And here it is, probably the biggest update to JMS yet. Let's go over all the changes shall we?
Charge Abilities rework:
Dash Mode tweaks:
- Rather than a number of uses, Charge Abilities has an energy meter now
- Using abilities uses this energy and abilities can be used a long as energy is available
- While charging, a portion of the available energy will be highlighted showing how much energy will be used
- Regardless of the amount of available energy, charging state can be held for 2 seconds
- Energy recovers quickly while on the ground and can also be recovered by hitting enemies
- Should all energy be used, JMS will become exhausted
- While exhausted, JMS passively recovers energy regardless of whether he's in the air or on the ground
- While exhausted, JMS cannot charge
- There is no longer a limit on Charge Jumps
- Charge Thok speed cap has been removed
- Charge Thoks and Stomps will bounce regardless of how much they were charged. The strength of the bounce will be affected by charge build-up
- Breaking walls and floors still requires fully charged Thoks and Stomps
- A line on the energy meter displays the full charge point
- While Super, JMS has a constant energy recovery effect added on top of normal energy recovery
- While Super, JMS no longer destroys enemies in a radius around him when using Charge Abilities.
- Dash Mode speedcap has been increased from 133% to 150%
- Pressing SPIN while in Dash Mode and grounded will cause JMS to enter a fully charged spindash state
- This way Dash Mode can be held while standing still
- This allows for taking tight turns while staying grounded.
- JMS enters rolling state now after a wall bounce or successful homing thok
- Removed superfluous features from the JetMetal menu
- Removed some charging VFX
- Changed how a number of the visual effects work code-wise
- Switched to a custom jetfume effect rather than the vanilla MT_METALJETFUME follow item
- Combo counter and energy meter's positions now adjust for Record Attack.
For images, check out the updated Overview!
- Fixed a bug where the boosters would not disappear when switching from JMS to another skin in multiplayer. This same fix also fixes character switching with BuddyEX
- Fixed some of the booster sprites being off, particularly positions 2 and 8
- Other stuff probably at some point during revision.
I fully expect to have overlooked some bug or issue, maybe even some issues that I had previously fixed have come up again due to the revision. If any bugs or issues are found, please let me know!
It has been a while but that doesn't mean that nothing has been happening. In fact, a full lua script revision for JMS is in the works.
My goal is to make the overall code cleaner and nicer to look at, as well as change how a number of things work in the background.
On top of that I am reworking the Charge Abilities (particularly how charging, built-up charge, and ability uses work) as well as making a couple of changes to Dash Mode.
All of this is still very much work-in-progress but my goal is to finish and publish the update before the Frontiers release date.
So, major bugfix for a bug that has been around since I added the option to swap the jump and stomp inputs.
To make up for missing this bug for so long I made some tweaks as well:
- I fixed Charge Jump behaving weird when trying to perform a second jump on the non-swapped control scheme (let go without holding a direction to jump).
- On top of that I also fixed a related bug where the wrong launch effect would happen when performing either the Charge Jump or Stomp with releasing the jump input.
- Super transformation effects are a bit nicer looking. Make sure to check it out!
- I also slightly toned down the passive electric sparks JMS has by making them a bit more transparent.
- I nerfed SJMS a tiny bit by making the nuke enemies effect only happen when using a fully charged move.
- Added a tiny amount of screen shake to Dash Mode activation.
- Finally, I changed some things to make charge ability behaviour consistent between input methods, especially where attempting a charge jump while said move is unavailable is concerned.
- The way this was changed is that attempting a second charge jump while it is unavailable causes JMS to cancel out of charging and falling but retaining whatever charges he had.
- Going Super has been moved to the Custom1 button.
- This button can also be set to be Custom2, Custom3 or TossFlag through the jetmetalmenu's new option.
- Improved custom death animation.
- Replaced sparkling charging effect with a new effect inspired by the Metal Sonic boss fight.
- This effect is also applied to Dash Mode nearly activating.
- Slightly customized Super transformation effects.
- Moved freeslots, states, objects and skincolors to SOC.
- Moved a bunch of custom object logic from ThinkFrames to their own thinkers and other lua restructuring.
And I think that's the whole update? I might be forgetting some stuff.
- Fixed a bug where pain behaviour wasn't working properly while charging.
- Fixed a bug where the Charge Thok would break spikes JMS wasn't touching.
- Fixed a bug with the placement of the pulsing after-images indicating Dash Mode in reverse gravity.
I wanted to get this out sooner but then I had the idea to move freeslots and stuff to SOC and then I felt like restructuring a whole bunch of stuff in lua and that lead to having to test if it all still behaved the same.
Anyway, excuses aside, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you all for over 2K downloads. Honestly I did not expect this addon to get the attention it has but I greatly appreciate it!
JMS Version 1.3 is here, and it is a pretty sizeable update!
- Customized Dash Mode:
Like vanilla, Dash Mode is built up by moving at high enough speed or charging a spindash.
If fully built up via spindash, releasing the spindash immediately uncurls JMS.
While Dash Mode is active, normalspeed gradually increases up to a cap.
Normalspeed caps out at +33%, not very high but a noticeable increase.
Normalspeed cap increase also affects the Charge Thok speed cap.
While Dash Mode is active, increase jumpfactor by 10%.
While Dash Mode is active, enable water running.
While Dash Mode is active, increase Charge Ability charging speed by 25%.
This charge speed increase stacks with super sneakers and Super form.
- Modified death animation, check it out:
The trajectory of the boosters is slightly randomized.
- Slightly increased base normalspeed.
- Fused together all lua scripts except for the menu script, leaving only 2 scripts in total.
- Swapped the default inputs for the Charge Jump and Charge Stomp. If you played a previous version your settings will still be the same so do not worry about it.
- Fixed a colour issue on one of the dash sprites.
I hope these new additions will improve people's experiences and please let me know your thoughts!
Very small update:
I fixed the squash and stretch not resetting when getting hurt and I tweaked the saloon door breaking code to have JMS bounce off of the door as it breaks, similar to how he bounces off of bustable walls and floors.
I managed to finish just another thing for today so here's another update. Don't expect them to always happen this quickly!
New feature: JMS can now use the Charge Thok (when fully charged) to break saloon doors in ACZ2.
Bug fix: going into a carried state while charging will now cancel the charge.
Also, I forgot to mention two things regarding the previous update (I will edit the previous entry to reflect these as well):
- Charge Jump now deals damage on the way up.
- Super sneakers will cause JMS to charge 50% faster. This effect does not stack with being Super.