SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Releases > Characters

Jason [Kiki Crusaders] - v1.1 Details »»
Jason [Kiki Crusaders] - v1.1
Developer Last Online: Jul 2020

Version: SRB2 Rating: (2 votes - 3.60 average)
Released: 05-15-2020 Last Update: Never Favourites: 2
Characters Sprites/Graphics

Looks like the overconfident and hammerheaded Kiki Crusader, Jason, has joined the fray!

While he's not a Sonic character, he can prove himself to be much better than Sonic and Co. In fact, he's my own hand drawn character! (Though, that doesn't equate to how good he actually is)
Anyways, how about we get into why this little boy is so overconfident in his abilities?

Coded by the wonderful ManimiFire, these bad babies are specifically toggled with the spin button, so players won't have to deal with constant hand cramps from holding the button down.
So, what can they do?

For starters, when spinning into enemies and foes, Jason gets a speed and jump boost that encourages and rewards players to send those badniks flying!

Secondly, these gauntlets can reflect projectiles with proper timing! While he can't reflect EVERYTHING, Jason can still reflect a ton of stuff, so experiment and see what you can get away with!

And finally, it can break spikes and floors!

Though, with so much stuff it can do, there has to be a limit! Don't spin for too long, or else Jason will spin out!

With all of this in mind though, please keep in mind that he currently does NOT have Battle Mod support, so he'll likely break if used in that mode.

In closing, Jason is primarily meant to be a fun and satisfying character to play, and I believe that ManimiFire and I succeeded in pulling that off.

Download Now

File Type: zip VCL_Jason-v1-1.zip (579.1 KB, 730 views)

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20356.gif
Views:	74
Size:	3.82 MB
ID:	31394   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20360.gif
Views:	61
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	31395   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20365.gif
Views:	63
Size:	3.93 MB
ID:	31397   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20366.gif
Views:	52
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	31398   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20368.gif
Views:	56
Size:	2.64 MB
ID:	31399  

Supporters / CoAuthors

Show Your Support

• This addon may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without the author's permission.

Comments
Old 05-15-2020   #2
Inazuma
Let's see you handle this!
Judge

Neat use of Hi-Res! Welcome to Releases!
Inazuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020   #3
Sinny33
Yes. Sonic and Gun exists

Amazing Boi
Sinny33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020   #4
Gameobatts
"Hat Boi" in netgames.

YES, HE FINALLY GOT IN RELEASES! I love his ability and the way that he get's a reward for bopping badniks is a really cool feature. I would prefer if there was a console command to choose the timer (in seconds) till he get's dizzy, but nonetheless, he's a really cool hand-drawn character and I love the use of Hi-Res.
Old 05-15-2020   #5
SpicyHamSamson
Pure of Heart! Dumb of Ass!

I don't know if anyone is having this issue, but when I tried to play as Jason it caused the game to friggin' chug. It was really laggy, and when I tried to spin it got even worse. On top of that, when he got dizzy after spinning too much, he eventually recovered like he's supposed to, but the screen shaking didn't stop happening. I'm on the Mac Build of 2.2.4, so I don't know if that's causing issues, but this seems like a really fun character, and I'd hate for something like this to prevent me from playing him.
SpicyHamSamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020   #6
izzy
ceo of good descriptions

Damn, y'all work quick. I'll add another post (If I can find the button) when I finally try this little guy out.

Couldn't find the button, but anyways, this character is pretty neat. The lack of a jump ability does kinda suck though.

whirl 2.3

Last edited by izzy; 05-16-2020 at 12:25 AM.
izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020   #7
Daviroll_Limit
SEIBAAA!

very interesting character in terms of sprites and gameplay, however, a single problem: the confusion comes too quickly, making jumps with ramps difficult to timing, for the rest he is an ok character
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20325.gif
Views:	42
Size:	6.08 MB
ID:	31434  
my discord name: 「デビッド~」|PC-98|#4594 (i know, very original)
My Twitter Account (fixed the link, plus the account is no more on hiatus)
Daviroll_Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020   #8
NewObedBjs.2020
Srb2 The Best Sonic Fangame

I found two bugs about Jason he can remove Brak Eggman's electrical texture once you do the spinning attack on him this is normal i guess...and the other bug if you hit a cactus...then you get stuck forcing yourself to restart the level I really dont know if it would be fixed so just in case what I sent \_(ツ)_/

Last edited by NewObedBjs.2020; 05-16-2020 at 03:53 PM.
NewObedBjs.2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020   #9
FlyingNosaj
E

A new update has been released, version 1.1 to be exact!
This update should fix Jason getting himself stuck in cacti and removing Brak's electrical shield.

As for this, however..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyHamSamson View Post
I don't know if anyone is having this issue, but when I tried to play as Jason it caused the game to friggin' chug. It was really laggy, and when I tried to spin it got even worse. On top of that, when he got dizzy after spinning too much, he eventually recovered like he's supposed to, but the screen shaking didn't stop happening. I'm on the Mac Build of 2.2.4, so I don't know if that's causing issues, but this seems like a really fun character, and I'd hate for something like this to prevent me from playing him.
This is an unfortunate side effect to Jason using hi-res sprites, similar to how the game will start slowing to a crawl if Jason turns around in the NiGHTS special stages too much.
Until Hi-res itself is optimized, there's no known way to fix these lag problems besides lowering your resolution.
FlyingNosaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020   #10
MADVAL2

This character reminds me of that commercial here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6TavVzx-Yw
MADVAL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020   #11
Goldenhog
Wandering Protagonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingNosaj View Post
This is an unfortunate side effect to Jason using hi-res sprites
I wouldn't bet on it. I have performance issues with Jason too, though they're not nearly as severe as SpicyHamSamson's. I've actually opened him up and replaced all the hi-res sprites with regular-res ones from other characters and the problems remained.

It's more likely the Lua script. I don't know if there's some specific part or function that's causing slowdown but from the quick glance I gave it, the whole thing seems unoptimized in general.
Goldenhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020   #12
FlyingNosaj
E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenhog View Post
I wouldn't bet on it. I have performance issues with Jason too, though they're not nearly as severe as SpicyHamSamson's. I've actually opened him up and replaced all the hi-res sprites with regular-res ones from other characters and the problems remained.

It's more likely the Lua script. I don't know if there's some specific part or function that's causing slowdown but from the quick glance I gave it, the whole thing seems unoptimized in general.
During private netgame sessions before Jason had released, nobody had reported any performance issues. So it could be a computer problem, conflicts with another character, or just an issue with SRB2 itself. I'm not a coder though, so I don't know how optimized the code actually is, but ManimiFire has told me that he checked everything before release.

That being said, if anyone can pinpoint the cause of the problem, that would be very much appreciated.
FlyingNosaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020   #13
Eis-Kold
Freelance Bug Hunter

Lovin' this character. He has a unique, yet simple enough playstyle that makes him fit in just right.

Bug reports:
Before the update, I accidentally forgot to report this bug. Whoops.
Spoiler:

Now that the update is out, though, we may have something worse...

If the GIF is too fast for you to tell, spinning into the fence causes Jason to get soft-locked inside of it. He can't move any direction besides left or right. Not shown in the GIF: jumping squashes him, causing him to lose a life.
There's a similar bug with fences that are unable to get into (that one is only accesible due to a small ledge). Jason is stuck, but if the camera is turned in the opposite direction and forward is held, he can escape. I haven't tested to see where else these issues can occur, but they are problematic.
Eis-Kold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #14
Icy Dragon

I think you should make the dizzy meter reset when you hit an enemy. It's really unsatisfying to be stopped in the middle of hitting a bunch of enemies in a row.

Last edited by Icy Dragon; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:49 AM.
Icy Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote