What in the world is SRB2 Workshop?

Ok, but my argument here is not about edits of pre-existing mods, it's about whether a mod can be ported without needing to ask someone every goddamn time whether or not I can.
I fail to see why you can't just ask first. Its respectful and allows the creator to know about the port beforehand, if you truly cared about what you were porting you would at least have the decency to ask first.

I fail to see why you can't just ask first. Its respectful and allows the creator to know about the port beforehand, if you truly cared about what you were porting you would at least have the decency to ask first.
Asking was never the problem, it's the fact that it's a requirement JUST to port/modify a mod. There are plenty of fangames and mods that get ported, modified, patched, and remade, not all creators ask permission to be disrespectful, first, it's not a requirement, second, sometimes they literally can't. While I do agree that asking first is decent, the bare minimum requirement should be to credit the person who made the mod/game, that should be the most important part of all, because even if someone asks you first, if they don't credit you, NOBODY will know your work to begin with.

Asking should be out of kindness, crediting should be out of respect.

(I genuinely didn't think I could write all that lol)

Asking was never the problem, it's the fact that it's a requirement JUST to port/modify a mod. There are plenty of fangames and mods that get ported, modified, patched, and remade, not all creators ask permission to be disrespectful, first, it's not a requirement, second, sometimes they literally can't. While I do agree that asking first is decent, the bare minimum requirement should be to credit the person who made the mod/game, that should be the most important part of all, because even if someone asks you first, if they don't credit you, NOBODY will know your work to begin with.

If someone explicitly says “Don’t port this without my permission.”, what is the harm in following that?

Umm, isn't that the point of making the port? So that other people can enjoy playing it?
Why not play it on its original version then? If you can run 2.2, you can run 2.1, and so on. Porting something isn't preserving it, archiving the original is.

Why not play it on its original version then? If you can run 2.2, you can run 2.1, and so on. Porting something isn't preserving it, archiving the original is.
not everyone prefers playing an old version of the game. also tf do you mean porting something isn't preserving it, that's why ports exist.

not everyone prefers playing an old version of the game. also tf do you mean porting isn't preserving it, that's why ports exist
Is this about preservation, or preference? Isn't the point to appreciate something from the past? By saying it has to be updated for you to want to play it, aren't you admitting that it's about changing it to meet your preferences, and not preserving it? Do you want to preserve mods from older versions, or do you want more mods to play in current versions?

If you can play an older version of the game, then you don't need to port it to preserve it. You don't port something to modern versions, changing it in the process, to preserve it. That's like saying the Star Wars Special Editions were preserving the originals for updating them to contemporary standards when they notoriously weren't.

If you want to preserve something, you archive it, not change it. And yes, you HAVE to make changes, however small, to something in order to port it due to differences between major releases. Saying "But I prefer to play on new versions" only further clarifies that it's not about preservation, you want changes to be made to update them to the modern versions. That's like saying all black and white movies HAVE to be updated to color to be preserved just because you don't like watching films without color.

If you care about preserving the past, you will embrace the past. And so if someone says "Please don't port this without my permission," and then you cannot get that permission, archive it. You'll preserve the past and make it just as possible to play in 2023 as it was in 2013. You don't need to port anything to do that. As such, if you truly respect a work, you'll respect the wishes of the person who made it too.

Last edited:

Its not like asking someone to allow you to port their mod is that hard, there's even a rule that states if you tried to get in contact with them for at least 2 months then its fair game. Just because other fangames get edited without permission doesn't mean its ok. Also credit is going to be given regardless anyways, slapping someone's name on the bottom of the page shouldn't be the only thing you need to do to port peoples things. Also, what if said mod was already being ported by the creator anyways? It would be a waste of time to port something that's already being ported. Even more so, what if the port is unfaithful to the original, it would be nice to have contact with the creator so they can supervise the port. The workshop's Inazuma port is a prefect example of this. it has major issues and isn't faithful to the original. If this was allowed to pass submissions, what do you think the original creator would think? Not only where they not informed, the port ended up being bad and a miss representation of the original. Now people are going to think this is how it always was and have a bad impression. This is what ends up happening with most portlegs, they almost all unfaithfully bad. But what would have happened if the creator known about it beforehand? They could have helped make the mod better, fix some of the issues and made a better experience. If that was the case, then not only would the mod be better, but you would have formed a strong relationship with the creator in the process! Its really just better to ask first.

Is this about preservation, or preference? Isn't the point to appreciate something from the past? By saying it has to be updated for you to want to play it, aren't you admitting that it's about changing it to meet your preferences, and not preserving it? Do you want to preserve mods from older versions, or do you want more mods to play in current versions?

If you can play an older version of the game, then you don't need to port it to preserve it. You don't port something to modern versions, changing it in the process, to preserve it. That's like saying the Star Wars Special Editions were preserving the originals for updating them to contemporary standards when they notoriously weren't.

If you want to preserve something, you archive it, not change it. And yes, you HAVE to make changes, however small, to something in order to port it due to differences between major releases. Saying "But I prefer to play on new versions" only further clarifies that it's not about preservation, you want changes to be made to update them to the modern versions. That's like saying all black and white movies HAVE to be updated to color to be preserved just because you don't like watching films without color.

If you care about preserving the past, you will embrace the past. And so if someone says "Please don't port this without my permission," and then you cannot get that permission, archive it. You'll preserve the past and make it just as possible to play in 2023 as it was in 2013. You don't need to port anything to do that. As such, if you truly respect a work, you'll respect the wishes of the person who made it too.
By this logic, SRB2 The Past isn't preserving anything even though that's exactly what it sets out to do.
I really don't see why the newer, improved version of the game that's more accessible to new players needs to be gatekept behind reusability.

By this logic, SRB2 The Past isn't preserving anything even though that's exactly what it sets out to do.
I really don't see why the newer, improved version of the game that's more accessible to new players needs to be gatekept behind reusability.
.... its really not that hard to make a legitimate port of something.

What qualifies as a "legitimate" port?
Go ahead, give me the arbitrary list of standards a port needs to meet to be considered "legitimate" in this community.
1. You need to ask the creator first and get the ok to port the mod and 2. You need to give them credit for the original mod.

what in this this 2-step process do you not understand.

You're half correct - SRB2 The Past isn't preserving anything because it's not an attempt to preserve past versions of SRB2. It's a reproduction of them that can be played on the current.

The original content is not gone or in danger of going away: SRB2 The Past simply offers an alternative, more accessible way to experience it.

I will ask this again because nobody has been able to give me a satisfactory answer for this:
Why is giving credit not enough for you people?
"I fail to see why you can't just ask first. Its respectful and allows the creator to know about the port beforehand, if you truly cared about what you were porting you would at least have the decency to ask first."

SRB2 The Past is showcasing the past in a reorganized format. It's a museum. Not really comparable to "But I want to play 2.1 Shadow in 2.2. :("
We're not "gatekeeping the current version" because they are plenty of new mods and legitimate ports for the current version.
I will ask this again because nobody has been able to give me a satisfactory answer for this:
Why is giving credit not enough for you people?
We've given you several answers, just none that you like. It's pretty normal online to need to ask for permission before updating and reuploading someone else's work, but you think SRB2 mods should be exempt from that for some reason. You can think that's dumb, but you guys are the odd ones out then, not us. If you like something, you can respect the wishes of the creator who put hours of their free time into it. This isn't just about ports either, as you know.
Isn't the whole point of ports to play it in current versions...?
Yeah! Which is why you don't need to port something to preserve it. You only want to port it because you want more mods for the current version, not so you can appreciate the past. That was my argument. You want to appreciate parts of the past rather than the whole of it. Archiving something will do more to preserve the past than porting it without permission.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back