SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Releases > Custom Gametypes

SRB2 Tron (SRB2T) [v2.3.1] - Tron meets SRB2 Details »»
SRB2 Tron (SRB2T) [v2.3.1] - Tron meets SRB2
Developer Last Online: Dec 2020

Version: SRB2 Rating: (2 votes - 3.60 average)
Released: 03-25-2020 Last Update: 04-04-2020 Favourites: 7
Multiplayer Levels Scripts Re-Useable Content Sprites/Graphics

The classic gameplay style of Tron's Light Cycles makes an appearance in SRB2.

You're constantly moving forward, you don't stop once you enter the game. Your goal? Outmaneuver your opponents as you move in a maze like pattern. Try to force the enemy into walls and even your own jet trail, while simultaneously avoiding their own trails!

Be careful though, you can die by your own hand as well.

Features?
  • Custom Game mode, separate from Match, CTF, etc.
  • Abilities have been disabled for the most part. No spin rolling, flying, or climbing, etc.
  • No weapon ring firing, however you can use the weapon rings in other meaningful ways! Full list of ring replacements below:
    • Auto Rings - Hold this button to give your character a temporary speed boost. 2 rings are drained per second.
    • Bounce Rings - Passive ability. Gives you a "Safety" shield so you can collide with the wall and other player's trails and not take damage.
    • Scatter Rings - Hold this button to widen your trail with Phantom objects. Like the Auto Ring replacement, 2 rings are drained per second.
    • Grenade Rings - Press this button to spawn two Trail objects that orbit your character and function similarly to that of an extended shield.
    • Explosion Rings - Press and hold this button to "Charge" up a Kamikaze explosion that kills you and other players around you. You must charge this ability for 3 seconds before you can use this ability.
  • You're constantly moving forward. You spawn a jet trail behind you that can harm both you and your opponents.
    • Opponents running into your trail with net you 100 points, self inflected kills (and running into walls) will subtract -50 points from your total score.
  • Rings serve a special purpose in this game mode. Please refer to the v2 changelog below for the full list of changes.

Controls
  • Everyone is locked to a control style similar to that of the Snake game concept. Turning is dictated internally with the sidemove button command. Pressing left will turn you 90 Degrees to the left, pressing right will turn you 90 degrees to the right.

What's included?
  • Custom TypeOfLevel options - This mod features a custom TypeofLevel "Tron" that you can give your custom map to give the above listed features to a map.
  • Custom Maps
    • MAPTN - Made by Flame
    • MAPRR - Made by Nev3r
  • Custom Music - O_MAPTNM

Custom Map support?
  • Yes! Simply add a custom TypeofLevel "Tron" to your level header.
  • If you intend to make custom maps made for this gametype please prefix your level with a Tr_* for "Tron". Eg, "Tr_MyTronMap-v1.wad".
  • When making custom maps, please keep your objects as perpendicular as possible to one another. See the reasoning in Issues, problems, bugs?

Changelog
Spoiler:

v2.3.1
  • Fixed the Kamikazee explosion from not functioning as intended if a player's 'mo' object spontaneously disappears, or is not present at the time of a distance check.
v2.3
  • Fixed slope collision. You will no longer collide with slopes the same way you would collide with walls.
v2.2
  • Adjusted Height offset for a Scatter Ring panel in Rumble Rock Zone.
  • Additional check for MF_SOLID objects that wasn't present before.
  • MF_SOLID objects are now treated similarly as if you hit a wall.
v2.1
  • Adjusted respawn timer so players can better react out of spawning in a level.
v2
  • Tron Trail objects size doubled to accomodate for players wildly passing through them.
  • New Map: Rumble Rock Zone, by Nev3r. He had a version of Tron in the works, and it was something I only found out recently! He gave me permission to release this.
  • New Asthetic Changes:
    • Respawning now has a fancy delay. Thank you to Kart Krew VelocitOni for allowing me to use your graphics!
    • Removed ring pickup invulnerability. Red rings now have no special purpuse currently other than providing ammo to your other weapons.
    • Removed SF_DASHMODE for characters that posess this ability; Thinking to return it in a later release.
    • Pressing the Spin key will also allow the use of the weapon you currently have selected.
  • Weapon Ring Revamp! Save for red rings, weapon rings now have a purpose in Tron! Additionally, there are new Graphics for the below Weapon ring changes:
    • Auto rings now grant a temporary boost forward with a quarter of a second of invulnerability. Hold the attack button down to go further.
    • Scatter rings have been replaced with phantom player objects to widen your trail. Hold the attack button for the wider trail to last longer.
    • Bomb rings have been replaced with a Kamikaze function. Hold the attack button for a few seconds to blow up and affect those in your range.
      • The Kamikaze will net you -50 points for a self-inflicted kill, but any other player kill will net you 100 points each.
      • Additionally, any player currently "Charging" their Kamikaze attack will alert any nearby player in his/her range. Run away if you can!
    • Bounce Rings are a passive! You cannot fire these by default. Collecting a Bounce ring will act as a "Safety" and bounce you off a wall if you were to collide with one. Bouncing off a wall drains one ring and bounces you 180 degrees from whichever direction you're facing!
      • Bounce rings also act as a passive for passing through enemy Tron Trails. These drain one ring and one one ammo upon collision and grant temporary invincibility. If you have no rings however, this won't work!
    • Grenade rings have been replaced with an orbiter shield. Get people to collide with an orbiting obstacle you can produce!
    • Rail rings have NOT YET been replaced yet. But hopefully I can replace them with something better in a future update.
  • Kill counter has been implemented! (Hidden from normal Player view)
    • Kill players, and your trail shrinks for the number of kills (Max. 3 kills) to help level the playing field with a bigger number of players.

v1
  • Initial Release

Issues, problems, bugs?
  • The code that is used for wall collisions doesn't detect you colliding with a proper "Line" if moving at a 45 Degree angle towards the wall. The code detects that you're colliding with something, but that something isn't necessarily a "wall" or a "line". This is most prominent in the vanille Thunder Citadel map.
  • I haven't seen any other functional problems that would cause the code to suddenly stop working. However, if you do find anything that causes the code to behave erratically, please report it. including what you were doing at the time of an error helps me in finding out the source of the problem.

I hope you enjoy playing this as much as I did making it.

Download Now

File Type: zip ZTr_Tron-v2.3.1.zip (4.16 MB, 1063 views)

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20246.gif
Views:	8046
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	28701   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20132.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	28703   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20138.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	28704   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20250.gif
Views:	228
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	28723   Click image for larger version

Name:	perpendicular-also.png
Views:	298
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	28834  

Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20294.gif
Views:	279
Size:	3.54 MB
ID:	29165   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20283.gif
Views:	176
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	29166   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20281.gif
Views:	211
Size:	3.43 MB
ID:	29167  

Supporters / CoAuthors

Show Your Support

• The author of this addon has given explicit permission for its content to be re-used and/or reproduced.

Comments
Old 03-30-2020   #2
Prime 2.0
Permanently Banned

Welcome to releases!

Custom maps made for this gametype should be prefixed Tr_ for "Tron". Eg, "Tr_MyTronMap-v1.wad".
Prime 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020   #3
Lucario_
Lucario

Looks great. Except for the trail, the trail shouldn't disappear to be more like Tron's Light Cycles.
Anyway, good job!

Lucario - The Aura Pokémon
Lucario_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020   #4
tylerwolf99

how to load the mod in zone builder ?
tylerwolf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020   #5
NAR the Fox
Self-taught Lua Amateur

Quote:
Abilities have been disabled for the most part.
Unfortunately, this does not apply to Metal Sonic's dashmode.
This can be fixed with the following code:
Code:
addHook("ThinkFrame", do
for player in players.iterate // Iterate across all players
if player.valid = true then // Check if the player is valid
if player.charflags & SF_DASHMODE then // Check if the player has Dashmode
player.charflags = $ - 2048 // Get rid of that disgusting dashmode!
end
end
end
end)
Quote:
No spin rolling,
That is until you hold Spin while in the air.

Last edited by NAR the Fox; 04-02-2020 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Forgot a space.
NAR the Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020   #6
Flame
"It's ok, I like you too!"

Hey All, version 2 has been released! With it comes a plethora of changes to hopefully make use of most, but not all, of the weapon rings.

Changelog
Spoiler:

v2
  • Tron Trail objects size doubled to accomodate for players wildly passing through them.
  • New Map: Rumble Rock Zone, by Nev3r. He had a version of Tron in the works, and it was something I only found out recently! He gave me permission to release this.
  • New Asthetic Changes:
    • Respawning now has a fancy delay. Thank you to Kart Krew VelocitOni for allowing me to use your graphics!
    • Removed ring pickup invulnerability. Red rings now have no special purpuse currently other than providing ammo to your other weapons.
    • Removed SF_DASHMODE for characters that posess this ability; Thinking to return it in a later release.
    • Pressing the Spin key will also allow the use of the weapon you currently have selected.
  • Weapon Ring Revamp! Save for red rings, weapon rings now have a purpose in Tron! Additionally, there are new Graphics for the below Weapon ring changes:
    • Auto rings now grant a temporary boost forward with a quarter of a second of invulnerability. Hold the attack button down to go further.
    • Scatter rings have been replaced with phantom player objects to widen your trail. Hold the attack button for the wider trail to last longer.
    • Bomb rings have been replaced with a Kamikaze function. Hold the attack button for a few seconds to blow up and affect those in your range.
      • The Kamikaze will net you -50 points for a self-inflicted kill, but any other player kill will net you 100 points each.
      • Additionally, any player currently "Charging" their Kamikaze attack will alert any nearby player in his/her range. Run away if you can!
    • Bounce Rings are a passive! You cannot fire these by default. Collecting a Bounce ring will act as a "Safety" and bounce you off a wall if you were to collide with one. Bouncing off a wall drains one ring and bounces you 180 degrees from whichever direction you're facing!
      • Bounce rings also act as a passive for passing through enemy Tron Trails. These drain one ring and one one ammo upon collision and grant temporary invincibility. If you have no rings however, this won't work!
    • Grenade rings have been replaced with an orbiter shield. Get people to collide with an orbiting obstacle you can produce!
    • Rail rings have NOT YET been replaced yet. But hopefully I can replace them with something better in a future update.
  • Kill counter has been implemented! (Hidden from normal Player view)
    • Kill players, and your trail shrinks for the number of kills (Max. 3 kills) to help level the playing field with a bigger number of players.

v1
  • Initial Release
  `ヽ_っ_/ ̄ ̄ ̄/
       \/___/

Last edited by Flame; 04-04-2020 at 08:45 AM.
Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020   #7
Flame

Version 2.1 has been released.

Changelog
Spoiler:

v2.1
  • Adjusted respawn timer so players can better react out of spawning in a level.
  `ヽ_っ_/ ̄ ̄ ̄/
       \/___/

Last edited by Flame; 04-04-2020 at 09:35 PM.
Old 04-13-2020   #8
Flame

Version 2.2 has been released.

Changelog
Spoiler:

v2.2
  • Adjusted Height offset for a Scatter Ring panel in Rumble Rock Zone.
  • Additional check for MF_SOLID objects that wasn't present before.
  • MF_SOLID objects are now treated similarly as if you hit a wall.
  `ヽ_っ_/ ̄ ̄ ̄/
       \/___/
Old 05-11-2020   #9
Flame

Version 2.3 has been released.

Changelog
Spoiler:

v2.3
  • Fixed slope collision. You will no longer collide with slopes the same way you would collide with walls.
  `ヽ_っ_/ ̄ ̄ ̄/
       \/___/
Old 05-20-2020   #10
Flame

Version 2.3.1 has been released.

Changelog
Spoiler:

v2.3.1
  • Fixed the Kamikazee explosion from not functioning as intended if a player's 'mo' object spontaneously disappears, or is not present at the time of a distance check.
  `ヽ_っ_/ ̄ ̄ ̄/
       \/___/
Old 06-25-2020   #11
antonretrojr

Welp. I'm the first one to message this thread in a while.
Old 08-09-2020   #12
ErickCiberBits

Similar to Slither.io
ErickCiberBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020   #13
NAR the Fox
Self-taught Lua Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErickCiberBits View Post
Similar to Slither.io
Not quite. Slither.io isn't locked to a grid, and like the famous time-killer Snake, your "tail" follows you wherever you go. In Tron (and by extension, SRB2Tron), you're always locked to a grid, with your trail never disappearing. Some modifications of Tron allow the trail to disappear after a while, but this isn't the same concept of it following you.
Old 08-11-2020   #14
ErickCiberBits

Deleted Message

(ErickCiberBits received an infraction for this post: Do not cuss out other members)

Last edited by ErickCiberBits; 10-21-2020 at 10:36 PM. Reason: I Apologized with NAR The Fox
Old 08-11-2020   #15
Ackeneister
A SRB2 Fanatic

Quote:
Fucking You
😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠 😠😠You are Fucking Snake Fucking
WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH, calm the hell down, dude.

Stop with the emoji spam, will ya?
Changed SRB2 IGN back to StinkyBinkyDink, Spooktober is over.
Ackeneister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020   #16
FishandChips
AKA Mario Wumpus!
Tempbanned (Strike 1)

Seams like power lines Io. It’s single player snake but it’s multiplayer and if you are rubbing right near a player you get a speed boost. Basically slither.io on a grid. And the speed boost part too. Also like regular snake you can also Game Over if you go into your self.
FishandChips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020   #17
ErickCiberBits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackeneister View Post
WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH, calm the hell down, dude.

Stop with the emoji spam, will ya?
Ackeneister i multed by The comment 😭😭😭
Old 08-15-2020   #18
Ackeneister
A SRB2 Fanatic

Quote:
Ackeneister i multed by The comment 😭😭😭
Quote:
multed
Okay, now you're given 2 options. Either:

1) Apologize to NAR, and delete the offensive message.
2) Keep cussing like the idiot you are, and maybe even get tempbanned.

...And do I even have to bring up one of the rules here...?
Changed SRB2 IGN back to StinkyBinkyDink, Spooktober is over.
Ackeneister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020   #19
ErickCiberBits

Sorry NAR The Fox.

Quote:
I Apologize NAR The Fox