• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

World of 123 Runite MOD v.0.015 (current)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: ......

cueball61 said:
Dark Angel said:
You know..... 0.0 you can say you don't like them but you don't have to go so overboard. Maybe half of what you said was NOT necessary! I personally think you owe him an apoligy. Yes, the Mod has some faults, and you can say that but not things like-

Mega Quote

That was, infact, sir, constructive critisism, and showing just how much the mod needs to be improved before it will satisfy anyone other than people like our good friend GCFreak (No offense meant, just a joke ^_~).

Kroze just has a funny way of showing it.

Oh man, I need to be more non-constructive D:.

Oh and also, you CAN use the other characters you just have to wait a bit and make sure your not moving then forcefully switch the characters. Or just do SKIN TAILS OR SKIN KNUCKLES.

Ok. I was just checking on my topic to see what's going on so far, and I find all this???

First of all, thanks Sonict. I don't usually hang around in the chat room, so, this helped. I didn't really know if people were talking about the game out of the forums.

After reading that, I came across this long, kind of put down message, by Kroze. Kroze, read Rules 1 and 4. Stop your offensive language, and here at the forums, you SHALL NOT generate an angry response, unless you're an admin. That was very insulting. I'll try to do what ever YOU want, just to make YOU happy.

Here are the things I will do to change the whole game so far:

Overall
--> NO MORE FORCECHARACTER until the whole game is done. There will be courses specifically designed for Tails and Knuckles in the future.

The Gate 1
--> Remove the bustable walls so that they only show on HARD mode.
--> Remove the detons so that they only attack on HARD mode.
--> No more invincibility since there are no detons on end.
--> Switches will still be there. HAHA. =P

The Gate 2
--> Only 1 Eggman will be shown. 3 on HARD.

City Forest Zone 1
--> NO MORE Jettysyns and Commanders.
--> Shortcut will easily be accessible on EASY and NORMAL. WILL BE BLOCKED ON HARD.

City Forest Zone 2
--> NO MORE Jettysyns and Commanders. Detons WILL STILL be there ready to attack.

City Forest Zone 3
--> Only 3 Eggmen will be shown. 5 on HARD.

Runite City Zone 1
--> Will completely revamp the whole stage.
--> Take out cutscenes since it's SO ANNOYING FOR KROZE.

Runite City Zone 2
--> TAKE OUT CUTSCENES ONLY FOR KROZE.

Runite City Zone 3
--> Defeat only 1 Eggman Slime Shooter. 3 on HARD. Access to Egg Capsule will STILL BE THE SAME.

Pirates Cove Zone 1
--> Nothing so far... no one said anything about it....

Mainly, these actions will be taken place due to some of my own thoughts, but mostly for KROZE. I'll just send a second release link just for the people who want to play the game with no interruptions, such as CUTSCENES. Just tell me if you want one NOW.

Kroze, please think about what you just said.

123 Runite said:
Overall
--> NO MORE FORCECHARACTER. Fixed
The Gate 1
--> Remake the entire level so it is more explorable and less crazily hard.

The Gate 2
--> Only 1 Eggman will be shown. 3 on HARD. It's your mod, go ahead if you want.

City Forest Zone 1
--> NO MORE Jettysyns and Commanders.
--> Shortcut will easily be accessible on EASY and NORMAL. WILL BE BLOCKED ON HARD.

City Forest Zone 2
--> NO MORE Jettysyns and Commanders. No detons

City Forest Zone 3
--> Only 3 Eggmen will be shown. 5 on HARD. 3 Eggmen is a bit pushing it, but at least it will be easier. Might I recommend making a custom Boss SOC and only having 1 boss?

Runite City Zone 1
--> Take out cutscenes since it's SO ANNOYING FOR KROZE. Good.

Runite City Zone 2
--> Extend time limit. Please, I can't finish it, 8 minutes is incredibly hard to do.

Runite City Zone 3
--> Defeat only 1 Eggman Slime Shooter. 2 on HARD. Access to Egg Capsule will STILL BE THE SAME.Pretty fair I guess, but 2 on hard.

Pirates Cove Zone 1
--> Nothing so far... no one said anything about it.... Haven't got up to it.

My two cents. It would be overall better if you did these actions.

Dude, are you suggesting that Kroze can't think? Then how did he make such a large post then? Either way, he was merely using constructive critisism, and he was also being honest.

I have to agree with him. I played this mod up to City Forest zone and I was unimpressed.

Honestly, 123 Runite, the reality is that while Kroze was excessively harsh about it, he IS right. Your mod isn't particularly good. It feels that you're attempting to create something that's above your capabilities to do at this point, and as a result the entire thing suffers from it. There are some great ideas in here. Runite City 1's platforming section where you have to jump on the platforms as they move down was brilliant. However, for every brilliant idea you have a ton of awful ideas that make no sense. Cutscenes are fine, but the following things should be fixed:

* The player should not have to watch the cutscene to know how to beat the stage. Being lost for no particular reason isn't fun. I got to a certain point in Runite City 1 and just said "screw it" because I didn't feel like figuring out what exactly you wanted me to do, and it's certainly not clear from inside the stage. While having a plot is fine, please don't force the plot onto people. You can skip cutscenes in this game. Remember that and make sure that the player won't be confused as to what they're supposed to do in the stage.
* The in-stage text should not be important. SRB2, first and foremost, is a 3D platformer. It's not an RPG, and it's not a first person shooter. Mission objectives, while cool, disrupt the flow of the game because the player has to read the text at the top of the screen. This is a bad thing because whenever the player is reading, he's not playing the game. If you must have text in-game, might I suggest recording small voice clips instead so the player doesn't have to read it, and can continue playing while the mission objective is being explained?
* Switches should be used sparingly. Don't force the player to hunt random switches for no reason, that's not fun. The Gate 1 is by far the worst stage of the stages I played in the pack, so much so that I almost just quit there and wrote the entire pack off as unplayable garbage. Let the player run, don't force them to hunt switches in tiny passages. That's not Sonic gameplay.
* Only use one boss per boss act. Fighting 5 Egg Mobiles is just stupid. Arena Zone is included in Mystic Realm to show you what NOT to do. Don't emulate my crappy early work. If you need inspiration, try an imaginative boss arena or SOC up a simple edit.
* Detons are cheap. There's no way around it, I wouldn't suggest using them in any difficulty level. There is a reason they were removed from Mystic Realm.
* Do not force the player to take damage to complete the stage. Remember Ultimate difficulty skill exists. Make sure all of your levels are possible to complete on Ultimate (Although probably not realistically)

I will also note that while Kroze was rather insanely sarcastic, that IS constructive criticism, and not against the rules. I also suspect that the reason why nobody has commented on Pirate's Cove is because everyone got frustrated with Runite City's awful level design and just stopped playing. That's what happened to me.

123 Runite said:
After reading that, I came across this long, kind of put down message, by Kroze. Kroze, read Rules 1 and 4. Stop your offensive language, and here at the forums, you SHALL NOT generate an angry response, unless you're an admin. That was very insulting. I'll try to do what ever YOU want, just to make YOU happy.

Wow... ummm... yeah...
The post wasn't made to upset you man, it was mainly to call to attention a LOT of the flaws that really hurt this level pack all together. I worked on making the post as comical and absurdly funny as possible while giving the most honest opinion I could.
I can tell you right now that I did not break either of those two rules one bit and if I did, someone would of been on me already like white on rice as I have been showing the post off as much as I possibly can to make people laugh (And worship that great and awesome post! It had comedy, romance, action, and a cliffhanger ending making way for the inevitable sequel! WHY ARE YOU MORTALS NOT BOWING TO IT ALREADY?!?!?!?!?).

Again, I wasn't looking for an angry response at all... I was looking for the exact opposite, a post that accepted all the feedback I gave and worked hard to make it better and to overcome this strong dislike.

Runite City Zone 1
--> Take out cutscenes since it's SO ANNOYING FOR KROZE.

Runite City Zone 2

Mainly, these actions will be taken place due to some of my own thoughts, but mostly for KROZE.

Oh wow... just for ME? I am flattered and honored at this!
Now where the hell is my throne? I thought I told you to have it finished for me an hour ago!!! GET MOVING SLAVE!!

But in all seriousness, don't make these changes just for me... do it for the overall good of the level pack. I know many here echoed my thoughts about all those points but never said anything to you.
I am mainly trying to help you out here so don't think of it that I am ordering you to do stuff just for me.
Take all those ideas you had and improve them. If you looked, my main issue with the cutscenes was they were too long and ended up being not only redundant but pointless. Now this doesn't mean take them out entirely...
And the main thing you REALLY need to work on is how closed and very small your levels are along with making them a lot less liner.

Kroze, please think about what you just said.

Oh, I have and I have learned greatly from it...
Next time I will make my post even longer seeing as how people managed to read through it too fast and I need to be funnier so that means I not only have to do more of Mystic's mom jokes but also have some FF's mom jokes as well!
GENIUS!
:P

First off, no one has commented on Pirate Cove not just because they didn't get that far because Runite City act 1 and 2 are bad, but because it is a secret level! You don't need to make a secret level until you are just about finished with the pack.

Kroze! I now understood what you said.

Yea, I understand now that Runite City Zone 1 is really crappy =P. I was worried about it when I released it. So, sorry people.

What was really wrong about City Forest Zone? I don't think I got it....

I don't really know if Runite City Zone 2 is that bad either...

Pirates Cove is after Runite City. It's not really a secret level. That course has some water ambiance problems.... you'll find them when you get into the cave. There are places where there are not supposed to be any type of ambiance whatsoever, but for some unknown reason, there are places where there are really loud water ambiances. I think it's better if you people see it so that you clearly know the problem. Because of that, here is a link to the level itself:

Pirates' Cove Zone Act 1

I'll just change the whole game by
--> Removing ALL scripts and cutscenes
--> 1 Eggman for each boss stage. I'll try to learn how to make custom bosses later once I have enough time...
--> No detons!
--> Will change The Gate so that you don't have to press any more switches, but maybe the end will have a switch...
--> Of course, changing Runite City Zone 1!!!
--> Increasing the time limit for RCZ2 to maybe, 10 minutes?
--> Maybe some other things too... that you could point out.

Thanks all of you. This has really helped so far.

Note: I want that poll gone! =D

123 Runite said:
Pirates Cove is after Runite City. It's not really a secret level. That course has some water ambiance problems.... you'll find them when you get into the cave. There are places where there are not supposed to be any type of ambiance whatsoever, but for some unknown reason, there are places where there are really loud water ambiances. I think it's better if you people see it so that you clearly know the problem.
Every time I try to go there, it says "You have to unlock this first!" after it crashes on me.

It works fine... I don't see any problems. Are other people experiencing the same problem Vash is having?

I came back...

I don't know why, I liked the scripts, but they should be in regular font and should show up on screen like in morphs level pack, I want to learn how to do that, also the cutscene was rather long but cool though, some of that stuff wasn't that big of a problem, but that is my opinion.

Ok, people. I'll be bumping this back on top, to tell you all the updates so far. I'll release a new beta once Runite City Zone Act 1 is completed. I'll have to build 50 structures throughout the city. Check my signature to see how many more structures I have to build before the whole act is finished.

Code:
# v.0.015
#  Updated the MainCFG to go with all the changes that were made with the game such as
#   deleting cutscenes, renaming levels, editing summaries, etc.
#  The Gate now has 3 acts.  What's new is The Gate 2.  The Gate 3 is now the boss act.
#  The Gate now has Zone at the end of the name.
#  Revamped The Gate Zone 1 so that pressing switches is not the purpose of clearing the 
#   level.
#  Renamed City Forest Zone to River's End since City Forest Zone 2 doesn't have to do with
#   a forest.
#  Renamed Pirates' Cove Zone to Oceanic Cove Zone.  No more pirates!
#  Force character has been disabled until further notice.
#  The Load Screen, Intro Screen, Title Screen, and Exit Screen has been changed.
#  Level Select can be accessed from the Main Menu, for now.... until the whole game is
#   completed, well, the first half....
#  ALL "UNNECESSARY" SCRIPTS AND CUTSCENES DELETED. 
#  NO MORE DETONS throughout the whole game.
#  Teleporter textures now scroll!!!
#  1 Eggman now for each boss stage until I know how to make custom bosses.  Because of that
#   change, some of the boss stages have been altered a bit.
#  New objects available:  Stand-still Sonic, Stand-still Tails, and Stand-still Knuckles.
#   These objects will be shown on Runite City Zone 1 and 2.  There will be more where that
#   came from.
#  It rains on the "GRASSY" textured places in The Gate Zone 1.
#  Fixed some textures, aligned some textures, and fixed 2 hidden missing textures in The
#   Gate Zone.
#  Replaced the Jettysyns and Crawla Commanders in River's End with normal Blue and Red
#   Crawlas.
#  Made some minor fixes for River's End Zone 1 such as making platforms and rooms bigger
#   and taking away useless springs.
#  The swampy water (one you could swim in) in River's End Zone 1 now has a floor you could 
#   sink in (replaces the spikes).
#  Fixed some spring and ring placements in River's End Zone 2.
#  River's End Zone 2 is now less cramped in some areas.
#  You could now see the top of the factory of River's End Zone 2.
#  Runite City Zone 2 now has a time limit of 10 minutes (will go back to 8 when game
#   progresses).
#  Crushers in Runite City Zone 2 are now slower.
#  To be easier, there are different colors of teleporters in Runite City Zone 2.
#  The level now ends when you actually press the button that disables the bomb in Runite 
#   City Zone 2.  No more gravity change in that area.
#  Changed the scripts for Oceanic Cove Zone 1.
#  Added rings and Crawlas in Oceanic Cove Zone 1.
#  Less rocks fall on Easy and Normal modes in Oceanic Cove Zone 1.  All rocks fall on Hard.
#  The Last Room from the exit (with the holes on ice) of Oceanic Cove Zone 1 now has a
#   death pit surrounding the ice.
#  Renamed Runite City Park AM/PM into Runite City Park Zone Act 1/2.
#  Fixed a platform texture in Runite City Park.

Yeah. Sorry I forgot to tell you that. They're not necessarily buildings. Take parks for example. One whole park count as a structure. I don't want to make a boring city with just buildings everywhere, (even though that is how a city is supposed to look like) I want to add some things that will make cities look better (I hope for all the opinions about it will be good once the level is done).

Here are all of the structures completed so far 2/50:

One-level Indoor Parking Garage
Small Plaza

As with all these updates, for the city, I've added street signs (you know, like the "STOP" sign, and the "LEFT TURN ONLY" sign, etc.) to make the city feel like it is a city. Maybe I'll post some screenies of the city later... though, it's small right now...

I have a question about sector tags. On Oceanic Cove Zone 1, I got up to having a sector tag of 425. Ever since I exceeded that number, (even when I put a sector tag of 999 or 640 or any other random number) when I load the level, it says, "You need to unlock this level first!". I think that was the problem some of you people were experiencing. Any reasons about this?

Oh what the heck! I'll just release a version now so that you can give me your opinion on how the City is like so far. Since I think 50 structures are too much, and will cause the level to lag like heck, I'll just say there will be 30 structures. There are 6 structures completed so far:

The Water Pump
A small cheap one-level parking garage
A small plaza
4 Radio Towers grouped together
Construction Site #01
The Bank of 256 (There is a reason why that's its name)

In the level, when you go to the treatment plant, make sure you go to the left shaft (from the midpoint's perspective), because the right shaft is not really ready to be used yet. If you DO go to the right shaft, you will be trapped.

The street signs in Software mode will be kind of weird, and on OpenGL, they're all normal. If you know how to fix that, please tell me. However, in OpenGL mode, the game may run slower that usual, for the level. So, Software mode is highly recommended.

Here is the update list for Version 0.015 (skip this if you just want to download the file, because there is a text document in the zip folder containing all the updates):

Code:
#  Updated the MainCFG to go with all the changes that were made with the game such as
#   deleting cutscenes, renaming levels, editing summaries, etc.
#  The Gate now has 3 acts.  What's new is The Gate 2.  The Gate 3 is now the boss act.
#  Added new match stages that go with the element of each zone.  For example, Runite City
#  Park Zone goes with Runite City Zone.
#  Partly revamped Runite City Zone 1:  6/30 structures completed:  Water Pump, Small Plaza,
#   4 Radio Towers, Construction Site #01, and the Bank of 256.
#  The Gate now has Zone at the end of the name.
#  Revamped The Gate Zone 1 so that pressing switches is not the purpose of clearing the 
#   level.
#  Renamed City Forest Zone to River's End since City Forest Zone 2 doesn't have to do with
#   a forest.
#  Renamed Pirates' Cove Zone to Oceanic Cove Zone.  No more pirates!
#  Force character has been disabled until further notice.
#  The Load Screen, Intro Screen, Title Screen, and Exit Screen has been changed.
#  Level Select can be accessed from the Main Menu, for now.... until the whole game is
#   completed, well, the first half....
#  ALL "UNNECESSARY" SCRIPTS AND CUTSCENES DELETED. 
#  NO MORE DETONS throughout the whole game.
#  Teleporter textures now scroll!!!
#  1 Eggman now for each boss stage until I know how to make custom bosses.  Because of that
#   change, some of the boss stages have been altered a bit.
#  New objects available:  Stand-still Sonic, Stand-still Tails, and Stand-still Knuckles.
#   These objects will be shown on Runite City Zone 1 and 2.  There will be more where that
#   came from.
#  It rains on the "GRASSY" textured places in The Gate Zone 1.
#  Fixed some textures, aligned some textures, and fixed 2 hidden missing textures in The
#   Gate Zone.
#  Replaced the Jettysyns and Crawla Commanders in River's End with normal Blue and Red
#   Crawlas.
#  Made some minor fixes for River's End Zone 1 such as making platforms and rooms bigger
#   and taking away useless springs.
#  The swampy water (one you could swim in) in River's End Zone 1 now has a floor you could 
#   sink in (replaces the spikes).
#  Fixed some spring and ring placements in River's End Zone 2.
#  River's End Zone 2 is now less cramped in some areas.
#  You could now see the top of the factory of River's End Zone 2.
#  Runite City Zone 2 now has a time limit of 10 minutes (will go back to 8 when game
#   progresses).
#  Crushers in Runite City Zone 2 are now slower.
#  To be easier, there are different colors of teleporters in Runite City Zone 2.
#  The level now ends when you actually press the button that disables the bomb in Runite 
#   City Zone 2.  No more gravity change in that area.
#  Changed the scripts for Oceanic Cove Zone 1.
#  Added rings and Crawlas in Oceanic Cove Zone 1.
#  Less rocks fall on Easy and Normal modes in Oceanic Cove Zone 1.  All rocks fall on Hard.
#  Fixed the rumbling sounds in Oceanic Cove Zone 1.
#  Fixed the falling rocks.  There were rocks that were supposed to fall, but there were
#   1-ups under them.  Going under the rocks to get the 1-ups resulted in death.  Those are
#   fixed.
#  The Last Room from the exit (with the holes on ice) of Oceanic Cove Zone 1 now has a
#   death pit surrounding the ice.
#  Renamed Runite City Park AM/PM into Runite City Park Zone Act 1/2.
#  Fixed a platform texture in Runite City Park.

Now for the link!!!!

World of 123 Runite v.0.015 DOWNLOAD

Any feedback is appreciated!

The signs are not FOF. It's just like the GFZGRASS texture on an FOF so that you could see the grass texture on a floating platform. I made the signs just by making the line lower unpegged and by changing the texture's y offset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back