SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Releases > Characters

Spyro the Hedgehog [V1.1] Details »»
Spyro the Hedgehog [V1.1]
Developer Last Online: Apr 2020

Version: SRB2 Rating: (1 votes - 3.00 average)
Released: 03-07-2020 Last Update: Never Installs: 1
Characters Single Player Levels SOCs Scripts Sprites/Graphics Is in Beta Stage

My first character mod. I've been working on this for a while, and i'm pretty proud of it. It's still not 100% complete, and there are many known bugs, but I think I've gotten it to a pretty playable state. I present to you...

Spyro The.. uhh.. Hedgehog?

Yep, it's a Sonic recolor. Not because I submit bad recolors and pass them off as content, but because I have no idea how to sprite. This 'dragon' has his moveset from the original PS1 game. He can...

Charge:
If you press Spin, you will begin to charge. While charging, you will go faster, and be able to pop monitors and certain enemies. You don't jump as high while charging, though.

Flame:
When you press the Custom 1 button, you will spit out flames from your mouth. These flames can hurt certain types on enemies, and is the #1 Eggman Repellent in Mobius. Keep in mind that you can't flame underwater, and if you try, Spyro just coughs up some bubbles.

Glide:
Unlike Knuckles, Spyro's glide does not kill enemies. When you glide, you can press the Custom 2 key in midair to come to a complete stop, and fall down. You can also charge out of a glide to keep momentum.

Supercharge:
If you charge while you have Super Sneakers, you will blast off at the speed of stupid. You can use this to perform some neat slope jumps.

Invincibility:
While invincible, you turn dark red, mimicing his untouchable colors from the original game.

KNOWN BUGS:
Very sharp turning while charging, charging on a conveyor disables the run animation.

IMPOSSIBLE STAGES:
None, as of v1.1.

IMPORTANT INFO:
Yes, there are some levels with springs that bounce you a far distance, but you don't have enough speed. They are possible though, by not pressing forward or charging. Also, some levels are bugged at the moment and can't be completed. DSZ2 is replaced by an identical version, except the soft-lock room's door is always open.

PLANNED FEATURES:
Sparx, gems, and baskets/vases. Different sprites for flaming, flaming midair, chargejumping, falling while charging, gliding, and glide dropping.

MODDING SUPPORT:
If you want your enemy to be flamable/chargable, make sure to add your MT_ object to the "flamableEnemies" or "chargableEnemies" table.

CHANGELOG:
v1.0 - Initial Release

v1.1
Added the "playstyle" console variable that allows you to switch between Original and Reignited physics styles. Original makes the charge jump weaker, while Reignited makes the charge jump more powerful at the cost of a weaker glide.
Fire breath can now be aimed vertically.
Bug fixes, including being able to charge at the end of the level and glitches involving hang ropes.
CREDITS TO...
Zipper, Tatsuru, Flame, CobaltBW, and Monster Iestyn, for helping me with the coding.
SMS Alfredo, for letting me use his code for breaking bustable blocks from his Yoshi mod.
Tempest, for helping me make the moves feel more like the original games.
Dead, for playing through the game to tell me what levels are possible.
Me, for actually doing something for once.

Download Now

File Type: zip VCL_Spyro-v1.1.zip (1.00 MB, 388 views)

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20070.gif
Views:	1029
Size:	2.25 MB
ID:	27738   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20071.gif
Views:	686
Size:	4.76 MB
ID:	27739   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20072.gif
Views:	441
Size:	5.12 MB
ID:	27740   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20073.gif
Views:	324
Size:	3.64 MB
ID:	27741   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20074.gif
Views:	281
Size:	2.82 MB
ID:	27742  

Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20075.gif
Views:	270
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	27743   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20078.gif
Views:	273
Size:	2.81 MB
ID:	27744  

Supporters / CoAuthors

Show Your Support

• This addon may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without the author's permission.

Comments
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2
D00D64
Worst Ranked 'Kart Player

Welcome to releases!

My awful Twitter account

My also awful YouTube channel
D00D64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3
SockDrawerDoodles

question: if your character can get soft-locked by not being able to jump high enough in two instances, how come you didn't decide to add the double jump from spyro 2?
SockDrawerDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4
Radicalicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by SockDrawerDoodles View Post
question: if your character can get soft-locked by not being able to jump high enough in two instances, how come you didn't decide to add the double jump from spyro 2?
The double jump was an engine exploit in Spyro 2, not a feature. :P
Radicalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5
SockDrawerDoodles

true, but im still suggesting that it could be a workaround
also i hope you can find a good spriter soon, because im loving the potential this has

Last edited by SockDrawerDoodles; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:23 AM.
SockDrawerDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6
Radicalicious

The v1.1 update is now out, which includes many bug fixes and features!
Changes include: Bugfixes, Vertical flame breath, and different physics options.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7
Knightofchao08

I have to ask, where's Spyro's hover? It's one of his core abilities and might could help with some of the softlock problems.
Knightofchao08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #8
time gear

Water was pretty deadly to Spyro in Spyro 1 on account of him not knowing how to swim. However, in Spyro 2 and 3 he was able to remedy this problem. His behavior underwater allowed him to swim via charging underwater, and he had infinite breath. Something akin to this in a future update would probably make this feel more complete.
time gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9
AxelMoon
FM Synthesized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightofchao08 View Post
I have to ask, where's Spyro's hover? It's one of his core abilities and might could help with some of the softlock problems.
His moveset's based around Spyro 1. Hence, pre-Hover.
AxelMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #10
Logan8r
Ice Tails

I think I found a glitch, killing enemies flame breath does not give points.
Charge gives points tho.
Logan8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #11
time gear

Some of (if not all) the enemies in the bonus levels seem to be immune to flame breath.
time gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #12
Radicalicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by time gear View Post
Some of (if not all) the enemies in the bonus levels seem to be immune to flame breath.
Oh, dear. I'm currently using a list off the wiki to determine the enemies, I suppose I better update, lol. Can confirm that this will be fixed in 1.2, though!
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #13
Radicalicious

While I do have a v1.2 update in the works, I've decided to hold it back for quality reasons. Due to the changes made to the code, things are slowly starting to get complicated, and I don't want to release a crappy mod with the numerous bugs popping up. I do plan on fixing up Spyro for multiplayer, though, as well as Battle mod support.