Almost Software Shading

[Open Assets] Almost Software Shading v2.2.6

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

Rokotallion Blast

Put your cards up in the air!
Hello! This is an old version of the mod description, check out the Overview to see the updated one!

The downloads are also moved to the download button in the header.

Tweak (8/1/21)

1- Modified, fixes for certain mods (Wild West Zone - OLDC Summer 2020)

---

Fix (2/2/21)

1- BASS water/fluid textures fixed

---

Tweak (1/29/21)

1- Clearer water.

2- Changes in version number labelling

3- Slight color modifications

---

Fix (1/28/21):

1- The water has a bluer-deeper hue.

2- Improved distances for sprites and models.

3- Mud fluids, specifically in Castle Eggman Zone Act 1, has been colored correctly.

4- Other tweaks that makes the look of the game clearer, but retaining the limited color look.
-
Quick hotfix for AlmostSavage.

---

Fix (1/26/21):

1- B.A.S.S. Water looking too green, fixed.

2- Fixed some oversights with the fog. And some colormaps are less dark now.

---

Update (1/26/21): Version 2 is now here! This version aims to fix green-ish tints on black and white areas, models and sprites. There's also changes to colors.

Frankly, the ripple effect is still "experimental", there are small fixes but problems still persist.

Other than that, enjoy!

---

Update (12/5/20): I've been meaning to add this, so there is now a shader that incorporates the default opengl shader but with water effects. None of that software shading, but water be ripplin.

It's called "BarelyAlmostSoftwareSavage", or "B.A.S.S.".

You can download it now!

---

Update (12/4/20): Savage just got another coding update. Try to check if it finally works on below OpenGL 4.0!

---

Update (12/3/20): Savage just got a coding update. Try to check if it finally works on below OpenGL 4.0!

---

Update (12/3/20)
New Low End Support!
For PCs with OpenGL versions below 4.0

AlmostSoftwareNoRipple and AlmostSoftwareRipple have been renamed to AlmostSoftwareSoft and AlmostSoftwareSavage respectively!

AlmostSoftwareSoft also has coding improvements that should work on lower-end graphics drivers like Intel Graphics.

---

Update (12/3/20): Hi. It may be that this shader won't work for lower end systems at the moment, as seen from the logs. I must say, thank you for the people who sent their logs, it helped identify the issue. I'll be working on a low-end supported shader, should be able to release soon.

DCUaLJf.png

Almost Software Shading
A.S.S. for short

in courtesy of Fickleheart's wacky shaders

Are you tired of OpenGL's very truecolor palette? Well you're in luck!
A.S.S. is here to simulate SRB2's software lighting and limited color look into OpenGL!

The shader posterizes textures in a way to produce visuals that would closely resemble what's displayed in SRB2's software renderer. The shader also changes the coloring of certain areas, especially underwater.

Here's a comparison between Normal OpenGL and A.S.S. OpenGL Respectively

Deep Sea Zone
JtYmELu.png
m3Irod8.png
vB14auO.png
7JEteLm.png
KObARGR.png
cshRKLU.png

Castle Eggman Zone
ERbxUOy.png
LFiSaxn.png
W7NfIva.png
v18fE5o.png

Greenflower Zone
T3Xhyg2.png
1olZqyj.png

Arid Canyon Zone
43DPm4u.png
XWyVfTJ.png

It also introduces a pseudo effect that makes water look like it's rippling and refracted!
ZRabT7e.gif

It's quite experimental though.

There are three shaders.

(AlmostSoftwareSoft_v2.2.5.pk3)
This shader has the coloring, lighting and shading modifications. It's the stable version.

(AlmostSoftwareSavage_v2.2.5.pk3)
This shader has all of what the previous shader has but with a pseudo ripple effect on the water (mostly). If it's bothering your play a bit but you still want the coloring, your best bet is to use Soft_v2.1.

(BarelyAlmostSoftwareSavage_v2.1.1pk3)
This shader is for those who don't really like the limited color palette look, but are interested in the ripple effect. If it's bothering your play a bit, your best bet is to just use the default OpenGL shader.

The Ripple Effect doesn't have any errors when it comes to gameplay and it's also pretty much finished for the vanilla singleplayer campaign, but if you plan on playing with mods, bear in mind that some maps may not apply the ripple effect properly.

For optimal play and stable visuals, download the Soft version.

Note: You're going to need a custom save if you want to make a new file with this shader.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
I don't really understand why this doesn't work. can you tell me?

attachment.php

Attachments

• srb20188.png
    srb20188.png
    281.3 KB · Views: 12,567
  • log-2020-12-03_16-43-39.txt
    9.9 KB · Views: 440
Last edited:
In regards to the errors:

I knew some issues would arise, I'm surprised this even got released, but I'm glad people pointed it out.

I'll be making an update to this, I'm wondering if there are people who got this working like I have.

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 PM ----------

Shader has been updated!

Both of them have code and name changes for the past hour.

AlmostSoftwareSoft had No Rippling Effect and should guarantee to work with those who's had error logs.

AlmostSoftwareSavage has the Rippling Effect and while has had coding changes, is still unsure to work on those with the logs.

This is really, really good. It's a bit too saturated but it really restores the vibrance that software has.

Great addon. Thanks for creating & posting.

Not gonna lie, I really dig the visual aesthetic that the new default shaders provide. Overall, I feel it gives the game a clearer & cleaner look than the 256-color vibe—but it's also slightly posterized, keeping the retro aesthetic. It looks very Mania (which I can only assume is the intention). It's worth noting that I prefer sprites to models.

Why am I replying, if this mod isn't for me? Cuz I love that you've implemented water-ripple!

Interestingly, on my machine, the ripple doesn't render nearly as strongly as it does in your GIF. This might be related to the issues others were experiencing. I'm on a Surface Laptop gen1 (outing myself as "not a gamer")

I hope is that this will become one of those addons that gets absorbed into the main game, with the devs choosing to implement your ripple effect and perhaps incorporate your, uhm, "ass" color grading as an optional switch. I feel it'd be a great addition on the welcome march towards an OGL default renderer.

nice

Great addon. Thanks for creating & posting.

Not gonna lie, I really dig the visual aesthetic that the new default shaders provide. Overall, I feel it gives the game a clearer & cleaner look than the 256-color vibe—but it's also slightly posterized, keeping the retro aesthetic. It looks very Mania (which I can only assume is the intention). It's worth noting that I prefer sprites to models.

Why am I replying, if this mod isn't for me? Cuz I love that you've implemented water-ripple!

Interestingly, on my machine, the ripple doesn't render nearly as strongly as it does in your GIF. This might be related to the issues others were experiencing. I'm on a Surface Laptop gen1 (outing myself as "not a gamer")

I hope is that this will become one of those addons that gets absorbed into the main game, with the devs choosing to implement your ripple effect and perhaps incorporate your, uhm, "ass" color grading as an optional switch. I feel it'd be a great addition on the welcome march towards an OGL default renderer.

I actually toned the effect down a bit due to it looking a bit more disorienting that I thought.

Other than that, I made a standalone shader that only incorporates the water effect without the fancy shmancy shading effects!

This shader is pretty epic, just epic.
Its a pretty close replica of the software shading, but people are having issues with it, i think, it works for me!

Attachments

• srb20148.jpg
    srb20148.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 533
  • srb20114.gif
    srb20114.gif
    5.4 MB · Views: 567
I'm glad custom shaders have started to appear since the release of 2.2.8. Seeing the feature being released in 2.2.5 or something like that, I started to look for them but didn't find any. I'm glad people have caught on to it.

What's the difference again?

The description isn't very clear about the A.S.Savage and B.A.S.S. could you be more clear in the description. I'm reading and re-reading and it feels like you're telling me the same thing for both files.

EDIT: Nevermind tested both. Is there a way to increase ripple?

Last edited:
I like how you added the ripple effects as just the one pack, as I will say, I prefer the default shading over the software, but I am really hyped over the ripples. So slapping that in my Autoexec

Kororobo no hate towards youre shader project but i preffer normal opengl with shaders and ambient lighting

This might be the last update to this project. I have no such huge experience with GLSL and I think certain people have already thought of better ideas for the OpenGL renderer. I really look forward to when we get to that point.

Last edited:
What can I say. It looks good. But not perfect. It might not be possible to do it very close to software.

I love the way the goo-water looks. It's much better than OpenGL.

CPWkeSZ.png

For some reason DSZ has red colors and it looks bad.

Y0ZB99S.png

Or... I get it! Brown turns to red in the dark.

494ySka.png

You have almost no gray colors. The wall cannot be seen in the distance.

zhe0m1z.png

There are shades of red in the water and that's bad. In general, water is the main problem. For example, ATZ. The screenshot shows that there is a red stripe at the coral level.

qintf2i.png

The statues look terrible in the distance!

2ht0S5F.png

I really like the way ATZ and ACZ2 look.
Well, I understand the sacrifices you had to make. But even with these errors / flaws, I like it. I don't like OpenGL because of the way it changes graphics horribly.

You fixed it. Almost.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back