SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Releases > Lua

Landing/walking/running sounds Details »»
Landing/walking/running sounds
Developer Last Online: Jul 2020

Version: SRB2 Rating: (1 votes - 2.80 average)
Released: 06-06-2020 Last Update: Never Installs: 2
Scripts Re-Useable Content

What does this do?
Have you ever noticed that characters' feet don't make any sounds? Modern Sonic aside, SRB2's characters sort of glide around in an eerie silence. You might not have picked up on that, but your ears did. And now I've said it, you'll never be able to stop noticing.

Get to the point.
This mod adds sounds for when the characters walk, run and land on the ground. Some sounds are shared among several characters, some are unique to just one character. I feel this adds a greater sense of presence to the characters - they feel more like they're part of the world. There is, in a very literal way, more impact.

I think some of these kind of sound like garbage...
I'm not an audio engineer, and I'm not happy with everything I was able to come up with either. If you have any better sounds, please go ahead and suggest them. I'd love to have a lot more variety, I wrote my code with the ability to have it, I just don't have the SFX to fill those slots.

Changelog:
v1.2.1
  • Fixes a spelling error and a redundant line so that the below actually works!
V1.2
  • Custom characters can now define their own footstep sounds, timing and other settings for use with this mod - or even tell it not to give them any no matter what. A template with instructions for use can be found in Lua/FeetSettings.lua - feel free to use that file in your own mod.
  • Using this new system, I've set it so that Modern Sonic now doesn't get footstep sounds from this mod, as he has his own perfectly fine set of feet.
  • Added a new console variable "defaultfeet" to handle what happens with characters which don't have defined feet sound settings. It defaults to 1 (simple sounds, Sonic's timing), and can be set to 0 to make footsteps silent.
V1.1
  • Made Knuckles's feet sounds slightly quieter.
  • Replaced Tails's running sound with the flight sound from S3K.

Download Now

File Type: pk3 VL_FootSounds-v1.pk3 (37.8 KB, 197 views)
File Type: pk3 VL_FootSounds-v1.1.pk3 (22.8 KB, 163 views)
File Type: pk3 VL_FootSounds-v1.2.1.pk3 (24.2 KB, 283 views)

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20015.png
Views:	55
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	32749  

Show Your Support

• The author of this addon has given explicit permission for its content to be re-used and/or reproduced.

Comments
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2
D00D64
Probably Responsible

Welcome to releases.
D00D64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3
MrSolipanto

It's not bad, I like it :). But it would be cool if the walking and running sounds were a little bit more loud.
MrSolipanto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4
Wosh
Idiot

I really like this, it fits really well. One suggestion would be to give Fang Knuckles' footstep sounds as they both have big boots on, I just think it would fit better. Also I really like how Metal has a different sound for boost mode, nice touch.
Wosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5
LuxisLand
I am good enough with 200ms

Pretty good in my opinion!
LuxisLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6
Dabir
Nitpicker

V1.1 is now out.

Changelog:
  • Made Knuckles's feet sounds slightly quieter.
  • Replaced Tails's running sound with the flight sound from S3K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSolipanto View Post
It's not bad, I like it :). But it would be cool if the walking and running sounds were a little bit more loud.
Gave it a try, but if they're too loud they stand out too much. The sounds I have are very simple clicks clipped out of SFX from the Genesis games, so they need to blend in and get a little bit lost in the rest of the soundscape to give the illusion of actually being footsteps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wosh View Post
I really like this, it fits really well. One suggestion would be to give Fang Knuckles' footstep sounds as they both have big boots on, I just think it would fit better. Also I really like how Metal has a different sound for boost mode, nice touch.
Tried it, but I don't think it fits all that well. Knuckles is all about being heavy and solid, he crashes into things head-on. Fang's a more floaty, distant type of character who hardly even touches the ground when he's using his abilities to their fullest. He might have big boots, but they didn't sound right making big weighty thuds.
Dabir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7
NewObedBjs.2020
Srb2 The Best Fangame!

Not bad at all the sounds of footsteps sound very good or decent in my opinion
NewObedBjs.2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #8
softchassis

This reminds me I was going to suggest at the minimum a landing sound be added to the game in the Suggestions thread at some point, because it would help the player know when jumping was an available action again, which wasn't always clear in some cases--this was before drop shadows were added in, which mostly alleviates the issue.

Anyway, good work on the addon.
softchassis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9
Zwataketa
Game Developer in Training

Could this be made to work with mods like Silver? (ie. running sound except when he's dashing since he's hovering in his dash animation)
Zwataketa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #10
Dabir
Nitpicker

That's a very good point. I originally meant to make sure it was compatible with custom characters, but dealing with sound effects was annoying me, so I wound up forgetting.

v1.2 is now available.
Changelog:
  • Custom characters can now define their own footstep sounds, timing and other settings for use with this mod - or even tell it not to give them any no matter what. A template with instructions for use can be found in Lua/FeetSettings.lua - feel free to use that file in your own mod.
  • Using this new system, I've set it so that Modern Sonic now doesn't get footstep sounds from this mod, as he has his own perfectly fine set of feet.
  • Added a new console variable "defaultfeet" to handle what happens with characters which don't have defined feet sound settings. It defaults to 1 (simple sounds, Sonic's timing), and can be set to 0 to make footsteps silent.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #11
Snowy
PersistantRubine

It's still showing as 1.1 in the downloads for me.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #12
Dabir
Nitpicker

Ugh, don't know how that happened. Fixed.