SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Releases > Characters

Modern Sonic V4 Details »»
Modern Sonic V4
Version: V4.0, by MotdSpork (Mafia? Zombies? Gold spork?) MotdSpork is offline
Developer Last Online: Jul 2020

Version: SRB2 Rating: (17 votes - 4.29 average)
Released: 02-06-2020 Last Update: Never Installs: 26
Characters SOCs Scripts Sprites/Graphics

It's been a long 2 months working on Modern Sonic. What was originally going to just be a port of ModernAbilities turned into an entire rewrite. With brand new effects, sounds, commands and more. It's been a blast making him and I really tried to make Modern Sonic feel authentic without changing his physics to feel out of place for SRB2. Without further ado, Here's ModernSonic!

Abilities:
Spoiler:
HomingAttack/DoubleJump: Sonic's midair ability is determined by if he has something to home in on or not. When near Enemies/Monitors/Springs, Sonic will launch at it with precision. Otherwise, Sonic will preform a second jump which is handy for gaining a bit of extra height or for platforming.

Boost: While on the ground, pressing and holding the Custom 1 button will allow Sonic to boost forward at breakneck speeds plowing and sending badniks flying into the air. You are invulnerable to enemies in this state however spikes, crushers, and deathpits can still harm you.

AirBoost: The air equivalent of the Boost. Use this to gain more distance in the air than you could with the doublejump.

Stomp: Pressing Spin anywhere off the ground will cause Sonic to plummet down to the ground creating a shockwave at the point of impact. This can be used to stop on a dime for platforming and damage enemies, and monitors alike.

Slide: While moving at just about any speed, press and hold spin while on the ground to perform a slide in the direction you are moving. It's essentially a replacement to the spin so use it to get under small gaps that only spinning players would be able to access.

Light Speed Dash: Using Custom 2 near a trail of rings allows Sonic to travel along the trail at "Light Speed". Useful for precise ring collecting or for levels that support the ability for alternate paths.

WallJump: Pressing jump and holding the direction of the wall while Sonic isn't on the ground allows Sonic to leap from the wall in the opposite direction gaining extra height and allowing for continued walljumps to gain heights only Knuckles and Tails can.

Super Sonic!: Using Custom 3 with all emeralds and 50+ rings will transform Sonic into Super Sonic. What new abilities will he have? It's up to you to find out!

Rush Mode: Filling your boost meter fully will have Sonic enter Rush mode granting infinite boost and a snazzy glow effect for a short period of time. Extend the timer by destroying enemies, collecting rings, and doing tricks! Speaking of...

Tricks: Pressing toss flag after hitting springs, steamjets, and dustdevils will have Sonic start performing tricks to fill his boost gauge. Though spamming it will result in diminishing returns. Press Jump or Spin to do the trick finisher rewarding you with even more Boost Energy.

Tips:
Spoiler:
*The Boost relies on Sonic's Boost Energy which can be seen in the meter at the bottom left of the screen.

*Replenish your Boost Energy by collecting rings and destroying/damaging enemies/bosses.

*Holding Spin above a certain speed while stomping will cause Sonic to transfer into a Slide, otherwise it acts as a normal Stomp.

*Holding Custom 1 after Boosting/AirBoosting will decrease the boost drain over-time.

*Boosting or Stomping into breakable FOF's will break them.

*Pressing Custom2 while LightDashing will cause Sonic to cancel the ability.

*While crouching or refraining to boost for 5+ seconds, Sonic will start to gain Boost Energy back. This is especially useful for levels that don't have too many rings or enemies to help replenish the Boost Energy normally.

*Jumping and holding the Jump button while Boosting will slow Sonic's midair speed. Use the Airboost to counteract this!

*The Doublejump slows Sonic's movement speed slightly.

*Stomping onto a spring will yield greater height similar to Amy's hammer.

*The Whirlwind Shield negates the slowdown effects of the Doublejump
and the boost while in the air. It also increases Sonic's Doublejump height.

*Pressing Jump as a trick finisher gives you bonus height.

*With SMS added, Modern can go Mystic Super. In this form you gain unlimited jumps underwater, a stronger Walljump, infinite Airboosts, and unlimited Boost Energy.

Commands:
Spoiler:
FootSteps: Toggles the custom footstep sounds as well with the custom landing/skidding sounds. Use On/Off

Voices: Used to Toggle/Choose the voice actor Sonic uses. Use 0-4 or the Voice actors first name. Choices are Ryan Drummond, Jason Griffith, Roger Craig Smith, or Jun'ichi Kanemaru.

LockOn: Used to toggle the reticle between ModernSonic's custom reticle or SRB2's build in reticle. Use ModernSonic/SRB2

Actionswap: Used to switch the Custom1 and spin actions.

Supermusic: Used to choose which music plays while Super. Choose between Custom, Normal, or Off

Adding Footsteps to Custom Textures:
Spoiler:
Add this bit into any Lua script that you have in your addon

if not ModernSonic_FlatSounds
rawset(_G, "ModernSonic_FlatSounds", {})
end

ModernSonic_FlatSounds["CUSTOMTX"] = "grass"
ModernSonic_FlatSounds["CUSTOMT2"] = "wood"

Replace "CUSTOMTX" with the name of the texture you want it to work for.
and replace "grass" or "wood" with any of the following sound types:

"grass", "dirt", "metal", "concrete", "wood"

Do note that Solid FOF's with a translucency will automatically use the glass sfx and liquids use the water sfx.

FAQ:
Spoiler:
Q:Why does Sonic DoubleJump instead of an airdash?
A:Because I wanted to implement Sonic Colors into this and the Doublejump is great for platforming. Something SRB2 has a lot more of than the modern games.

Known Bugs:
Spoiler:
*Stomping into a "bouncy" sector will cause Sonic's stomp to get stuck. Though it will cancel itself after 3 seconds.

*Sometimes when homing in on an enemy, you can get stuck trying to destroy them...but nothing happens

*Sometimes while boosting on certain Slopes, Sonic can get stuck until you stop boosting.

*Not all textures in the game are indexed for the footsteps. I tried to get all of the ones you happen to "run" into in the main campaign at least.

*Splitscreen is not fully supported.

Credits:
Spoiler:
Man...I Have a lot of people to thank for Modern Sonic being possible this time around.
No longer is he the shitty/buggy version he was in 2.1.
now with new effects, sounds, functions, commands, sprites AND more.
He's more than I ever expected him to be. Especially since he was originally going to just be a direct port from 2.1

Ahem- let's not get carried away.

Golden Shine: Thank you for helping me figure out how to make a lot of the effects look pretty good.
Bug testing early on.
Being a HUGE support when there were times I honestly wanted to give up.
Lending bits and pieces of your own code as well as helping with sounds, knowing you didnt have to but you did to help me succeed.
Thank you for reworking SMS' boost aura to work for Modern. It looks awesome!
Seriously this wouldnt have been possible without you.

MF_NOB(LACH)MAP: Thank you for helping me with so many of my Lua questions.
Special thanks for showing me how to use tables and use rawset among other things.
HUGE thanks for writing the sounds functions (The Footsteps/Voices)

Chrispy: Special thanks to creating and letting me use your SonicCE. A lot of people dont seem to like it but it's one of the better old Modern Sonic's
in my opinion.

Doom Flare: A personal friend. Thank you for making the old sliding frames and the original crouching frames.
Even though you were not getting anything in return, you did it because we're friends...I really appreciate that.

DrStephen: Massive credits to pretty much doing the entire sprite remake. this wouldnt have been finished if it weren't for you...

Inuyasha/K.S.: Thank you for letting me use and modify the transformation script and the laser wisp script from your Sonic Colors Blast 2 script.
This was my solution to not having transformation sprites in the CE Style. Thanks again for the original boss hud script
which this boost meter was heavily edited from.

Badz and Hitcoder: Thank you both for your own renditions of the lightdash and giving permission to use them.
I merged both together for a pretty fluent LSD....at least in my opinion

ManicTH14: Thanks for the original walljump SOC used from your Mighty you were working on. It was used in the 2.1 ModernAbilities
but repurposed and refined for 2.2 Modern up until V4.

Rumia1: Thanks for making the new underwater curl up sfx. It sounds more...echoy

Zipper: Thank you for reducing some code length in the Hud

TrickyTex: Added the new Ring engine sounds. Sounds super cool :)

SMS Alfredo: Made the first iteration of the Rush mode.

Bendy: Thanks for making the original design for the ...Modern redesign. it looks super rad. As well as some of the other sprites in the resprite.

Cyron: Thank you for adding I/O support into Modern. I had no idea what i was doing clearly. Also thanks for giving me the JP voices for Sonic and making my job so much easier.

Soap Surfin': Made the Smash pose trick sprite

Thank you to the Testers: DrStephen, Rumia, Emi, Zipper, and Shine

AAAND Last but not least

My sweet and loving girlfriend: For being supportive and lifting me up to finish this and helping me test early netgames and iron out some of the original larger bugs.
Special thanks for helping me with the new speedometer colors.

Changelog:
Spoiler:

Version 1:
Spoiler:
Initial Release

Version 2:
Spoiler:
*Fixed bug where you would have full control while sliding

*Added the ability to jump out of the initial slide and right after stomping

*Added new sfx for the underwater jump and a new boost sound based on Sonic Unleashed

*The Boost and the AirBoost have seperate sfx

*Adjusted the sfx for the walljump

*Slight code optimization

*Fixed a bug that allowed the homing attack to do double damage to bosses

*Removed Boss flinging as it was too buggy. You will be missed :(

*Increased the range to the lightdash to make activating it more consistent

*New underwater echos for all the sfx except the slide because it barely sounded any different

*New colors for the Speedometer

*Removed duplicate reticle graphics

*Fixed Hudname(which is pointless with the custom HUD) and SpecialStage names

*Buffed acceleration coming out of a homing attack

*Added Actionswap command allowing players to switch the Boost button and the Slide/Stomp button

*Fixed a minor animation bug for SuperSonic on rising platforms

*Fixed an animation bug where getting crushed while crouching didnt change your state to the death state

*Changed the airboost behaviour slightly so if you hold the button to go into the normal boosting, it will continue producing the aura effect as well as start playing the "Jet" sound

*Tweaked some of the ways Modern Sonic interacts with shields

*Made the enemy flinging a lot more consistent

*Flinging enemy directions are randomized

*Added a screenshake effect when boosting or homing into enemies and breaking bustable walls

*The Lightdash can now break monitors too

*Breaking FOF's with the boost now properly restores Boost Energy

*Fixed a bug where enemies would die instead of getting flung

*You now start a level with a full Boost Meter, but dying will reset it back to empty.

Version 3:
Spoiler:
*Some minor bug fixes

*Fixed Super flying not working correctly with Actionswap enabled

*Fixed being able to walljump while lightdashing

*Added BattleMod support! Pressing the fire button will lets Sonic use the Cyan Wisp

*Added the ability to jump out of a painstate if knocked off the edge of a platform

*Fixed a bug with the homing attack that let bounce off of enemies nonstop without killing them

*Adjusted boost regen times slightly

*Changed the end level sign sprite

*Renamed the SPR2_SRUN to SPR2_DASH for compatibility with Jeck's low poly Modern Sonic model

*New character select art thanks to DrStephen

*Sliding gives boost energy properly

*Can no longer doublejump after homing in on a boss

Version 3.1:
Spoiler:
*Removed support for Cobalt's battlemod...it was causing more issues than it was worth. I'll re add it in the future after I recode it.

Version 4:
Spoiler:
*Added new ability Rush mode. Thanks to SMS Alfredo for letting me use the original code and letting me modify it

*Code optimization for the lock on code. Thanks to Zipper

*Remade walljump entirely

*Removed the ability to fling TNT with the boost as it was buggy. Now it just blows up if you boost into it

*Added the ability to perform tricks after hitting springs, steam jets, and dust devils to gain boost energy with special fx

*Complete sprite overhaul

*Minor code cleanup...

*New Boost Aura

*I/O Support has been added

*New command "supermusic". Allows you to choose custom music for super, the default music, or no special music while Super

*Removed bot flinging for multiplayer to reduce desynch...hopefully

*Fixed springs stopping your boost

*Added more textures to the footstep list

*Added Mystic Super support. Gives Sonic Multi-Airboost, Infinite jumpes underwater, no air-friction, improved walljump, and infinite boost

*Added Jun'ichi Kanemaru as a voice actor option

*Added 2 more voice clips for Ryan Drummond

*Changed speedshoes behavior. No longer provides infinite boost but instead makes the boost faster

*Added trick animations after doing a Homing Attack

Download Now

File Type: pk3 VCL_ModernSonic-v4.pk3 (3.63 MB, 9198 views)

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	srb22871.gif
Views:	1552
Size:	7.43 MB
ID:	33043   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb22867.gif
Views:	967
Size:	3.36 MB
ID:	33044   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb22874.gif
Views:	644
Size:	2.90 MB
ID:	33045   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb22875.gif
Views:	618
Size:	2.67 MB
ID:	33046  

Supporters / CoAuthors

Show Your Support

• This addon may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without the author's permission.

Comments
Old 02-10-2020   #42
Darkboy64

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotdSpork View Post
That's actually a bug with SRB2 and not with ModernSonic. as for the homing attack coming to a stop after hitting a spring again, its an SRB2 bug as well. Though for enemies I don't get what the big deal is. It's like that in almost any game to feature the homing attack.
The thing is, almost any game to feature the homing attack also has the air dash. So that pretty much makes the stop when hitting an enemy a non issue. Colors and Forces are the only boost games where Sonic has a double jump.

Last edited by Darkboy64; 02-10-2020 at 01:11 AM.
Darkboy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020   #43
time gear

What if he's given the air dash after the second jump, so you can choose whether you want to double jump and then air dash, or just double jump? Someone also suggested a toggle, I feel like that would also be a fair compromise.

While at first the air dash might not seem as useful for platforming as the double jump, the fact that it brings you straight forward a certain guaranteed distance can be really useful in platforming situations in which you don't necessarily need to gain height. It's especially useful as an error correction tool, such as if you had second thoughts and wish to return to the platform you just jumped from.

Part of me also wishes he had infinite jumps while underwater, similar to Colors. It would probably be a bit overpowered but it would also be incredibly fun to toy around with.
time gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020   #44
Sinny33
Yes. Sonic and Gun exists

I have never seen it in Vanilla Sonic's blue. Nice wad. Have not played it yet but I will soon.
Sinny33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020   #45
Zanda_Sama

I really like the attention to detail of Sonic being able to boost on water, but even more than that... he can slide on water, like how he does in Sonic 2006. Of course i'd like this but of course last long enough for me to reach the spring, I mean sure boost can do this... but it's kinda cool you know. Also I think the Slide should be slightly steerable, at least as much as a spin can be. If possible. Also would like the air-dash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20057.gif
Views:	88
Size:	4.83 MB
ID:	26382  
Zanda_Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020   #46
SSG3
Oh, THAT Youtuber...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanda_Sama View Post
If possible. Also would like the air-dash.
I could think of one way he can do this. Just a suggestion, but when trying to air boost with no boost energy, the player should instead do an air dash, like colo(u)rs does. (Unless he doesn't do that already...)
SSG3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020   #47
Superjustinbros
AKA Superjustinbros

Could you potentially make Modern Sonic's Adventure-style ring pickup sound unique to Modern Sonic or remove it altogether? It's weird seeing it affect every other character's ring pickup sound even when they don't fit the Adventure-style motif (and especially if you load in a custom ring pickup sound before entering a server).
Superjustinbros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020   #48
Zanda_Sama

Or just add a toggle that would replace the double jump all-together with an air-dash. Didn't like it in Forces or Colors... I mean I never played Forces but whatever. Still prefer the air-dash as the A button.
Zanda_Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020   #49
MotdSpork
Mafia? Zombies? Gold spork?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AozoraJustin View Post
Could you potentially make Modern Sonic's Adventure-style ring pickup sound unique to Modern Sonic or remove it altogether? It's weird seeing it affect every other character's ring pickup sound even when they don't fit the Adventure-style motif (and especially if you load in a custom ring pickup sound before entering a server).
This has already been addressed in the update that will be coming soon. It adds 3 slight variations to the ring sound and only effects Modern Sonic. Other characters will still have the default ring sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanda_Sama View Post
Or just add a toggle that would replace the double jump all-together with an air-dash. Didn't like it in Forces or Colors... I mean I never played Forces but whatever. Still prefer the air-dash as the A button.
The reason I don't want to do a toggle is because it will lead to inconsistencies for the character. I want the abilities he has to be accessible any time you're playing as him. He should be a definitive Modern Sonic not a "pick and choose which Modern Sonic you're playing"

Tsumi: OH GOD OH FUCK MIDGET TAILS IS FIGHTING GIGA BRAK
MotdSpork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020   #50
time gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotdSpork View Post
The reason I don't want to do a toggle is because it will lead to inconsistencies for the character. I want the abilities he has to be accessible any time you're playing as him. He should be a definitive Modern Sonic not a "pick and choose which Modern Sonic you're playing"
In that case I personally would prefer for him to have it mapped to "triple jump", or in other words he does the double jump first and then if you press jump again and there's nothing to homing attack, you do the air dash.

It's true Modern Sonic has never done this, but I would rather it over the air dash not being there at all. The air dash and the double jump both have their usefulness so I wouldn't want to replace the double jump with it outright.
Old 02-12-2020   #51
MotdSpork

Updated to Version 2.0! Read the OP for changes!

Old 02-12-2020   #52
time gear

Just a tiny suggestion: It would be nice if we could also get Japanese Sonic as a voice option.
Old 02-12-2020   #53
MotdSpork

I wouldnt know which voice clips to use for the actions. Ive never played with the Japenese voices and don't exactly have the option to.

Old 02-12-2020   #54
Fres
oof

How about the clips from Unleashed? Those could work.
Fres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020   #55
noobmaster69
no noobs allowed

Epicest sonic ever !!!
noobmaster69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020   #56
Frostav

The more I play this character, the more I like him. Combined with the momentum mod, he is absolutely broken (far less strict speed cap means that you only need to tap boost once to stay at top speed), but in a much more fun way than, say, Metal. Also this is a strange praise to give a character mod but he makes stage mods that are a little too overscaled much more fun and bearable since he can cover ground super fast.
Frostav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020   #57
time gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostav View Post
Combined with the momentum mod, he is absolutely broken (far less strict speed cap means that you only need to tap boost once to stay at top speed), but in a much more fun way than, say, Metal.
I actually happen to really enjoy that. When in a situation with a low boost meter, you can still maintain top speed without constantly draining boost provided you don't bump into anything, but at the risk of taking damage if you touch an enemy. It feels balanced, and more importantly it feels satisfyingly rewarding when you can maintain this speed for extended periods of time.

I really wish the official games would learn from things like this. The boost formula clearly has a lot of untapped potential in more open ended level structure.
Old 02-17-2020   #58
MotdSpork

Version 3 is live! Check OP for changelog.

Old 02-17-2020   #59
Rumia1
Backseat Developer

I'm feeling good about this update!
Rumia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020   #60
MotdSpork

Props to whoever can find the easter egg hidden somewhere in Modern Sonic. I'm feeling good about it.

Old 02-18-2020   #61
SCOTT0852

Could we get a console command to swap the custom hud with the original (but with the boost meter) for the next version? I prefer the vanilla hud since it takes up a bit less space than the custom hud for Modern Sonic, but there doesn't seem to be an option to choose which one you'd rather use.