descending as it did previously.
  • Cannot run...

Read the rest of this update entry...

this would continue forever if there was infinite room for me to veer slightly off to the side, as my angle would make me do:

this is a promising mod, and I look forwards to its issues getting fixed

This mod is a real game changer for SRB2 modding (and gameplay) in general, and I'm so glad that out of all the wall-run mods being developed one is finally released.

I did find two issues playing around with it though (these are the only non-visual issues I could find):
1: When gravity is reversed in the ceiling run state, slope effect is the same as it would be in reverse gravity, instead of being reversed as well to match the surrounding stage gravity. You can see this in the above post's gif.
2: The player-state doesn't go from wall-roll to regular roll when exiting the wall. You have to set it back by holding or pressing spin.

any recommended zones I should try out?
There's a few halfpipes in the base game, like in DSZ2 and ACZ1, but no usable loops that I know of. I think that the main place this would be used is in new maps where level makers decide to implement it.

There's a few halfpipes in the base game, like in DSZ2 and ACZ1, but no usable loops that I know of. I think that the main place this would be used is in new maps where level makers decide to implement it.
I have a suggestion, could you add a new property to the slopes to allow characters to preserve their wall running state after jumping off a wall?
My idea is that you would be able to jump from one wall to another while still being able to wall run.

This would make wall running less limited in the vanilla game.

Not sure I will be using this for loops, but this could be quite useful for my quarter pipes.

Version 1.1.0 - 2d mode support, ceiling run physics rework

2D mode support! Wall running, without lateral wall movement, and Ceiling running has been implemented, now you can make loops in both of SRB2's dimensions! (you gotta figure out how to enter and exit though, maybe do it like the classics?)

Ceiling run physics rework: Now, when in the ceiling run state, slopes that increase your z-position (in normal gravity) will slow you down. As well as that, slopes that decrease your z-position will now speed you up. This should make the slope physics...

Why doesn't this work in test? (I haven't tried it anywhere else, but I definitely know its not working.)
Not entirely sure how to help with this, from what I've tested everything works fine. As far as I can tell, if you're able to access the test maps, the script should always be loaded. Could you be a bit more specific with your problem?

Not entirely sure how to help with this, from what I've tested everything works fine. As far as I can tell, if you're able to access the test maps, the script should always be loaded. Could you be a bit more specific with your problem?
My problem is I load the was or pk3 (I don't remember what it is Xd) and I make one of those ramps into a wall. But, I don't seem to climb it in test mode and it acts as if I never loaded the file. If it has something to do with the level header, I haven't figured that one out yet and I'll have to put this mod on hold :(.

My problem is I load the was or pk3 (I don't remember what it is Xd) and I make one of those ramps into a wall. But, I don't seem to climb it in test mode and it acts as if I never loaded the file. If it has something to do with the level header, I haven't figured that one out yet and I'll have to put this mod on hold :(.
Did you add the halfpipe utilities wad to the resources for the map you're working on? It should automatically load in testing mode as long as you make sure it's there.

Screenshot 2022-07-10 191901.png

You can add it to your map here under map options (F2). Unless you want multiple walljumps, nothing should need to be done in the header file. Sorry if you already did this, but this is all it seems to take for it to work for me.

Did you add the halfpipe utilities wad to the resources for the map you're working on? It should automatically load in testing mode as long as you make sure it's there.

View attachment 72611

You can add it to your map here under map options (F2). Unless you want multiple walljumps, nothing should need to be done in the header file. Sorry if you already did this, but this is all it seems to take for it to work for me.
Im pretty sure I did, but maybe it didnt apply for some reason? I'll check again, thanks for the help!

big QOL update: everything works better

No actual new features, sorta, but lots of bugfixes and improvements!
  • Wallrunning is way more consistent; far less momentum loss, consistently, and walljumps should be possible at any point in the wallrun process - no more delays for a few frames.
  • Fixed a dumb bug where you had to have some kind of forward movement to strafe on walls. was really annoying on K&M
  • (maybe) resolved issues with camera and movement control when flipping 180 degrees on a ceilingrun:
    • If...

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back