E-102 Gamma

[Open Assets] E-102 Gamma 1.4.2

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
This is really cool! I love how Gamma controls and works in the game, and I love that the timer is included and the points system is maintained. Almost want an Omega skin as well haha.

One thing, and I'm not sure if the problem is here or with BuddyEx, but trying to add Gamma as a bot there only adds the birdie, and its quite glitchy. Is this an error, or by design?

Hello! wanted to consult about something related to boss fights, and if it's a thing already for that matter
I've been playing gamma for a while and the only real faults I've had with the timer logic so far have been on bosses whose hp are higher than normal/scale to player count, such as in servers that allow to do so. The first case though am not sure if it has to do with the boss in question having two phases, but nontheless I wonder if there's a way to make it so the timer takes boss health into consideration.

Other than that, extremely fun character! Just hoping this issue can be solved next version if possible lol

One thing, and I'm not sure if the problem is here or with BuddyEx, but trying to add Gamma as a bot there only adds the birdie, and its quite glitchy. Is this an error, or by design?
BuddyEx is a very old bot mod that remakes player code from scratch, so any character that does anything complicated is not going to be compatible with it. You'll probably have more luck with newer bot solutions like foxBot, which use newer SRB2 features to use actual player code.

I've been playing gamma for a while and the only real faults I've had with the timer logic so far have been on bosses whose hp are higher than normal/scale to player count, such as in servers that allow to do so. The first case though am not sure if it has to do with the boss in question having two phases, but nontheless I wonder if there's a way to make it so the timer takes boss health into consideration.
This is already implemented for next version!

BuddyEx is a very old bot mod that remakes player code from scratch, so any character that does anything complicated is not going to be compatible with it. You'll probably have more luck with newer bot solutions like foxBot, which use newer SRB2 features to use actual player code.

This is already implemented for next version!
could you by any chance, make a 'Lite' version?

This mod is amazing, but I think the lock-on system needs to be checked again for errors, because I don't know if it's intentional or not, but Gamma will lock on to level objects that it normally shouldn't, such as the flowers in Techno Hill and the mines in Deep Sea. At least the mines help with extra time, while the metal flowers do not. Same applies to the stalactites in Red Volcano and TNT barrels in Arid Canyon; the latter is useful for time, but the former isn't.

Also, even after beating the game as Gamma with all seven Chaos Emeralds, I still don't know how its shooting mechanics work. I know you use a laser and whatever it crosses you will lock on to, but does it have to apply to literally everything in your radius? For enemies it makes sense, since those are the only things that can help with the time limit, but then there's the monitors and the environmental pieces I brought up earlier. What's the point of locking onto them if they're practically useless?

This mod is amazing, but I think the lock-on system needs to be checked again for errors, because I don't know if it's intentional or not, but Gamma will lock on to level objects that it normally shouldn't, such as the flowers in Techno Hill and the mines in Deep Sea. At least the mines help with extra time, while the metal flowers do not. Same applies to the stalactites in Red Volcano and TNT barrels in Arid Canyon; the latter is useful for time, but the former isn't.

Also, even after beating the game as Gamma with all seven Chaos Emeralds, I still don't know how its shooting mechanics work. I know you use a laser and whatever it crosses you will lock on to, but does it have to apply to literally everything in your radius? For enemies it makes sense, since those are the only things that can help with the time limit, but then there's the monitors and the environmental pieces I brought up earlier. What's the point of locking onto them if they're practically useless?
Gamma's only means of destroying anything is with their lock-on. I can't claim to know if you've played Gamma in SA1 before, but for the record, Gamma could lock onto and destroy some environmental objects in that game, too, to no purpose. (Although I at least agree that Techno Hill Act 1's flowers should probably be removed from the list of objects they can lock on to, with how much they clog things up.) The mines and barrels are absolutely valid as lock-on targets, both because they give time and because this gives Gamma a safe way to deal with them from a distance- seeing as that's kinda their schtick. And I think the stalactites are uncommon enough, by comparison to TH1's flowers, to stay shootable. Iirc the stalactites even have some collision, so destroying them could hypothetically help you move around.

As for the monitors, I must reiterate locking on to them is the only method Gamma has to destroy them. That and they're generally very helpful to destroy in the first place, save, say, losing a magnet shield, or if they're eggman monitors- but that encourages being at least a little careful with your locking on, which I think is perfectly reasonable. Also, in SA1, monitors could simply be walked through by anyone to gain the benefits within, but Gamma could lock on to them there, too. (There's actually a mod that converts all monitors to Adventure-styled ones if you're interested in being able to walk through them in SRB2 as well.)

There are, memory serving, plenty of environmental objects that Gamma doesn't lock on to as well, like the trees and flowers in Greenflower for example. All this to say, any 'errors' in the lock-on system are almost certainly intentionally recreating behaviors from SA1.

Gamma's only means of destroying anything is with their lock-on. I can't claim to know if you've played Gamma in SA1 before, but for the record, Gamma could lock onto and destroy some environmental objects in that game, too, to no purpose. (Although I at least agree that Techno Hill Act 1's flowers should probably be removed from the list of objects they can lock on to, with how much they clog things up.) The mines and barrels are absolutely valid as lock-on targets, both because they give time and because this gives Gamma a safe way to deal with them from a distance- seeing as that's kinda their schtick. And I think the stalactites are uncommon enough, by comparison to TH1's flowers, to stay shootable. Iirc the stalactites even have some collision, so destroying them could hypothetically help you move around.

As for the monitors, I must reiterate locking on to them is the only method Gamma has to destroy them. That and they're generally very helpful to destroy in the first place, save, say, losing a magnet shield, or if they're eggman monitors- but that encourages being at least a little careful with your locking on, which I think is perfectly reasonable. Also, in SA1, monitors could simply be walked through by anyone to gain the benefits within, but Gamma could lock on to them there, too. (There's actually a mod that converts all monitors to Adventure-styled ones if you're interested in being able to walk through them in SRB2 as well.)

There are, memory serving, plenty of environmental objects that Gamma doesn't lock on to as well, like the trees and flowers in Greenflower for example. All this to say, any 'errors' in the lock-on system are almost certainly intentionally recreating behaviors from SA1.
You're right. I have never played Gamma in SA1. Don't know how it works in that game. I don't own any version of SA1, either. Hell, I don't even have any means of playing it. No Dreamcast, no Nintendo GameCube, no PC, and I have no idea how to get a Dreamcast emulator to work on a mobile device let alone Sonic Adventure.
I know about the Adventure Monitors mod, though. I use it sometimes whenever I do a quick sample of either Adventure Sonic or Gamma, or whenever I don't feel like having to pop open the monitors myself (which is not very often.)

My design philosophy on what objects get lock-on, to match exactly how SA1 handles it:
  • Is it an enemy?
    • If so, then lock-on and give time.
    • If not, is it destructible (aka, does it have a death state), in the vanilla game?
      • If so, then lock-on, no time bonus.
      • If not, then is it a metallic, rock, or otherwise non-living / man-made object?
        • If so, then lock-on, no time bonus, and add a custom destruction state.
        • If not, then it cannot be locked on or destroyed.
This matches how Gamma's laser gets distracted by stuff like beach umbrellas, but he leaves plants alone.

The only place where I bent these rules was for ACZ's TNT, which is not an enemy but it gives time, and I went back and forth on this one all throughout development. I personally decided on giving it since some areas of ACZ are pretty devoid of enemies and I like having objects that are dangerous to shoot haphazardly but you're rewarded for it, but I'm still thinking of reverting it.

TehRealSalt updated E-102 Gamma with a new update entry:

v1.3 release

Minor release to add support to SRB2infinity and fix some miscellaneous issues.

View attachment 99021
  • Sprite optimizations:
    • Grouped Gamma's Sprite2 freeslots together, to reduce how many are taken up. Previously used up 21, now only uses 7.
      • This change will break the existing 3D model. Sorry! Jeck is already working on it, so don't bother him about it please :)
    • Removed a lot of excess blank space on the sprites.
  • Time Limit...

Read the rest of this update entry...

We need a virsion compatible for 2.2.10 android,the modelpacks dont work for 2.2.11 so please fix it 🥺🙏
Just turn off models then. Also,begging is not good to use most of the time,so dont beg (personal experience from Classic Sonic Simulator).

Im just asking the community to fix the models,hopefully we will get a fix on that so I can play with models,tge modelpacks might have an error,so they will need to delete modelpacks,it doesnt work and you cant combine models pack like I did in 2.2.10,it really doesnt matter though,I just like the models

Im just asking the community to fix the models,hopefully we will get a fix on that so I can play with models,tge modelpacks might have an error,so they will need to delete modelpacks,it doesnt work and you cant combine models pack like I did in 2.2.10,it really doesnt matter though,I just like the models
So what your saying is that the community shuld fix the models?

We need a virsion compatible for 2.2.10 android,the modelpacks dont work for 2.2.11 so please fix it 🥺🙏
Also,there's no we here,since its only you who asked

I mean the srb2 community who made 2.2.11
Post automatically merged:

And when I say we,I mean people who do need it

I mean the srb2 community who made 2.2.11
Post automatically merged:

And when I say we,I mean people who do need it
2.2.11 was made by Sonic Team Jr,with Lactozilla making the Android port of the same version. There is no one else managing the Android port other than Lactozilla.

For the second part,people didnt asked here for that fix,so its only you.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back