SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Releases > Lua

KHBlast - Release Candidate 1.5.5 Details »»
KHBlast - Release Candidate 1.5.5
Version: RC1.5.3, by Latius (Hybrid Kart Mapper/Porter) Latius is offline
Developer Last Online: Sep 2020

Version: SRB2 Rating: (2 votes - 3.80 average)
Released: 06-28-2020 Last Update: Never Favourites: 8
Characters SOCs Scripts Re-Useable Content Sprites/Graphics

Quote:
In the event I do not log in for a month and cannot be contacted, I give blanket permission for STJr and its appointed staff to coordinate and approve the porting and maintenance of my standard SRB2 releases on the SRB2MB, except where stated otherwise. I reserve the right to ask for those ports to be taken down or replaced if I return. You may not edit my work to create other content (such as Original Characters or Remix Stages) unless specified.
During December 2019, I was imagining what it would be like to include elements from the Kingdom Hearts games into SRB2. And now, seven months on, I have finally finished things to the point where I am content to publicly release this mod in its current Release Candidate state. This... is Kingdom Hearts Blast.

Current Version: RC1.5.5

Kingdom Hearts Blast, or KHBlast for short, is a modification for SRB2 which makes things more combat-focused.

Enemies which normally just take a single hit to defeat will (with a few exceptions) no longer take just one hit to be dealt with, but by gaining score (which is KHBlast's XP system) and levelling up, you can deal more damage with each hit. But this goes both ways, as Sonic and company now have their own health which allows them to take more hits than they'd otherwise be able to take.
Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20234.png
Views:	724
Size:	222.3 KB
ID:	33701

There are 6 difficulties in KHBlast, of which you can choose one at the start of a new game through the Station of Awakening. Each one modifies the damage you take, the max HP you have and/or the HP of your foes. You start with just Beginner, Standard and Proud, but on clearing the game you can try out Critical or even the (in)famous EXP Zero difficulty. And using the Ultimate Mode cheat allows you to access the hidden Ultimate Difficulty.

Name:	srb20244.png
Views:	552
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	33700

Name:	srb20246.png
Views:	362
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	33702

You don't just gain stats by levelling up, however. By defeating bosses and collecting Chaos Emeralds, you can improve your HP and/or RP so that you can take more hits or use more Magic.

Speaking of Magic, KHBlast has a command menu system. You can use PageUp or PageDown to scroll up or down the command list, Custom 2 to switch between Magic and Items, and Custom 1 to use the selected Item or Magic spell.

As of RC1, KHBlast has the following spells:
  • Fire - Fires a fireball which deals decent magical damage
  • Thunder - Unleashes a lighting bolt which hits all targets within a given distance
  • Cure - Uses between 2 and 10 RP to heal you and nearby allies
  • Aero - Creates a Whirlwind Shield, or upgrades an Electric Shield to a Thundercoin Shield
  • Haste - Grants Super Sneakers to the user
  • Revive - Uses 6RP to revive nearby downed allies, or 20RP to grant an additional Auto-Life as well as reviving nearby allies

Special Stages remain the same in KHBlast, but you will be notified whenever you pick up a Special Stage Token (which becomes a Drive Token once you get all 7 emeralds) just like you would when getting an Item dropped from a foe.

Name:	srb20249.png
Views:	385
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	33703

Name:	srb20250.png
Views:	295
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	33704

Finally, if you manage to make it to the final battle with all 7 Emeralds, Black Eggman will be stronger than normal, taking more hits to defeat... but in return, you start off with 7 units of Drive Charge. And with Drive Charge and all the Emeralds, you can access the Drive Form - which is basically the Super Transformation, with a full unit of charge being equal to 50 Rings.

Name:	srb20242.png
Views:	396
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	33705

KHBlast also changes up the character select menu, giving details about the character's starting stats and their Drive Form, as well as a little tip. Due to this, if a custom character wants to have their starting stats shown in the character select screen, I would recommend an alternative version (with kh at the end of the prefix, so it would be like CLkh_Buttnick-v1.pk3) with the altered PlayerText. This would also allow them to add their profile sprite to the game, akin to the Sonic ones which I have attached as examples by adding them to the khheadpatch table, which will eventually allow for faces to be displayed based on the current state of the player: Normal, Low Health, KOed, Super or Special. (Right now, only Normal and Low Health are coded in to work)

Name:	srb20243.png
Views:	440
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	33706

Thanks to everyone who had helped out with it, both past and present. I might not remember everyone who did so, but if I do, I'll make sure to put you down as a contributor towards this.

Also, maybe consider joining the SonicD Discord server for future updates for KHBlast?

Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sryder13
It'd be awesome to see some completely custom levels for something like that one day that put more emphasis on taking down enemies to get XP, rather than most of it coming from end of level bonuses. :D
Watch FieryExplosion take on KHBlast RC 1.5.2 as Amy in Critical Mode here!

Download Now

File Type: pk3 Lkh_KHBlast-rc1.3.pk3 (1.55 MB, 101 views)
File Type: pk3 Lkh_KHBlast-rc1.3.1.pk3 (1.55 MB, 48 views)
File Type: pk3 Lkh_KHBlast-rc1.3.2.pk3 (1.55 MB, 254 views)
File Type: pk3 Lkh_KHBlast-rc1.4.pk3 (1.56 MB, 234 views)
File Type: pk3 Lkh_KHBlast-rc1.5.pk3 (1.65 MB, 178 views)
File Type: pk3 Lkh_KHBlast-rc1.5.2.pk3 (1.65 MB, 215 views)
File Type: pk3 Lkh_KHBlast-rc1.5.3.pk3 (1.66 MB, 116 views)
File Type: pk3 Lkh_KHBlast-rc1.5.4.pk3 (1.66 MB, 32 views)
File Type: pk3 Lkh_KHBlast-rc1.5.5.pk3 (1.66 MB, 787 views)

Screenshots

Supporters / CoAuthors

Show Your Support

• The author of this addon has given explicit permission for its content to be re-used and/or reproduced.

Comments
Old 07-02-2020   #22
AxewDragon

A few things I noticed from hosting and such:

Revive, uh, doesn't work. Using it spews out an error, and then it ceases to try and function afterwards
Lua/KH_Command.lua:96: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value)

Another thing is the Homing Thok. It's, pretty unusable on bosses now due to the change in thier, functionality.. At least, I think.

Name:	srb20028.gif
Views:	50
Size:	6.90 MB
ID:	33946

And one final issue is that I noticed is that Callie, SMS and Eggman, whereas they do have stats, they don't have a character Icon for the HUD. Although SMS and Eggman, just don't have one, Callie does, however when I checked for such I noticed the sprite it was calling to was "KH_CALLIE" when the sprite is called "KH_CALLI".

That's about it for bugs, can't wait to see what this becomes in the future. The idea of custom spells and possibly another use for the drive counter outside of a ring count without the emeralds could be very interesting, but you should take this all at your own pace!

-
Edit: A bit more stuff to say:

When going from one level to another in Co-op, it seemingly always spews out an error.
Lua/KH_Health.lua:453: This can only be used in a level!

Due to Sonic now having a Homing Thok, Super Sonic can no longer hover with spin.

Sometimes, seemingly randomly, the information dialogue that appears at the start of levels will just, not work. I can't tell why it doesn't.

And if entering the Stations of Awakening in Co-op, the text for other plays saying the host is selecting the stage (When other players are there) seems to also cover the host's screen. In addition, sometimes the difficulty menu persists to other stages afterwards, still exclusive to Co-op.

Sorry about the edit, but I hope this helps!

Last edited by AxewDragon; 07-02-2020 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Oops more issues
AxewDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020   #23
Latius
Hybrid Kart Mapper/Porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxewDragon View Post
Revive, uh, doesn't work. Using it spews out an error, and then it ceases to try and function afterwards
Lua/KH_Command.lua:96: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value)
Woops, I can see exactly why that's the case. When I commented out Blizzard, I failed to change the others so that their check took into account their new position. That's something I'm fixing in the new patch.

Quote:
Another thing is the Homing Thok. It's, pretty unusable on bosses now due to the change in thier, functionality.. At least, I think.
Attachment 33946
Well, right now, I can't think of a better way to do it without ripping the Homing Attack out of someone else's code or something.

Quote:
And one final issue is that I noticed is that Callie, SMS and Eggman, whereas they do have stats, they don't have a character Icon for the HUD. Although SMS and Eggman, just don't have one, Callie does, however when I checked for such I noticed the sprite it was calling to was "KH_CALLIE" when the sprite is called "KH_CALLI".
Yeah, I don't yet have good sprites to use as the headshots for Buttnic, and hadn't added SMS's one. As for Callie, that's a derp on my behalf.

Speaking of derps, I also had a misaligned Fang hud sprite, but that's fixed now as well.

Quote:
When going from one level to another in Co-op, it seemingly always spews out an error.
Lua/KH_Health.lua:453: This can only be used in a level!
Ah, because I check for a mo. I didn't get a chance to really check netgames that much, but now I've sorted that out. I hope.

Quote:
Due to Sonic now having a Homing Thok, Super Sonic can no longer hover with spin.
That's something which is basically just the side effect of me using Homing Thok instead of the normal Thok.

Quote:
Sometimes, seemingly randomly, the information dialogue that appears at the start of levels will just, not work. I can't tell why it doesn't.
Might be if an item was picked up near the end of the last level. I'm fixing that.

Quote:
And if entering the Stations of Awakening in Co-op, the text for other plays saying the host is selecting the stage (When other players are there) seems to also cover the host's screen. In addition, sometimes the difficulty menu persists to other stages afterwards, still exclusive to Co-op.
Ah, I see why that might be the case - partly due to how I did the checks. I've managed to fix them now, and so it shouldn't be an issue.

SRB2Kart Track Mapper
Latius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020   #24
teacup122

By far one of the most fun I've had with a mod in a long time, I would love to see some more stuff added to this
More Custom Character support
Levels made for this mod
More attacks, both physical and magic attacks
And just more stuff in general
Keep up the good work!
teacup122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020   #25
TeriosSonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latius View Post
Quote:
That's something which is basically just the side effect of me using Homing Thok instead of the normal Thok.
I did a script a few days ago that makes a character have Super Sonic's Hover with any jump ability. I could share it with you if you want. (TeriosSonic#4976 on Discord)
Old 07-05-2020   #26
Jaco Boy

I think this mod is really cool, and adds a new level of depth to srb2. But in my experience, the mod absolutely tanks the fps. More so after Techno Hill. On zones like Castle Eggman, I can normally play without the fps tipping below 30. But when this mod is enabled, im lucky if I can get even 10 fps.
Old 07-05-2020   #27
Emerald-Night
"Good mo- wait a minute..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaco Boy View Post
I think this mod is really cool, and adds a new level of depth to srb2. But in my experience, the mod absolutely tanks the fps. More so after Techno Hill. On zones like Castle Eggman, I can normally play without the fps tipping below 30. But when this mod is enabled, im lucky if I can get even 10 fps.
You're not the only one here who has this problem.
Old 07-05-2020   #28
Latius
Hybrid Kart Mapper/Porter

I doubt I can exactly fix that without turning KHBlast into an EXE mod. I have tried to lessen it by trying to make it where certain things would only do the checks if the mobj is of the right type, but the lag is still there. I'd possibly need to find a way to optimise the code in order to reduce the lag, especially with zones like Castle Eggman. That, or make the jump to making this an EXE mod, although if I was to do that, I would need to make a completely new campaign which works with KHBlast's gameplay.

Anyways, I have decided to add in a modified version of the Starpost Rewards Lua, which adds in the ability to gain RP and/or XP as a potential reward from a starpost. If this proves to be a bit too OP, I will remove it, or at least tweak it so that it'll work better.

SRB2Kart Track Mapper
Latius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020   #29
DededeCultist

This is my new favorite mod and it's fantastic, but I've found a problem. Due to underwater physics and shortened invincibility, the Jet Jaws can combo you forever until you drown. Other than that issue, so far this mod is amazing.
DededeCultist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020   #30
ClassicNC
welp

H E L P

The mod is fun, but I hate the bosses. At least the goop one, mainly because this stuff happens.
The i-frames are fucking horrid. When you fall into lava, spikes etc, you will be punished horribly. Please fix it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	srb20213.gif
Views:	54
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	36768  

Last edited by ClassicNC; 08-21-2020 at 10:51 PM.
ClassicNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020   #31
MauriceOglevie

This mod is such a clever concept. I enjoy it in it’s current state but I have a few things to note:

I feel that Magic Items should match the character who uses them.

Maybe make ‘Haste’ only available to speed characters, Armageddon Shield for power characters and the double shield for flight types since they take the most damage.

It would give each character advantages based on their weaknesses. Having Speed characters being able to create distance between enemies with the Speed Shoes, having the power characters to be granted an Armageddon shield does they can take out hoards of enemies when cornered and allowing flight characters to be able to take an extra hit without losing HP, allowing them to flee from the area,

I’m not sure if it’s possible but it would also add a lot to the gameplay if with each level increase, it will specifically increase the players strength. Sonic’s speed, Knuckles glide speed, Tails’ flight time, Amy’s hearts range etc.

I also really like how this mod lets you find clever and unconventional ways to defeat bots. I never realized how much distance and accuracy with the think mattered until I played this mod. Maybe for higher difficulties, you could make enemies more aggressive or even increase their speed to make things a bit more different than just giving them more health.

You have a great idea here with this mod. I can’t wait to see where else you take it!

Last edited by MauriceOglevie; 08-21-2020 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Had more to say and the format was off.
MauriceOglevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #32
Cabelio
Edgy Trashbag

This is incredibly good of a mod, but there's only a couple problems I constantly run into.

- Enemies grant drive charge on hit, but that is directly attached to rings so its incredibly easy to ensure a perfect bonus, allowing you to hit lvl 20 by the end of GFZ2.

- Lag seems to be related to the ring count in levels... Making levels like DSZ literally unplayable.
Cabelio is offline   Reply With Quote