SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Releases > Resources

Double Cherry Monitors [v2.1] Details »»
Double Cherry Monitors [v2.1]
Version: v2, by WellDoneSnake (Formerly "TSDude") WellDoneSnake is offline
Developer Last Online: Sep 2020

Version: SRB2 Rating: (1 votes - 3.00 average)
Released: 06-27-2020 Last Update: Never Favourites: 3
Scripts Re-Useable Content Sprites/Graphics

Hey all thought I'd show off a mini-side project that I was working on to figure out how I'd want to tackle recreating bot-like behaviour.

>>Updated to v2.1 see notes in "Important Stuff" section and changelog below<<

Introducing...

Double Cherry Power-Up

Yes I know on Discord I kept going back and forth over calling it Double Cherry lol

This power-up is my take on the double cherry power-up from Super Mario 3D World. This may not be a 100% accurate representation of the power-up from the original game.

By breaking one of the double cherry monitors, a clone of the player will be spawned.
This clone mimics most of the player's actions and is useful for destroying enemies and obstacles.

>>Important Info<<

1) Clones can have their positions rotated by tapping the custom 1, ring toss or ring toss normal buttons. If you press and hold these buttons then the clones will assume their default spawning positions.

2) This mod comes in two versions:

- "L_DoubleCherry(play)-v2.pk3" replaces all ring monitors with a double cherry monitor. This is for adding another fun experience to the standard vanilla campaign playthroughs.

- "L_DoubleCherry(editor)-v2.pk3" is for map creators who would like to take advantage of these clones in their own projects.
Mapthing no. 2998 is the normal monitor while mapthing no. 2999 is the respawnable version.

- Additionally when using the editors version you can take advantage of linedef types 314 and 315. These clones count as pushable objects, so they can be used to trigger certain effects in a level.

>>Updated Information For Mappers<<

As of version 2.1 you can now have the clones activate more linedef types than before, particularly linedef types that relied on a player object to activate them (e.g. 413 - Change Music, assuming that the "Not Climbable" flag is unchecked).
This works similarly to linedef types 314/315 mentioned above.

To utilise this feature use the Call Lua Function - 443 linedef special.
1) Type "P_CCHECK" in the upper front texture fields.

2) The x-offset of the front upper texture must only use numbers 1 - 4, the value set is compared to the number of clones you have in your original trigger sector.

3) Checking the "Not Climbable" flag checks if the no. of clones >= the x-offset. While the "Solid Midtexture" flag checks if the no. of clones <= the x-offset.

4) Lastly set the tag to the tag number of another linedef executor trigger (which would be on the same control sector that has a linedef special that affects the player).

Bug: When using the new linedef action, clones may not trigger an effect if they're in separate trigger sectors that share the same tag.

A test map is included in the this release, launch the game/map editor with both the editor edition (as a resource if using a map editor) and the map.

Special Note: This mod was mainly made for the vanilla characters (Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Fang and Metal Sonic), it was not made with custom characters in mind. I may work on adding support for non-vanilla characters in the future.

Changelogs:
Spoiler: Changelog v2.1
General Clone Fixes

- Clones now show a bit more independent behaviour when either they or the player are launched vertically by springs.
(Diagonal and horizontal springs will continue to not affect their horizontal momentum.)

- Clone-to-cacti collision fix

- Clones no longer die multiple times when you fall into a pit and you should no longer be rewarded points for doing

- Clones now jump with you when jumping of/from carrier type objects

- Clones now face the same angle the player is facing when they're carried

- Clones spawn afterimages when the player has the speed shoes power-up and sparkles when the player has invincibility power-up

- Clones die in pit

Character Specific Updates

- Amy clones will continue aerial hammer attack after hitting an object in mid-air

- Fixed issue with Tails bot player having its own table for clones

- Fang clones no longer able to bounce when original has stopped bouncing

Level Interaction & Mapping Stuff

- Clone breaking FOF floor implemented, fixed an incorrectly placed variable and made it so that Fang and amy can break FOF floors that they're on top of (same should apply to ceilings if gravity is reversed)

- Due to how the table of clones was setup, if you had one clone missing and an incomplete table (not having all 4 entries filled),
then if you were to break two cherry monitors at once, an error will occur and only one clone is spawned after breaking the two monitors.

- Shatter/Bustable FOF blocks that are linked to a trigger linedef executor works with clones now.

- Additional mapping features added in order to have the clones trigger effects that only the player could trigger.

Spoiler: Credits
1) Credits to #scripting channel peeps on Discord, for helping with the following:
- operation tips (Tatsuru)
- bitwise operation explanation (Monster Iestyn)
- solving the sprite error issue with Amy and Fang's abilities, by explaining how certain player variables related to the
player's state (like anim_duration, tics, etc.) work (Monster Ieystyn and... I forgot the rest I'm sorry ;_; )
- assigning MF_PUSHABLE flag to copies to trigger a specific linedef executor (Zipper)
- appropriate setup for storing multiple player clones in a table (Zipper, Golden, LJ Sonic, Kayasako)

2) Credit to Zolton for the double cherry monitor sprites

Download Now

File Type: pk3 L_DoubleCherry(play)-v2.1.pk3 (11.7 KB, 1414 views)
File Type: zip L_DoubleCherry(editor)-v2.1.zip (14.6 KB, 466 views)

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20002.png
Views:	31
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	33657   Click image for larger version

Name:	TVCH example.png
Views:	4277
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	33658  

Supporters / CoAuthors

Show Your Support

• The author of this addon has given explicit permission for its content to be re-used and/or reproduced.

Comments
Old 07-01-2020   #22
WellDoneSnake
Formerly "TSDude"

Default Version 2.1 is up!

Update! See the first post for more details.

Spoiler: Changelog v2.1
General Clone Fixes

- Clones now show a bit more independent behaviour when either they or the player are launched vertically by springs.
(Diagonal and horizontal springs will continue to not affect their horizontal momentum.)

- Clone-to-cacti collision fix

- Clones no longer die multiple times when you fall into a pit and you should no longer be rewarded points for doing

- Clones now jump with you when jumping of/from carrier type objects

- Clones now face the same angle the player is facing when they're carried

- Clones spawn afterimages when the player has the speed shoes power-up and sparkles when the player has invincibility power-up

- Clones die in pit

Character Specific Updates

- Amy clones will continue aerial hammer attack after hitting an object in mid-air

- Fixed issue with Tails bot player having its own table for clones

- Fang clones no longer able to bounce when original has stopped bouncing

Level Interaction & Mapping Stuff

- Clone breaking FOF floor implemented, fixed an incorrectly placed variable and made it so that Fang and amy can break FOF floors that they're on top of (same should apply to ceilings if gravity is reversed)

- Due to how the table of clones was setup, if you had one clone missing and an incomplete table (not having all 4 entries filled),
then if you were to break two cherry monitors at once, an error will occur and only one clone is spawned after breaking the two monitors.

- Shatter/Bustable FOF blocks that are linked to a trigger linedef executor works with clones now.

- Additional mapping features added in order to have the clones trigger effects that only the player could trigger.

Old 07-06-2020   #23
Amphany

why use tails and sonic, when you have cap'n crunch OOPS aLL sonIC
Amphany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020   #24
Katmint

This is pretty neat. Double cherry is one of the best powerups and I'm still salty it wasn't in Mario Maker 2.

A significant thing I miss from the source material is the capability for clones to replace the original when the original gets hit. Removing the player mobj sounds like a bad idea but you could probably fake that effect by using a ShouldDamage intercept to swap the player's position with a clone, and then destroy said clone in their place.
Katmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020   #25
DakotaSpine
Purple Peacock Pierre

The s q u a d
DakotaSpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020   #26
SSNCaleb
Hey kid, want some milk?

Just looking at the gameplay, this monitor is very interesting. I have one issue though, the monitor icon is the cherry from Pac-Man. I know this isn't a accurate representation of the Double Cherry in SM3DW, but Pac-Man didn't use those kinds of cherries.
SSNCaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #27
blacc

Finally, I can make my own type of echidna clan that has been in my head for a stupidly amount of time.
Old 1 Week Ago   #28
Ayman
Default What

I tried this with hms and this happen https://www.reddit.com/r/FreeKarma4U...ove_this_later
The gif did not work so check out the link

Last edited by Ayman; 1 Week Ago at 01:40 AM.
Ayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #29
WellDoneSnake
Formerly "TSDude"

I mentioned it in the opening post, the addon is meant to be used with the vanilla characters. This is because the script I made was designed in a way that suits them alone.

Making this script work for every custom character requires a lot of work and I currently don't have the time or motivation to do unfortunately. In fact it would be a lot better to make this a hardcoded feature that tinkers with the bots' code in that case.

The only reason it looks like some custom characters function ok with the current script is due to some of the main copying behaviour (like appearance, animation and a few actions) that's scripted doesn't conflict with a character's custom ability/animation or something else.