SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Releases > Levels

Circuit Redux ~ Final Demo Maps [v1.2] Details »»
Circuit Redux ~ Final Demo Maps [v1.2]
Developer Last Online: Mar 2020

Version: SRB2 Rating: (2 votes - 2.80 average)
Released: 03-10-2020 Last Update: Never Installs: 0
Multiplayer Levels Scripts

This mod ports and revamps* every Circuit mode map from 1.09.4!
Not all maps are totally revamped to fit modern standards due to lack of motivation...*

I hope to see a community effort to make this mode more interesting because I see potential in increasing the interaction between other players, because I really love playing this mode even in it's current state.

Included with this pack built-in, is Fickleheart's Circuit Redux script and will spruce things up with both the HUD, knowing where you and other players are, and re-spawning if you die. The maps were designed specifically with this pack in mind, so it has the needed waypoints to work with it.

Anyway, I am going to go into detail with what I did to every map and what I've done to make them better than their original revision.
Click image for larger version

Name:	unknown.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	28070

Quicksand Ruins Zone

Name:	MAPR2P.png
Views:	61
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	28061

This zone has a little opening for Tails and Knuckles players to go over that Sonic likely can't, giving them a small advantage. There's also some platforms that rise out of the sand to hinder the average Metal player.

Tainted Gorge Zone

Name:	MAPR3P.png
Views:	5
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	28829

THIS ZONE is the one map I want people to play, I have put almost a week of effort into this one alone! The majority of the map is very different, and I have added new routes and secrets that people can show off with. It might not be my favorite thematically, but it is definitely the best map in the pack and there's more changes than I would be willing to state in a small paragraph.

Fertile Canyon Zone

Name:	MAPR4P.png
Views:	31
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	28063

This has gotten mostly minor touch-ups but it's now raining (a reason to actually have the mud there) and part of the road is now decayed...

Toxic Citadel Zone

Name:	MAPR5P.png
Views:	19
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	28064

This castle has stayed mostly the same, but I have added a new route for Knuckles and Tails to travel through.

Frozen Night Zone

Name:	MAPR6P.png
Views:	2
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	28065

Basically the same, the most I can say is a bit of visual.

Metallic Hall Zone

Name:	MAPR7P.png
Views:	3
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	28066

I took the liberty of adding a safety spring somewhere and some slopes but otherwise this stage is in need of more work eventually...

Heaven Pass Zone

Name:	MAPR8P.png
Views:	18
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	28067

I added a cute fountain with a monitor! Yay!

Sonic Circuit Zone

Name:	MAPR9P.png
Views:	18
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	28068

Even if I had the valor to modernize every single zone I would probably leave this zone alone, feels like it should be the quirky Meadow Match of the pack...

Slumber Circuit Zone

Name:	MAPRAP.png
Views:	22
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	28069

A NiGHTS track! Getting this to work was a pain but I feel proud of getting this one even in a playable state.

Changelogs

Spoiler: v1.1
  • I have raised the open area at the end of Quicksand Ruins and have made some rising platforms to deter Metal players.
  • The harmful water in Tainted Gorge and Toxic Citadel is now green.
  • In Fertile Canyon, I have made the mud goop and have removed the harmful properties from it. I have also made the sloped FOF more forgiving.
  • The water in Frozen Night isn't harmful anymore.
  • I have removed the skybox animals in Heaven Pass, but placed some on the ground. The last checkpoint is also moved ahead to give Fang and possibly others an advantage.
  • Slumber Circuit has gotten a revamp in the texture department to make it look less ugly.

Spoiler: v1.1.1

• Fixed minor sector issues in Heaven Pass

Spoiler: v1.2

• Tainted Gorge has a few visual tweaks, and there are now vertex slopes.
  • Frozen Night now uses different textures.
  • Fixed an issue in Metallic Hall where in some spots if you die, you will infinitely re-spawn in between the conveyor FOF and the ground, resulting in an infinite loop of death. But because of this, a new issue has popped up where players can go under the FOFs.
  • Heaven pass has some texture alignments and a vertex slope.
  • I have fixed the dreaded issue of giant invisible bustable blocks showing up in Slumber Circuit, which has caused extreme lag and usually crashes on lower end systems.

On another note, I plan on working on this pack again eventually, I'm just caught up with other things so I just powered through this one until I was content with the state that it's in.

Download Now

File Type: pk3 VRL_CRFinalDemoMaps-v1.2.pk3 (612.6 KB, 43 views)

Screenshots

Name:	srb20046.gif
Views:	47
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	28072   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20048.gif
Views:	49
Size:	5.90 MB
ID:	28073   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20049.gif
Views:	38
Size:	3.83 MB
ID:	28074   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20052.gif
Views:	34
Size:	6.53 MB
ID:	28075   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20051.gif
Views:	36
Size:	7.38 MB
ID:	28076  

Name:	srb20053.gif
Views:	32
Size:	2.96 MB
ID:	28077   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20054.gif
Views:	25
Size:	2.75 MB
ID:	28078  

Supporters / CoAuthors

Show Your Support

• This addon may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without the author's permission.

Comments
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2
D00D64
Worst Ranked 'Kart Player

It can go into releases, but there's more than one instance in both MEtalic Hall and Slumber Circuit where the Wrong Way message appears even when going through it correctly. Though, I can't really say we have anything against this kind of fault that would prevent release, so it can go into Releases for now. Also, why does Heaven Pass have giant animals in the skybox?

My awful Twitter account

My also awful YouTube channel
D00D64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3
AozoraJustin
AKA Superjustinbros

It's great to be able to experience the Circuit maps again, however I feel after playing them enough times that some need a few minor or major adjustments.

In general, these maps highly favor Sonic and Metal Sonic for the high speeds they can achieve and the general designs of the courses themselves. I know it's a product of the time but maybe if some route alterations and more routes that only the Tails/Knuckles/Amy/Fang racers can take optimally were introduced like in some of the 2.0 Circuit maps to keep up with the hedgehog racers, it'd help them struggle less.

Anyways onto the maps themselves, Apart from the general comments above, there's a few specific elements from individual maps that I think could be looked into.

This floating angled platform in Fertile Canyon is incredibly inconsistent. Either you undershoot the platform and thud into the edge of the platform, either correcting yourself to land successfully on the platform or mistakenly land back down on the ground (possibly into the mud) and lose time, or you completely overshoot it.

Fang can just skip this corner of Heaven Pass and go right onto the skipping stones, only to get buzzed when he crosses the finish line. A map with two useful Fang-cuts (that Tails and Knuckles can also take) has one invalidated because you need to checkpoint on the corner before reaching the finish line.

Speaking of Fang, he and the Tails and Knuckles-runners can get up on the top here and run over the ledges to save a bit of time, it doesn't save a lot since you still need to go in the tunnel to hit the track's only checkpoint, but maybe this could be the foundation of some shortcut only they and Amy with her hammer can take?

(no GIF since it would just be a character looping through the finish banner)
Slumber Circuit takes way too long to be a 4-lapper. Maybe if it was hard-coded to be 2 or 3 laps instead of four it would be much more tolerable and not a boring four-minute slog through texture soup. The NiGHTS-focused objects not respawning over time (except for the bumpers) makes it easy for frontrunners to keep their drill filled and speed further ahead of other racers.

But yeah otherwise those are my thoughts. I hope you decide to continue working with these cause I see lots of potential in re-introducing a long-lost gamemode to SRB2, and possibly add remakes/ports of the 2.0.x Circuit maps as well
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	srb20165.gif
Views:	1107
Size:	3.02 MB
ID:	28038   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20166.gif
Views:	1092
Size:	2.14 MB
ID:	28039   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20169.gif
Views:	1100
Size:	5.98 MB
ID:	28040   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20170.gif
Views:	1086
Size:	2.79 MB
ID:	28041  
AozoraJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4
PencilVoid
Circuit Enthusiast

Quicksand Ruins is my least favourite level in this pack. Metal Sonic can complete four laps of this map in about 40 seconds. I can already envision everyone in the server switching to Metal during the countdown.

Tainted Gorge had a similar issue; Metal Sonic can float over the entire thing. Other than that, this was a pretty decent level, but it could do with the terrain style being hanged to match Techno Hill Zone, and maybe tthe goop colour being changed to green to indicate that it hurts you.

Fertile Canyon felt similar to Tainted Gorge, they were both really tightly packed. I would appreciate it if there was some indication that the black water hurts you. The sloped FOF near the end should be made steeper as well, so it's harder to miss.

I enjoyed Toxic Citadel because it was actually hard to boost through the entire thing. Only criticism I have is that the water should be green like in Black Core Zone Act 3 to indicate that it hurts you.

I liked Metallic Hall as well, the conveyor belts were very fun. Don't have much critisicm for this one, other than that the random grass patches look a bit weird.

I expected to be able to cheese Heaven Pass by floating over the entire thing, but Circuit Redux didn't count my laps unless i was on the ground, so it's cool I guess? The animals in the skybox do look weird though. I would move them to the actual level instead of the skybox.

The hedgehog and his metallic doppelganger have a field day in Sonic Circuit, which is to be expected due to the zone's name. I guess they could have a Stardust Speedway rematch here?

Slumber Circuit must have been easy to balance, lol. I feel like it lasts too long. 2 or 3 laps would be much better. The textures are a bit of an eyesore, maybe you could mix in some "mainframe" textures to break up the emerald textures? Also, some of the parts remind me of Cavern Fortress.

TL;DR: Metal Sonic sucks, it's a shame you have to design around him.
Oh, I nearly forgot, the levels show up in the Singleplayer level select.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	srb20404.gif
Views:	15
Size:	7.51 MB
ID:	28044  

Last edited by PencilVoid; 1 Week Ago at 01:33 PM. Reason: typo
PencilVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5
Zippy_Zolton
Thokkers!

Thank you all for the criticism, it's motivating me to make a little update adjusting to these suggested changes that I feel are necessary. I was also already planning to do the 2.0 Circuit maps eventually, and when I do I will definitely rename the pack for V2 of this mod.

And to indirectly answer some questions because I'm too lazy to quote, there's some "wrong way" bugs because parts of the track overlap each other vertically later on and as far as I can tell, it's not something I can fix with just moving waypoints or making more of them. And yes, I can tell that the good parts of Slumber Circuit were reused in Cavern Fortress, it makes me appreciate both levels more.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6
Zippy_Zolton
Thokkers!

I have pushed through and made an update the same day!! I will list the changes in this comment;
  • I have raised the open area at the end of Quicksand Ruins and have made some rising platforms to deter Metal players.
  • The harmful water in Tainted Gorge and Toxic Citadel is now green.
  • In Fertile Canyon, I have made the mud goop and have removed the harmful properties from it. I have also made the sloped FOF more forgiving.
  • The water in Frozen Night isn't harmful anymore.
  • Metallic Hall is unchanged.
  • I have removed the skybox animals in Heaven Pass, but placed some on the ground. The last checkpoint is also moved ahead to give Fang and possibly others an advantage.
  • Sonic Circuit is unchanged, it is still funny and quirky.
  • Slumber Circuit has gotten a revamp in the texture department to make it look less ugly. Sadly, it still has an issue with unintended crumbling platforms that lag the game when touched. If anyone is willing to find out what causes this for me, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you all for your time helping develop this with your own thoughts and experiences...

---------- Post added 03-13-2020 at 01:50 AM ---------- Previous post was 03-12-2020 at 11:54 PM ----------

Oops! Fixed some issues related to Heaven Pass Zone that I noticed after hosting a server with it.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7
Puppyfaic

ooo...kay. well, i appreciate the lengths you went towards to implement Circuit Redux and attempted improvements at the map design in general, but i have to question why you decided to use Final Demo maps instead of 2.0. pretty much all of these maps show their age by now and it ain't pretty.

that said, good work regardless.
Puppyfaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8
Zippy_Zolton
Thokkers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppyfaic View Post
but i have to question why you decided to use Final Demo maps instead of 2.0.

When I originally started, I didn't even know that 2.0 had different stages, let alone any at all. As I said, I will update it in the future with more maps.
Old 1 Day Ago   #9
Zippy_Zolton
Thokkers!

Updated to v1.2! Changelogs are now in the post.