Halfpipe Utilities

[Open Assets] Halfpipe Utilities v1.2.2

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
I have no clue how to use this is mappacks, do I take the assets from the addon and put them in separately in different folders or just put the WAD directly in the PK3? Or do I gotta do something else?
the pk3 contains the files that you need to make the asset work, so look its insides using slade and take them and put them inside your own pk3 (preferably since wad sucks)

I have no clue how to use this is mappacks, do I take the assets from the addon and put them in separately in different folders or just put the WAD directly in the PK3? Or do I gotta do something else?
Just put the wad in the pk3 and add the map header. It should autoload. You can also move the assets separately but the wad version of the file is meant to avoid that.

Ignore this sorry

Last edited:
Just put the wad in the pk3 and add the map header. It should autoload. You can also move the assets separately but the wad version of the file is meant to avoid that.
Do I just insert it straight into the PK3 or should I put it in the Lua folder or something similar?

Do I just insert it straight into the PK3 or should I put it in the Lua folder or something similar?
Ok, ignore what I said earlier, just tested it and it doesn't work, sorry. Instead, what you should do is either load the wad entirely separately to the map itself, load two files (which might be annoying), or do what the previous comment said. Use the pk3 that's given and then remove the map included and replace it with your own. If I had to guess, I think the only wad loading supported by pk3s is in the form of maps, sorry for the confusion.

Basically switch out the contents of the Maps and SOC folders for your own map and level header. Leave the other contents the same.

Ok, ignore what I said earlier, just tested it and it doesn't work, sorry. Instead, what you should do is either load the wad entirely separately to the map itself, load two files (which might be annoying), or do what the previous comment said. Use the pk3 that's given and then remove the map included and replace it with your own. If I had to guess, I think the only wad loading supported by pk3s is in the form of maps, sorry for the confusion.
Ok so are the things related to Skins and Sprites needed or just the LUA?

Ok so are the things related to Skins and Sprites needed or just the LUA?
The lua is the only thing that actually does stuff, the skins are needed if you want models with the custom animation to look different. Theres no harm in including it, and no reason to remove it, but you definitely don't have to. I don't think it'll error without it, though I would have to check.

How do i make loops?
srb20070.gif
1681922629083.png

To my knowledge, you need at least two angles on your slope to your wall. Besides that the wall is so small there's no point to wall running.
As for loops, you need to find a way to make the player move backwards mid-loop or you'll just end up flying off.
Thanks

thanks for the insight! When testing stuff like xmomentum I definitely noticed this but I kinda assumed it was just an inevitability of the way ground detection works and didn't bother working around it. I'll probably revisit this relatively soon and rework some of the detection mechanisms to be more friendly with higher speeds with your suggestions in mind. I do still want the slope requirement for starting wall running, so I'll have to look into the way the pointinsector function works.
Also not sure if I like the idea of linedef tags, level header has already seemed kinda confusing for some but complicating it more with tag combinations seems like it would make it even harder. Plus, I don't really want the few people that have been developing maps with this so far to have to retag all their walls in order to use a new wall/slope detection mechanism and I like the idea of it being somewhat global as long as it's enabled.

Regardless, thanks for all the suggestions! When I work on this again I'll definitely keep them at the forefront of any changes I made.
Since the player movement on slopes is predictable, maybe you could just make it dependent on the player movement vector projected onto the wall being above a certain magnitude?

I do think there should be some kind of mechanic for regularly running up a slope, as with many slopes (especially ones in maps without it in mind but still having ramps) if you run up them you won't get very far, meaning you would need to roll up them to get up the ramp and cling to the wall it would be attached to. It just kinda feels wrong when you need to roll up a ramp/slope to get to the wall to go up said wall when the addon has "wallRUN" in its name.

Since the player movement on slopes is predictable, maybe you could just make it dependent on the player movement vector projected onto the wall being above a certain magnitude?
I recently figured out a (somewhat convoluted) fix for the wall blocking that seems like it'll work properly, though it is still in the bugtesting phase. Mainly just saying this to let you and other people know that I am still working on this and should have something out in the hopefully not so distant future.
I do think there should be some kind of mechanic for regularly running up a slope, as with many slopes (especially ones in maps without it in mind but still having ramps) if you run up them you won't get very far, meaning you would need to roll up them to get up the ramp and cling to the wall it would be attached to. It just kinda feels wrong when you need to roll up a ramp/slope to get to the wall to go up said wall when the addon has "wallRUN" in its name.
I totally understand this, and I thought about it myself a bunch while making the addon. Ultimately, I decided against it for a few reasons. The primary one is I want it to be relatively unintrusive. Messing with the normal slope physics in all cases seems like it could be kinda alienating to people used to them in a level that just wants to take advantage of wallrunning. Secondly a change like this feels to me firmly in source code modding which feels a bit out of scope, and something I'm not entirely comfortable with, especially for something that I feel should be usable multiplayer. I know it would be possible to do outside of it but I'm not sure if I want to have to deal with changing the slope physics all the time through lua. Finally, to me, it seems (somewhat) consistent to the way super steep slopes and halfpipes behave in the 2d games. Really steep slopes are virtually never used for loops and when you are expected to run up them, it's normally with a massive speed boost beforehand. Short halfpipes and walls on the other hand are pretty frequently used and significantly easier to run up.

Other thing to keep in mind is that ultra steep ramps that still function as halfpipes are an intentional level design choice from the mapmaker, knowing that you usually shouldn't be able to run up them. I'm sure some mapmakers even use them as a nospin gate. It seems a little weird to change the physics in a way that could potentially break that. I do really enjoy the unintentional interactions as well but I think it would be kinda weird if you could just always run up a 60 degree slope as long as the physics are active.

Whenever physics that are much better than these are officially added to the game, I assume that they're probably gonna rework the regular slope physics entirely. For now though, I'm not really sure if I want to mess with them too much.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back