• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Dreamcast Sonic (DC-Sonic) Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will he at least have those sick Soap Shoes like with the old sprites
What about upgrades?
Sadly, I couldn't figure out a way to get the upgrades to show up on the same model, and as you can see in the tweet I linked, he does not have Soap Shoes. So unfortunately, these won't be included.

Although, I didn't realize this when making the decision initially, but I was going to use Nibroc Rock's Dreamcast Sonic Model, with all the same upgrades that BlueBlur gave his design. Initially I thought since the model isn't public, I wouldn't be able to use it...
20211019_091907.jpg

However, I'm probably just going to ask him! If I am able to get my hands on it, chances are I'll be able to prerender it with animations from both SA1 and SA2, because I'll be able to convert it to use either one myself. If anything, custom animation would be possible as well, but not as smooth as I have them now. Who knows, I might even be able to actually sprite him using the prerenders...

Will DC-Sonic still have some moves from Heroes?
Yes! Blue Tornado is there already, although it doesn't fling enemies yet, so right now it just kills them. I'm planning on reworking the Triangle Jump into a move that can redirect your current momentum off a wall, which will be useful because controlling DC-Sonic in the air is just as difficult as any other character, especially when you have a lot of speed! If I figure out how to code it, Rocket Accel would more than likely only happen if DC-Sonic spindashes into a player that is charging a spindash, provided that they are not also playing as DC-Sonic. The player who's gets spindashed into would be the one in control, whereas the DC-Sonic would follow for the initial burst of speed, which would last for 2 seconds. But, if either player so chooses, they can hold Forward to keep all momentum from it, so long as they don't slow down below their normalspeed value! Team Blast isn't going to make it in, for obvious reasons, but the visuals of the Lighting that the Light Speed Attack has in Heroes is part of the Light Speed Attack that is currently in!

Rocket Accel likely won't be included in the first version.

Yes! Blue Tornado is there already, although it doesn't fling enemies yet, so right now it just kills them. I'm planning on reworking the Triangle Jump into a move that can redirect your current momentum off a wall, which will be useful because controlling DC-Sonic in the air is just as difficult as any other character, especially when you have a lot of speed! If I figure out how to code it, Rocket Accel would more than likely only happen if DC-Sonic spindashes into a player that is charging a spindash, provided that they are not also playing as DC-Sonic. The player who's gets spindashed into would be the one in control, whereas the DC-Sonic would follow for the initial burst of speed, which would last for 2 seconds. But, if either player so chooses, they can hold Forward to keep all momentum from it, so long as they don't slow down below their normalspeed value! Team Blast isn't going to make it in, for obvious reasons, but the visuals of the Lighting that the Light Speed Attack has in Heroes is part of the Light Speed Attack that is currently in!

Rocket Accel likely won't be included in the first version.
Well can't you just modify the spindash to slow down a bit and boost you forward (the slowing down technique idea was thought up while I played as bandages)

Well can't you just modify the spindash to slow down a bit and boost you forward (the slowing down technique idea was thought up while I played as bandages)
Actually, the reason I'm handling it this way is because Rocket Accel requires more than one character in Sonic Heroes, a detail the player would almost never notice unless both Knuckles and Tails have their portraits crossed out, like for example if they get knocked out when going up against Team Rose or Team Dark. In that exact situation, Sonic actually cannot use Rocket Accel, he'll just roll instead

Actually, the reason I'm handling it this way is because Rocket Accel requires more than one character in Sonic Heroes, a detail the player would almost never notice unless both Knuckles and Tails have their portraits crossed out, like for example if they get knocked out when going up against Team Rose or Team Dark. In that exact situation, Sonic actually cannot use Rocket Accel, he'll just roll instead
Oh ok, wait, I'm confused on how that works, So do both knuckles and tails kick him forward or..?

You guys are asking the wrong question

1. How will there be a team sonic not unless this mod will have buddy ex compatibility considering the " bots " in buddy ex aren't really bots
Oh ok, wait, I'm confused on how that works, So do both knuckles and tails kick him forward or..?
Post automatically merged:

Sadly, I couldn't figure out a way to get the upgrades to show up on the same model, and as you can see in the tweet I linked, he does not have Soap Shoes. So unfortunately, these won't be included.

Although, I didn't realize this when making the decision initially, but I was going to use Nibroc Rock's Dreamcast Sonic Model, with all the same upgrades that BlueBlur gave his design. Initially I thought since the model isn't public, I wouldn't be able to use it...View attachment 55086
However, I'm probably just going to ask him! If I am able to get my hands on it, chances are I'll be able to prerender it with animations from both SA1 and SA2, because I'll be able to convert it to use either one myself. If anything, custom animation would be possible as well, but not as smooth as I have them now. Who knows, I might even be able to actually sprite him using the prerenders...
The I prefer the pre rendered one tbh I could care less if the upgrade peices were visible or not its not really needed anyway but I mean its your mod now so I can't control that but just consider it

Last edited:
If you ever played Sonic Generations, you should know that it’s in the same era as SA and SA2
that doesnt make it a dreamcast game, it wasn't on the dreamcast :/
its in the same era because they are close enough to eachother, and making an entire new era and leaving one era with two levels wouldnt make sense. You could call it the adventure era, but that doesnt make it a dreamcast game

You guys are asking the wrong question

1. How will there be a team sonic not unless this mod will have buddy ex compatibility considering the " bots " in buddy ex aren't really bots
There won't be. It was never implied that there would really be a Team Sonic, just that Rocket Accel is a co-op move.

its in the same era because they are close enough to eachother, and making an entire new era and leaving one era with two levels wouldnt make sense. You could call it the adventure era, but that doesnt make it a dreamcast game
I didn't say it was a Dreamcast game, I said it was in the Dreamcast Era

How will there be a team sonic not unless this mod will have buddy ex compatibility considering the " bots " in buddy ex aren't really bots
The short answer is, there won't be a "Team Sonic" so the Rocket Accel is locked behind either Multiplayer, or Botskin. Buddy Ex bots, like you said, aren't really bots, so using them for Rocket Accel won't work.
Just to clarify, Dreamcast Sonic is representing the dreamcast era, not just the dreamcast games. It's the same reason that MotdSpork's Modern Sonic isn't called "Unleashed Sonic" or "Boost Formula Sonic" for example. Because he represents the Modern era, and I'm sure if Classic Sonic was ever made into a separate character, he'd represent the Classic era (or at least Generations' interpretation of the Classic era). Since Metal Wario's Adventure Sonic is focused exclusively on Adventure 1 & 2, Dreamcast Sonic is focused on SA1, SA2, and Heroes, with some minor influence from Shadow The Hedgehog, but that last part is being kept to a minimum because personally, I see the Dreamcast era ending and the Modern era beginning within that one game. I see Shadow The Hedgehog and Sonic 06 being in a transitional era that is neither Dreamcast nor Modern, so they in theory could fit in either.

The short answer is, there won't be a "Team Sonic" so the Rocket Accel is locked behind either Multiplayer, or Botskin. Buddy Ex bots, like you said, aren't really bots, so using them for Rocket Accel won't work.

Just to clarify, Dreamcast Sonic is representing the dreamcast era, not just the dreamcast games. It's the same reason that MotdSpork's Modern Sonic isn't called "Unleashed Sonic" or "Boost Formula Sonic" for example. Because he represents the Modern era, and I'm sure if Classic Sonic was ever made into a separate character, he'd represent the Classic era (or at least Generations' interpretation of the Classic era). Since Metal Wario's Adventure Sonic is focused exclusively on Adventure 1 & 2, Dreamcast Sonic is focused on SA1, SA2, and Heroes, with some minor influence from Shadow The Hedgehog, but that last part is being kept to a minimum because personally, I see the Dreamcast era ending and the Modern era beginning within that one game. I see Shadow The Hedgehog and Sonic 06 being in a transitional era that is neither Dreamcast nor Modern, so they in theory could fit in either.
Ah I see well thanks for answering anyway

To support "not being on dreamcast but is Dreamcast era", I remember seeing the Dreamcast era trailer for Sonic Generations, which included Sonic Heroes.
But enough about whether Heroes is in the era or not.
Will there be physics changes like SA-Sonic?
Will the homing attack be like SA 1, 2, or Heroes?

Will there be physics changes like SA-Sonic?
Will the homing attack be like SA 1, 2, or Heroes?
Physics changes are being kept to a minimum for DC-Sonic, as I never intended to make the physics too different from Vanilla. However, he loses momentum a lot slower than the vanilla cast, as well as any of the modded characters out there that don't have anything allowing for them to keep their speed on the ground.

Homing attack is currently in a state that I feel on the fence about. It gives forward momentum, but not a lot, so it's easier to start moving out of a successful hit. It also gives quite a bit of extra height. I'll go into more detail with a video I'm working on to show what I (we?) have so far, and discus the future of the project. Stay tuned!

I just realized I never posted gifs! Now that I've just finished the super aura, I suppose now is a better time than ever!
srb20683.gif
srb20684.gif

srb20681.gif
srb20682.gif

Last edited:
Physics changes are being kept to a minimum for DC-Sonic, as I never intended to make the physics too different from Vanilla. However, he loses momentum a lot slower than the vanilla cast, as well as any of the modded characters out there that don't have anything allowing for them to keep their speed on the ground.

Homing attack is currently in a state that I feel on the fence about. It gives forward momentum, but not a lot, so it's easier to start moving out of a successful hit. It also gives quite a bit of extra height. I'll go into more detail with a video I'm working on to show what I (we?) have so far, and discus the future of the project. Stay tuned!

I just realized I never posted gifs! Now that I've just finished the super aura, I suppose now is a better time than ever!View attachment 55344View attachment 55345
View attachment 55347View attachment 55348
But can he hover over water when super?

But can he hover over water when super?
He can, but only when he's going fast enough. I don't want to lock people out of being able to complete levels that require you to go under water, as he does not have a way to detransform, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Alright, so I've written down some of the plans I have for Dreamcast Sonic. It's basically just some options that I want to add:
+ A "5button" controlscheme that uses Custom 1 2 and 3 in addition to Jump and Spin. (currently the only control scheme)
Below is the stuff I haven't added yet:
- A "2button" controlscheme that make everything limited to Jump and Spin, holding Spin for a certain amount of frames will result in a different action being preformed. Some abilities will be context sensitive for this controlscheme.
- A "spinhold timer" to be used with the simplified control scheme. The smaller the value, the less time it takes for the hold input to go through.
- An "LSA auto-charge" option. When disabled, it will allow charging the spindash independently from the Light Speed Attack, which can then be charged via pressing the Jump button once while charging the Spindash.
- Options allowing the player to choose between the sound effects that 3 games have to offer for jumping, skidding, homing, air dashing, LSA, spindash release, etc.
- The ability to change the super theme to Open your Heart, Live and Learn, or What I'm Made Of

I just realized I never posted gifs! Now that I've just finished the super aura, I suppose now is a better time than ever!View attachment 55344View attachment 55345
Thats just amazing. no words. just- amazing.

Jeez so much got done already, althouugh you do pre-render the animations so it wouldn't to be a bit too hard...I think. Also did you import the normal sa1 animations? If so that's cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back