SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Releases > Levels

Scarlet Palace + Details »»
Scarlet Palace +
Developer Last Online: Nov 2020

Version: SRB2 Rating: (2 votes - 3.80 average)
Released: 11-15-2020 Last Update: Never Favourites: 2
Single Player Levels Multiplayer Levels Re-Useable Content

Yep, it's that level from KIMOKAWAIII, remade from scratch and enhanced for 2.2

Spoiler: Boring Backstory
I don't exactly remember what or who inspired me to make this, all I remember is that one day I just went "Damn this level aged pretty bad, I really need to improve this to fit 2.2 standards", and so this began. I worked some days over the original map file, until I realized a complete remake would be the best option. Due to the pandemy and quarantine I spent most of may/june working on it most of the day. Eventually the combination of my passion for the map, unhealthy amounts of coffee with a pinch of self-loathing drove me to push everything to the limit, I didn't want ths to be just a simple port. I started to toss around a lot of ridiculous ideas for stuff to add to the map, from simple non-euclidean rooms, to multiple acts with a boss fight at the end. Eventually I realized I lack the skill and knowledge to implement some of these ideas, so I started to lose motivation on this, working less and less each day. Around July, for reasons I prefer to not talk here, I left the community, putting the last nail on the map's coffin.
Fast foward a few weeks ago I was doing a cleanup on my PC, when I found the files for the map remake. I decided to launch it on zone builder to see how much progress was made before I tossed everything to the trash. To my surprise, as a simple enhanced port it was around 80% completed. After a brief meditation I decided it was probably for the best to finish this map, after all, leaving behind all that progress I made around june would be a waste, and knowing me I probably wouldn't sleep with a clear mind until this was done. So it began again, I deleted most of the weird experiments I wanted to implement and completed what was missing.
So here it is, isn't exactly the 'full' thing I was planning back then, but I hope it delivers a nice experience for those that play this level for the first time, and a fresh one for those that played it before.

For those that haven't played the original, the map is more or less an emerald hunt around a surreal palace. If you're a curious one you might find more than emeralds, probably leading to a different outcome...

Credits:
Sonic Team Jr. - most of the base textures, I recolored them to fit the level palette.
TelosTurntable - Her sprites.
My coffee - Keeping me motivated

Music used: DJMAX RESPECT - Miles (By Electronic Boutique)

Happy Hunting!

Download Now

File Type: pk3 VS_ScarletPalacePlus-v1.pk3 (4.02 MB, 880 views)

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20000.png
Views:	151
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	42103   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20001.png
Views:	137
Size:	286.6 KB
ID:	42104   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20002.png
Views:	130
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	42105   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20003.png
Views:	127
Size:	243.7 KB
ID:	42106   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20004.png
Views:	130
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	42107  

Supporters / CoAuthors

Show Your Support

• The author of this addon has given explicit permission for its content to be re-used and/or reproduced.

Comments
Old 11-16-2020   #2
Larz T
Siced
Judge

One of my favorite levels from SUGOI 3. Fantastic visuals, ambience, and I really love the level design a lot. It's a shame that this updated version isn't going into be in SUGOI Ultimate due to complications with some objects but regardless, it's nice to see this again. Welcome to releases!
YouTube

Larz T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020   #3
MK.exe
The one and only!

Ooo fancy, didnt expect this. Guess we might see this in the Sugoi port? Maybeno?
Old 11-16-2020   #4
BravenwolfTFS
Braven

Where is Chen?! What have you done?! Noooo! My favorite meme photo spot!
Old 11-16-2020   #5
Rumia1
Backseat Developer

Are you going to submit this for the official SUGOI trilogy port project?
Rumia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020   #6
Princess Draykon
Plush Princess

The striking visuals and beautiful atmosphere made this one of the most memorable SUGOI maps to me, and that holds here too. The style plays especially well with the secondary objective of solving the 'mystery'- which feels more fleshed out and engaging this time around. (I like the touch of the little giggle hints this time around.) It's a gameplay style you don't see done often in SRB2, but it works super well here.

I do feel that the enemies spoil the atmosphere though. Frantically dodging arrows kinds of runs counter to the feel of the slow-paced exploration. Though it's a lot better than here the Robohood-spam of the SUGOI version, I honestly suspect the map wouldn't lose much at all if the enemies just weren't there.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed it!
Princess Draykon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020   #7
TelosTurntable
Or, "TelosTurntable"

Heyyy, it's back! And even better than before~!

Very pretty as always, had way too much fun staring at Scarlet Palace NGS! ... And on that note, I shall go do it again.

Last edited by TelosTurntable; 11-16-2020 at 01:22 PM. Reason: "Holy shit! It didn't scale!"
TelosTurntable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020   #8
Jazzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumia1 View Post
Are you going to submit this for the official SUGOI trilogy port project?
Sadly I can't submit this version because it needs some tweaks to be able to coexist within SUGOI (Mostly object related stuff and a different method for completing the side quest). November isn't being generous with the free time, and the deadline for submitting the map ended yesterday. So yeah, sincerest apologies, the SUGOI port will have the old version.
Jazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020   #9
Lach
he/him

Brilliant. I was expecting just to run around for a while and explore the updated scenery, but I was surprised by a very intricate hunt for a second layer of hidden collectibles. I loved figuring out how to get to each one!

Spoiler:
Saw the hint but deliberately walked into a... contradictory room anyway. You thought of everything, huh?
Lach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020   #10
Kwiin
[A person in a place]
Contest Winner

Am I horribly oblivious or am I trapped if I fall in here?

Kwiin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020   #11
Rogerregorroger
Animator

Wow, that Piano.
And the seats look so soft and comfy. Nice.
Rogerregorroger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020   #12
U.Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzz View Post
Sadly I can't submit this version because it needs some tweaks to be able to coexist within SUGOI (Mostly object related stuff and a different method for completing the side quest). November isn't being generous with the free time, and the deadline for submitting the map ended yesterday. So yeah, sincerest apologies, the SUGOI port will have the old version.
Aw, they can't make an exception to make this one work? Its my favorite level in the trilogy!
U.Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020   #13
Kwiin
[A person in a place]
Contest Winner

...If Jazzz asks Sal for a deadline extention they could at the very least retexture the old Kimokawaiii version to have the new textures and skybox.

That's completely up to them if they want to do that though
Kwiin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020   #14
Scoobert
she/her

Where in god's name is the pendant in place of the purple emerald? I must've spent at least half an hour searching for it
Old 11-18-2020   #15
BravenwolfTFS
Braven

What do the pendants actually do?
Old 12-10-2020   #16
NeonSynth
(formerly EggVaan)

Just seen it on Specs server. I love it. Also I felt happiness when hearing the music; glad to see another DJMAX player! ^_^

(I also love VORTEX and Aurora Borealis by Electronic Boutique)
NeonSynth is offline   Reply With Quote