What in the world is SRB2 Workshop?

Is this about preservation, or preference? Isn't the point to appreciate something from the past? By saying it has to be updated for you to want to play it, aren't you admitting that it's about changing it to meet your preferences, and not preserving it? Do you want to preserve mods from older versions, or do you want more mods to play in current versions?

If you can play an older version of the game, then you don't need to port it to preserve it. You don't port something to modern versions, changing it in the process, to preserve it. That's like saying the Star Wars Special Editions were preserving the originals for updating them to contemporary standards when they notoriously weren't.

If you want to preserve something, you archive it, not change it. And yes, you HAVE to make changes, however small, to something in order to port it due to differences between major releases. Saying "But I prefer to play on new versions" only further clarifies that it's not about preservation, you want changes to be made to update them to the modern versions. That's like saying all black and white movies HAVE to be updated to color to be preserved just because you don't like watching films without color.

If you care about preserving the past, you will embrace the past. And so if someone says "Please don't port this without my permission," and then you cannot get that permission, archive it. You'll preserve the past and make it just as possible to play in 2023 as it was in 2013. You don't need to port anything to do that. As such, if you truly respect a work, you'll respect the wishes of the person who made it too.
If you can't make a port without asking permission, you shouldn't be able to archive the mod without the creators permission either.

"As game hardware and software become obsolete, older games can become inaccessible to players. Porting games helps preserve classic games by adapting them to modern platforms so they remain playable and appreciated by future generations."

If you can't make a port without asking permission, you shouldn't be able to archive the mod without the creators permission either.
There's a significant difference between updating something and preventing it from becoming lost media.
"As game hardware and software become obsolete, older games can become inaccessible to players. Porting games helps preserve classic games by adapting them to modern platforms so they remain playable and appreciated by future generations."
Versions of SRB2 from the 90s run on modern platforms, thus this issue does not exist. It's also one game. This comparison is not valid as they are talking about something very different.

Last edited:
my take on this?

you don't need any permission to port a mod, as SRB2 is not an art community, it's a *modding* community, there's no artistic value being put into mods (you could say sprites count, but i really don't, as that also does not make it an """"""""art"""""""" community).
i will treat it as simply a modding community that has bad representatives, same with the Valve community, good community, bad representatives (i will put srb2's community in huge quotations though.

my take on this?

you don't need any permission to port a mod, as SRB2 is not an art community, it's a *modding* community, there's no artistic value being put into mods (you could say sprites count, but i really don't, as that also does not make it an """"""""art"""""""" community).
i will treat it as simply a modding community that has bad representatives, same with the Valve community, good community, bad representatives (i will put srb2's community in huge quotations though.
I've said this before, but it is NOT that hard to ask for permission before making a port. It REALLY isn't that hard. I've also gone into detail on why asking for permission first is better than just making a port. If you can't go the extra mile, then you don't deserve to post your port here.

my take on this?

And there it is. It's all about the worth someone's project has that determines whether or not you need permission to you folks. The amount of free time or effort doesn't matter- it's the worth it has to you personally.

I've said this before, but it is NOT that hard to ask for permission before making a port. It REALLY isn't that hard. I've also gone into detail on why asking for permission first is better than just making a port. If you can't go the extra mile, then you don't deserve to post your port here.
It's not that hard to ask nintendo permission to make mario kirby and samus mods but people still make them anyway

It's not that hard to ask nintendo permission to make mario kirby and samus mods but people still make them anyway
1. Corporations are not individual creators.
2. Have you ever gotten a response from a major corporation for such a question?
3. You completely missed the point.

Also my thought is that SRB2 is literally just a fangame on creation and no permission, everything literally can be reusable. I can respect some peoples opinion but the new members from Sonic Team Jr and Kart Krew just might not cut it for me, I am still respecting them, but it's just that I might just think the old days were better from being restrictive to rules that are genius, to just flopping off and deicide to just keep it safe and fine. I wasn't at the old days in SRB2, but I did like how the game was amazing in it's toptier fangame history.

corporation or not it's still their characters
A corporation is a soulless entity, full of people who knowingly sign over the rights to what they produce for that soulless entity in exchange for financial compensation. An individual creator putting hours (at least) of their free time into an addon and expecting nothing but respect in return is not the same thing. That's an incredibly disrespectful comparison.

1. Corporations are not individual creators.
2. Have you ever gotten a response from a major corporation for such a question?
3. You completely missed the point.
1. corporations may not be people, but they're still the creators of an IP, do you really think Nintendo just shat out Mario one day, then other franchises later?
2. no, but i can say that the AM2R did, the "cease and desist" kind of response
3. no comment on third point, but i'd rather not answer

1. corporations may not be people, but they're still the creators of an IP, do you really think Nintendo just shat out Mario one day, then other franchises later?
2. no, but i can say that the AM2R did, the "cease and desist" kind of response
3. no comment on third point, but i'd rather not answer
1. As I said, corporations are full of people... people who signed over the rights to what they created in exchange for financial compensation they felt was satisfactory. They were given instructions and followed them. The corporation owns the characters, not the artists. An individual (unpaid) creator on the internet is not the same thing, end of story.
2. You aren't going to get a C&D from an SRB2 modder. Unless you think the threat of legal action is somehow comparable to "Please don't port this without my permission." But that would be silly, wouldn't it?
3. Fair enough.

Delving into legalese, corporations, IPs and "☝️🤓 ackshually SRB2 has no official permission to exist" is a meaningless tangent for this discussion because it says absolutely nothing about how we should operate the MB.

We literally do not have the power to prevent mods from being edited and republished elsewhere, so yes, everything we host here is technically reusable when it comes to the Internet, but what we accept or not in the space created and curated by us is no one's say but ours. Hopefully this saves time and space in everyone's heads for more useful thoughts that can help us moderate better.

Delving into legalese, corporations, IPs and "☝️🤓 ackshually SRB2 has no official permission to exist" is a meaningless tangent for this discussion because it says absolutely nothing about how we should operate the MB.

We literally do not have the power to prevent mods from being edited and republished elsewhere, so yes, everything we host here is technically reusable when it comes to the Internet, but what we accept or not in the space created and curated by us is no one's say but ours. Hopefully this saves time and space in everyone's heads for more useful thoughts that can help us moderate better.
like actually being mods?

Wether or not srb2 is an art community and if mods are art is irrelevant. Artists aren't the only ones who deserve to have their wishes respected when it comes to their work.

Intentionally disobeying an author's wishes for no other reason than "but I wanna play 2.2" is an asshole move, art or not

Everyone deserves respect. If someone tells you not to tamper with their work, listen

Wether or not srb2 is an art community and if mods are art is irrelevant. Artists aren't the only ones who deserve to have their wishes respected when it comes to their work.

Intentionally disobeying an author's wishes for no other reason than "but I wanna play 2.2" is an asshole move, art or not

Everyone deserves respect. If someone tells you not to tamper with their work, listen
ignoring nintendo's wishes to not use their ip for the reason than "but I want a mario mod" is also a jerk move, but nobody brings that up now do they?

You are welcome to point out where and how we have not been so.
why are all the moderators so chill with letting dylandude backseat moderate but than ban everybody else that does it?

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back