SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Kart Releases & Mods > Kart Miscellaneous

Daytona Kart (Version 1.6.1) Details »»
Daytona Kart (Version 1.6.1)
Developer Last Online: Jul 2020

Category: Version: SRB2 Kart Rating: (2 votes - 3.40 average)
Released: 05-31-2019 Last Update: Never Installs: 3
SOCs Scripts Re-Useable Content Sprites/Graphics

Quote:
In the event I do not log in for a month and cannot be contacted, I give blanket permission for Kart Krew and their appointed staff to coordinate and approve the porting and maintenance of my SRB2Kart releases on the SRB2MB, except where stated otherwise. I reserve the right to ask for those ports to be taken down or replaced if I return. You may not edit my work to create other content (such as Original Characters or Remix Stages) unless specified.

This permission does not include this addon.
DAYTONA!

Welcome to Daytona Kart, a heavily modified form of my Countdown Mode which aims to replicate the feel of arcade game like Daytona USA and Initial D Arcade Stage.

How does Daytona Kart work?

Daytona Kart adds a time limit to the start of the stage, shown at the top of the screen. This shows how much time you have left before you lose control of your car and get a Time Over - if you don't get lucky and cross the finish line before you fully stop, as you gain more time for completing laps.

For the base 55 maps which came with Kart 1.0, the time limits were originally based on the silver medal times for Time Attack, with the Time Extensions being based on the fastest laps for that track. Other maps, like the Map Hell ones and the new community cup, have their times based on some testing. Thanks to some help, most of the maps have better time limits which can be met during normal races.

For custom maps, there is a default 120 seconds with an extra 30 seconds added for each lap completed, but custom map makers (and/or those making map packs for servers) can include two Lua variables to add in to determine these - lua.arcadetime for the base time, and lua.arcadebonus for the time bonus gained for each lap.

However, these base time limits and bonuses can be further modified, as Daytona Kart has 5 difficulty modes:
  • Easiest: Gain a bonus 30% of the base time and time extensions. Great for getting to learn a track!
  • Easy: Only a 15% bonus, but it's good if you're struggling to complete a lap on Normal.
  • Normal: The default Daytona Kart Experience.
  • Hard: Time limits are tighter, with 5 seconds taken off your starting time, and 2 seconds taken off the time you get for completing a lap.
  • Expert: The hardest challenge of Daytona Kart. 10 seconds off of your starting time, and 5 seconds less from Time Extensions. Only for those who are experts at the game.
  • Master: Oh, wait, did I say 5 difficulty modes? Not anymore, as Master Mode is here from Version 1.4 - cutting your starting time by an extra 10 seconds compared to Expert. Otherwise, it's basically the same as Expert.

Heads Up Display:

Custom Variables which the player can alter:
  • arcade_speed: Determines what speedometer type to use. Default Miles. Can be Disabled, Miles, Kilometers, Meters, Fracunits, Knots or Feet.
  • arcade_tenthspeed: Shows or hides the tenths of the speed. Default On.
  • arcade_capto99: Caps the shown time limit to 99. Default Off. (There is a secret setting to this)
  • arcade_placezero: Shows a leading zero in 10+ player races. Default Off.
  • arcade_instupdate: Determines if the timer instantly updates whenever time is added, both at the start of a race and after completing a lap, or if it ticks up at a rate of 5s/4frames at the start, and 1s/2frames once a lap is completed. Default On.
  • arcade_hud: New to Version 1.1, this allows you to determine which HUD mode you want to use. This defaults to the Daytona Hud as shown in the images in this thread, however, there are other settings which it can be set to, with more intended to come in later versions.

Server based Custom Variables:
  • arcade: Turns the Arcade Mode on and off. Default On. (Added in V1.0.2)
  • arcade_diff: Sets the timer difficulty to one of the five difficulties mentioned prior. Default Normal.
  • arcade_sneaker: When on, items will be limited to Sneakers, Thunder Shields, Hyudoros, Invincibility and maybe Kitchen Sinks. Default On.

Current HUD settings:
  • Daytona - The classic Daytona Kart look, with the rev counter and such. Added in Pre-Version 1. Is useable in Splitscreen.
  • WarioLand - Based on Wario Land 4 in a sense, including the classic 'hurry up' timer. Added in Version 1.1. Is useable in Splitscreen.
  • HatInTime - A slightly modified version of the Daytona HUD with the timer from A Hat In Time's Train Rush mode. Added in Version 1.1.1 - thanks to Fav from the Kart Krew Discord for their timer sprite used here! This was removed in Version 1.4
  • BattleMania - Inspired by the Battle on the Edge rev counter but in a Sonic Mania style. Added in Version 1.3. Is NOT useable currently in Splitscreen.

Spoiler: List of Custom Maps which are Daytona Kart compatible and approved:

Spoiler: For Map Makers, Server Owners and Server Admins

DaytonaKart uses a table to determine the time limits of each map. This is split into two parts: the Base Time Limit, which is what the racers start with at the start of the race, and the Bonus Time, which is how much extra time they get per lap.
Map Makers, you can use LUA.arcadetime to set the base time limit and LUA.arcadebonus to set the bonus time. These will be rounded up to the nearest 5s, and have limits - LUA.arcadetime (with one exception) must be between 30 and 180, which represent 30 seconds and 3 minutes respectively, while LUA.arcadebonus must not only be between 10 and 90, but must be smaller than or equal to LUA.arcadetime as well.
If you feel like your map should have a fixed time limit, there are two ways to go about it. The first (and recommended) is to use LUA.noextension - this will automatically give all of the time bonuses from laps before the race starts. This gives the flexibility of allowing servers the ability to change the number of laps and still have a time limit which works out. The second one is to use LUA.arcadeboss - which should only be used if, for example, the map has a built-in time limit which, when exceeded, would end the match instantly.
Server Owners and Admins, you can use the function setmaptime(int map#, int basetime, int bonustime, bool override) to set or override a map's time limit. When a map is first played without their times already stored, their times will be stored in the table, or the default times would be stored in the case of maps with no preset time, but this allows you to either put values in first or (by setting override) override them with your own.

Download Now

File Type: pk3 kl_daytonakart-v1.3.pk3 (829.8 KB, 49 views)
File Type: pk3 kl_daytonakart-v1.3.1.pk3 (834.7 KB, 47 views)
File Type: pk3 kl_daytonakart-v1.4.pk3 (839.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: pk3 kl_daytonakart-v1.4.1.pk3 (839.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: pk3 kl_daytonakart-v1.4.2.pk3 (839.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: pk3 kl_daytonakart-v1.5.3.pk3 (840.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: pk3 kl_daytonakart-v1.5.4.pk3 (840.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: pk3 kl_daytonakart-v1.5.5.pk3 (840.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: pk3 kl_daytonakart-v1.5.6.pk3 (840.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: pk3 kl_daytonakart-v1.6.pk3 (842.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: pk3 kl_daytonakart-v1.6.1.pk3 (842.1 KB, 76 views)

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	daytonakarthud.png
Views:	5991
Size:	294.6 KB
ID:	19664   Click image for larger version

Name:	kart0118.png
Views:	295
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	19666   Click image for larger version

Name:	kart0116.png
Views:	229
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	19667   Click image for larger version

Name:	kart0115.png
Views:	221
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	19668   Click image for larger version

Name:	kart0114.png
Views:	189
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	19669  

Click image for larger version

Name:	kart0112.png
Views:	183
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	19670   Click image for larger version

Name:	kart0111.png
Views:	217
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	19671   Click image for larger version

Name:	kart0110.png
Views:	253
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	19672   Click image for larger version

Name:	kart0198.png
Views:	59
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	31810   Click image for larger version

Name:	kart0253.png
Views:	24
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	32993  

Supporters / CoAuthors

Show Your Support

• The author of this addon has given explicit permission for its content to be re-used and/or reproduced.

Comments
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #22
Latius
Hybrid Kart Mapper/Porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ne_gamer8623 View Post
A slight bug with the Wario Land HUD: On the second frame of GO, the time left increases by 1 second, only for that extra second to be lost on the very next tic.

That's a quirk left over from when I was fixing an even worse bug, but a single frame adjustment is enough to fix that.

And I also found out why something wasn't working right. So once I wake back up, I'll make sure the patch works, and then post it here.

SRB2Kart Track Mapper
Latius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #23
Latius

Version 1.5 is out, which fixes a few bugs, makes the TSR mod more compatible, and even adds a few extra bits for map makers and/or server hosts.

SRB2Kart Track Mapper
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #24
Latius

I thought I got all the bugs - well, seeing a bug means I have to fix DaytonaKart again. I'm only a one-mon dev team right now, you know. So 1.5.1 is out to fix that bug.

Edit: Nope, missed something, so had to patch it again. NOW it should work. I really need to remember when to use gamemap and not just map...

SRB2Kart Track Mapper

Last edited by Latius; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:53 AM.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #25
Latius

I completly forgot to post this, but now DaytonaKart should... mostly work. Still have a bit of an issue with the TSR mod, as somehow it doesn't always shows the time limit...

SRB2Kart Track Mapper
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #26
Latius

Try another!

Well, at least now the timer stuff should be fixed fully now. Seriously, why doesn't the TSR mod reset tsr_finishtimer as well?

SRB2Kart Track Mapper
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #27
Latius

Hey, who was it who wanted splitscreen support for DaytonaKart? Well, now you have it, as I've managed to code it in, which can work with 2, 3 or 4 players on the same screen. Not only that, but some HPMod bugs are patched, as well as a few other bits which I forgot about.

Until Kart V2.0 comes out, this should be the last major update, outside of adding in one other HUD type.

SRB2Kart Track Mapper
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #28
Latius

Small patch to try and make the mod more bug-free, plus given that spectators don't get the start countdown... I decided to fix that.

SRB2Kart Track Mapper