SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Releases > Levels

Gigalopolis Zone V1.01 Details »»
Gigalopolis Zone V1.01
Developer Last Online: Oct 2020

Version: SRB2 Rating: (3 votes - 3.60 average)
Released: 04-29-2020 Last Update: Never Favourites: 5
Single Player Levels Sprites/Graphics

From Sonic Chaos, it's Gigalopolis Zone! (or Gigapolis Zone if you're so inclined.)

This was originally going to be my entry for the ULDC. I've decided to post a standalone version since the contest has been cancelled and doesn't appear to be getting picked up again (understandable, though I do hope another collaborative map-building event can be held in the future).

At first I planned on recreating the level faithfully but quickly decided that it'd be better to make proper use of the 3D space. I still had the original level maps at hand throughout development so that my map would still be evocative of the original, however. The diagonal platforms are still a fairly prominent gimmick!

There were originally lots of 1-ups scattered around the level to encourage exploration, which made sense in its original context of being part of a level pack, but not so much as a standalone map. So instead, I've added the seven Chaos Emeralds to the map to fill that hole.

The music is a 16-bit rendition of Gigalopolis' Master System theme. I originally wanted it to be in VGM format, but it seems that VGMs created in Deflemask will have their percussion channel muted in SRB2 (the same thing happens with 32X VGMs).

Anyway, enough waffle. Not much more to say other than that I hope you enjoy the level!

Changelog
Spoiler:

V1.0 - Original Release
V1.01 - Rectified a HOM towards the end of the level

Download Now

File Type: pk3 VS_GigalopolisZone-v1.01.pk3 (1.45 MB, 3024 views)

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20156.jpg
Views:	6563
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	30380   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20157.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	30381   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20158.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	30382   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20154.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	30383  

Show Your Support

• This addon may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without the author's permission.

Comments
Old 04-30-2020   #2
Zipper
Killda
Judge

The later parts of the stage reminded me more of a CS Surf map than a Sonic stage, which is kinda funny.

Overall, I enjoy the aesthetics and layout, but there just didn't seem to be a lot going on. The most enjoyable part was easily getting big air from large slopes, but that was about it. Still, plenty of chances to get collectibles, and they seem to be hidden cleverly, which is always a plus.
Old 04-30-2020   #3
Metafrost2

I have tested this level and I will say that it is very cool. And very gigantic (based on the name of the zone). In some places, I had to use parkour skills. The atmosphere is directly reflected as in the original zone in Sonic Chaos. It was nice to play.

Will there be anything else like this?
Metafrost2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020   #4
Solid SOAP

Cute!

Just played through this; a pleasant, simple stage to zip through. The aesthetic is fun; SRB2 doesn't have enough city levels, imo. I also love the SA2 sign posts laden throughout, they add some fun flair to the game.

I'd love to see emblems implemented into the level too to really encourage exploration.

Good job!
Solid SOAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020   #5
Xstatic
Smiley Trashbag

This has to be one of the funnest zones I have ever played.
It punishes those who are impatient and want to zip through, but rewards those who are patient with ungodly amounts of speed.
The background is.....well, amazing. I don't know how this looks so cool.
The music is pleasant, but not too slow, letting you know about the speed of the zone.
Overall an amazing zone.
Xstatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020   #6
CaveQuest

Well this level is alright... I do like the layout but it feels a bit empty in areas... or it has moments where it feels a bit too big... Otherwise I do think the map is good! But not my personal cup of tea...
CaveQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020   #7
Solid SOAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveQuest View Post
Well this level is alright... I do like the layout but it feels a bit empty in areas... or it has moments where it feels a bit too big... Otherwise I do think the map is good! But not my personal cup of tea...
It could definitely be expanded upon, but it has great character to it and the level design is fun if a bit straight forward.
Solid SOAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020   #8
Eis-Kold
Freelance Bug Hunter

I don't know if you're aware of this one, but there's a HOM on this ramp near the silver emerald. It exists on both sides, by the way.

Eis-Kold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020   #9
Rexeljet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eis-Kold View Post
I don't know if you're aware of this one, but there's a HOM on this ramp near the silver emerald. It exists on both sides, by the way.

Huh, you're right! Whoops. I've noticed that slopes occasionally have a tendency to lose their textures when you add/edit geometry vaguely within their vicinity, though I don't know exactly what triggers this. I've uploaded V1.01 which fixes this.
Old 05-02-2020   #10
Ace Dragon

This level ticks all of the boxes in eye-candy for sure.

The level overall is like a theme park ride, fast and fun, and the emeralds are not exactly a cakewalk to find either (which is good). I can't wait to see Act2.
Ace Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020   #11
Goldenhog
Wandering Protagonist

Kind of a basic level, as Zipper said, and it definitely needs better signposting in a number of spots - I found myself getting lost a bunch of times because the end of one path sometimes directs you backwards down the alternate path. Still fun enough and I love the aesthetic!
Goldenhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020   #12
shaks

Fun level, with nice use of momentum, well hidden secrets and multiple chances to explore. Maybe add some other features/gimmicks, and this is damn close to one of the best maps yet.
shaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020   #13
CST1229

And then...
Summer OLDC 2020 happened.
(mod not mine)
CST1229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020   #14
Gambit

Quote:
The music is a 16-bit rendition of Gigalopolis' Master System theme. I originally wanted it to be in VGM format, but it seems that VGMs created in Deflemask will have their percussion channel muted in SRB2 (the same thing happens with 32X VGMs).
It seems like the GME library used by SRB2 doesn't know how to interpret DAC data from Deflemask YM2612 vgm's. Considering the fact that a literal Winamp plugin can do this just fine without a hitch (while also supporting the 32X's PWM chip), i'm kinda curious as to why STJr decided to go with GME instead of Valley Bell's libvgm. Though my guess is that it's because of how GME has more broad support for a wider variety of sound chips (especially NSF and SPC, which means not needing separate libraries for them).
Gambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020   #15
CST1229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambit View Post
It seems like the GME library used by SRB2 doesn't know how to interpret DAC data from Deflemask YM2612 vgm's. Considering the fact that a literal Winamp plugin can do this just fine without a hitch (while also supporting the 32X's PWM chip), i'm kinda curious as to why STJr decided to go with GME instead of Valley Bell's libvgm. Though my guess is that it's because of how GME has more broad support for a wider variety of sound chips (especially NSF and SPC, which means not needing separate libraries for them).
It should be reported as an issue in GitLab or in bug reports.
(mod not mine)
CST1229 is offline   Reply With Quote